Hog Hunting in South Florida

PDA

spider 69
January 16, 2012, 08:38 AM
I haven't hunted in a long time, but Flintknapper's saga has inspired me to help do something about them here where I live. we've got too many invasives here already, pythons, monitor lizards, iguanas, hogs etc. I know I can't solve the problem but one less is one less.

The hunts I've seen offered around here by the local outfitters seem pretty "canned" and I wonder if anyone could steer me toward a more natural experience.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hog Hunting in South Florida" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ultradoc
January 16, 2012, 08:50 AM
Sounds like fun to me. Keep us posted.

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
January 16, 2012, 11:00 AM
Spider, if you have any orange groves around where you want to hunt, go talk to the owners/manager of the grove. Most of them would be more than happy to let you take as many hogs as you can off their place. AND I have heard that the meat from a hog that has been feeding heavily off of oranges is dern hard to beat for taste.

Ghost Tracker
January 16, 2012, 11:06 AM
Hogs = pests, you = hunter, farmers = happy, hungry = fed. Sounds like the PERFECT match. Get crackin'!

horsemen61
January 16, 2012, 12:59 PM
Go get em

horsemen61
January 16, 2012, 01:03 PM
What will you be using

tightgroup tiger
January 16, 2012, 05:14 PM
I know I can't solve the problem but one less is one less.

I hope you take out more than one

spider 69
January 16, 2012, 06:28 PM
FF, thanks for the suggestion. Did a quick search on groves in my area and will be following up. As they're mostly u-pick I'm thinking I'll wait for the end of their season. Maybe they'd let me in when they're fallow.

Right now I'm leaning toward my model 70 in 30-06, but am reserving the decision until I know what kind of country and what ranges I'd be shooting. Could be I'd need something more handy. A lever gun in .44 mag or .45 colt might be right. Either way I'm thinking to pack a sidearm (got both cal) in case I need to follow one into the brush.

I think there's no bag limit on private land here so I'd be fine with taking more than one, but I've always believed in eating what you kill and there can be a lot of meat on a hog.

Double Naught Spy
January 16, 2012, 09:41 PM
I haven't hunted in a long time, but Flintknapper's saga has inspired me to help do something about them here where I live. we've got too many invasives here already, pythons, monitor lizards, iguanas, hogs etc. I know I can't solve the problem but one less is one less.

I think y'all have more laws concerning hog hunting than we do in Texas. Hopefully I am in error on that, but I seem to recall more restrictions (maybe just WMA restrictions?).

I see where since 2010, you have a specific python season. You could have some very interesting hunts!

spider 69
January 18, 2012, 03:20 PM
I think y'all have more laws concerning hog hunting than we do in Texas. Hopefully I am in error on that, but I seem to recall more restrictions (maybe just WMA restrictions?).

I see where since 2010, you have a specific python season. You could have some very interesting hunts!
Don't know Texas, but here any legal hunting weapon anytime on private land with permission. On public lands during hunting season anytime with season appropriate weapon, i.e. bow, muzzleloader etc
with season license.

spider 69
January 18, 2012, 03:28 PM
Our python season was not very successful, less than thirty taken state wide. Plus one had to buy a license without much hope of seeing one. I think they should be "shoot on sight", no license, but nobody asked me.

SEE IT LIKE A NATIVE
January 31, 2012, 09:27 AM
I saw this thread and jumped in because I live in south Florida also ! Most landowners down here are more worried about getting sued than they are about the hogs ! The ones that allow hunting have mostly turned it into a "canned hunt " sorta thing . They often trap hogs on adjacent properties and release them on the hunt areas . that is why the hogs are not much of problem to most farmers , they can get most of them removed for free !
We have hunted at one operation up north of Okeechobee that offer hunting from a tree stand or ground blind , they use feeders to attract the hogs to gun range and release hogs on the property . It is up to you to set the terms of your hunt and decide how you want to hunt and talk to the hunt outfitter ! The cover is often so thick that you won't see a hog unless the dogs find it for you . There is public land hunting available but only during normal big game seasons . Private land can be hunted anytime of the year with no limits on the number or size of the hogs . Good luck

