How many knives do you own?

PDA

Yo Mama
January 17, 2012, 10:03 PM
Just want to make sure I'm not excessive here. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "How many knives do you own?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PastorAaron
January 17, 2012, 10:14 PM
20-30ish? Never really though about it :rolleyes:

JVaughn
January 17, 2012, 10:17 PM
pocket knives, maybe about 25.
fixed blades, less than 10
"tactical" folders, about 10
kitchen and shop knives, well over 50

bikerdoc
January 17, 2012, 10:23 PM
A draw full - about 40 split between fixed and folder. I made about 5 of the fixed.

Kitchen-= 15

rcmodel
January 17, 2012, 10:30 PM
I'd have to start counting tonight in order to get done and answer you sometime tomorrow.

Not bragging, just fact.

This would be mostly WWI, WWII, Korea, & Vietnam military, survival, fighting, and custom hunters I made on the rotisserie.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/Knives1.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/Knives2.jpg

Folders and Hunters are in drawers and not photographed.

rc

Valkman
January 17, 2012, 10:49 PM
Probably 30-40 all told.

mic214
January 17, 2012, 11:48 PM
I think around 35 or so......

mole
January 18, 2012, 12:01 AM
I got rid of most of my knives when I decided to simplify my life a few years ago.

pocket knives: 1 Spyderco, 1 Case, 1 Benchmade
fixed blade knives: 1 Becker BK7, 1 mora
Kitchen knives: 3 J. A. Henckels

That's not counting a mora in each vehicle and BOB or dinnerware and utility knives. I've found that if you have a few of good quality, you'll never be lacking.

mole

hso
January 18, 2012, 12:58 AM
More than two

Brian Williams
January 18, 2012, 01:29 AM
between 1 and 3 hundred

Owen Sparks
January 18, 2012, 02:08 AM
Probably around 25 not counting kitchen knives, and I own some really high quality kitchen knives.

zhyla
January 18, 2012, 02:19 AM
I don't know how to answer that question, I keep finding them stashed in funny places...

Sgt_R
January 18, 2012, 03:08 AM
I don't really know. Lots. I have 3 on my person right now, and a bunch more stashed all over the place. Sadly I lost most of my collection in a move about 10 years ago, but happily I have been doing my best to replace them. ;)

R

ArfinGreebly
January 18, 2012, 04:25 AM
But, along the same vein as hso, I'll say more than ten.

Just for perspective, I don't have an accurate count of my Buck knives. Something happened a couple of years ago, and the count just took on a life of its own.

Spread across other brands, I have three tool boxes that are pretty well stuffed, and then three or four drawers, and then I have a desktop (table, actually) that's littered with them. And then a couple of banker's boxes.

One of these days when I have nothing else going on I might attempt an accurate census.

Trouble is, just like with a regular census, you start at one and, and by the time you get to the other end there's been breeding happening in there somewhere, and the tally is already wrong.

Clark
January 18, 2012, 05:34 AM
There is a gun in one of these pockets, and would take a while to get out.

But I can quickly pull a knife and deploy it for slashing through plastic that is between me and eating.

Then there are knives you just own.

Saakee
January 18, 2012, 06:11 AM
Not enough.

Mp7
January 18, 2012, 08:16 AM
i bet iŽd find at least 20 just thoroughly inspecting my van :-)

... same with basement.

Yo Mama
January 18, 2012, 08:31 AM
Ok, I feel better, compared to most of you! :)

My Mom was at our new house, and went into my closet. She came out saying why do you have a gun and three knives today? I say it was a slow day. :evil:

Sadly I lost most of my collection in a move about 10 years ago, but happily I have been doing my best to replace them.

That sucks! What happened, and did you ever recover any of them?

Stacer
January 18, 2012, 09:47 AM
Couple dozen, only carrying 4 right now. But then I'm at work.

Markus
January 18, 2012, 10:06 AM
Ask my wife how many and then multiply by 20 !

hso
January 18, 2012, 10:11 AM
Save your money and concentrate on qualtiy and not quantity and you'll be happier in the long run.

Also, "excessive" is a question of what you can pay for with extra money instead of robbing the budget to buy a toy.

