Shipping a rifle to yourself

PDA

cbmax
January 24, 2012, 06:03 PM
Hello,

I am planning a hunting trip to Montana. I have read online that you can ship firearms to yourself from yourself without an FFL. Unfortunatley when I called both UPS and Fed Ex they tell me that the shipment must go through an FFL. I don't think I want to rely on an FFL in a distant city to ship my firearms back to me. I was also trying to avoid the hassle of taking multiple guns on the airplane. Does anyone have any first hand experience in the matter? I have taken a single rifle on a plane before and the baggage fee wasn't too terrible, but I can only imagine what I am in for trying to take a case large enough for three rifles.

Thoughts?

CB

If you enjoyed reading about "Shipping a rifle to yourself" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
browneu
January 24, 2012, 07:15 PM
I've heard about that too. Did you think about going through the post office? They will ship rifles.

I think that the moderator Texas Rifleman made the point in the legal forum. It was Sam1911 not Texas Rifleman making the statement.

ColtPythonElite
January 24, 2012, 07:16 PM
Yep, you can mail to and from yourself thru the US mail.

cbmax
January 24, 2012, 08:23 PM
I am pretty sure ONLY FFL's can ship firearms through the US mail.

Birch Knoll
January 24, 2012, 08:37 PM
I am pretty sure ONLY FFL's can ship firearms through the US mail.

Only FFLs can send handguns through the mail. Anyone can mail a rifle or shotgun. You can't mail it interstate to an unlicensed individual, but you can mail it to yourself.

Ludasmith
January 24, 2012, 09:45 PM
I'd talk to the local postal worker about it. Bring any rules and regulations you can find with you to help guide them. Seems like they are usually as clueless as anyone about it but can be guided into finding the right answers.

bushmaster1313
January 24, 2012, 09:51 PM
Surprisingly, the United States Post Office will accept unloaded long guns for shipment.

I would use signature confirmation and full insurance. Signature confirmatioun means they will leave a pick-up slip in your mail box if someone is not there to sign for it.

Priority mail costs a few more dollars but it can cut the shipping time to two days.

fireman 9731
January 24, 2012, 09:55 PM
I shipped a rifle to myself from Colorado to Kentucky a few years ago, the post office was a little apprehensive but once I informed them of their regulations they shipped it.

It cost about 80 bucks with insurance and all.

bushmaster1313
January 24, 2012, 10:01 PM
How are you getting the rifles from NJ to Montana?

cbmax
January 25, 2012, 03:46 PM
Bushmaster,

It looks like I will buy a 3 gun case and take them on the plane.

CB

Sam1911
January 25, 2012, 03:48 PM
You may mail it to yourself in the care of another person at your destination address. They may receive the package, but may not open it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shipping a rifle to yourself" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!