Killing a possum with a pellet gun?

PDA

bob barker
January 17, 2012, 09:26 PM
I live in The Woodlands (the city north of Houston). I have a possum that gets into my back yard and into my patio area, digging up my flower beds and also eating my Yucca plants. I only have "real guns" and recently bought a Co2 powered pistol to dispatch of the bastard. Will a .177 pellet at 500 fps kill it? I don't mind putting more than one pellet in it as it has an eight shot magazine. Anyone killed one with a pellet gun?

Also to add the shot would be at about 20ft, it hides in a corner that I can get a clean shot at.

If you enjoyed reading about "Killing a possum with a pellet gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
January 17, 2012, 09:32 PM
Yes, a pellet gun will kill one, eventually.

All you need to know is, their brain is about the size of the period on the end of this sentence.
And their central nervous system failed to develop like most other warm blooded mammals we are familiar with.

If you don't hit the tiny brain dead center?
The possum will get up and walk off about 15 minutes after you go back in the house.

A possum isn't really dead until you got him in the frying pan, so to speak!

That's where the old "Playing Possum" thing came from.

rc

bob barker
January 17, 2012, 10:11 PM

All you need to know is, their brain is about the size of the period on the end of this sentence.
And their central nervous system failed to develop like most other warm blooded mammals we are familiar with.

If you don't hit the tiny brain dead center?
The possum will get up and walk off about 15 minutes after you go back in the house.

That's where the old "Playing Possum" thing came from.

rc
Thanks for the reply, they are nasty looking creatures..

NOLAEMT
January 17, 2012, 10:11 PM
I agree, you probably need a high velocity air rifle, along the lines of 1,000 to 1,400 fps.

Robert
January 17, 2012, 10:13 PM
Heck just get you a good flat shovel and swing away. They ain't that scary. Cat food will lure them in like crazy. Then you just scoop him up and wash off the shovel. When I was groing up N of Houston, between Houston and Tomball, we had a huge one that lived in our garage and ate the cat food we put out for the cats. They are dumb, but man will they hiss and make all manner of noise. But the sharp crack of a shovel by my mom no less ended his days of hissing and raiding the cat food.

MCgunner
January 17, 2012, 10:17 PM

That's been my experience, finished him off with a shovel. In the city, what to do? Next time, I'm thinkin' compound bow. :evil: Damned things ate most of my watermelons last year and took off with all the low hanging oranges. I'm hatin' on possums.

rcmodel
January 17, 2012, 10:22 PM
I'm thinkin' compound bow. Be sure to get the arrow before he wakes up and waddles off with it.

Next thing you know, you not only lost a $5 buck arrow.

But the cops and the irate crazy SPCA lady are banging on your door at 3:00 AM!

rc

solvability
January 17, 2012, 10:24 PM
I hate Possums - they take a lot of 22 hits and do not seem to notice for a good while - loathsome creatures.

Liberty1776
January 17, 2012, 10:43 PM
c'mon. trap him. feed him up a couple of weeks on sweet potatoes and other vegs - apples too. then eat him. don't eat him without the feeding process to clean him up some...

NOLAEMT
January 17, 2012, 10:44 PM
supressed .300 blackout ?

perhaps a little pricy, but those possums sure are a pain!

MCgunner
January 17, 2012, 10:46 PM
Be sure to get the arrow before he wakes up and waddles off with it.

Next thing you know, you not only lost a $5 buck arrow.

But the cops and the irate crazy SPCA lady are banging on your door at 3:00 AM!

rc

60 lb Hoyt. I figure it'll shoot through OR pin him to a tree or something. :D

Flintknapper
January 17, 2012, 11:07 PM
rcmodel wrote:

I don't even trust them then! Better to wait 30 minutes. :D ;)

JVaughn
January 17, 2012, 11:09 PM
what about a steel trap followed by the shovel idea?

memphisjim
January 17, 2012, 11:13 PM
well if you are married and your wife loves the flower beds this is your opportunity to convince your wife you need a suppressor !!!!!!!

W.E.G.
January 17, 2012, 11:15 PM
I shot one on the porch once.

