Party backs out on trade, what would YOU do?

PDA

leadcounsel
January 19, 2012, 04:48 PM
If a party agreed to a trade with you, then arbitrarily backed out, how would YOU handle it?

Discuss it with them?

Leave them negative feedback?

Move on and sell it to the next person?

Details: Several emails exchanged confirming trade. I posted it as sold pending... and told others it was sold. They have since moved on. Then the other party was a no-call and no response for two days. Then stated he changed his mind.

If you enjoyed reading about "Party backs out on trade, what would YOU do?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fallout mike
January 19, 2012, 04:50 PM
#2 &#3. Warn the next person before moving on.

M-Cameron
January 19, 2012, 04:54 PM
sell it to the next person and be done with it......

there are a number of reasons why someone would back out of a deal....you can discuss it with them, but thats still not going to change the fact that they arent going to buy the gun.

EmGeeGeorge
January 19, 2012, 04:59 PM
I'd get over it as long as it didn't put me out too much, i.e. travelled a distance or didn't accept another trade in time due to commiting with the backer-outer...

Years back on here I agreed to do a trade with a guy, but he was two hours plus away... couldn't get a time to work out, he wanted to split the differance, even though in the ad originally I had put FTF in my area...

Two weeks after the agreement was made, but hadn't worked out, a friend wanted to trade me my old 1911 for the revolver... My friend was in town, came to my house, etc...

If the guy had come to my area, trade would've happened. But instead he sent me some grumpy PM's, whined about it.

Maybe I was wrong but I overall if he had driven another 45 miles he wouldve come out ahead in the trade moneywise, and I would've been happy. But "El Grumpo" didn't want to drive, made a bit of a stink and left it at that...

leadcounsel
January 19, 2012, 05:22 PM
Well, unfortunately I did miss out on at least one, possibly two other good trade deals during his commitment period... :banghead:

Bubba613
January 19, 2012, 05:26 PM
Life sucks and so do people.
Welcome to the gun business.

Personally I think if someone has committed himself then his word is his bond, and short of death or hospitalization he needs to follow through. The "my water heater broke so I can't buy it" is nonsense. If your ability to buy depends on your water heater/car/hound dog then you have no business committing to anything.

But that doesnt help you. Suck it up and move on.

leadcounsel
January 19, 2012, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the "suck it up" advice...

I realize that... but I'm entitled to vent, no??

mdauben
January 19, 2012, 05:48 PM

This. If you are in a venue (auction site, forum) that supports feedback, leave negative feedback. The other party has to accept that actions have repercussions. Then just move on. No use trying to force a person to keep their word.

rellascout
January 19, 2012, 06:03 PM

+3...

Bubba613
January 19, 2012, 06:17 PM
Oh it's frustrating as all get out. You have my sympathies, as it's happened to me plenty.

lightman
January 19, 2012, 08:59 PM
I would not like it very much,but I would just move on.If I was really bothered by this,I might leave some neg feedback.Prolly not,just not my way. Lightman

orionengnr
January 19, 2012, 10:00 PM
In his book, Colin Powell had a number of rules for life.
Among them was (and I'm paraphrasing, because it's been well over ten years since I read the book).
Get mad, then get over it.

I've had that happen to me, and it's annoying. But it is not among those things that is within my control.

OARNGESI
January 19, 2012, 10:09 PM
Happens all the time just move on and remember first person with the cash gets your item

Hocka Louis
January 19, 2012, 11:05 PM
SIMPLE FACTS feedback, not negative.
Then move on.

Coltdriver
January 19, 2012, 11:09 PM
I had a chump on this board pull the same stunt on me.

I decided to just never deal with that particular person again, ever.

Our thoughts lead to words, our words lead to actions and our actions constitute our character.

So you now have discovered a person with poor character. Just never deal with that person again, ever.

I have also found that trades are the least likely transactions to conclude with everyone happy.

Mike Sr.
January 19, 2012, 11:17 PM
You have no clue about what happened on the other end, none!