22-rimfire
January 18, 2012, 12:06 PM
I don't really know. But the accumulation does tend to keep growing a lot faster than reductions due to breakage and loss. They are also kind of scattered around, so counting is not an easy task.

dayhiker
January 18, 2012, 12:22 PM
At one point I was at over 200.

I reached a point that I decided to simplify my "needs". I now own two knives and a multi tool.

Granted I still feel the addiction. So every so often I will buy a knife,use it for however long it takes to get bored again. Usually a week or so, then gift it to my son. It helps scratch that itch.

His collection is easily 300+.

Zeke/PA
January 18, 2012, 03:15 PM
Right now it's around 200 or so but I am trying to concentrate on Case stuff and sometimes U.S.A. made Schrade stuff that has a habit of becoming available from time to time at reduced prices.
Collection ?
Nah! But I still have my first (age 6) Barlow pattern Cattaragus (SP) that my Dad had for years.
Played MANY MANY games of "chew the peg" and Baseball with that Dude.
For Hunting, I carry a Queens Cutlery double bladed folder that I had for awhile.
Years ago(many) I bought a 10 knife display card of this folder,complete with sheath from an FFL supplier for $4.50/knife
Sold all but for 1for me ,1 for Dad.
I have dressed out AT LEAST 75 Deer with this beast.
Gonna carry it tomorrow with hopes of getting it bloody once again.
Just WHAT is the attraction with Knives?
Zeke

ApacheCoTodd
January 18, 2012, 06:35 PM
While I'm by no means a collector - between "must have" pretties and past use knives which I won't sell, I couldn't begin to guess nor do I know where all of them are for that matter. Now that you've asked the question though, I kinda wonder.

USAF_Vet
January 18, 2012, 09:40 PM
I got rid of a bunch last year, but saved my favorites. I'm sitting at about a dozen or so.

ArfinGreebly
January 18, 2012, 10:40 PM
I'll probably divest myself of a few, the ones I have to hold my nose for. I have maybe a dozen of those.

The rest?

Given that I'd never begin to get my money out of them . . . and given that they don't take up much space . . . and given that these are "interesting" and uncertain times . . .

. . . I'm probably gonna hang onto the rest.

They have intrinsic value, and you never know when you might need wampum.

Isaac's Grandpa
January 18, 2012, 11:02 PM
Somewhere between 10 and 100. Pawn shop finds to my great-grandfathers Mora. Most of the Leatherman tools.

Yo Mama
January 18, 2012, 11:32 PM
Save your money and concentrate on qualtiy and not quantity and you'll be happier in the long run.

Also, "excessive" is a question of what you can pay for with extra money instead of robbing the budget to buy a toy.

I'm lucky, found the forum as I was getting into knives. I ended up not buying to many junk blades. I had never had a quality knife, didn't know the difference. Man it's like vhs vs. hd blue ray.

to my great-grandfathers Mora

Isaac's Grandpa, if you could put a pic of these I would love to see them.

conw
January 19, 2012, 12:11 AM
I thought I had downsized...but I still have about 28 :(

Primaries that are carried or in safe:
Strider SMF (gift I decided not to part with even though I never carry it, too big)
Clinch pick (2 - one carried, one in safe)
Clinch pick trainer (doesn't really count as a knife)
Spyderco P'kal (4 + 1 trainer)
Spyderco Delica, waved + trainer
Ban Tang titanium la griffe + trainer (girlfriend's knife, she carries but I own it ;))
Spyderco Native 5 (carried all the time)
Spyderco Ladybug (Yellow FRN + H1 steel, carried all the time)

Misc:
About 12-14 moras I bought for similar reasons Arfin listed, a few stuck random places like gardening shelf or glove-box in car
12.5" ang khola kukri, favorite hard use knife
Two becker BK-2s (one in Bugout Bag and one in camping gear)

GF's knives:
Ladybug just like mine
Spyderco ZDP-189 delica she never uses or carries
Kershaw Leek she rarely carries

JTW Jr.
January 19, 2012, 01:21 AM
Plenty according to the wife.
But I can recall where I got each one , and one the customs when & where I got each.