Last time I'll ever do that.

That's when I discovered that a possum has a ratio of blood to body mass in similar proportion to the Hollywood ratio of rounds-fired to actual-magazine-capacity.

That sucker left more blood than I would have thought any ten possums could have left.
Porch, stairs all the way down, and lower landing looked like a scene from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

You kill one in occupied territory, and you'll need the Sopranos to clean up the crime scene you create.

bob barker
January 17, 2012, 11:19 PM
well if you are married and your wife loves the flower beds this is your opportunity to convince your wife you need a suppressor !!!!!!!
I am married, and it's a toss up if she likes the flowers better than me! I share a fence with a neighbor, so I am a little worried about shooting a firearm in the yard. Pellet guns are legal inside city limits.

TexasPatriot.308
January 17, 2012, 11:26 PM
I shot one in my pajamas once...never mind the Groucho jokes. I used to have a .22 cal Benjamin when I was a kid, killed many a critter with it, a possum will play "possum" when he does, whack him with whatever you got and finish him off...end of problem.

jbkebert
January 17, 2012, 11:32 PM
Where can I buy some of those $5 arrows. Mine seem to run around $25 each after putting on the broadhead.:(

Golf clubs and shovels or just a plain ole stick do a number on opossum.

offroaddiver
January 17, 2012, 11:32 PM
steel trap. trap and then either put it in a trash can and spray a can of starting fluid (ether) then finish off or fill trash can with water.

Gregaw
January 17, 2012, 11:35 PM
I've killed several with 400-500 fps bb's. I've had it take anywhere from 1 to 20. The only time it took one shot was a lucky neck shot. Must have seperated something in the spine because the dropped like a sack of flour off a countertop. Most of the time it was more than 10. Not a recommended method if other options are available. (but as an early teen it's all I had at the time). The faster the better for sure!

JRH6856
January 17, 2012, 11:38 PM
I shot one possum with 5 .38 spcls (158gr) and 1 .410 slug. Came back 5 minutes later and all that was left was a blood trail...

...never did find the possum.

I did kill one with an axe, though.

Shoot it once or twice with the pellet gun and it may fall over and "play possum". Then you can chop it up into little pieces. I'd separate the pieces though. Possums are the closest thing to zombies I know of.

wyohome
January 17, 2012, 11:38 PM
Shovel handle or baseball bat, toss into neighbors lot.

towboat_er
January 17, 2012, 11:59 PM
C4 http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w285/towboat_er/html/gun-toot-smiley.gif

Derry 1946
January 18, 2012, 12:00 AM
Pellet gun -- even pellet rifle -- not that effective. Trap 'em. My two cents.

303tom
January 18, 2012, 12:29 AM
Did you know that the Opossum is 8 X less apt to have rabies than any other critter in the woods..........

pcf
January 18, 2012, 12:30 AM
I think a .177 at 500fps, is inhumane and irresponsible. I've done it with a .25 Beeman air rifle, however it's as loud as a .22 CB and not any more effective.

I once had a opossum play dead for almost 3 hours. I ambushed him with a spot light, whacked him with a aluminum bat, threw him in the trash and 3 hours later there was all sort of racket as he was trying to get out of the can. I'm glad he didn't stop playing when I picked him up by the tail and was carrying him to the trash.

kyle1974
January 18, 2012, 12:31 AM
Don't shoot him, he's my pet!

tarosean
January 18, 2012, 12:48 AM
Also to add the shot would be at about 20ft, it hides in a corner that I can get a clean shot at.

you will probably find out soon enough that those pistols are woefully inaccurate.

I used to live in Champions Forrest and would trap them and take them to Compaq's land to finish them off... Course that was before the area turned into a thriving metropolis.

Clark
January 18, 2012, 05:41 AM
There was something in the hen house making trouble, so I went out there with a shotgun.

It was a possum under the roost eating chicken droppings.

I smacked with the the shotgun barrel and it knocked it into a galvanized wire chicken cage. I put the cage on the doorstep to show the kids in the morning.
But by morning the possum had pried the lid up and escaped.

