Video - The Glock - America's Gun

PDA

PTMCCAIN
January 16, 2012, 01:56 AM
I put this little video together as an introduction to the Glock for a few of my friends who wanted to know a bit more about it. So, here it is, for what it is worth.

Link here. (http://youtu.be/ehIMKPqFvpg?hd=1)

If you enjoyed reading about "Video - The Glock - America's Gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Skribs
January 16, 2012, 02:52 AM
How did something made in Austria get the nickname "America's Gun". If any foreign gun were "America's Gun", I'd think it would be the Beretta 92.

Stringfellow
January 16, 2012, 03:31 AM
Was this meant to be a joke?

Nordeste
January 16, 2012, 06:57 AM
Why would the Beretta 92 be America's gun, if it's an Italian design from an Italian company?. Agreed that it's manufactured in Maryland, but still a foreign design. Doesn't Glock have a factory in the US?.

I guess that "America's Gun" title refers to how popular they've become, and that's it.

PTMCCAIN
January 16, 2012, 10:17 AM
Here's the book that will explain why I say the Glock is "America's Gun" ... it is well written, informative and an all around good read.

http://www.amazon.com/Glock-Americas-Paul-M-Barrett/dp/0307719936/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326726649&sr=8-1

jem375
January 16, 2012, 10:29 AM
America's gun is not the Glock, where have you been for the last 100 years going back into history??... the 1911's were back in the first world war, 2nd world war, Korean War, Vietnam war, and probably still used by some special forces...

Tcruse
January 16, 2012, 10:59 AM
I can understand that the "1911" supports would like to think of the 1911 as "America's Gun", however, it is not what the average person is going to pick for a self defense gun. For one, it requires too much maintenance and custom options. It also has not had any technical advancement for many years. The new ones are the same basic design as thoes made 100 years ago.

For the "non-gun" person, the term Glock has become like Xerox is to copiers. Almost a generic term for a modern auto-loader. Just pay close attention to the TV series that have guns displayed, many times the actual gun on the screen is something other than a Glock, but will be called a Glock. I have recently read an action book, that talked about the "external safty" on his 40 cal Glock. An example of the author using "Glock" as a generic gun rather than a brand name.

Glock is not the first polymer gun, but it is the gun that made the polymer guns perferred over all metal guns. It has also proven to the most used by LE organizations in the US. Certainly, many other polymer guns used ideas (and copyrights) from Glocks. Glocks have changed the way we think about guns in general.

So, in my opinion, Glock has as much claim to being the "America's Gun" as any gun has.

PTMCCAIN
January 16, 2012, 11:07 AM
See comment #5 if you would like to understand the phrase: "America's gun" in reference to the Glock.

David E
January 16, 2012, 11:26 AM
have recently read an action book, that talked about the "external safty" on his 40 cal Glock. An example of the author using "Glock" as a generic gun rather than a brand name.

No, its not.

It could be an example if a gun-savvy writer referring to a Cominolli thumb safety add-on.

But most likely, it's a clueless dumb cluck trying to sound like he knows what he's talking about.

He only knows Glock is a brand name. That's why he used it.

PTMCCAIN
January 16, 2012, 11:30 AM
Well, heck, I don't know about you fellows but I really like the grip safety and thumb safeties on my Glocks.

:cool:

Skribs
January 16, 2012, 01:49 PM
The reason I said "if any FOREIGN gun were to be America's gun it would be the Beretta 92" is because that is what is standard-issue in the army if they deem you need a pistol.

KodiakBeer
January 16, 2012, 02:52 PM
Glock is the Toyota Corolla of guns.

jem375
January 16, 2012, 03:01 PM
Well, heck, I don't know about you fellows but I really like the grip safety and thumb safeties on my Glocks.

:cool:
some people can chew gum and walk at the same time... nothing wrong with safeties.. grip safety?.. you have to grip the handgun to fire it anyway, well most people do, obviously you don't...lol

1911austin
January 16, 2012, 03:07 PM
America's gun is not the Glock, where have you been for the last 100 years going back into history??... the 1911's were back in the first world war, 2nd world war, Korean War, Vietnam war, and probably still used by some special forces...

Amen brother.

bds
January 16, 2012, 10:10 PM
Note: This is coming from a Glock fan with several hundred thousand rounds shot through various models.

With better ergonomics (grip angle, grip size, etc.) and full ambi controls, I could easily see M&Ps becoming the next "America's Gun - Made in USA" if S&W sold them with better triggers that APEX Tactical offers (maybe S&W should consider buying APEX). ;)

Yes I own both and like them both. With Glocks, I "learned" to accommodate them. With M&P, they accommodate me.