spider 69
February 2, 2012, 01:29 PM
I saw this thread and jumped in because I live in south Florida also ! Most landowners down here are more worried about getting sued than they are about the hogs ! The ones that allow hunting have mostly turned it into a "canned hunt " sorta thing . They often trap hogs on adjacent properties and release them on the hunt areas . that is why the hogs are not much of problem to most farmers , they can get most of them removed for free !
We have hunted at one operation up north of Okeechobee that offer hunting from a tree stand or ground blind , they use feeders to attract the hogs to gun range and release hogs on the property . It is up to you to set the terms of your hunt and decide how you want to hunt and talk to the hunt outfitter ! The cover is often so thick that you won't see a hog unless the dogs find it for you . There is public land hunting available but only during normal big game seasons . Private land can be hunted anytime of the year with no limits on the number or size of the hogs . Good luck
Hi SILAN

You're so right. Everybody's litigation happy around here. Not to mention that the area's flat, so nothing to stop bullets if you miss.

I've been looking into an outfitter named Chappy's over by Lake Ochochobee that has stand hunting
Have you heard of them?

Well Now
February 2, 2012, 01:52 PM
Jumping in here too. I have a hunt set up the 11th/12th at Hog Heaven Ranch in Muse, (northwest of Labelle, a bit) and near the Cecil Webb Mgmt area. This will be my first, however the group I'm going with it will be their seventh trip they like it so much.

You can select a blind, tree stand, or stalk. If you want a guaranteed kill, they will give you one of those. Prices are reasonable.

Like you, I would really like to be able to go out on property and attempt to eliminate the hog infestation, but as others have said, owners are afraid of lawsuits, property being abused, and their own animals being killed by irresponsible (hunters?).

As far as the snake hunts, I think you'd have to be with someone that knows the glades pretty well to get off the beaten path. Saying that, a few years back before the problem was announced, I was on a dirt road in the glades about 6 miles off US41 and saw a pretty good size snake cross the road maybe 200-300 yards ahead. By time I reached that point it was gone into heavy brush and along the canal. By the mark left in the dirt on the road it looked to be about 3-4 inches in diameter.

If you find a place to hunt and want company, PM me and I'll do likewise.

SEE IT LIKE A NATIVE
February 12, 2012, 12:54 PM
Good luck on your Hog hunt ! We hunted on the Little Lake lodge and killed hogs with good success ! We stayed overnight and hunted from stands near feeders in the evening and the mornings ! If you didnt get a hog then you could hunt from the buggy using dogs ! I prefer the stand hunts ,but the buggy hunts were an experience ! One of our group made a nice shot on a hog from about 110 yards from the top of the stopped buggy ! he just stayed onthe hog that flushed and waited for him to stop and offer a shot ! kevin

Well Now
February 13, 2012, 08:24 AM
Well the hunt went well. I got two with one shot from about 30 yards. It was super cold and windy so the hogs were tucked away in the thickest stuff they could find. We tried stands but nothing was moving so we got into the brush and palmetto groves looking for them. I didn't even see the second one, she was hidden by the black one. Then black one dropped immediately, the tan one twisted around then dropped.

Our group of 16, took 17 hogs, with one guy not getting anything. One other guy took two with a bow on Saturday. The largest was a nice boar at 215 lbs, followed by a large sow at 200 lbs.

Photo is my guide with the two I shot.

Sealevel
February 13, 2012, 08:31 AM
Would you guys be comfortable taking your Winchester '92 in .357 mag on one of these hog hunts?

Well Now
February 13, 2012, 09:28 AM
Yes, without a doubt. It's all about shot placement.

dprice3844444
February 13, 2012, 11:38 AM
http://search.aol.com/aol/search?query=south+florida+hog+hunting&s_it=keyword_rollover

03Shadowbob
February 13, 2012, 09:54 PM
Here is a nice sow I took a few months back on a buddy's orange grove outside of LaBelle. The scale read 240 which at first I scoffed at until upon dissection where I found 1.5" of bacon on the belly and fat between the ribs, not to mention trying to lift this bi*ch into the trailer. She was a nice one for sure and has eaten great. I got one shoulder left to save for a good occasion.
As far as hunting other's property...good luck. Lawsuits abound everywhere and I don't blame the land owners at all. You just got to befriend one.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s113/BJCWALL/2011Pig.jpg
Here is a decent pic of the sow being skinned with belly shown
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s113/BJCWALL/2011Pig5.jpg