Saakee
January 18, 2012, 06:15 AM
My grandmother would take a shovel handle, place it over their neck, then step down to break them when they were trapped on the farm when she was a child.

ckckck
January 18, 2012, 06:29 AM
Trap it, drive it a few miles away, to some woods, say, or your boss' neighborhood, and release. but be ready for a new one, or something else, to move in at your place. Nature won't allow a vacuum, as someone said...

Flintknapper
January 18, 2012, 07:31 AM
303tom wrote:

Did you know that the Opossum is 8 X less apt to have rabies than any other critter in the woods..........

That's because their brain is 8 times smaller than any other critter in the woods.

;)

Sport45
January 18, 2012, 08:36 AM
You can kill it, but it won't do much good. Another one we be there next week...

Dursban will kill the grubs it's digging up.

At least Dursban cured my Armadillo problem when they were rooting up my yard in East Texas.

kanook
January 18, 2012, 09:21 AM
Deer are not armoured, and it seems we need just short of a 50bmg to take them out.

And you are going after a possum withh a BB/pellet gun. God speed my friend :)

TenDriver
January 18, 2012, 11:35 AM
Trap it, drive it a few miles away, to some woods, say, or your boss' neighborhood, and release. but be ready for a new one, or something else, to move in at your place. Nature won't allow a vacuum, as someone said...
Mother in law's house will work too.

Franco2shoot
January 18, 2012, 11:36 AM
Ruger makes a nice +1100fps .177 air rifle, w/scope its about 120 bucks(AirHawk). You will need good hunting pellets. A good .22 air rifle is going to cost you more. If you're looking to add to your gun collection, I personally like the Diana.

As others have said, taking out one varmit is not gonna do it, cuz another one will fill the void. That said, once you reduce the herd by some number, they stop showing up.

Here's a link to superior air rifles along with a good page of comparisons:
http://www.straightshooters.com/

Treat these as you would any FIREARM, always be sure of where the pellet is going to go if you miss. I highly recommend the Air rifle approach for suburban or city dwellers. In our neck of suburbia, during the summer we had a dangerous poisonous snake that somehow had been forced out of the local woods due to construction. Shooting it in the body did no good and a pistol would have been worthless. Holding the stock, I let it bite the end of the barrel before pulling the trigger. No head, no threat... nonetheless, scared the hell outta me since I had almost stepped on it after my wife had seen it in the garden.

KKKKFL

jimmyraythomason
January 18, 2012, 11:51 AM
The fastest,most humane,way to dispatch a 'possum doesn't involve shooting them at all. Place the 'possum on the ground,place a solid stick over their neck,stand on the stick with the 'possums head between your feet,grasp the tail and pull up sharply. No blood,no coming back later and is instant. Having trapped off and on for over fifty years,I've caught more than my share of these things. I gave up shooting them or clubbing them a long time ago.

Art Eatman
January 18, 2012, 12:25 PM
My grandfather would grab a possum by its tail and swing the criitter's head against a tree trunk. The result was a ruined possum.

MCgunner
January 18, 2012, 12:41 PM
Where can I buy some of those $5 arrows. Mine seem to run around $25 each after putting on the broadhead.

I'd use a field point, ain't wasting a broad head.

I shot one in my pajamas once...never mind the Groucho jokes. I used to have a .22 cal Benjamin when I was a kid, killed many a critter with it, a possum will play "possum" when he does, whack him with whatever you got and finish him off...end of problem.

Now, I'm wondering why that possum was wearing your pajamas?

damford
January 18, 2012, 01:13 PM
5 rounds right through the body. point blank with a 9mm beretta. bashed it a few times with a log for good measure.
went to get a shovel out of the garage. it was gone. never to be seen again.

only way to kill one is to cut off the head or a wooden stake through the heart.

MCgunner
January 18, 2012, 01:26 PM
Would an AR15 work? That's what everyone gets for killin' zombies.

Earlsbud
January 18, 2012, 01:54 PM
.22 Long CB or.....

