Michael Corleone's "taped" revolver

PDA

Fatelvis
January 20, 2012, 09:18 PM
I'm just curious, what kind of tape did Michael have on the grips of his revolver in the infamous "restaurant shooting"? Was it carpet tape, toupee tape, duct, etc.?
Another question: why would anyone think that would hide fingerprints?
One more question: wouldn't it be hard to drop the gun, being sticky?
Ok, one more: when is it going to stop snowing so I can do something more constructive than watching old movies and asking stupid questions that have bugged me for 30 years?! Lol

If you enjoyed reading about "Michael Corleone's "taped" revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nyrifleman
January 20, 2012, 09:23 PM
Tape that has some kind of rough service would not leave fingerprints. I dunno what Michael Corleone would have had on his gun.

I have heard of criminals roughing up the surface of guns and knives with low-grit sandpaper (80 or 100 grit) to make it impossible for the weapon to collect fingerprints.

I can see why they would do it, though that idea makes me cringe. I love guns too much

ThatGuyHank
January 20, 2012, 09:27 PM
Also if you keep the gun it helps too. Hold the barrel end of the gun with a sleeve or hankerchief and pull the tape off. So even if the tape collected fingerprints they are now seperated from the gun. also teflon tape works well because of the uneven "net" type texture.

sm
January 20, 2012, 09:42 PM
I "thought" the tape used on the S&W Model 36 , was the old cloth electricians tape. Akin to friction tape used on bike handlebars, or "sports tape".

pearsonm
January 20, 2012, 09:58 PM
Good deal - I thought I was the only one with questions about that scene. :o

I have a couple, if I may..

Why did they make the trigger heavy?
Why was he instructed to drop the gun at the scene?

I know, I know - I need to stay out of the mob business. Iím a Kansas hick living in the Ozarks, so give me a break.

AK103K
January 20, 2012, 10:55 PM
Why was he instructed to drop the gun at the scene?
So if he was stopped, he wouldnt have the murder weapon on him.

If they cant trace the weapon to you, and you leave it at the scene.....

Hopefully, they thought it all out when they were loading the gun. :) ;)

Loosedhorse
January 20, 2012, 11:03 PM
To me, it looked like plastic electrician's tape; but of course that retains prints. I always took it to be a Hollywood oops, perhaps intentional (can't be training people how to conceal their fingerprints from the police!). ;)

It was meant to be a fabric tape, and maybe it was.

TurtlePhish
January 20, 2012, 11:48 PM
What? The famous movie suppressor on a revolver?

Ever heard of the Nagant 1895?

That there is probably the only suppressable revolver ever made. :cool:

JRH6856
January 21, 2012, 12:02 AM
You have to remember that the "restaurant shooting" in The Godfather took place in the late 1940s. Fingerprint technology was pretty much still dusting for prints with requires a smooth surface to get a usable print.

The tape used in that time period would have been cloth friction tape similar to what is used on hockey sticks today.

The trigger was heavy because Sonny (discounting Michael's military training) wanted it to hard for Michael to squeeze off a shot by accident if he was nervous.

pearsonm
January 21, 2012, 12:06 AM
Thank you, AK103K and MicroTecniqs. That makes sense now. I'll never make a good criminal - I'm not smart enough.

Tommygunn
January 21, 2012, 12:11 AM
Ever heard of the Nagant 1895?

That there is probably the only suppressable revolver ever made.

You're correct that the Nagant can be suppressed because of its unique cam system which shoves the cylinder forward as it's cocked, and the fact the bullet is totally sealed inside the case, leaving a collar to complete said seal.

~BUT~
Dan Wesson made a revolver for covert use that was suppressed. In order to use it you cocked it and the barrel screwed down manually to seal against the cylinder chamber.
It never really caught on, because outside of certain small groups of black ops guys there's few people who really need that sort of thing, and I guess because it's an answer to a question seldom if ever asked. Most people trying to suppress a weapon would simply start out with a semiauto from the get-go.

TurtlePhish
January 21, 2012, 12:14 AM
Dan Wesson made a revolver for covert use that was suppressed. In order to use it you cocked it and the barrel screwed down manually to seal against the cylinder chamber.
It never really caught on, because outside of certain small groups of black ops guys there's few people who really need that sort of thing, and I guess because it's an answer to a question seldom if ever asked. Most people trying to suppress a weapon would simply start out with a semiauto from the get-go.

I had no idea. Thanks for the info :)

That sounds a little annoying to use, though.

Also, I heard a suppressed Nagant once. I use the term "heard" loosely. :D

I don't think any semi could compare... It was pretty awesome.

Monkeyleg
January 21, 2012, 02:34 AM
I always figured it was some Hollywood bull. Thanks for the posts explaining it.

Still, when he was in the restaurant bathroom, he touched some blued areas of the gun. Was fingerprint technology that crude that a print couldn't have been lifted from that?

JRH6856
January 21, 2012, 03:24 AM
Dusting for prints didn't work real well on oily surfaces either. And curved surfaces often only yielded unusable partials. Also, prints had to be matched by hand. There was no computerized database to make "instant" comparisons. If you had a suspect, you might be able to match his prints to a print on the gun, but if all you had was a print from the gun, you really didn't have much to go on.

Monkeyleg
January 21, 2012, 03:30 AM
Thanks for that input, too, MicroTecniqs.

It probably didn't help things either when just about all of the eyewitnesses said the shooter looked like Al Pacino.

JRH6856
January 21, 2012, 03:45 AM
It probably didn't help things either when just about all of the eyewitnesses said the shooter looked like Al Pacino.

ROFL

Fatelvis
January 21, 2012, 07:45 AM
Now THAT'S funny! Lol

rbernie
January 21, 2012, 11:06 AM
And on that note, we're done - question (off topic as it might have been) has been asked and answered.

If you enjoyed reading about "Michael Corleone's "taped" revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!