Large Bore Rifle Maker in Oregon?

PDA

cjhusn777
January 18, 2012, 03:30 AM
Hello all,

I am looking for someone to make a big bore double rifle for me and was wondering if there was anyone in the oregon area that would do this? It might sound nuts to most people, but I am looking to have a 4 bore made. I know where to find barrels, just need the rifle to be made, which is obviously the most time consuming part. I know they are expensive to have made, but I would like to find someone who would give me a fair price and just charge me for the actual work put into it.

Charlie

If you enjoyed reading about "Large Bore Rifle Maker in Oregon?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Saakee
January 18, 2012, 03:39 AM
Wish i knew who to point you to: tagging so i can keep up on this. Who're you going to for a barrel, Pac-Nor?

cjhusn777
January 18, 2012, 03:56 AM
Would go to Krieger for the barrels.

Charlie

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
January 18, 2012, 04:51 AM
Very few double rifles made in the US. DR's are a VERY hard rifle setup to master. Matching the barrels impacts is much harder than one would imagine. Takes a lot of time and effort to master them. This is one of the key reasons the European ones are so expensive.

The only ones I can think of in the US is B. Searcy & Co. in California ... Just did a Google and they were the first ones to pop up too! There are a couple of others that popped up that I have never heard of and frankly, looked a bit on the cheap side. A well made double will set you back at minimum $10,000. Anything less than that I would kind of wonder about. A member here, H&H, may chime in on this subject. He has a few if I recall correctly.

cjhusn777
January 18, 2012, 07:56 AM
I know about Butch Searcy, and I know how much doubles "usually" are. Making a double is complicated and time consuming, I know, but I am looking for someone to build a 4 bore double. I believe Searcy only makes doubles up to 600 NE anyway. He does amazing work and I would love one of his rifles, but I'm looking for specifically a 4 bore. Thanks for trying to help.

Charlie

cjhusn777
January 18, 2012, 09:05 AM
A better question would be:

Does anyone know of anyone in Oregon or the US for that matter, that would build a 4 bore double rifle for around 10-15k? Doesn't need to be fancy, just nicely made.

Charlie

Ditchtiger
January 18, 2012, 09:43 AM
This is worth a try,

http://www.thegunworks.com/

Get a hold of Suzi.

cjhusn777
January 18, 2012, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the info! They dont do double 4 bores, but they do do single shot 4 bore muzzleloaders, which I might be interested in as well. I am currently waiting for a call back from a man who used to make double 4 bore rifles, very nice 4 bore doubles to be exact.

Charlie

If you enjoyed reading about "Large Bore Rifle Maker in Oregon?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!