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=Box+traps&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=13504120059148259926&sa=X&ei=KAcXT7SzJOihiQLYgpy4Dw&ved=0CKEBEPICMAU

351 WINCHESTER
January 18, 2012, 04:35 PM
I shot one with my .22 using longs 40 years ago. I forget how many rounds I put in him and he walked off like nothing ever happened. Now when I shot others later on witih stingers it was a different story.

tightgroup tiger
January 18, 2012, 06:03 PM
Aquila makes a 22 round called the Colibri that you can pick up alot of places like gun shows, Cabellas etc. if you need to be quiet about it.

It is just a primer load, out of a pistol it is reasonbly quiet and at close range does a decent job with one in the head. Once the possum is down or playing dead a shovel works well for seperating its head from the rest of it.

You can clean the shovel by digging the hole to bury it.

22-rimfire
January 18, 2012, 06:13 PM

I was amazed how tough those critters are when I shot one with my Sheridan 22 cal pellet rifle. I started to feel kind of bad.... humane kills and all that stuff.

Call Jed Clampett, he'll take it Grannie for dinner.

Weedy
January 18, 2012, 06:34 PM
steel trap. trap and then either put it in a trash can and spray a can of starting fluid (ether) then finish off or fill trash can with water.

I don't care what kind of damage it does to your property, no animal deserves to be burned alive just for being what it is.
Pretty sadistic in my opinion.
At least kill it quickly before you set it on fire.

littlebluevette
January 18, 2012, 06:37 PM
Skin it.....Waffle House maybe interested in buying the meat.

JRH6856
January 18, 2012, 06:40 PM
Quote:
I don't care what kind of damage it does to your property, no animal deserves to be burned alive just for being what it is.
Pretty sadistic in my opinion.
At least kill it quickly before you set it on fire.I don't see where he said anything about setting it on fire. Ether is an anesthetic. It used to be used for surgery. Enough of it in an enclosed space like a trash can, and the animal just goes to sleep and dies peacefully.

Flintknapper
January 18, 2012, 07:20 PM
MicroTecniqs wrote:

I don't see where he said anything about setting it on fire. Ether is an anesthetic. It used to be used for surgery. Enough of it in an enclosed space like a trash can, and the animal just goes to sleep and dies peacefully.

As noted...he made no inference to setting the Possum on fire.

Possibly a little parapraxis or a Freudian Slip on Weedys part? :D ;)

redbullitt
January 18, 2012, 07:48 PM
I with the aguila ammo idea for the 22 if you can do that. Pellet gun if you get a good hunting one.

Weedy
January 18, 2012, 08:18 PM
MicroTecniqs wrote:

Quote:
I don't see where he said anything about setting it on fire. Ether is an anesthetic. It used to be used for surgery. Enough of it in an enclosed space like a trash can, and the animal just goes to sleep and dies peacefully.

As noted...he made no inference to setting the Possum on fire.

Possibly a little parapraxis or a Freudian Slip on Weedys part?

Ok ok my apologies to offroaddiver if he meant for the starting fluid to be used as an anesthetic. You are right, he didn't say to light it on fire...in that case though I may have to waffle and say that the use of anesthesia on a possum before killing it may be uh...I don't know. I guess when someone talks about spraying a can of starting fluid on a pesky varmint, I would assume the next step would be to light 'er up. I guess I should remember what happens when we assume...:D

col.lemat
January 18, 2012, 08:35 PM
Flamethrower. Kill cook eat

Malachi Leviticus Blue
January 18, 2012, 09:32 PM
+1 for the shovel

They ain't that fast

One whack, then use the said weapon dig a hole. Insert vandalous varmint and refill hole.

I raise Pheasants and have a non stop parade of possums and coons marching on my birds and eggs. I've dispatched hundreds of them just that way.

rcmodel
January 18, 2012, 09:57 PM
I can GayRonTeeYa if you shoot a garbage can full of starter fluid and light it?

Killing the possum will be the very least of your worries!

It would leave a Mushroom Cloud over your neighborhood when it went off!

rc

fatcat4620
January 18, 2012, 10:12 PM
My dog gave me one as a gift. Very chewed up by a large dog- Still alive. Shot it three times with a 800 FPS pelet gun- Still alive. Then a few head wacks with the shovel- Still alive. Cut its head off with the shovel- Still alive. I dont get it!!!

