Makarov Keyholing?

PDA

geckcgt
January 17, 2012, 11:31 PM
So I bought an IJ-70 (my first Makarov) the other day for 150$, and wanted to test it out. Cursory field stripping indicated a very strong rifling, with clear cut grooves. However, when I fired S&B 95gr ammo that came with the pistol, the bullets were keyholing all over the place. Switching to Hornady JHP rounds, it fired correctly. Does all S&B ammo usually keyhole? Any opinions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Makarov Keyholing?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TNBilly
January 18, 2012, 12:32 AM
I've had mixed results myself. Just on the odd chance is the S&B 380 rounds?

geckcgt
January 18, 2012, 12:16 PM
No, I actually saved some of the brass to "refer back to" when buying more ammo. Its 9x18mm

NCsmitty
January 18, 2012, 12:58 PM
Is it possible that the S&B bullets are a bit undersize? As you probably know, the 9x18 is .363-.364 bore size, and an undersized bullet can give you a keyhole on target.

Maybe slug the barrel to see what it actually measures.

NCsmitty

TNBilly
January 18, 2012, 05:03 PM
Well... reason I mentioned it in the first place, when I first got my 9mm x 18 the shop I bought it from told me 380 ammo worked fine in it. I was just ignorant enough to buy it. Those thing would do every thing ya can think of including keyhole to barely making it out of the barrel. The S&B's I bought acted the same way but I never thought to measure things up. With my reloads and I think Wolf, one of the import brands anyhow, never give any problems

tyeo098
January 18, 2012, 11:29 PM
Never put a round in a gun it isnt chambered for...

Or you might have to learn to be left handed.

If you enjoyed reading about "Makarov Keyholing?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!