Well Now
February 14, 2012, 09:04 AM
This past weekend was my first time in the Labelle area and I find it both intriguing and awesome at the same time. So many possibilities and so many hogs. Looking at the open areas and seeing all the destruction the hogs are doing to the properties makes me wonder why more owners aren't seeking out hunters or trappers.

spider 69
February 15, 2012, 10:11 PM
I tried google first off. The web pages for many outfitters sound great, but when you look onto them further some have problems, like advertising a tracked swamp buggy that turns out to be an ordinary F-150. Not that there's anything wrong with pickups, but what else might not be what they say?

That's why I appreciate the first hand accounts I've been getting, particularly with pictures. Gives a clear idea of what's going on as to terrain and ranges. Showed me the hunts could change on the fly, so I'm picking up a Rossi Rio Grande in 45/70 to compliment my 30-06. I'll let you guys know how it shoots when I can get some range time.

I'm South of wpb, so I'm looking for an outfit down this way. My work keeps me within four hours of Boca.

JohnB
February 16, 2012, 10:31 PM
I have friends in S. FL that highly recommend Chappy's.
http://www.okeechobee-hunting-fishing.com/chappys_outfitters_hog_hunting.htm

spider 69
February 28, 2012, 03:48 PM
Thanks again for your replies. Besides the pictures posted by Well Now and 03shadowbob I found some youtube videos that seem to show the country by Labelle has heavy brush. With that in mind I decided to pick up a 45/70 levergun, rossi's rio grande. Out of the box it looks pretty good, with good fit to the stocks and no tool marks to the metal. I've ordered some Hornady Leverevolution 325 grain and will be taking it to the range to sight in when it gets here.

dprice3844444
February 28, 2012, 04:03 PM
http://miami.craigslist.org/search/spo?query=hog&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=

Well Now
February 28, 2012, 04:47 PM
I'm using a 300 Blackout (unfortunately not suppressed) for hogs.

Flintknapper
February 28, 2012, 05:00 PM
Spider,

The 45/70 is an excellent choice IMO. I think you will be pleased with its performance on hogs.

Good luck to you,

Flint.

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
February 28, 2012, 05:59 PM
Fine choice for heavy brush hunting. I personally would have opted for a .30/30 lever gun simply for less recoil allowing for faster followups. Of course most factory loaded .45/70, such as the leverloution ammo from hornady, is a bit on the milder side of the cartridges capabilities so they aren't TOO bad about thumping your shoulder. Just place your shots properly. If you deer hunt, try to keep it in your head that the hogs vitals are further forward than that of a deer. If you hit a hog in the same place you picture the vitals of a deer you will more than likely hit liver or just plain gut. This is of course picturing it on a dead broadside shot. Quartering away, aim for the crease pretty much the same as you would a deer. If the only shot you have is a neck shot, those will fool you too, the spine is pretty close to dead center of the neck. Just a tad more centered than that of a deer. Of course, with the cartridge and ammo you have chosen, close may count ;) .

Other than that, good luck in finding some spots and good luck connecting with a LOT of hogs!

Double Naught Spy
February 28, 2012, 07:23 PM
Spider,

The 45/70 is an excellent choice IMO. I think you will be pleased with its performance on hogs.

Good luck to you,

+1
With the possible exception of cowboy action loads (and for them I am not even sure), I don't think you can go too wrong with any .45-70 ammo for hogs. I think you will find the Leverevolution ammo to be a fine performer.

I am probably biased as the first hog I killed was with a Marlin 1895 in .45-70 and Leverevolution ammo. However, I have not been disappointed yet with their combined performance. I took these two last week, a half hour apart, and had to move them only slightly for the image as the second one came in to inspect the first one.