I had plenty more about 5 years ago , probably triple what I have now. I sold off the majority of the over $500 customs.

Haven't had the "I want" to buy for awhile now , enjoying and using what I have.

Bigtime Sexy
January 19, 2012, 01:32 AM
70 - 90ish(?), including several customs, two prototypes of one of my designs. Pics at: http://urbanfury.com

I generally carry along the lines of an XL Cold Steel Voyager, a Spyderco Endura, and a Victorinox Tinker for more social use. Multi-tools and machetes in each vehicle.

My dad is a custom Knife maker and I have a few of his knives also. http://cowlesknives.com

shiftyer1
January 19, 2012, 02:11 AM
I generally carry a small traditonal folder, like a stockman and a larger folder and a multitool, for years it has been a small sog but tonite got upgraded to a powerlock. I don't even know how to give an accurate count, if i go in my knife bag i'll realize things are missing and then go on a search and will find random knives everywhere. If I find a knife that tickles my fancy i'll buy it and test it out.

They also makes great gifts to my son.

JTW Jr.
January 19, 2012, 02:33 AM
Rock.....

My dad is an AWESOME custom Knife maker and I have a few of his knives also
I corrected that for you :)

2ndAmFan
January 19, 2012, 03:14 AM
I don't know. Quite a few.

dispatch 510
January 19, 2012, 05:13 AM
Last count 204, mostly traditional style.

JShirley
January 19, 2012, 08:16 AM
I like knives, and have more than some folks, though considerably fewer than others here. I find I give away many more than I keep.
I give away some knives that I really like, but I especially have a hard time holding onto a knife I know I'll never use. (The most recent example of that was a SureFire EW-09 (http://www.surefire.com/EW-09) that was included in a box of knives gifted to my team. It's a really neat knife, and was tempted to keep it for myself...but I knew I'd never use it. So I gave it to a PO who I knew would appreciate it.) Other knives I just end up giving because the person I'm talking to seems like they could use them.

John

wheelgunslinger
January 19, 2012, 10:12 AM
I have a few, but give away stuff frequently too.
I'm just not into having stuff lay around and do nothing but clutter up my life.
If I don't use it, I give it away.
I think I have a half dozen right now and it feels like too many.

HoosierQ
January 19, 2012, 10:58 AM
I have none since the...you're getting it...boat accident:neener:

Hey we're here all week...try the veal.

Clark
January 19, 2012, 02:59 PM
My son moved out a year ago.
He ate like a pig.
I shot 4 deer per year and he ate half of it.
Now I only get to shoot 2 deer per year.
And he took my SOG knives, to play with them while playing video games.

It is like a morgue here without him.
I wish he would move back.
And bring my knives back.

451 Detonics
January 19, 2012, 03:05 PM
I think at last count it was approaching about 250, mostly slipsjoints...

Bigtime Sexy
January 19, 2012, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the correction, JTW Jr.. I agree, but I never wanted anyone to say I blew my father's horn!

Jalexander
January 19, 2012, 04:35 PM
Used to have a couple hundred, prior to the fire. Now 14, mostly custom slipjoints.

James

deputy tom
January 19, 2012, 06:14 PM
Right now,probably under 100. A few years ago I'm guessing closer to 300. YMMV.tom.:cool:

Canuc Shooter
January 19, 2012, 06:45 PM
Just getting into knives in the past month. Seems to be as addictive as firearms.

WAhunter
January 19, 2012, 06:58 PM
folders 20
fixed blade knives 3
Kitchen knives 10

Deltaboy
January 19, 2012, 10:00 PM
About 40 but I have counted lately!

Isaac's Grandpa
January 19, 2012, 10:09 PM
Here are pictures of my great-granddads Moras and a couple pawn shop finds. The sheaths have a slit to fit over the suspender button on the front of the pants.

The pawn shop scores were a Kershaw .22 knife and a mother of pearl Case. I wish the Kershaw had the box and paperwork.

JShirley
January 20, 2012, 11:24 AM
That Kershaw is really neat! Can you show the other side?

