Did your parents buy you guns?

PDA

wannabeagunsmith
January 24, 2012, 11:44 PM
It seems like a lot of parents here are buying their 5,8,10 year olds guns, but me at 16.... well I have never owned one of my own. My dad tells me that if I want one, I will have to get a job and earn it. Not a bad idea, except Washington is a place where people my age find it nearly impossible to say the least (both my sister and I have been looking for almost a year). Back to my original question, did your parents buy you guns or did yo do what I am trying to do?

If you enjoyed reading about "Did your parents buy you guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TurtlePhish
January 24, 2012, 11:46 PM
My dad buys me guns, but he makes me work for it. Also, when I wanted an AR-15, he got me a stripped lower and had me buy and assemble every other part myself. It was fun though. :D

wannabeagunsmith
January 24, 2012, 11:46 PM
Oh, and sorry about the I after the "did" in the title.

Dmitri Popov
January 24, 2012, 11:47 PM
My grandmother bought me my first rifle, still have it, and shoot it every single trip to the range.

c01
January 24, 2012, 11:48 PM
First rifle eight. First pistol (Ruger Mark 1) 9. Everthing after me. Dad was and still is a great guy. Added. Times were different then. I dont know what normal ages are now. My son is 13 and has a G21.

D

Bobson
January 24, 2012, 11:51 PM
I hate to say it, but technically, what you want to do sounds like earning the money for a firearm on your own, giving that money to your folks, and having them buy you that firearm - which is a straw purchase (illegal). I'm not saying I believe that's fair/right, because I don't. Just saying what the law is.

To answer your question, yes. My parents bought my brother and I each one firearm. We got our first airguns (of many) when I was 9 and he was 7, but our first actual firearms were gifted when I was 14 and he was 12. I chose a Maverick Model 88; he chose a Mosin Nagant. And both were precluded with a few years of asking, and doing what we could to show we were responsible enough to be trusted with them. We also lived in a very rural area, which helped a lot.

wannabeagunsmith
January 24, 2012, 11:55 PM
I hate to say it, but technically, what you want to do sounds like earning the money for a firearm on your own, giving that money to your folks, and having them buy you that firearm - which is a straw purchase (illegal). I'm not saying I believe that's fair/right, because I don't. Just saying what the law is.

I don't want to do it this way, I would much rather have him buy me a gun. :D I will pass this on, and let him know. I kinda figured it sounded like a straw purchase..

mo841
January 24, 2012, 11:55 PM
My dad got me a mossberg 12 gage. I really dont know how old I was but I was young (couldn't hunt yet so under the age of 12). before I was 18 I gave my mom the money to buy me my mossberg 410 pump. out of the 7 guns I have now, only one was given to me. As a father of a 7 yr old I did already buy him his first 410.

click clack
January 24, 2012, 11:56 PM
First rifle at 12 (marlin model 60) from my Grandad. And first pistol at 15(taurus model 94) from my Mom for a Christmas present.

gamestalker
January 25, 2012, 12:06 AM
My Dad was not a gun pro individual, and could certainly have been considered an anti. My Mom on the other hand was raised with them, and her Dad was a hunter and outdoor type. My Mom bought me my first gun, a pump pellet rifle at age 7 or 8. I instantly became addicted to hunting and shooting and progressed to hunting with a 22 cal. revolver by age 12. I loved them from the get go and am the only one of 6 children who grew up with a love and facination for firearms.

bruzer
January 25, 2012, 12:13 AM
My first .22 rifle was a hand me down from my Great-Grandpa. With any luck it will be handed down to my Grandson. Was well into my middle 20's before actually purchasing a rifle. And in my 30's before I purchased a hand gun.
Good luck and stay safe,
Mike

Dr.Rob
January 25, 2012, 12:26 AM
Yes, I got several firearms as gifts.

The_Next_Generation
January 25, 2012, 12:29 AM
It seems here in Western WA, not many minors have access to firearms. In September, I had saved up some money and went to the gun store with my dad, where he handed the fella my cash, and the attendant handed us the rifle. Yes, it was a "straw purchase", but I don't think the law sees it in that way because he is my legal guardian. When you are under 18, anything in your possession is legally owned by your parents. If you go shoot someone with "your" .22, what you really did was shoot someone with your dad/mom's .22.

One of my friends recently did the same thing I did, and another is well on his way (I have been very busy converting my friends and family since my first purchase :D ).

Be patient, get outstanding grades, push yourself, earn your own money, and educate your parents about the REALITY of firearms. This worked for me, and has worked for many others. Good luck, keep us posted!

Arkansas Paul
January 25, 2012, 12:30 AM
My father gave me 3 guns. My brother gave me 1. I was given one from my uncle and I'm the 3rd Paul to have it. Hopefully not the last.