12gaugeTim
January 16, 2012, 10:41 PM
I will never refer to a boxy piece of unergonomic foreign plastic as America's gun.
Sorry, maybe that was a little biased.
But honestly, who could call anything but a 1911 America's gun? Who could consider any import at all America's gun? This makes me sad :(

digsigs226
January 16, 2012, 10:45 PM
Glock being America's Gun?

Much like the Dallas Cowbows being "America's team!" :neener:

armoredman
January 16, 2012, 10:57 PM
Glock? BLECH! The only guns officially adopted as "state guns" are the 1911, for Utah, and the Colt SAA, for Arizona. No other political entity has adopted, like a state bird or flower, an "official" sidearm, other than issued sidearms.
I'd have to go with either of the above sidearms as America's handgun - both have done FAR more for our country than the G-rock.

1SOW
January 17, 2012, 12:42 AM
:what::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

http://bestsmileys.com/lol/1.gif (http://bestsmileys.com/lol/1.gif)

re AMERICAN GUN:
Winchester Repeating Rifle can contend
Colt 1911 has already won pistols
Colt SA six-shooter is also a strong contender for revolvers
Browning and Thompson set records for machine guns

dcarch
January 17, 2012, 01:10 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here...
Gentlemen, I believe this was a sincere video expressing his honest opinion.

mljdeckard
January 17, 2012, 01:24 AM
Yep. "Volkswagen. America's car."

"Corona. America's Beer."

"Pravda. America's newspaper."

Makes perfect sense to me.

tipoc
January 17, 2012, 04:57 AM
The author of the book "Glock: The Rise of America's Gun", Paul M. Barrett is a managing editor of Buisness Week magazine. He is not a gun guy, not a gun writer or a shooter. He wrote the book largely as an expose of Gaston Glock and the rise of Glocks in the U.S. (a rise that is on the wane now days). He is a business writer.

Citing him as an authority on why Glocks should be called "America's Gun" seems to me an odd choice.

tipoc

Double Naught Spy
January 17, 2012, 10:03 AM
Citing him as an authority on why Glocks should be called "America's Gun" seems to me an odd choice.

Not really from a business perspective...and can you argue with his data? He doesn't seem to be wrong. He has the information to support his claims.

intercooler
January 17, 2012, 10:08 AM
I don't own a Glock. Doubt I ever will either but now a Colt... I can see that being my American gun.

HKGuns
January 17, 2012, 10:08 AM
Not off to a great start on only your 8th post. Better keep this stuff over on gLoCk talk. If you're actually joking, and I sincerely hope you are, please ignore. But if you're joking you should be more clear or it appears to be trolling for a reaction.

It isn't even close to being America's gun.

Bobson
January 17, 2012, 10:23 AM
Who really cares whether its America's gun or not? Take it for what it is - a bit of info on Glocks in general.

Get over it, and stop ridiculing this guy. If he is trolling, you all just lost. And if he's not, you're all being jerks unnecessarily. You're wrong either way.

jem375
January 17, 2012, 10:29 AM
yeah, he is a troll, the same post is on other websites also....

tipoc
January 17, 2012, 12:29 PM
The ops (PTMCCAIN) video ain't bad from what I saw of it, I did not watch the whole thing, a bit long. Seems sincere.

Posting his vid in a number of gun forums is not unusual, others do that. Doesn't seem a troll to me, based on what I see.

I question the designation of the Glock as "America's Gun". The op is not the first to do that though, the first, from what I know, is the business writer Paul M. Barrett.

Fans of Glocks may readily embrace the term. I haven't seen a good argument for granting the Glock that designation though. What qualifies a gun for that title? Is it granted by congress? By a secret cabal of gun writers? The Pope? In this case it seems to be a writer for Business Week (I have not read Barrett's book). Is that enough to make it "America's Gun"?

tipoc

FIVETWOSEVEN
January 17, 2012, 05:23 PM
I can understand that the "1911" supports would like to think of the 1911 as "America's Gun", however, it is not what the average person is going to pick for a self defense gun. For one, it requires too much maintenance and custom options. It also has not had any technical advancement for many years. The new ones are the same basic design as thoes made 100 years ago.

My brother isn't much of a shooter but he picked a 1911 over a Glock. They hardly require as much maintenance as you claim (really?) and custom options are just that, custom options, but not needed. It has had technological advancements, just look at the STI 2011 guns not to mention the changes that have happened since it's introduction in 1911, what changes are you looking for? Glocks haven't changed one bit since they were introduced in the 80s aside really from external appearances.