JRH6856
January 18, 2012, 10:26 PM
i can gayronteeya if you shoot a garbage can full of starter fluid and light it?

Killing the possum will be the very least of your worries!
roflmao!

straitnate14
January 18, 2012, 11:34 PM
I shot one with my AK last winter, he didn't go anywhere? I think I shot it 5 times though before it stoped moving

fatcat4620
January 18, 2012, 11:47 PM
Just wanted to point out that this thread is funny as hell!

SDG
January 18, 2012, 11:48 PM
I had one in my yard a few days ago. I also have chickens and didn't want the two getting together. I set out the trap and then a little while later I shined my light over to that area and saw the possum walking around it. I shined my light again a little while later and saw the two eyes in the trap shining back at me. I call the kids to go do a little homeschool lesson and we all go out to the trap and on the way I saw another possum walking around. Then we got to the trap and found a cat instead. As I don't have any cat recipes on hand, I let it go.

I set the trap again and got the possum. A 22lr to the back of the neck/head area did the trick although I apparently missed the small brain and it took a minute or so for him to bleed out. I live in a neighborhood and didn't really want multiple rifle shots even though it was only from a .22. I am outside of the city though.

On another note, are these things good eating? Not much in the way of recipes online. Yes, I am serious.

snakeman
January 19, 2012, 12:01 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about a possum. My remington summit sure doesn't feel inadequate!

click clack
January 19, 2012, 12:20 AM
I got one (in my pajamas aswell)with my Gamo pellet rifle a few years ago. I think it shoots the .177 pellts at 1100 or 1000 fps. Whichever it is, it did the trick. Also thanks to my Jack Russel Terrier for going crazy and pinning it so i could get a good shot ;) But I didn't have problems with it playin dead on me.. 1 and done

Flintknapper
January 19, 2012, 12:27 AM
Just make sure it doesn’t belong to someone first! :D ;)

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n92/flintknapper/Possum.jpg

Ridgerunner665
January 19, 2012, 12:34 AM
This is one of the very few times I'm gonna (sorta) disagree with rcmodel...99.99999% of the time he is right.

But as a kid I trapped and hunted coons, possums, minks, muskrats, foxes, and just about anything else that has fur that you can sell. I paid for my first car (a Jeep) with fur money...

In the 80's a big possum hide would sell for $5...and I musta skinned at least 1,000 of them over the years. I usually killed those critters with a 22 short to the brain (I do know where it is and how to hit it)....but I did use .177 caliber pellets quite often too, especially on the smaller stuff like possums, minks, muskrats, etc.

Put a pellet in the brain and it will be dead...and that was with an old 80's model Crosman air gun...these days they have pellet rifles that are as powerful as a regular 22.

As is always the case I guess...shot placement is king.

Ridgerunner665
January 19, 2012, 12:40 AM
My grandfather would grab a possum by its tail and swing the criitter's head against a tree trunk. The result was a ruined possum.

Yep...my Grandad knew that trick too...it also works on coons but you gotta be quick.

LMAO...thinking about that reminded me of the time I was shaking a coon out of a persimmon tree, the dogs (young hounds in training) had it treed, it was the first coon they had ever treed and I wanted to let them get a hold of it so up the tree I went (I didn't have a gun with me) to shake it out...I shook it out alright...darn thing landed right square on my shoulders. Thats no place to be, 50 feet up in a tree with a mad coon on your back...

I grabbed its tail and threw it down to the dogs...I only got one good scratch out of the deal, on my neck...still have the scar.

Grandad was laughing so hard he had tears in his eyes...strange as I'm sure that sounds to some folks...that is a treasured memory, Thanks THR for reminding me of it.

Vel454
January 19, 2012, 01:47 PM
While on the subject - does anyone know the laws (or where I can find the laws, written in laymen's terms) on protecting your livestock/pets/property from pests like these? Wife and I have thought about moving to more rural area (we live out a ways as it is, but we'd don't have much land) and having some chickens, horses, etc.