My daughter got a pink .22 Cricket on her 6th birthday. Hey, it's what she wanted. I love it when anti people find out about that and just can't believe I got my 6 year old a gun. Like I just hand it to her with a box of ammo and say, "Have fun kiddo." :rolleyes:

Also, when I wanted an AR-15, he got me a stripped lower and had me buy and assemble every other part myself. It was fun though.

Now that my friend, is just plain awesome!

NOLAEMT
January 25, 2012, 01:04 AM
Yep...

Not when I was younger however.

My dad was into guns as a yougster, but "grew out of them" by the time I was born. It was actually I that got him back into guns and shooting (He just told me yesterday that he had a lawyer friend set up an NFA trust, and is now looking at supressors!)

So I didn't get any guns as a kid or teen, but I did get a colt 1911 from him as a gift last month, he has its twin with the following serial number.

Inebriated
January 25, 2012, 01:22 AM
Yep.

paintballdude902
January 25, 2012, 01:26 AM
a few till i turned 18 ever since then its been all me

doc2rn
January 25, 2012, 02:22 AM
My dad and I went halves on the first pistol to enter our house, a Ruger Standard .22lr. I got a pistol as a first instead of a rifle 1) because its what I really wanted 2) it was a .22 lr and my dad approved my caliber choice 3) he had bought my older brother a .22 the previous christmas and he refused to let anyone (including himself) shoot it.... still sits under his bed in the original box 32 yrs later.

hq
January 25, 2012, 04:18 AM
It seems like a lot of parents here are buying their 5,8,10 year olds guns, but me at 16.... well I have never owned one of my own. My dad tells me that if I want one, I will have to get a job and earn it.

Your dad has a point.

My parents never bought me any, but I had access to theirs by just asking. At the age of 15 I found myself a weekend and summer job in retail and started buying my own. I've bought my teenage son a few guns, with an agreement that he'll have to buy and reload his own ammo; that may not sound like a big deal but he's practising IPSC and several thousands of rounds a year cost about the same the guns are worth each.

Hunting trips are on me, though. :)

mgmorden
January 25, 2012, 05:07 AM
My parents gave me 3 guns total.

1. 20ga single shot at 8 years old. We hunted a lot - this was a starter gun to get me started. It was a Christmas present.
2. .30-06 bolt action at around 14 years old. Again - hunting. My dad felt I had gotten old enough to move from buckshot to a rifle, so I got a rifle. This was also a Christmas present.
3. 12ga auto-loader at around 16 years old. I needed something with a little more firepower than the 20ga. My dad had a Browning A-5 that he never shot well so he just let me have it one day.

It worked out fine. No I didn't work for those myself, but it was all fine. I've held at least a part time job since I was 15 and have held a full-time job ever since I graduated from college (and have bought plenty guns of my own since then), so I managed to get a work ethic regardless :).

bannockburn
January 25, 2012, 05:55 AM
No my parents never bought me any firearms, noting that toy guns and water pistols don't count. After serving in the army, my Dad lost any interest he may have had in guns when he was growing up. Mom was borderline anti-gun, though more for safety reasons (you'll shoot your eye out or you'll shoot your brothers eye out), than anything else. When my brother turned 21 he started buying handguns and when I turned 18 I started buying rifles and shotguns.

Gimmered
January 25, 2012, 07:45 AM
Best advice I can give you is you won't find a job at the end of an XBox controller. If you want a gun you can find a way to earn 2 or 3 hundred bucks to buy one.

Swichblade
January 25, 2012, 07:57 AM
My parents have gotten me some guns. My first shotgun was a used winchester 1200 for 140 dollars, I paid half. I paid all of the 140 dollars for my mossburg 702 plinkster. I was given a Savage Model 14 .308 for my sixteenth birthday. I was saving up money to buy a walther p1 but my parents beat me to it. My mother bribed me with a ruger blackhawk .45 colt/.45 acp to stay at home for one more year. My next gun will be a ruger lcr, and I hope I actually buy this one.

19-3Ben
January 25, 2012, 08:00 AM
When I was 21 and got my carry permit, my father gave me his Sig P232SL as my first carry gun. He never bought me a gun as a child, but I think he made up for it!

Sport45
January 25, 2012, 08:05 AM
Yes, and I gave my sons firearms when I thought they were ready.