Something tells me you have hardly any experience with the 1911 and have had too much Glock Kool Aid.

I've been seeing a decline of Glocks, I have been seeing more M&Ps and XD's and still a lot of 1911s but not as many Glocks. The big reason why so many LEOs carry Glocks is because of the deals they get on the guns. For turning in their old duty gear and guns, they can buy a brand new Glock for around $150 a piece. Because of that, LEOs jump on that. It's not really because of it being a wonder gun but mostly economics.

Double Naught Spy
January 17, 2012, 07:07 PM
Okay, well I am almost exclusively a 1911 guy. I don't care if somebody writes a book calling Glock America's gun.

Glock does seem to be a great gun for many Americans and many LEOs who aren't really gun people, at least in 9mm. It is a gun that seems to work despite notoriously poor maintenance. There is something to be said for that. I don't know why folks don't better or properly maintain their guns, but they don't. Glocks run well when maintained as well, of course.

I don't like Glocks, personally. I don't like the trigger, grip, or grip angle. .45 acp (my preferred caliber) Glocks seem to be problematic. I don't own a Glock. Glocks are not for me, but they do seem to be darned good guns that are owned by a LOT of people and not just cops who get them cheaply.

StrikeFire83
January 17, 2012, 07:31 PM
I love Glocks (check my siggy) but this is WEAK SAUCE.

Dr.Mall Ninja
January 17, 2012, 08:13 PM
I'm sorry the title" Glock: America's Gun" is retarded... There are so many guns that could be called that, the Glock is not one of them.

Like them or Hate them, not much about Glock is American, not everything that is great is from the U.S

Winston Churchill: America's Prime Minister.

gunnutery
January 17, 2012, 08:41 PM
Wow guys, give the OP a break! It took us until post #28 to actually mention how the video was. So he used a poor reference to a book currently on shelves, do we have to completely derail a new member for trying to make a helpful interductory(sp) glock video? This is The High Road by the way.

I for one applaud his efforts.

Strykervet
January 17, 2012, 08:53 PM
Glocks really caught on here, I get it. I've argued this before, maybe in different words. It did for plastic pistols what the 1911 did for autoloaders in general. I'd say they both are examples of the most American of pistols. Those two are copied more than any other --and I consider Sigma, M&P, Kahr and just about any other poly framed striker fired pistol to be a Glock descendent (which itself descends from the VP70, but that is another story).

That it is made in Austria means little. You can't really make a Glock elsewhere due to the tenifer, and certainly not in the US. And guess which country buys most of 'em? I have six!

k soze
January 17, 2012, 10:17 PM
It is amazing how polarizing Glocks are. I have shot them and considered buying them a few times but... I hate the feel of them. I have few 1911s and variants as well as BHPs, they just feel better to me.

I don't hate Glocks, I recognize some of the features of them for CC are very good for some, but I won't own one based off of the grip.

As far as being "Americas Gun" no way. Most popular in the last 20 years... sure.

PTMCCAIN
January 18, 2012, 07:48 AM
I own three Glocks and three 1911s. I enjoy the all.

You know, calling the Glock the "Toyota Corolla" of the gun world is actually a pretty high compliment when you think about it.

It's not much to look at. It can even be said to be beautiful in an ugly sort of way, many own them and they have proven to be extremely reliable.

As for the "trolling" remarks....hey...everyone has the right to an opinion, and I'd even use my Glock to defend that right.

;)

Cheers.

tipoc
January 18, 2012, 05:41 PM
Unfortunately the "America's Gun" title derailed much discussion of the content of the vid. But like the fella who changed his name to Shenanigans To Come, even though he had a good resume and history, he found that getting hired was a bit tough.

If I recall from the reviews I read of the fellas book he bestowed the name based on the rapid rise of Glocks within law enforcement beginning in the late 80s early 90s and popularity of sales over the last 2 decades or so. Still popular but the leo market for Glocks has weakened some. At any rate I think it takes for than 2 1/2 decades to earn the title "America's Gun".

The Colt SAA and it's many clones (including Ruger's and Freedom Arms, etc.) have earned that title many times over and still hold it. A quintessential American gun there. The other is the 1911 which along with the two calibers it introduced to the world (the 45acp and the 38 Super) have said America, in big letters, all over the globe for 100 years now. Takes time to earn that title.

tipoc

bergmen
January 18, 2012, 06:40 PM
Here's an idea. Read the book then come back here and comment on the content and why you think the book is titled as it is. That's what I'm doin'.

