Stock refinish

PDA

Blanco
January 16, 2012, 10:03 PM
I have been lurkin about on here for a while and I figured I would start a post on this and see where it winds up.
I have always done most of my own gun repairs to the mechanicals. I usually have no problem jumping in and getting something done.
This time I think I will seek a bit of advice before going to the deep end.
I have a nice Savage 110 in 30/06 it has always been a meat gun so to speak. Nothing overly beautiful about it, but it has always been better than average in the accuracy department. I am no precision shooter, but this gun has always made me look good.
I am considering doing some cosmetics to the laminated wood stock. Some of the finish is coming off on the butt. it appears to just be a clear poly type finish. The wood is still in great shape. I am contemplating stripping the finish and going back with a rubbed type of oil finish. The stock on this is a 2 tone brown / light yellow.
So share with me the good /bad / ugly of a project like this.
After this I am thinking of adding an ER Shaw Varmint contour barrel? and maybe a timney trigger?

If you enjoyed reading about "Stock refinish" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
woodsoup
January 19, 2012, 08:06 PM
Read this...

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=240961

Take your time, enjoy the work, follow the finish mfg's instructions and you'll make yourself proud!

If you enjoyed reading about "Stock refinish" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!