CZ 512 Dissapointment

PDA

ricebasher302
January 18, 2012, 11:08 PM
I just handled a CZ 512 semi-auto .22 mag. at the LGS. Neat gun. Looks cool, lightweight, handles nicely.

However, I was disappointed with a couple things. First, the bolt does not lock back on empty. Not critical, but something I really like.

Second, the safety must be OFF before the bolt can be retracted for loading!:what: That's just not safe. I don't understand why CZ did that.

Finally, the trigger was ATTROCIOUS!!! I mean, like, totally heinous! Terribly gritty, extremely long takeup and VERY heavy. Why would a company who manufactures a trigger as awesome as those found on their other rifles release a product with a trigger that reminds me of scraping old grout out of bathroom tiling with a chisel?:cuss:

I was very interested in this rifle initially, but no longer am I.

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ 512 Dissapointment" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bobson
January 18, 2012, 11:37 PM
Deleted.

d2wing
January 18, 2012, 11:43 PM
I could live with that if they are as accurate as a 452. Anyone shoot one yet?

ifit
January 18, 2012, 11:52 PM
good review, and also speaks of its weak points
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kViao4-UTkY

armoredman
January 19, 2012, 01:13 AM
I have one in the safe. Had it out more than once. Haven't shot at any long range yet, always seem to get stuck on the 25 when I take the 22s.

It does not like cheap Federal ammo, had many misfires, but it shot well enough, even better after I remembered it had adjustable sights. This is from the first range session. I'll have to get it out again, been spending all my time with the 9mm or 7.62x39mm firearms. It really liked Aguila ammo.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/512/target1.jpg

Fun to shoot.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/512/secondtrip5.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/512/secondtrip4.jpg

My son loves it, but it's actually my wife's rifle.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/Rickys%20range%20day/Rickywith5122.jpg

I never looked at what you mentioned, so I checked - yep, it's true, the bolt will not retract far enough to load a cartridge with the safety on. Then again, a lot of firearms won't do that. Guess I am always loading with safety off in everything.

The trigger needs a LOT of break in, that is a very obvious thing, and it is stiff. I hope that it becomes as silky as the CZ 75 trigger over time, but when it comes to CZ rifle triggers, nothing beats my CZ 527M single set trigger, anyway. :) I keep lubing this one and working it as much as I dare - don't dry fire a rimfire!

Let me see if I can dig up some ammo and run this out to the range again tomorrow.

ricebasher302
January 19, 2012, 09:14 PM
I would imagine that the trigger may improve with use, but being that it is the .22 Magnum version that I'm interested in, blowing off a thousand rounds or so is NOT a simple $40 investment.

I presume that some of these have better triggers than the example I handled, because I'm no gun snob, but this thing was the single worst trigger I've ever pulled.

Hi-Points - Extremely heavy.
New 10/22 - Very heavy with long, stacking takeup.
CZ 512 - Very heavy, extremely long takeup, unimaginably gritty.

I think if they were all this bad, their would be more chatter about the matter.

sseelam
July 20, 2012, 06:02 PM
A very good Summary and review comments. couldn't agree more on the poor performance of the trigger. Almost makes me believe CZ din't put much thought into this rifle. I have several rifles and must say this has the single worst trigger feel. I will wait for few more months to see if CZ can fix this , if not I might dump my 512

westcliffe01
July 31, 2012, 08:43 PM
Here in Michigan we have a night hunting season for coyotes (which is the best time to hunt the eastern coyote) but hunters are neutered by various means, one of which is the restriction to rimfire calibers only.

That limitation served as my motivation to get my CZ 512 in 22wmr. I also waited several months until they finally hit the store shelves and it was many months later that regular retailers (Buds) started offering them at a sensible price (~$400). I placed my order and it was right at the time of some crisis and it took over 3 weeks to get my rifle from buds.

Once I had the rifle, it was some more detective work to track down good quality 11mm rings for the 30mm scope tube I had bought for it (a 1.5-4.5 scope with illuminated reticle). I also discovered the crappy metal injection molded trigger and sear (with what I believe is no post machining) and since this fast is appearing to become the norm nowdays (same as my DPMS original trigger and the CMMG 2 stage trigger which I bought for it later), I set about fixing that problem.

I bought a big set of honing stones at enco for about $45 and also a 9x12x2 granite surface plate. Most of the stones are 1/2" wide and rectangular in cross section with a variety of grits from 200 to super fine. I also got a few smaller 1/4" wide square stones for more confined areas, a few circular section stones and a single fine diamond section stone for getting into corners. The surface plate can be used to hold the sides of triggers and sears perpendicular to the stone, when using the side surface and running the stone on the flat upper surface. I do not have a "proper" trigger/hammer stoning fixture, but will probably make one when I get my mill running.

It only took about an hour and a half to disassemble, stone all the critical surfaces and then re-assemble the rifle. The trigger unit is a module, which has to be removed from the rifle and when you get it out it likes to fall apart since the pins etc are no longer "captured" by having the module in the receiver. Its is not a difficult job, but one does need to understand the meaning of "positive engagement" between trigger and sear and how to accomplish that and test for proper function. If you don't know what you are doing, don't touch it - get someone to do the job who knows what they are doing and then test safety yourself to be sure to be sure it is safe.

With this little job, my 512 now has a trigger comparable to any of my Savages or my one TC rifle. I don't care much for triggers under 2lb in a rifle which will be used in the field, so all I did was get rid of the gritty engagement and creep. I didn't need to change the spring loading or sear engagement at all. If the manufacturer would simply make an automated lapping jig, none of this would be needed, but if you look at alternatives to this rifle, one is looking at a LOT of money.

If I was not after coyotes (which are tough and many times will need more than 1 22wmr bullet to knock over) then there are of course many bolt action guns to chose from which surely do not have these issues.

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ 512 Dissapointment" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!