Just a thought...

Dan

FIVETWOSEVEN
January 18, 2012, 07:07 PM
As I recall, it's because of how the Glock gained popularity fast in this country. Even so, it's not like the 1911 had a 70 year track record of popularity that continues to this day before the Glock came out...

BeerSleeper
January 18, 2012, 09:37 PM
The glock is America's gun like McDonald's is America's restaurant.
:barf:

It's everywhere, but that doesn't mean it is representative of America, that just means it's a marketing success.

TennJed
January 19, 2012, 12:22 PM
yeah, he is a troll, the same post is on other websites also....
i was not aware that posting the same thing on multiple sites made you a troll. I think the content of the post makes you a troll. If you are posting something just to get people angry makes you a troll regardless of the number of boards you post on.

I post the same thing on multiple boards often. When i post something i am usually looking for different opinions. Reaching out to te most people is a good way to do this

FIVETWOSEVEN
January 19, 2012, 12:54 PM
I'm only an active poster on this board but I understand posting a carbon copy on other websites. They want to get the most discussion out of their posts by posting multiple times.

PTMCCAIN
January 19, 2012, 02:14 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys, and for watching the video. Just checked the watch count on the video on YouTube and it is over 1,100 views now and a good chunk of those views have come directly from "HighRoad.org"

So, thanks.

And thanks to the folks who have sent me private message of encouragement.

Some choose to take the low road, but I'll take the High Road!

PTMCCAIN
April 26, 2012, 07:48 PM
The book is still doing very well.

tarosean
April 26, 2012, 08:19 PM
Some choose to take the low road, but I'll take the High Road!

Hmmmm, did you eventually give credit to the author of the book?

I didnt watch the entire thing as the bits i watched were swiped right from the book.

SleazyRider
April 26, 2012, 08:26 PM
Enjoyed the book, enjoyed the video. Nice job!

theQman23
April 26, 2012, 08:38 PM
there is nothing wrong with an informative video, especially a safety oriented one, that is always welcomed.

And before I say this, I own 2 glocks, and LOVE BOTH OF THEM as being 2 of the BEST guns I own.

But..... honestly........ to say that the Glock is America's gun is to slap in the face of soldiers, troopers, aficianado's, and civilians who have trusted the 1911 for over a century now.

Again, I love my glocks. And will buy more. Just as I will buy more smiths, and rugers, and 1911's etc etc...... but to say that an Austrian gun is America's gun is just historically wrong.

PTMCCAIN
April 26, 2012, 08:53 PM
Qman, you really need to read the book to understand his point. It's very well done.

meanmrmustard
April 26, 2012, 10:31 PM
I'm sorry the title" Glock: America's Gun" is retarded... There are so many guns that could be called that, the Glock is not one of them.

Like them or Hate them, not much about Glock is American, not everything that is great is from the U.S

Winston Churchill: America's Prime Minister.
Ha! Too true.

PTMCCAIN
April 27, 2012, 05:28 AM
Read the book, and consider how using the word "retarded" as you did reflects poorly on you.

SFsc616171
April 27, 2012, 10:39 AM
Dear PTMCCAIN,
I wnt to look at your video, that you produced in support of your argument that the Glock is "America's Gun". As an American disabled veteran of Vietnam, I understand that I must use 'self-editing tools' to exercise my right to free speech among ADULTS.
1. For the backstop of your video, you have enacted a very sincere INSULT among the American military crowd! How???? Your display items are: American GI web belt (tan color), with the following - Canvas magazine pouch for 1911 magazines tan; WW2 American GI helmet, leather 1911 military holster, M1 Garand Enbloc -loaded, USMC Kabar with USMC leather scabbard. All items are of military historical period PRIOR to the time of said Austrain named Glock.
2. Attempting to connect the nation of Austria, with anything American, is an anethema, a taboo, a no-no. Why? Austria shall ever be connected as the birthplace of a historical madman named Adolf Hitler.
3. Colt, Smith and Wesson have proven themselves, from the Colt Patterson and the S and W Schofield forward, for the title "America's Guns", more so than any other handgun out there, including Enfield or Webley, period.

PTMCCAIN
April 27, 2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and for watching the video.

2ndamd
April 27, 2012, 01:04 PM
A 5 second check of guns for safety is all that is needed. No lectures please.

PTMCCAIN
April 27, 2012, 01:08 PM
You'd be surprised, or not, what the safety nazis do to YouTube videos if you don't prove beyond any shadow of doubt that the gun is clear and safe, you can always skip ahead, so ... no lectures please.