Would it be lawful for me to drop a coyote that was going after my chickens? Raccoon's or anything else eating up our garden?

baylorattorney
January 19, 2012, 02:06 PM
My grandma told me a story her last days about a opossum that would get into the chicken coop and steal the eggs. So she placed a poisoned egg therein. The possum ate it and was found dead. She told me as if it were her only regret in life - killing that possum. She was on her last days when she told me..

Don't know why I share this, just brought back the memory. :) thanks.

788Ham
January 19, 2012, 02:17 PM
Some time back, my Pop had some trouble with coons getting into, and tearing up his bird feeder. One night he heard a racket, looked out the bedroom window, and 3 coons sitting on the bird feeder. Pop got up, in his pajamas also, when he left the house, he had his Louisville Slugger with him. All 3 coons went to the showers quickly, one on a homerun, one took 2 strikes, and one took one foulball and left the game, Pop, in his PJ's saved the game! :cuss:

Art Eatman
January 19, 2012, 03:25 PM
Back in the WW II era, my grandmother would buy strychnine as an anti-pest item. It came in a tube like toothpaste. She'd squeeze a little dab on a piece of bread and set it by the hen house in the evening. Possum, coon, fox, whatever. Pick up the bread in the morning when the chickens were let out for the day.

Blue68f100
January 19, 2012, 08:31 PM
The last one I trapped was with an EMPTY Wire Cage Trap. I just set it in the path it was walking and it just walked in. No Bait required.

jimmyraythomason
January 19, 2012, 08:40 PM
I've caught 3 this year (so far) in leghold traps set for other furbearers. I released them all unharmed. A trapped 'possum is very easy to release. Just grip it around the neck and the hips(not the tail), open the trap and give him a toss. They are not very aggressive but can bite though they usually don't try.

hammerklavier
January 19, 2012, 10:06 PM
We haven't had this much fun since http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=488500

Love the Cat Found poster.

rodinal220
January 19, 2012, 10:43 PM
A Co2 pistol in .177 at 500 fps is too light and slow on possums IMHO.I would get a good air rifle.A RWS 48/52/54 in either .177 or .22 would take care of possums.The Benjamin Marauder with its compressed air power plant would also be a good option but more expensive to set up with the air tanks and valves.

Isaac's Grandpa
January 19, 2012, 11:20 PM
I plinked one that was bothering my parents dog out on the farm. One shot with the .54 Renegade and 600 grain Buffalo bullet. Wasn't a whole lot left of it. Only downside was waking up all the neighbors at 3am.

7.62 Nato
January 19, 2012, 11:39 PM
Shot the last one with a CB long. Neighbors never heard a thing. Walking away from me,I hit it in the back just below the ribcage. He rolled right, hissed and was still in the same spot when i picked him up in the morning. Looked like he was very well fed, and I scared him really bad ! I previously tried to take one out with a bayonet. It only made him mad that he was "pinned", hissing, and clawing up dirt. A .22 to the back of the head stopped him immediately.

788Ham
January 20, 2012, 12:47 AM
Get one of those Quackenbush Air Rifles that shoot the 405grain bullets! Saw a guy on Youtube shoot a boar hog with one, went clear thru him, dropped him on the spot! Might be a tad heavier than your Benjamin air rifle will shoot, but sure knocked the snot outta that hog!

stonecoldy
January 20, 2012, 02:19 AM
Disappointing to read some of these responses. Apparently after reading a number of these postings, cruelty is acceptable and laughable. I don't have a problem dispatching a problem animal, but I do it quickly.

JRH6856
January 20, 2012, 03:41 AM
I don't have a problem dispatching a problem animal, but I do it quickly.

We try, stonecoldy, we try. The point is, possums don't make it easy to do.

baylorattorney
January 20, 2012, 06:52 AM
Calls for the Opposum Whisperer!

Mauser lover
January 21, 2012, 12:44 AM
.177 pellet at 500 FPS is probably not enough to kill it. Think about it in terms of energy. A .177 pellet is about 7-8 grains, and 500 FPS was probably an exaggeration, unless you are giving us your chronographed numbers. The penetration is horrible with such low velocities and projectile weights. I suggest that you get an RWS 350. Here is a link to one.

http://wop.pyramydair.com/s/m/Diana_RWS_350_Magnum_Striker_Combo_22_T06/2530

Of course it costs as much as a good quality rimfire, but.....

