Model 41 trigger is very light

PDA

rogerstg
January 22, 2012, 01:54 PM
I bought a used S&W Model 41 a few months back and it seems accurate and eats CCI SV like a champ (since aggressively cleaning the chamber). Based on internet information, it appears to be from about 1979 or 1980.

The problem or blessing, depending on how you look at it, is that the trigger breaks at ~1#. I adjusted the pull adjusting lever as much as possible and only get to just under 1.5#. It was originally in the middle of the lever.

I am interested in getting the gun back to the stock configuration of a 2 to 3# trigger. And would appreciate any insight to what may have been done to get such a light pull, and how to easily get it back.

I know that I can shoot it as is, or send it to S&W. But being the tinkerer that I am, Id like to address it myself first. Might it me something as simple as getting a stock mainspring or trigger spring?

Any advice will be appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Model 41 trigger is very light" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
January 22, 2012, 02:02 PM
I would suggest a trip back to S&W.

I have a lot of experience with model 41's going back to 1968, and still have a parts box full of most all internal parts gathering dust.

I'm here to tell you Model 41 parts don't ever get used much, cause they don't hardly ever break or wear out of their own accord.

I would almost bet some Bubba did a shade tree trigger job on it and ruined the hammer or sear.

rc

243winxb
January 22, 2012, 02:23 PM
There was no way you could adjust to 3 lbs on mine.

rcmodel
January 22, 2012, 02:42 PM
BTW: Before you do anything else.
Give the hammer/trigger sear area a real good cleaning & relube.

I have seen unburned powder & gunk get stuck in the old grease and keep the sear from making full engagement with the hammer hooks on high milage guns.

rc

rogerstg
January 23, 2012, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the input. i made sure that the hammer, trigger and sear area were clean and nothing changed. I guess it's back to S&W when I get a chance. Until then, it's usable, just a bit light.

If you enjoyed reading about "Model 41 trigger is very light" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!