But thanks for watching.

: )

Manson
April 27, 2012, 01:34 PM
Pulling a title from a book may not be the best idea. But America's gun contenders are the likes of the 1911 and a number of other historically important guns. Not with a 30 year history but with a 100 year history or longer.

But the whole title thing may be nitpicking. Maybe it's meant to describe "America's most popular gun." Maybe.

PTMCCAIN
April 27, 2012, 01:41 PM
It is scandalous, I know, to 1911 lovers to consider the simple fact that a Glock or any polymer pistol is easier to maintain and more reliable than a 1911, with less babying, particularly as consumer demand 1911s that have slide to frame specs that John Browning never imagined.

I say this as the very proud owner of three beautiful 1911 pistols.

tarosean
April 27, 2012, 11:56 PM
It is scandalous, I know, to 1911 lovers to consider the simple fact that a Glock or any polymer pistol is easier to maintain and more reliable than a 1911, with less babying, particularly as consumer demand 1911s that have slide to frame specs that John Browning never imagined.

I say this as the very proud owner of three beautiful 1911 pistols.

Then you would think you would have mentioned that Browning invented the .45ACP as well as the 1911 (per vid)

The book that you keep mentioning paints Glock in a poor light, IMO. Course thats probably why Barret was tossed from SHOT 2012...

It wouldn't exist for Austria's refusal to give a contract to a foreign company (with Styer submitting a turd), police corruption, freebies, buy backs. etc. etc.

The borderline illegal stuff is much more interesting than the actual gun.

Oh, and I also find it appalling with your backdrop. (and I own a Glock)

PTMCCAIN
April 28, 2012, 08:55 AM
Tarosean, thanks for your comment, obviously, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I respect that.

Now, to your comments...I'm amused you find the background "appalling."

As for the book painting GLOCK in a bad light, well, it depends. The pistol is painted in a very positive light, the Glock company? Not so much, but GLOCK brought that criticism on itself with its shady business practices and ethics.

I'm wondering actually if you have read the book.

As for what happened to Paul Barrett at SHOT Show 2012, let's let him explain:

Las Vegas, NV --(Ammoland.com)- In what might be an amusing first for the gun industry, I was both banned and widely praised at this year’s SHOT Show. Let me explain.

Crown has just published my book, GLOCK: The Rise of America’s Gun, a narrative history of the iconic semiauto pistol, its inventor, and the marketing phenomenon that revolutionized the U.S. firearm market. The book explains the unique appeal of the Glock as well as the corporate intrigue and controversy that have made the Glock company an object of fascination in gun circles (for example: the 1999 attempt on Gaston Glock’s life arranged by one of his own financial advisers).

Apparently, the executives at Glock Inc., the Smyrna, Ga., subsidiary of Glock GmbH are worried about the book’s look behind the scenes at the company. So Glock Inc. forced the National Shooting Sports Foundation to rescind my press credentials for the 2012 SHOT Show expo floor. Talk about disrespect for First Amendment free speech rights!

No matter. Using garden-variety reportorial techniques, I managed to make my way around SHOT Show, see all of my contacts in the industry, and find – much to my delight – that the book is being enthusiastically embraced.

The good folks at 5.11 Tactical invited me to participate in their terrific authors panel. Lone Wolf Distributors sold GLOCK: The Rise of America’s Gun from their booth on the floor. Keisler Law Enforcement asked me to sign a dozen copies they purchased, including one for industry legend Doug Keisler (thanks, Doug!). Jeff Cahill of Tango Down had the book at his company’s booth. Frank DiNuzzo, Glock Inc.’s former chief in-house trainer, was patroling the floor singing the praises of GLOCK: The Rise of America’s Gun, in which he is a character, of course. Ditto for Cameron Hopkins, the NRA “Industry Insider” blogger.
GLOCK - The Rise of America’s Gun

GLOCK - The Rise of America’s Gun

If GLOCK: The Rise of America’s Gun elicits kind words from the gun industry, it’s gotta make you wonder what the people in Smyrna are so worried about.

JTQ
April 28, 2012, 09:00 AM
PTMCCAIN wrote,
Thanks for all the feedback guys, and for watching the video. Just checked the watch count on the video on YouTube and it is over 1,100 views now and a good chunk of those views have come directly from "HighRoad.org"
I don't fully understand the commercial uses of YouTube, but since I do see an ad on your YouTube video, do you somehow get paid for the number of views to your video's?