John

Bigtime Sexy
January 20, 2012, 02:55 PM
Just a few links for knife afficiandos;

http://knifedogs.com KnifeDogs is a G rated knife forum of makers, collectors, users, suppliers, designers, engravers, including many famous makers. A piece of Utopia with a true community spirit of helping each other and new makers.

http://jerzeedevil.com JerzeeDevil is a knife forum with lots of bright funny people, but it can turn into a nightmare if you say something extremely ignorant or step too far off the beaten path. If you like knives and a biker bar atmosphere, you'll like JerzeeDevil. (Note: Introduce yourself with your FIRST post after reading the rules or you will be shredded!).

http://www.customknivesandguns.com Custom Guns and Knives Forum. The name says it all. Quite civil.

http://www.usualsuspect.net/ Big knife Forum

http://www.bladeforums.com/ One of the, if not the, biggest knife forums.

Wolfebyte
January 20, 2012, 03:06 PM
I'm better off than most of you !! I'm just always 1 away from completing my collection...

around 200 different knives.. Of course, I also inherited my father's collection after he passed, so I didn't do it alone..

sgtstryker
January 20, 2012, 05:07 PM
This got me to try a round them up. I think 27 at present. It fluctuates with selling and trading, another Randall again in just three years, lol. If my Dad in Law would give me his big pickle jar full, I'd be alot better off..

2WheelsGood
January 20, 2012, 05:15 PM
18 here. Though I'm fairly sure I have more. Just need to figure out where they are.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff505/waltherpps/6565370827_1d6d1046ca_b.jpg

Isaac's Grandpa
January 20, 2012, 09:49 PM
Close-ups of the markings on the Kershaw. The photo of the whole knife wouldn't upload.

iLikeOldgunsIlikeNewGuns
January 21, 2012, 08:06 PM
I have no idea!

Lots.
I hope to have a close estimate soon as I've been meaning to take photos for flickr and the THR knife photos thread.

Every time I think I got them all together, a couple days later I'll find another one that I forgot about in some random nook or cranny. No kids in my apartment, and I've been here a while but still haven't ever finished unpacking from last move as I hope to move again soon.

JShirley
January 22, 2012, 07:46 AM
Thank you, Grandpa! :)

John

mdauben
January 23, 2012, 01:06 PM
Ummm... several dozen at least. I have not bothred to count recently.

Sniper X
January 23, 2012, 05:29 PM
I gave away or sold a lot of my knives. I do still have at least twenty fixed blades, and around 10 slipjoints, and around ten or more tactical folders. Of course this will build back up to the proportions it was before in all honesty! Oh, and at least six or so multitools so there are knife blades on all of them as well.

sedona
January 24, 2012, 10:47 PM
I have 40 case stags which are my favorite.20 case bones,10 benchmades and 4 randalls.I have been collecting for 40 years and had alot more at one time but downsized a few years ago.

Dr_B
January 24, 2012, 11:50 PM
I probably have 30 or so. But the one I have carried in my pocket for the past 17 years is a cheap Gerber with a plastic handle.

ThorinNNY
February 7, 2012, 09:57 PM
I honestly dunno, and frankly,the question is giving me a headache. :banghead: Somewhat more than 1, quite a few less than I'd have in an ideal world. That's what I tell the missus when she asks how many guns, books, or whatever I have. ;) :evil:

On a completely unrelated topic, a wise man equips his dog's house to the degree of comfort that should he need to spend a night there, he is not inconvenienced! :uhoh:

theotherwaldo
February 12, 2012, 01:21 PM
Somewhere between two digits and four digits. Ages range between 6,000 years and last week. Materials include (but are not limited to) flint, chert, obsidian, copper, bronze, iron, silver, damascus and other steels, and ceramic.

Pilot
February 12, 2012, 01:27 PM
I dunno. Never counted or thought about it. 25 or so??? :confused:

The_Dude
February 12, 2012, 02:11 PM
My count is 6.

FM12
February 20, 2012, 11:11 PM
Probably 20 or so. Usually carry two large folders clipped one in each front pocket, a small folder in right front and a multitool or two in r hip. Pus several fixed blades scattered around and in my ram pick up.