So don't spend another minute of you life on this...it's not worth it, it's just not worth it!

chhodge69
January 19, 2012, 11:23 PM
Whenever I do a FTF trade I make a point to get some things out in the open up front. I put a time limit on making the arrangements and insist on a mutual right of refusal. If we can't get together the item is back on the market in a reasonable time. If either party does not like what they see in person it's OK to walk away, no hard feelings.

I would normally not consider an email exchange a binding agreement. It's a statement of intent with caveats because life happens and pictures can be deceiving. Until cash or items change hands it's not a deal.

Make your expectations clear and you'll avoid headaches down the road.

PastorAaron
January 19, 2012, 11:27 PM
Bred high end reptiles for a few years and started taking non refundable deposits to hold animals. When people have some skin in the game they tend to come through... Also made a good deal on flakes paying me to hold an animal for a month, then having a change of heart.
God Bless,
Aaron

303tom
January 19, 2012, 11:36 PM
Just let it go, O well, C`est la vie........(such is life)

ApacheCoTodd
January 20, 2012, 12:08 AM
People change their minds all the time - look for the aspect of the event that makes you say " I guess it was better that the trade didn't happen". I know whenever we try too a hard to make something happen, eventually we (wife & I) regret pushing it and realize we'd have been better off to let it pass.

Or - take it as an indicator that the fella is a goof who might have caused post-trade problems for you.

shiftyer1
January 20, 2012, 12:50 AM
There are alot of reasons he may have backed out, yes it's a pain for you but thats life.

Although I wouldn't commit until I was ready to deal in my world a water heater, car or hounddog could affect the deal. I would be quick to let you know that the deal wasn't going to happen.

Luckily I have had pretty good luck with my gun transactions, although I do have a guy thats coming for a riding lawnmower since june. Everytime I see him he'll be here saturday!

January 20, 2012, 04:42 AM
Happened to me, too. I just moved on, making a mental note of his username to never deal with him again.

MtnCreek
January 20, 2012, 09:00 AM
I would like to know who it is so I could avoid them.

wasr10634unme
January 20, 2012, 10:38 AM
yes oust the sneak theif

bds
January 20, 2012, 10:56 AM
This is what I would do.

I would post the "factual" events as they occur ... "Sold Pending Funds" until I actually receive money. If you start to have concerns of buyer being able to perform, you could always post, "Seeking backup buyers as have concern whether current buyer is able to complete the purchase" to put pressure on the buyer to perform and offer waiting list numbers to those interested. This should not affect the buyer as the buyer simply needs to produce money to complete the purchase. If the buyer cannot complete the purchase, you have buyers on the waiting list you can approach.

If the sale did not go through, simply post "deal fell through ... buyer was unable to make the purchase" and post the firearm is available again to the waiting list of buyers and repost, "Sold Pending Funds"

Fair enough?

Zach S
January 20, 2012, 11:20 AM
Backing out of a sale or trade is a pain in the butt. Its happened to me, and I've done it as well.

I wouldn't drag his name through the mud too much though. You never really know what's behind "I changed my mind." Maybe he isn't comfortable telling a complete stranger that his mother passed away, and had too much on his plate to worry about a car, er, a gun. Not that I know about that from personal experience and felt like a complete ******* afterwards...

roadchoad
January 20, 2012, 11:27 AM
I might be old school, but I like to be treated the same way I treat others, and I think people don't stop bad behavior if others ignore and enable it. A deal is a deal. You've already wasted time on the guy, so wouldn't you want to help save someone else from the same?

I might give them a chance to explain, but if not, tough luck. Negative feedback, and don't deal with the party again. If a man's word is worthless, so is he, IMO.

alsaqr
January 20, 2012, 01:14 PM
If a party agreed to a trade with you, then arbitrarily backed out, how would YOU handle it?

i'd just forget the whole thing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Party backs out on trade, what would YOU do?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!