If so, is this why out of your current 57 posts, 18 were used to start threads that link to a YouTube video you produced? Of the other two threads you started, one was an intro thread and the other was to sell brass. It almost seems as if you are using this forum to send members to your YouTube channel.

While I can appreciate the entrepreneurial spirit, it seems to me as if you are using your fellow THR members to make a buck.

PTMCCAIN
April 28, 2012, 09:03 AM
Oh, good grief. Really?

I enjoy making and sharing my videos. I spend a lot of time on them and get a lot of enjoyment out of sharing them and getting feedback, which, fortunately, on the whole, is positive.

Do I make a few dollars on them? Sure. I get whopping checks from Google for the enormous sum of $20 bucks or so a month. I happened to hit the lottery recently when one video I made was featured for couple days on YouTube's home page and in their trending video sections. A total fluke.

How about taking the high road?

Manson
April 28, 2012, 09:49 AM
Actually OP judging by the number of video's you seem to be producing and the number of gun forums I see you marketing them my original assertions that you are only interested in attention and self promotion looks more and more likely.

The point you are missing here, or more likely ignoring as it does not suit your agenda is that Glock can not be America's gun as it was not made in America. The current US facility does not make it American any more than the Honda plant in Ohio makes Honda the American car.

People have been saying and you seem to be oblivious to the fact that there is something unpatriotic about that assertion. You came on here and several other sites asking for opinions. Now you have them.

ETA: I don't think anyone considers the use of the word stupid or telling fellow posters to get a grip the high rode.

PTMCCAIN
April 28, 2012, 09:56 AM
OK, back to the point.

The reason the Glock is called "America's Gun" both in the book and in the title of my video is because it has become the most popularly used firearm among law enforcement and private citizens, for several decades, firmly anchored in place that way, hence, "America's Gun."

If you want to learn more and get a better understanding of why and how Glock has risen to this level of popularity, the book is a very interesting read.

It gives the good, the bad and the ugly of Gaston Glock's handgun and the company that has grown up around it.

I respect opinions and everyone is of course free to share. I, of course, can not agree that referring to the Glock as America's gun, as explained above, is "unpatriotic."

But, to each his own, it is a free country, thank God.

: )

REAPER4206969
April 28, 2012, 10:19 AM
The Glock 22 and 23 is unquestionably "America's Gun."

Designed for the FBI, used by everyone from mall security to Army special forces, it has gave more in the service of this country in 22 years than the 1911 has in 101.

The only handgun that rivals its service record is the Smith and Wesson revolver.

PTMCCAIN
April 28, 2012, 10:25 AM
Yes, that's interesting, following that thought, you could say that the Glock 21 is "America's Glock" ... since it was specifically designed to accomodate America's love affair with the .45ACP.

I have a Glock 21 and it's, by far, my favorite full sized Glock, and I find it to be extremely accurate. I can routinely get on a LEO target at 50 yards with it, but find it more difficult to do that with my Glock 17. Maybe it's just me though.

Your comment about the 1911 is sure to bring down on you a world of hurt from the 1911 fanatics! [love the 1911 too]

dcarch
April 28, 2012, 11:22 AM
I love both the Glock and the 1911. That being said, I don't see the reason to insult the OP over simple issues of preference in tools.

PTMCCAIN
April 28, 2012, 11:29 AM
Same here. I really enjoy my Glocks and my 1911s. I have a great time with them all at the range, and a Glock 26 is my CCW.

Can't we all get along?

lionking
April 28, 2012, 03:41 PM
Well the Glock has become one of the most popular handguns in America and it was a trend setter can't argue that.

PTMCCAIN
April 28, 2012, 03:42 PM
Bingo, and that's why the book was titled, "America's Gun."

PTMCCAIN
April 28, 2012, 03:43 PM
Trivia buffs, what was the first motion picture the Glock was featured in?

dcarch
April 28, 2012, 05:12 PM
Are we talking about the porcelain Glock 7? :D

PTMCCAIN
April 28, 2012, 05:22 PM
Movie title...?

Smith357
April 29, 2012, 08:33 AM
And now for some more Perfection from the Glock marketing dept.

The reason the Glock popular is they undercut all the pricing in the law enforcement market 30 years ago.

America's guns are the 1911 and the Handejector, the Glock is made in Austria.

PTMCCAIN
April 29, 2012, 08:35 AM
You think that was the only reason....?

You would be mistaken.

Ash
April 29, 2012, 09:10 PM
I've avoided the conversation, but come on, Glock fanboys like to step up and claim there's is better than the rest, that is perfect, or perhaps that it is THE pistol. It often follows up with "'nuff said."