If you get a high power pellet gun and want to stay quiet, make sure that you get a .22, as most of the high power pellet guns are slightly supersonic with .177s and will not be quiet.

MCgunner
January 21, 2012, 04:33 PM
Must be hard to get up on that horse when it's that high. :rolleyes: Rats...possums....killin' 'em is what matters. How long it takes 'em to die is superfluous to me. I've had to kill several possums IN THE FRIGGIN" KITCHEN! The house I sold had a hole under the cabinets in the kitchen and they'd get up in there and have clutches, eat the cat's food at night. I took 'em out with head shots with my 10/22, though, in the house, occasionally my NAA .22 revolver as it's what I had on me. Hell, didn't even wake up the wife, usually. :D

Averageman
January 21, 2012, 10:15 PM
I carried a basket of kitchen scraps out to my composter at about midnight one Saturday night after a couple of adult beverages.
As I dumped the scraps in to the composter a very angry opossum that in my excited and somewhat inebriated state appeared to be the size of a lion reared its ugly head out of the pile and opened what appeared to me to be his 3 ft wide jaws.
My Girlfriend at the time nearly wet herself with laughter as I let out a Whoooooooop! and ran three steps in the air, throwing the basket and leaving a roostertail of dust in my wake.
damn possum.

tnxdshooter
January 21, 2012, 11:30 PM
I live in The Woodlands (the city north of Houston). I have a possum that gets into my back yard and into my patio area, digging up my flower beds and also eating my Yucca plants. I only have "real guns" and recently bought a Co2 powered pistol to dispatch of the bastard. Will a .177 pellet at 500 fps kill it? I don't mind putting more than one pellet in it as it has an eight shot magazine. Anyone killed one with a pellet gun?

Your sure its a possum? They eat scraps around here not plants. Yours sounds like a diller (armodillo) problem.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

tnxdshooter
January 21, 2012, 11:51 PM
Best way to kill a possum? Shine a flashlight and run it over with a vehicle. That is the only way Ive found.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

AKElroy
January 22, 2012, 12:17 AM
I have a Beeman .177 that runs 800fPs, and I have taken possum with it. This is a hyper accurate rig, shooting aspirin sized groups at 10 meters. The possum I shot was 15' away so I am certain I hit it all 7 times I fired. It was clutching a tree branch, playing dead while dying. It then fell backward in super slow motion until it landed on the ground with a thud. It was still there the next morning, so I assume he was actually dead when I threw him in the neighbors yard.

stonecoldy
January 22, 2012, 12:18 AM
McGunner, I've taken care of plenty of small game, varmints and deer, whether walking a trapline with family members or out hunting. Have always felt you owed it to whatever animal you put down, make it as clean and quick as you can. Now, I can tell you that I had to resort to using a snow shovel to kill rats in a garage before, and it worked pretty well :neener:

jojo200517
January 22, 2012, 12:36 AM
I don't know if a BB gun would do it or not. More than likely it'd just mildly irritate the possum. Too bad your in a city and discharging firearms is more than likely not legal. One of those pre charged hunting air rifles might work, but would probably crack as loud as a small caliber gun. If its legal to shoot it with a real gun tho in my experience 1 15 pellet 3 inch mag 00 buck load will not only do a possum in but moved it clean out from under the storage shed.

1SOW
January 22, 2012, 02:19 AM
A CO2 bb rifle at garage floor length drove the possum out of the garage, so my wife was satisfied.
I hit it a number of times but it didn't seem too concerned. It did however leave a blood trail across my patio and out of the yard.

I now have a 10-pump bb/pellet rifle that does a better job.
"41" pear-eating, house breaking tree rats in the last 10 months. Over half succumed to one shot drops.

