surplus ammo & arms uppers and lowers

PDA

marine 97-03
January 18, 2012, 01:30 PM
Found some nice deals on SAA anybody buy uppers or lowers from them ...what was your experience like dealing with them?

If you enjoyed reading about "surplus ammo & arms uppers and lowers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ac6916170
January 18, 2012, 02:06 PM
I baught an upper, good price and fast shipping. Made several other small parts orders, same thing. Good people to deal with.

J_McLeod
January 18, 2012, 07:44 PM
I bought a lower in person in Dec 10, and the upper by mail in Nov 11. I got a good price on both. My upper came with a set of MOLLE pouches that I did not order but they were giving away at the time.

I posted a review of it when I first got the upper back in Dec. The fit and finish of both are good, and the rifle functions well. The charging handle is a little stiff, and the magazine well is a little tight. All of my mags fit, but some are tight and have to be forced in.

I haven't really done much accuracy testing, but I shot at least 300, probably more like 400+ rounds through mine before it started to malfuntion. Even then it was only that it sometimes the firing pin would no strike the primer because of the carbon buildup, not stoppages. I just cycled manually and continued to fire.

mshootnit
January 18, 2012, 07:47 PM
I have not dealt with the company directly but I have one of their lowers and it is better than middle of the road.

wnycollector
January 18, 2012, 08:24 PM
I have one of their lowers and it is better than middle of the road.

+1 on that.

crazysccrmd
January 18, 2012, 08:40 PM
I have a lower and BCG/CH that are all fine. Mag well is a little tight on some mags as noted above.

ugaarguy
January 18, 2012, 08:55 PM
I bought a few of their stripped lowers thru Karri's Guns for $58 each (http://www.karrisguns.com/new-ar15-stripped-lower-receiver), service was great, and they shipped quickly to my FFL. I used Palmetto lower build kits to complete them, and everything fit fine. The finish machining & hard anodizing are right up there with higher priced lowers I've used. I think the stripped lowers are a great value at current prices.

From looking at Surplus Ammo & Arms' website, their complete uppers are a mix of parts from other makers that they assemble. For similar money I'd look at PSA and BCM uppers directly from their websites, or Colt and LMT uppers from sites like G&R Tactical.

browneu
January 18, 2012, 09:12 PM
I've only used their stripped lowers and they seem fine. The holes are where they should be and the right size.

marine 97-03
January 20, 2012, 03:11 AM
Some have Daniel Defense. Barrels and RRA bcg,s....

cyclopsshooter
January 20, 2012, 03:19 AM
I have one of their lowers and it is better than middle of the road.

+2 especially considering the price. I just built one up with a Del-ton M4 kit- soon to order a slide fire stock :)

ugaarguy
January 20, 2012, 03:24 AM
The DD barrels they're listing are the old conventionally rifled bbls. They're still great bbls, but DD has been cold hammer forging all their barrels for a while now. Rock River's untested bolt carrier groups cost the same as the HPT/MPI groups from Spikes. $15 more gets you an HPT/MPI bolt from CMT or LMT. It's a competitive market, and better values are out there.

Well Now
January 20, 2012, 08:56 AM
I've purchased two uppers from them. Prices were good and shipping was fast. Both uppers I gave as gifts and on one, the gas block became loose causing short stroking. Once retightened, everything is running fine.

laxtond
January 27, 2012, 10:17 AM
I just ordered one of the chrome lined flat top complete uppers along with a lower parts kit and 6 position stock last night. I have been searching high and low for information about these uppers. The only real information I have found about these is that 2-3 people have had trouble with the gas block coming loose, people have said they put some loctite on the screw and that it's been good since. I plan to just go ahead and put some loctite on it when I get mine to prevent this from happening.

If anyone has anything else to say about these complete uppers, I'd love to hear it... good or bad.

OARNGESI
January 27, 2012, 11:05 AM
Maybe someone knows but why are there uppers on gb cheaper than the ones on there websites.

If you enjoyed reading about "surplus ammo & arms uppers and lowers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!