What surprises me most, is just how surprised early Glock posters are surprised that not everyone in the world seeks to join hands and sign Glock-bye-yah.

Glocks are fine. America's gun? Not in my opinion. And, since it really is just opinion, I say 35 angels on the end of the pin.

tarosean
April 29, 2012, 11:37 PM
I'm wondering actually if you have read the book.

Your right, i actally listened to it on a 17hr flight from Qatar to the US.

Tcruse
April 30, 2012, 09:22 AM
And now for some more Perfection from the Glock marketing dept.

The reason the Glock popular is they undercut all the pricing in the law enforcement market 30 years ago.

America's guns are the 1911 and the Handejector, the Glock is made in Austria.
I see a lot of posters think that it is bad that "Glock" was cheaper than the competition in the early days and that was a bad thing. I also see a lot of posters that claim that "Glock" is way over priced since the manufacturing cost has been "guestimated" at less than $100 and that is a bad thing. So, they the price is both too cheap and too expensive at the same time for some people.
I also have noticed a lot of postings that seem to say that "Glock is made in Austria" and that is bad. I do not hardly see any postings claiming that the fact that XD is made in Coatia is a bad thing. Also there are lots of Glocks made out side of Austria, like Georgia.
My conclusion is that Glocks numerous enough that both the "lovers" and the "haters" go to great lengths to find something to complain about.

marksman13
April 30, 2012, 09:44 AM
Anybody that claims that Glock is not America's gun needs to open his eyes. Look what your local police officers carry. More often then not it is a Glock 17 or Glock 22. Yes I realize that there are agencies that carry Sigs, M&Ps, Berettas and what have you, but Glock has the majority of the American law enforcement market, which let's face it, is the segment of the gun market that is most visible.

The 1911 has had it's run. It's a good pistol with timeless lines and feel that conjures up images of pure Americana, but it is not a serious contender for Glock's market shares. There is a reason that Kimber keeps beating that LAPD SWAT horse, they don't have many other LEO contracts to hang their hats on. The 1911 is a poor choice for a duty weapon when compared to modern options, including Glock. It's heavy, it's capacity is limited, it's expensive, it's more time consuming to maintain and often it's just not as reliable as more modern designs.

This translates to the civilian market. People buy what cops buy. Yes, there are exceptions, but I can't tell you how many Glock 22s we sell because people come in and ask, "Isn't this what cops use?" It's not great logic and it's the lazy way to make a decision, but it happens every day, often multiple times per day. Often times it doesn't even matter how the gun feels to the customer. They have heard the name Glock, or they've heard about the torture tests, or their cop buddy recommended Glock, so by George that's what they are getting. You can't even change their mind about the caliber.

I guess what I'm saying is if you look at things from a real world perspective, Glock is "modern" America's gun. It had everything that Americans look for. It's cheap, it's easy, it's available and it's good enough. It's McDonald's in a handgun, and though I'd never say McDonald's was my favorite burger there is a reason it is one of the most successful franchises in the world.

Smith357
April 30, 2012, 12:20 PM
I see a lot of posters think that it is bad that "Glock" was cheaper than the competition in the early days and that was a bad thing. I also see a lot of posters that claim that "Glock" is way over priced since the manufacturing cost has been "guestimated" at less than $100 and that is a bad thing. So, they the price is both too cheap and too expensive at the same time for some people.
I also have noticed a lot of postings that seem to say that "Glock is made in Austria" and that is bad. I do not hardly see any postings claiming that the fact that XD is made in Coatia is a bad thing. Also there are lots of Glocks made out side of Austria, like Georgia.
My conclusion is that Glocks numerous enough that both the "lovers" and the "haters" go to great lengths to find something to complain about.

So .....
I guess Honda is America's motorcycle, because they are inexpensive, some are made in Ohio, and there are more of them sold than American marks.

JPG19
April 30, 2012, 12:54 PM
I can't help but notice the irony of this conversation occurring on TheHighRoad.org. At the same time, last I checked there were no official criteria for the designation of "America's Handgun." Thus, anyone can accurately describe any handgun as America's Handgun. The OP and his supporters have some strong arguments on their side, as do his dissenters. "You're wrong. No, you're wrong!" arguments are as lame and futile as stating that one's father could beat up another's.

Nice vid, OP.

Comedian
April 30, 2012, 01:29 PM
What exactly is the criteria that one is required to meet before being declared "[Insert Country]'s gun".

JPG19
April 30, 2012, 02:11 PM
My point exactly.