Doug S
February 21, 2012, 02:14 PM
Too many, and I still find myself being tempted when I look at others. That said, I honestly find no use in having a bunch a knives sitting in drawers and shelves. Pick a couple or three good users, and use them, seems to be much more enjoyable.

ccsniper
February 21, 2012, 02:22 PM
3, my kershaw folder in my pocket right now, my swiss Frost Mora I carry hunting and a Cutco knife my sister got me for Christmas one year. I am not a fan of knives for defense, I think a jury would be more apt to believe I used a gun in defense than if I stabbed or seriously slashed someone.

alaskanativeson
February 21, 2012, 02:54 PM
Over a hundred. Well over. Probably less than 500. If we're counting ones I've given away, throw that 500 figure out. Then it's more likely going to be in four digit territory.

Pistola
February 21, 2012, 03:26 PM
Only about 30.

Quickdraw Limpsalot
February 21, 2012, 03:40 PM
Too many, but not nearly enough.

ArfinGreebly
February 22, 2012, 01:52 AM
I recently did a short two-hour class for a prepper group on the care and feeding of knives, selection of knives, different kinds of knives, etc.

Ran out of time.

I rustled together some props for the class by digging around in some five different boxes and a few drawers. Several drawers, actually.

Gawd. I need to get those things organized. My filing system is indexed by the "where did I put that one?" system.

You know, when you try to deliver a short summary on the meager knowledge you've managed to harvest over a five year period (or eight), you discover that there are all kinds of things worth knowing, and there's just no way to shoehorn that stuff into a single session.

I've gotta rethink my approach.

So, on review, I think the count is "too many," but that runs counter to my foundation thesis of "there's no such thing as too many."

How about, "more than I could adequately describe and explain in a two hour period."

Is that an answer?

Retcop
February 22, 2012, 05:14 AM
MY total is 17 most are Bucks.

BigN
February 22, 2012, 05:18 AM
Way more than I need. Everytime I get one, it's lost and I have to get another. They're hidden around here somewhere.

theQman23
March 6, 2012, 03:01 AM
Only four. A fold out CRKT for everyday carry. A "minimalist" crkt if I want to conceal a small fixed blade. A Ka-Bar with leather sheath, mostly used for trimming out deer, and a utility knife in the tool box.
For everything else, there's the 1911.

Nematocyst
March 6, 2012, 10:42 PM
Other than kitchen knives, three.

* Spyderco Manix 2 (EDC)
* SOG Seal Pup Elite (main wilderness camping tool)
* Kabar with 7" blade (for the upper end)

Seeking a sword with an 18" total length to complete the kit,
knowing that when teotwawki hits, I can't/don't want to carry more than that.

Owen Sparks
March 7, 2012, 01:18 AM
The other night I was at home alone and in the kitchen fixing the cats dinner. Something on the back porch made a loud noise and without really thinking I snatched a large kitchen knife out of the knife block on the counter. It turned out to be the cat knocking something over. The 11 inch carving knife that I grabbed might not have been the best weapon, but it was probably not that far behind a Randall fighter if it were a home invasion and I had to stab some bad guy in self-defense.

LawScholar
March 7, 2012, 01:48 AM
Kabar 8"
Benchmade Mini-Griptilian, stainless, half-serrated (everyday carry for a year and a quarter, still sharp as blazes)
CRKT Tiny Tighe Breaker
Buck Squire
Buck Minibuck
Leatherman Blast multi tool
Victorinox Officer II
Smith & Wesson Special Tactical (I love Smith, but crap knife)

ArfinGreebly
March 7, 2012, 02:39 AM
Seeking a sword with an 18" total length to complete the kit,
knowing that when teotwawki hits, I can't/don't want to carry more than that.

That's an interesting topic on its own so I've created a separate thread to discuss the merits of Nem's "short sword" idea.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion of "how many knives to you own?"

Carry on.

chrisb507
March 7, 2012, 11:53 PM
To the OP, I guess I'd answer: More than I need, but not as many as I'd like.

And I'm sure my meager collection is nothing compared to some....

CWL
March 8, 2012, 12:47 AM
No idea. Hundreds accumulated over the years, but I'm too scared to sit down and actually count.