What your father is doing is his right to do. He wants you to earn it, probably believing you will value it more that way. Personally, I would forgo the straw purchase bit by gifting my son the firearm after he had shown me he could earn it. He would then have to put his money into a savings account and start earning for ammo. :)

medalguy
January 25, 2012, 12:49 PM
Yes my dad gave me my first gun at about age 12, then a couple more before I truned 18. I also bought several with my own money from pawn shops and gun stores before I was 18, and at 17 even found a scrapyard with a bunch of demilled .50 BMG in a pile, and bought several and made a working .50 with my dad's help. Hey, this was in 1960, and it was a very different time back then. Machine guns were no big deal, no one really cared very much, and they didn't even require registration as demils. Of course, putting one back together was a no-no, but I did register them during the '68 amnesty.

TurtlePhish
January 25, 2012, 03:02 PM
made a working .50 with my dad's help.

NICE. :evil:

JustinJ
January 25, 2012, 03:05 PM
My dad bought me a pellet gun, .22 rifle and first shotgun when i was a teenager. He also gave me my grandaddy's Winchester mod 94.

JerseyChris
January 25, 2012, 03:07 PM
I was about 10 or 11 when my Dad starting teaching me to shoot a 22 rifle.. Been hooked since.. I bought my first handgun when I was 22 though.

AlabamaDan
January 25, 2012, 03:14 PM
I bought my first gun myself. It was a cheapo 380 semi-auto pistol that I've sold to a friend not long after because I couldn't hit anything with it. The same friend I bought a cheap .38 special from a few years later. Ain't nothing ever been given to me.

BUT, I plan to buy a .22 my kids can shoot. Whether or not it's mine or theirs remains to be seen...

mole
January 25, 2012, 03:23 PM
My parents where anti gun and still lean that way. That being said, they did buy me my first gun---a Mossberg 500 in 12ga. I was a good student and started working the day after I turned 15. When they asked me what I might like for a graduation present I said the Mossberg. They gave me the money to get it with no argument.

John

Ky Larry
January 25, 2012, 03:26 PM
For my 9th Christmas (1962) Dad bought me a brand new Remington 514 .22 rifle. Still have it and shoot it.

heeler
January 25, 2012, 03:33 PM
Was given my first Daisy BB gun at the age of 6 by my parents.
Another Daisy at 9.
A Benjamin .177 pellet rifle at 12.
An H&R 20 gauge single shot at 13.
And my dear late mom bought me my first deer rifle at the age of 20 in 1973.

wannabeagunsmith
January 25, 2012, 03:54 PM
Best advice I can give you is you won't find a job at the end of an XBox controller. If you want a gun you can find a way to earn 2 or 3 hundred bucks to buy one.

I don't play video games of any sort (Unless you count Microsoft Flight Simulator, for flight training) so that won't be a problem. Good advise nonetheless. My dad has a 9mm pistol and a 10/22 for plinking which I get to shoot (he hasn't let me shoot the 9mm as of yet) when we go. The strange thing is that it was me who convinced him to buy the guns but oh well.. Like I said, finding jobs in my part of the country is pretty hard. But I hope to take an "intro to handgun safety and marksmanship" class at the range fairly soon.

JohnBT
January 25, 2012, 04:04 PM
Yes.

When I was 5 my grandparents gave me a BB rifle, wall rack and metal-box cleaning kit for Christmas. That was 1955 and children were allowed to have guns - it was normal.

During the next, oh, 6 or 7 years my parents gave me a Savage 24 .22WMR/.410 and a Fox Model B 12 ga. My uncle gave me a Marlin Mountie. I know I'm forgetting something, but that list will do for now.

Of course I had access to any number of guns if I asked to use them, but those few were mine.

John

edited to add: I had to buy my own BBs and ammo.

holdencm9
January 25, 2012, 05:52 PM
It seems here in Western WA, not many minors have access to firearms. In September, I had saved up some money and went to the gun store with my dad, where he handed the fella my cash, and the attendant handed us the rifle. Yes, it was a "straw purchase", but I don't think the law sees it in that way because he is my legal guardian. When you are under 18, anything in your possession is legally owned by your parents. If you go shoot someone with "your" .22, what you really did was shoot someone with your dad/mom's .22.

I think you are right. Technically that rifle belongs to your dad until you turn 18, and then he would "gift" it to you.

At least, I hope that is how it works :uhoh: Because that is what I did when I was 12...my dad made me save up.

What is the statute of limitations on that kind of thing?

almherdfan
January 25, 2012, 06:01 PM
No. My parents would not allow firearms in the house, not even a BB gun. However, when I returned to their home (briefly) as a young adult, I owned a Ruger Super Redhawk and they did let me keep that.

I have bought several guns for my son (12) but the guns stay in my room, locked up. Maybe when he's older, I'll let him keep one in his room, but the ammo will stay with me. Even if I trust him, I probably won't trust his friends.