Get a bigger or faster gun.

memphisjim
January 22, 2012, 02:21 AM
not reading it all but rcmodel with crossbows you shoot bolts

Sport45
January 22, 2012, 03:28 AM
Apparently you aren't reading it all. Nobody mentioned crossbows. :)

A compound bow delivers arrows just like a recurve (but sometimes faster).

baylorattorney
January 22, 2012, 09:46 AM
A pellet gun will certainly dispatch the rodent vermin, specifically, opossum. Likely one shot one kill is a unrealistic. But two shots three and he's a done messing with you. He'll be back after he licks his nasty wounds tho. At least you didn't actually harvest the meat and cook it up to surprise your wife with opossum stew. Ummm um deee lish.

Waste not want not. :)

BeerSleeper
January 22, 2012, 10:02 AM
.22LR. Quick, easy, not terribly loud from a rifle.

If you're within city limits, or for some other reason, cannot use a firearm, they are pretty easily killed manually, if you have the stomach for that sort of thing. A pipe, 2x4, ball bat, business end of a shovel...etc. You want something that keeps them at least at arms length away from you. Opossums can carry diseases, it's never a good idea to put yourself at risk of a bite.

jimmyraythomason
January 22, 2012, 10:28 AM
they are pretty easily killed manually Only if you break their neck. Oppossums are very tough and don't die easily.

BeerSleeper
January 22, 2012, 12:30 PM
Only if you break their neck. Oppossums are very tough and don't die easily.
A broken neck is one way, but it is not the only way.

They are tough, for their size, but they are not difficult to kill if you are not deceived by their "fake death". I have used all manner of things found on the tractor or back of the truck, when a gun was not available. It is not pleasant, but it accomplishes the task. If the tool you have chosen is not capable of severing the head (shovel is good for this), you need to be sure to crush the skull.

nathan
January 22, 2012, 12:51 PM
I shot one several times with my Glock 23 . It took many rounds before it died. They can take a beating for sure.

308win
January 22, 2012, 02:35 PM
Quit feeding him and he will move on.:D

rcmodel
January 22, 2012, 02:44 PM
Speaking of possums.
There has been one living in my neighbors lawn shed for about four years now.

I see him going to work late at night, and coming back home early in the morning.

My dog goes out and wags his tail at him and the possum looks back through the fence at him.

He leaves us alone, and we leave him alone.

He is just trying to make a living, like all the rest of us.

rc

jimmyraythomason
January 22, 2012, 04:31 PM
He is just trying to make a living, like all the rest of us. Exactly!Quit feeding him and he will move onIt really is just that simple. I release all those I catch on my trapline because there is just no reason to kill them. Their fur isn't worth very much and unless you are an egg farmer they don't do much damage.

Mango88
January 22, 2012, 06:15 PM
I just usually run possums off with a broom. If he is a real pest just put him in a sack or a box and relocate it to the nearest golf course. They'll hiss, growl, and slobber like crazy but I've never had one bite me. I had one that had a den beside my driveway, he learned to run like crazy every time he saw me so that I wouldn't catch him and tease the wife and kids with him.

MCgunner
January 22, 2012, 09:02 PM
Well, stonecoldy, if you need somethin' dead, you don't wanna mess with animal control (worthless minimum wage bureaucrats), and city code says you can't use your .458 win mag, you do what ya gotta do. :D

Really? High horse because he doesn't torture animals and let them suffer? Perhaps if you patch the holes in your trailer you'd have less critter problems... Prob cut your AC cost down too.....if you have AC.

Spoken like an ivy league eastern democrat....:rolleyes: It was a house, called "pier and beam" construction. You probably don't see those a lot in the Hamptons, but it didn't have wheels on it ever, not that there's a thing wrong with that. :rolleyes:

Everyone in Texas has AC. I've heard we invented it. Maybe not, but I also heard we've even air conditioned hell so we'll be comfy when we get there.

Join PETA. You'll fit in well, there.

Quit feeding him and he will move on

Really, stop gardening? That's your answer?

Art Eatman
January 23, 2012, 09:25 AM
Mole hills to mountains? No. Way more than enough effort to turn flatland prairie into the Himalayas.

Sheesh!

If you enjoyed reading about "Killing a possum with a pellet gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!