Chrono'd from my Marlin with a 22" barrel, I get right around 1900 fps from the ammo which gives a fairly flat trajectory for the first 110-120 yards and at 200 yards, the adjustment from a 100 yard zero with the 4x scope is only about 3 moa, though my longest hog shot has been only 140 yards. These two were taken at 25-30 yards.
http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt352/HornHillRange/100_1269.jpg

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
February 28, 2012, 07:48 PM
DNS, Are you getting pass through on shoulder shots with that leverevolution .45/70 ammo? I've shot several deer with it in .444 and a couple of hogs with the .30/30. Didn't pass through either hog but the deer presented no problems at passing through at all. Just wondering about the performance of it in .45/70 on hogs. Like in archery, I prefer 2 holes for the occasional shots that aren't drop right there. Makes for easier tracking if needed. Which in most cases isn't.

98Redline
February 29, 2012, 01:23 PM
For a heavy loaded 45/70 round, shoot them just a hair low in the shoulder. That 400+ grain slug will break the shoulder and get the vitals to boot. It also does a good job of anchoring them right where they are hit.

HarcyPervin
March 1, 2012, 11:32 PM
I absolutely love that you put the angry bird on the hogs. Well played, sir.

spider 69
March 2, 2012, 06:26 AM
DNS nice rig. Is that a N550. How do you like it?

I'm leaning toward shooting from a blind and waiting for a neck shot, but I appreciate everyone's info on a hog's vitals. Are they also lower? I plan to eat my kill, so I want to be careful about contamination.

98Redline
March 2, 2012, 08:49 AM
Check out this link

http://www.globaloutfitters.com/Pages/Blog/ArticleDetail.asp?AID=34

spider 69
March 7, 2012, 09:48 AM
98r, DNS, FF, Thanks for your input. I feel much more comfortable about where to target a hog now. Also good to know that you've had good results with the leverevolution ammo. One reason I bought some was to get some quality brass to reload. Has anyone got experience using a Lee Loader in this caliber?

Flintknapper, thanks for the affirmation for my caliber choice. Your thread has provided much good info to me.

The weather here has been too iffy for the range so I've been cleaning the rossi and getting used to the lever action.

spider 69
March 9, 2012, 04:08 PM
While waiting around for good weather and a day off to be the same day I decided to pick up some optics. Given this round is known to drop like a rock and that my max range shot would probably by 200 yards, where would it be best to set my zero?

dprice3844444
March 9, 2012, 05:22 PM
100 yards should be fine.check out the toby bridges scope from hi-luxoptics.com leatherwood.it's bdc for bp and 45/70 similar tradjectory

Flintknapper
March 9, 2012, 06:23 PM
Spider,

I would sight it in dead on at 100 yds. (1-1/2" high if you expect a shot a bit over 100 yds.)

Unless you are on a stand...it is unlikely you will encounter a 200 yd. shot (where you couldn't move in closer). The exception being hogs that are traveling and don't allow you much time.

Most shots will be 75-100 yds in the setting you describe. Just be sure to note where your rifle (with a particular load) shoots at ranges of 50 yds. 100 yds. and 125 yds.

That is going to cover nearly all of your shooting opportunities.

spider 69
March 11, 2012, 10:22 AM
100 yards should be fine.check out the toby bridges scope from hi-luxoptics.com leatherwood.it's bdc for bp and 45/70 similar tradjectory
That's an interesting scope, but I already ordered a Leupold 1.5-5. I might try them for the next scope I neef

spider 69
March 11, 2012, 11:02 AM
Spider,

I would sight it in dead on at 100 yds. (1-1/2" high if you expect a shot a bit over 100 yds.)

Unless you are on a stand...it is unlikely you will encounter a 200 yd. shot (where you couldn't move in closer). The exception being hogs that are traveling and don't allow you much time.

Most shots will be 75-100 yds in the setting you describe. Just be sure to note where your rifle (with a particular load) shoots at ranges of 50 yds. 100 yds. and 125 yds.

That is going to cover nearly all of your shooting opportunities.
Thanks, Flint. 100 yards it is. I just wanted to be sure the cartridge fired flat enough that I wouldn't have to worry about hold under. Given the heavy brush around here and the fact that I plan to start out in a blind I believe my most likely shot will be 30-60 yards. Since the outfitters guarantee a hog they take you out with dogs if one doesn't come in to the bait site. That's where longer ranges may come in.

