Dispensing Cleaning Solvents

PDA

GarySTL
January 21, 2012, 09:42 PM
As most of us use various gun cleaning solvents, I was wondering if anyone is using Wash Bottles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wash_bottle) to dispense them? It would save the effort of removing and replacing bottle caps and make it easier to dispense solvent onto patches. I have two bottles similar to these (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/VESTIL-Plastic-Dispensing-Bottle-1TMN7?Pid=search) but wash bottles don't have caps to remove and I'm thinking it might be more convenient.

There's another alternative I'm considering, but don't know it's name. Remember when you went to the doctor to get a shot? He had a square bottle full of alcohol with a little metal dish on the top. He'd take a cotton ball and push it on the metal dish and a little alcohol would be dispensed.

I don't see them anymore but they might still be available if I knew the name.

Any one have any easier way to dispense their solvents?

If you enjoyed reading about "Dispensing Cleaning Solvents" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
January 21, 2012, 10:12 PM
I made a little wood box to set the bottle in so I don't knock it over.

Then patch and finger over the open bottle and tip or shake it.

Some powder solvents will attack plastic bottles.

Already BTDT with a pint of copper solvent spilled under all my gunsmith tools when the plastic bottle got ate out.

Don't want to go there again!

rc

GarySTL
January 21, 2012, 11:16 PM
Well, the wash bottles have narrow spouts and would only leak a few drops if knocked over.

Lucifer_Sam
January 21, 2012, 11:31 PM
Usually food storage plastics are ok for storage, They're resistant to most solvents and in useful shapes. Those bottles might be ok, too, check to see what number is on the bottle with the arrows around it, 1 is PETE and that seems fine (I'm using one for eds red and another for mineral spirits)-- 2 is HDPE and isnt as good, if I remember right it allows evaporation and is more vulnerable to solvents. I think that 3 is supposed to be fine, too, but I haven't really seen that one much and havent used it.

Actually, that open spout on those squirt bottles will cause you some evaporative loss, now that I think about it.

I've been thinking about moving most of my solvents (general ones, like acetone) to something like Gatorade bottles, alot of those metal cans they come in have crappy tops that let them evaporate.

bigfatdave
January 21, 2012, 11:38 PM
the wash bottles are an interesting idea, I'd wonder about control and portioning, plus that's a really large volume of solvent, I only have to refill my 3-4 ounce bottle a few times a year from the big glass bottles of solvent I buy at shows.

I use the little squeezy bottle that some shooter's choice solvent came in a long time ago, it has a twist-to-open cap/nozzle like a mustard bottle and doesn't leak.

I never understood the glass bottle concept for solvent, I don't want to dunk or pour, I just want to dispense a little bit at a time.

dfariswheel
January 22, 2012, 12:06 AM
One of the neater methods is to buy some plastic pipettes.
These are small plastic bulbs with a long spout, used to transfer solvents.

You can buy them from lab supply houses or under the Accu-Bore solvent name from Brownell's.
You can put exactly the right amount right where you want it.
I often put a patch or brush in the bore, then inject a slug of solvent directly into the barrel.

GarySTL
January 22, 2012, 09:14 AM
My BIL has some of the pipettes that his daughter in law got him along with the wash bottles.

The wash bottles come in various sizes down to I believe 4 Oz, and as big as 32 Oz. Some have vent holes for use with solvents that have high evaporation rates that would build pressure and force liquid out the spout.

I think I'll do some more research and make a test purchase.

Thanks for all the input.

rogerstg
January 22, 2012, 10:26 AM
fwiw, I use eye-drop bottles. The spout pries off the top and snaps back on.

Obviously, be sure to remove the label. I also mark the bottle and the top to eliminate confusion with actual eye drops.

They come in various sizes and also work well for bringing small quantities of oil along in the range bag.

jaguarxk120
January 22, 2012, 10:41 AM
One guy at the gun shows sell medical supplies. I get glass syringes from him and large bore needles. Trim the needles points as thay are very sharp, despensing any solvent or cleaner is very easy as the syringe holds just what I need for the job.
Also it's easier to insert a brush into a rifle bore then squirt solvent after it. That way I get all the liquid into the bore and a lot of it.

For oils I use a very fine needle and can do pin point oiling.

JohnBT
January 22, 2012, 10:46 AM
www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=32575/Product/Solvent-Bottles

4 ounce flip-top solvent bottles.

jbkebert
January 22, 2012, 10:50 AM
For my solovents I use things like this. You can find them at wal-mart sometimes or bed bath and beyond with fingernail polish removers. I sometimes buy them already full of acetone to clean my arrows before fletching or other times empty.

Fill with your favorite oil or solvent. Lay patch on top press down once or twice and your patch is saturated and ready to use. Nothing to spill and alot less odor.

http://www.amazon.com/Menda-35388-Round-Bottle-Stainless/dp/B003EOA8FG/ref=pd_sim_bt_3

nofishbob
January 22, 2012, 11:28 AM
I too use needle oilers with generally great results.

One caution is to remember that the needles are often harder than the finish of whatever you are oiling and may scratch the finish.

I learned this the hard way!

Bob

lightman
January 22, 2012, 06:37 PM
I also use the 4 oz bottles from Sinclair.A friends wife buys them for him from a beauty store supply or a lot less. Lightman

GarySTL
January 22, 2012, 08:50 PM
jbkebert That's the kind of bottle I was referring to in my first post. I was in BB&B today, but was looking for something else. I guess I'll have to go back tomorrow.:D

jbkebert
January 22, 2012, 09:04 PM
Since acetone has a very very high evaporation rate I don't worry alot about most of my gun cleaning chemicals. The bottles even work well with just a Q-Tip for those nooks and crannies.

If possible get ones with a stainless steel top and a glass jar. They are a little more $$ but will hold up to just about anything I would allow into my home.

GarySTL
January 23, 2012, 09:58 AM
Based on your link I did some additional Amazon searches.

I've ordered both glass a plastic bottles such as he one you linked. I've also ordered two sets of wash bottles. All should be here by the weekend.

I'll post some photos of what I get.

Thanks all.

brickeyee
January 23, 2012, 03:06 PM
Glass syringes and #14 needles.

I use a syringe every other day and the needles are not hard to find.

Vet supply is usually cheaper than human medical (lower liability).

jaguarxk120
January 24, 2012, 08:52 AM
Many times I'll use a small syringe with a 25 gauge needle, that setup will dispence a micro drop of oil/solvent exactly where I want it. There is no wiping after with oil running all over the gun.

brickeyee
January 24, 2012, 04:21 PM
Big bore needles are usually better for cleaning solvents.

It is rarely "micro drop" territory.

danbowkley
January 24, 2012, 08:04 PM
Here's the doctor's office style bottles you crave: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=20729/Product/FINGERTIP-PUMP-DISPENSER but they're out of stock. Handy as heck, they are.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dispensing Cleaning Solvents" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!