PTMCCAIN
April 30, 2012, 05:20 PM
Thanks, glad you liked the video

Ash
April 30, 2012, 05:59 PM
Given that the revolver was carried in America for the last 160 years, the revolver is undoubtably America's Gun. It was carried by American police for the last 140 years. Glock has quite a while before it gets to catch up to that. Considering Colt and Smith & Wesson dominated said market, them Smith & Wesson gets to claim, with a far greater lineage and pedigree, to be America's gun - more significant because S&W autos were also being used by police.

Go back 20 years, and Glock could not hope to make such a statement. That is akin to looking outside at 6:00 and deciding that, all of a sudden, America's weather is cooling and the light is going away.

Hunter2678
April 30, 2012, 06:02 PM
The only guns that can be called Americas gun IMO are the models that have helped up win wars and keep our sovereignty..ala 1911's, M1 garands,M16s etc..crock's..er I mean glocks dont even come close.

marksman13
April 30, 2012, 06:04 PM
This sounds like a board full of Alabama fans. Always living in the past. This is not the late 1800's. It's not the 1950's. Heck, it's not even the 1990's. Glock is more engrained into American culture than any other handgun in the present, and it's not even a close race. You will not find any firearm more instantly recognizable in American culture than a Glock pistol. I know it hurts some of your sentimental feelings, but it is the truth. The Smith and Wesson revolver and the 1911 have been replaced as the go-to gun in America.

Comedian
April 30, 2012, 07:38 PM
Glock is more engrained into American culture than any other handgun in the present, and it's not even a close race. You will not find any firearm more instantly recognizable in American culture than a Glock pistol.It's not really instantly recognizable, the word "Glock" is just used as a catch-all term for polymer handguns (or any gun really) by the media and people who don't know a whole lot about firearms. That doesn't make it iconic or ingrained in American culture, just a buzz word people use to give the impression of knowledge regarding firearms. If I were to set the criteria for determining "America's Gun" I'd say it'd have to be something that's instantly recognizable and unambiguously American.

REAPER4206969
April 30, 2012, 07:54 PM
You will not find any firearm more instantly recognizable in American culture than a Glock pistol.

I'm pretty sure Beretta would win that title.

marksman13
April 30, 2012, 08:11 PM
I don't think the Beretta 92 (I am assuming that is the Beretta you are referring to.)is on the same level as Glock. The silhouette of a Glock 17 (ugly as it may be) is one that many Americans have seen in some form or fashion. The Beretta 92 may be in the top 5, but I don't think it has the name recognition or visual recognition of a Glock.

My experience is limited to my part of the country and military experience with guys from all over the world. The number one handgun customers request to look at in our store is Glock. That is with no prompting from us, no Glock advertising on or in the building. That is people walking in off the street and saying, "I want to buy a pistol. What Glocks do you carry?"

I'm not arguing whether Glock has the history of a 1911, Colt SAA or even a Beretta 92. It's not close. Those firearms have served Americans well for a long time and through several wars. I'm not saying Glock will have the longevity of either of those pistols, though for practical purposes and defensive purposes, the Colt SAA has gone the way of the dinosaurs. What I am saying is that right now, like it or not Glocks are the most popular and one of the most trusted pistols in the country. I realize there are parts of the country where Sigs are popular and parts where XDs are popular, but by and large the Glock generally outsells it's competition across several demographics.

Ash
April 30, 2012, 08:16 PM
Right now, Glocks are popular. But, the 1911 remains popular. Indeed, there are more manufacturers of it than polymer, striker-fired pistols. I've no problem with Glock, but that's like saying, as has been said, that the Accord is America's car (or was when it let in sales). Glock is no flash-in-the-pan, but it still cannot match other greats. Looking in the past? It is the body of usage that determines the king of the hill.

You probably thought the New Orleans Saints were America's football team.

tarosean
April 30, 2012, 09:00 PM
Glock is more engrained into American culture than any other handgun in the present, and it's not even a close race.

If you think the average American can tell the difference between a Glock and Nighthawk. ( i hate to steal a lyric) you've got another thing coming.

tarosean
April 30, 2012, 09:23 PM
I also see a lot of posters that claim that "Glock" is way over priced since the manufacturing cost has been "guestimated" at less than $100 and that is a bad thing. So, they the price is both too cheap and too expensive at the same time for some people.

78 bucks according to the author of the book.

TimboKhan
April 30, 2012, 09:54 PM
Allrighty Folks, I think this one has gone on long enough.

If you enjoyed reading about "Video - The Glock - America's Gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!