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
March 11, 2012, 11:58 AM
Since the outfitters guarantee a hog they take you out with dogs if one doesn't come in to the bait site. That's where longer ranges may come in

Nope. Thats where your knife will come in. When they take you out with dogs, the dogs will bay the hog up (that means corner it) and then they will release a catch dog or 2. It's highly doubtful they would even allow you to fire at a hog that the dogs are trailing on. Those dogs are far from cheap and they wouldn't want one hit. Your longest range will be dependent upon where they set you up when you are in the blind.

spider 69
March 11, 2012, 12:43 PM
Nope. Thats where your knife will come in. When they take you out with dogs, the dogs will bay the hog up (that means corner it) and then they will release a catch dog or 2. It's highly doubtful they would even allow you to fire at a hog that the dogs are trailing on. Those dogs are far from cheap and they wouldn't want one hit. Your longest range will be dependent upon where they set you up when you are in the blind.
Thanks for this. You've got a point. Let me clarify. Some dogs are trained to grab the hog by the snout. That's the situation you are talking about. However, some are trained to flush the hog into the open. The outfitters will put you in a pickup and drive along open fields. One guy around here got one at 140 yds while standing on the roof of the cab.

spider 69
March 11, 2012, 12:52 PM
Also, thanks for cluing me in that it could become a knife hunt. I'll bring my Fallkniven Thor.

SEE IT LIKE A NATIVE
March 11, 2012, 01:29 PM
What outfitter are you hunting with ? We hunted with Little Lake Lodge the past 2 years ! Only saw 2 hogs shot past 50 yards ! One from a stand the other off the top of a buggy after it stopped ! Try this link for calculating bullet drop and zero point . http://www.biggameinfo.com/BalCalc.aspx good luck and give us a hunt report ! Kevin

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
March 11, 2012, 03:01 PM
Spider, your bay dogs always "flush" the hog. That's their job. They get on a hot trail, jump the hog, chase it till it is either cornered or just tired of flight so they turn to kick the hell out of the dogs (and believe me, they turn for THAT reason more than being cornered) and then their "bark" changes from a "trailing bark" to a "bayed bark". I've never seen an outfitter that allows you to shoot at a running hog over their dogs. That's a risk I know I wouldn't take with an animal I have invested a ton of time and money into.

spider 69
March 11, 2012, 06:01 PM
Spider, your bay dogs always "flush" the hog. That's their job. They get on a hot trail, jump the hog, chase it till it is either cornered or just tired of flight so they turn to kick the hell out of the dogs (and believe me, they turn for THAT reason more than being cornered) and then their "bark" changes from a "trailing bark" to a "bayed bark". I've never seen an outfitter that allows you to shoot at a running hog over their dogs. That's a risk I know I wouldn't take with an animal I have invested a ton of time and money into.
FF, neither would I. Believe me, I will heed whatever my outfitter says about when to shoot and when not to. I figure he'll know a lot more about what's going on than I will. Part of what I'll be paying him for. That said, I have been watching youtubes of actual hunts with these outfitters and have seen a hog flushed into a clearing, +/- 100 yds, no dogs in sight. He got taken. Still, it wouldn't hurt to ask if it's ok to take the shot if he hasn't already said so.

spider 69
March 12, 2012, 03:59 PM
What outfitter are you hunting with ? We hunted with Little Lake Lodge the past 2 years ! Only saw 2 hogs shot past 50 yards ! One from a stand the other off the top of a buggy after it stopped ! Try this link for calculating bullet drop and zero point . http://www.biggameinfo.com/BalCalc.aspx good luck and give us a hunt report ! Kevin
Hi Kevin. Up til now been getting my ducks in a row. Got my rifle, ammo and my sight shipped today. Will be taking it to the range next to sight in. Haven 't picked an outfitter yet, but that will be next. Little Lake and Chappy are on my list. I'll decide after I've talked to them and have figured out when me and my buddy are free. Thanks for the link.

stickapig
March 17, 2012, 06:08 PM
ho was the the one that was interested in boar hunting in kentucky I may have some info they would like to know of LBL or better known as land between the lakes wen it comes to hogs in the Ky side

spider 69
March 30, 2012, 10:17 PM
The rings that came with the scope were the wrong size for me. Took a couple of days but I found a local source. Hope to have a range report this weekend.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hog Hunting in South Florida" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!