target question

PDA

poor man
January 16, 2012, 10:58 AM
what is the difference between 100 yard small bore target and a 100 yard large bore? ive got a bunch of 100yd small bore targets and was wanting to use them up, i shoot 22lr 223 308 243 50cal and an old 8mm mouser .. thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "target question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
303tom
January 16, 2012, 01:16 PM
Never heard of large bore targets, I thought that was the stuff out on the impact area.

JRH6856
January 16, 2012, 02:13 PM
It depends on which small-bore target you have and which large-bore target you are comparing it to. The NRA 100yd Small-bore Rifle target is 14"x14" with an 8" black (7-x). The 100yd Large-bore Rifle (Military type) target is 21"x21" with a 6 3/8 black (9-x). There are other sizes for different distances and different positions (prone, standing, etc.)

poor man
January 16, 2012, 02:44 PM
ok i didnt know there was a difference, i am just shooting 100yds for sighting in my guns OR maybe use them for a friendly competition :) these are 12x20 paper targets from score keeper they have about a 8" black circle in them, and say 100yd small bore. thanks

JRH6856
January 16, 2012, 02:59 PM
As long as it isn't for an official competition, you can use anything for a target. I use paper plates a lot.

russ69
January 16, 2012, 03:19 PM
The MR-31 target (slowfire 100 yard reduced) and the smallbore 100 yard target (TQ-4), are similar in black area size but the scoring rings are different. Either one is a very good test of your marksmanship skills. These are designed for prone shooting with a sling.
Feel free to use any target that works for you but if you are practicing for a match you should use the official target for your sport.

gym
January 17, 2012, 04:12 PM
I think it is more the wording than any actual difference. I am assuming that they are selling to people with 308's and up, more sales pitch than anything. I don't see the sizes of the bullseye changing, so what else might it be, darker color for longer distance? The bullet doesn't know the difference.

x_wrench
January 18, 2012, 07:06 PM
i have not used a store bought target in so long i can barely remember what they look like. i design many of my own on my computer and print them off. about 95% of them have a white center so it is easier for my old eyes to see the cross hairs in them. and very little black. anything that would normally be black, i use grey. it is much easier to see holes in grey, than it is black.

If you enjoyed reading about "target question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!