I've at least slowed down these past few years, only picking up custom or rare/discontinued knives like the Spydie Gunting I recently found. My biggest mistake this year was in picking up a ProTech, now I've got 3!

4kbeard
March 10, 2012, 04:22 AM
I carry between 4 & 7 on me day to day. At one time I carried 9 on me at all times, but I lost 2 and never got around to replacing them.
Its hard to get an accurate count of how big my total collection is, as about half it is at my buddy's house. But best guess is around two dozen folders, a dozen fixed blade, and another dozen or so swords.

Brian Williams
March 10, 2012, 05:05 AM
Here is what I have nearby
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=160705&stc=1&d=1331370275

Dr.Rob
March 10, 2012, 06:56 AM
I only have a handful of really good knives. Among my collection are 4 bayonets, a speznatz shovel and a machete.

My favorites are a Cold Steel tanto, a Buck skinner, Schrade Old Timer, Bagwell (Ontario) plainsman Bowie.
My edc is a Wegner SAK. Not fancy but functional.

tazbigdog
March 10, 2012, 09:28 AM
Have alot, but not enough!

Nematocyst
March 12, 2012, 09:34 PM
That's an interesting topic on its own so I've created a separate thread to discuss the merits of Nem's "short sword" idea.Come on over. But duck as you enter. Ducking will make sure you survive the slashing of short sword practice. :eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

Moose1995
March 13, 2012, 02:58 AM
I have more guns then I do knives. And I only have one knife that matters. My first generation SOG tigershark sk-5, in mint condition.

content
July 29, 2012, 10:50 AM
Hello friends and neighbors // More than I need and not nearly all I would like to find at reasonable prices.

Mainly because "beauties" like this keep popping up and I can't resist.

Oh, U.S. 6809,,,S.A. 1911 Bolo Machete------ Should I clean it? It looks like the last use was chopping a white painted board.:D

**too good a thread to disappear, some rare photos here.

kBob
July 29, 2012, 03:31 PM
Ida Noe.

But most of them are junk most folks would not have. Often wish I could trade some of the garbage I have for the ones I "lost" over the years. Amazing how many were lost around other humans. Carried two to church today, one a Gerber assisted opening type and the other what I call a blue haired old lady knife. That would be something less threatening to open boxes and such or to cut a loose thread or some such. You do not frighten the BHOLs when you pul it out. Today that happened to be one of the little flat all steel Buck lock blades the NRA was giving away a few decades back as I could not find my little gentleman's knife I call my Sunday Go To Meeting knife.

-kBob

jbkebert
July 29, 2012, 07:24 PM
Don't worry honey I have 5 or 6 tops. No I don't lie to my wife about knives or firearms. Just bows and other archery gear:neener:

In all honesty I have paired down and given alot away, sold some and then the kids seem to keep getting new ones. Around 30 knives I claim as my own anymore.

Zeke/PA
July 30, 2012, 01:03 PM
As in my previous posts can attest, I own SEVERAL knives and I really don't need another.
BUT: every once in awhile I'll run across a U.S.A. made Schrade/Old Timer that just BEGS to go home with me.
I only buy new ,in-the-box though and I've hit the local shops hard since Schrade's demise.

sixgunner455
July 30, 2012, 11:06 PM
Huh. How did I miss this?

Or did I?

Anyway. I don't know. Not even a scooby of an idea. Some. Quite a few, really. Got five on me right now, sitting here watching the Olympics.

Nematocyst
July 30, 2012, 11:29 PM
Huh. How did I miss this?

Or did I?Nope.

Better late than never. ;)

hhersh
July 31, 2012, 01:54 PM
Well, I have ( without counting them ) about 150-160 really nice knives. Most of them bought new in my 50 to 60 years of collecting them. That probably sounds excessive, but remember that is only about 3 or 4 knives per year. I will never sell them. I love to take them down and oil and maintain them. My wife calls that "petting them".:what:

Biggerhammer
August 1, 2012, 03:38 AM
Enough to know I have a issue when it comes to customs. A few Gene Ingrams, Charles May, David Winston, Howe Mt and OLT Custom's.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k269/landonmoses/photo-165.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "How many knives do you own?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!