Numeric
January 25, 2012, 06:16 PM
My aunt, a vet and lifelong hunter in northern WI gave me a .22 for my 11th birthday. My parents were fine with it (dad used his to dispatch troublesome critters), but I wasn't allowed to shoot without supervision, or near the house.

My high-school graduation present from my dad was a sporterized M1898 Krag. :D

2ifbyC
January 25, 2012, 09:34 PM
The only gun my Dad bought me was a Daisy BB gun which my Mother promptly hid and I never saw again. In fact, the only gun he ever owned was a Montgomery Wards “Ted Williams” single shot bolt action .22 rifle that he paid $10 for.

The above is anecdotal evidence that being a “gun nut” is not necessary tied to your genes.:evil:

NinjaFeint
January 25, 2012, 09:37 PM
No one has ever bought me a gun. I did take the CCW class with my dad and brother though. My mom, gf and brother's gf took it together too.

writerinmo
January 25, 2012, 09:38 PM
They bought me a Daisy BB gun that I promptly took out and killed a cottontail, my first kill. Dad showed me how to clean it, Mom fried it up for me, best meal I ever had. Got it take away a few days later for shooting the yardlight out at the empty farmhouse across the highway from us. Firearms? Nope, that was on me to purchase. We had an old Winchester single shot .22 that was kept in the stairway that I wasn't allowed to touch. Of course I spent many hours messing around with it, kids being kids.

fatcat4620
January 25, 2012, 09:39 PM
My dad gave me some and my son is not even born yet and he has two. One from me and one from his grandfather:D

nighter
January 25, 2012, 09:42 PM
First rifle at 13 it was my great grandfathers .22 from 1895 still have it and it shoots great.

JVaughn
January 25, 2012, 09:54 PM
My dad gave me my first one when I was 11 y.o. I still have it. Since then, he has given me several for Christmas gifts; in fact I just got one this past Christmas.

wrs840
January 25, 2012, 10:04 PM
My dad gave me my first for my 12th birthday, a used, no s.n. Glenfield Model 25 bolt action .22 rifle, and I still have it. He recently gave my 14 year old son his Marlin 39A, (which was the first gun I ever shot, when I was eight). Thanks Dad.

hermannr
January 25, 2012, 10:14 PM
Wannabe, where in WA do you live. Come spring there are berries, and bulbs, spinich seed weeding.....you are not quite old enough for peas, but if you have access to any agracultural areas there are summer (and some spring/fall/winter) work to be found for young folk in that area. There is always yard work in more urban, suburban areas....$10/hr their equipment, $20/hr your equipment. A lot of people would rather pay to have their yard work done than do it themselves.

Ag is one of the few areas the Unions have not put off limits for kids (through legislation) the Unions don't like cheap compitition and the unions are politically strong in WA.

There are other things you can do, like volunteer where you would like to be employed later, but you cannot be "paid" for the work...it is just a way to get your foot in the door. Probably the most visible of these kind of volunteers is the candy stripers at your local hospital, but that is not the only place...you say you want to be a gun smith...find a gun smith that will allow you to help, while you learn.

theCloud
January 25, 2012, 10:15 PM
Wow... hell no!
My parents are strongly anti-gun. In their minds, it's the same thing as giving me a spoon, lighter, a dirty needle they got from a junkie, and some heroin and telling me that if I shoot up, it will feel really good.

drivadesl
January 25, 2012, 11:01 PM
No, but my MIL bought me an awesome Swedish Mauser for my birthday one year. Best present ever, and best MIL who ever lived, (for this and many other reasons).

Dr Dave
January 25, 2012, 11:09 PM
No, my parents are so anti they wouldn't even let me have a cap gun (Thanks Uncle John, hee hee).

When my sister married a Class III guy, he managed to convince my mom she needed a self defense handgun. She was about 75 at the time and got a Dan Wesson .22 with an 8" barrel. Think it weighed about 50lbs. When I asked to see what she'd chosen because I was all happy, I found it loaded with BLANKS, because, 'Well I wouldn't want to SHOOT anybody'.

I took it off her and gave it back to my brother-in-law.

digsigs226
January 25, 2012, 11:37 PM
I got a Daisy pellet gun for my 12th Christmas but after that nothing.

I think my parents were, and still are put off by my affinity for firearms...

ChopperKen
January 26, 2012, 06:34 AM
My parents gave my brother and I each a 20 ga Stevens
Single shot for Christmas when we turned 12.
We kept them in our shared bedroom with ammo on the nightstand
Between our beds.
Now that I'm a adult (47)I buy my own.

wannabeagunsmith
January 26, 2012, 04:00 PM
Wannabe, where in WA do you live. Come spring there are berries, and bulbs, spinich seed weeding.....you are not quite old enough for peas, but if you have access to any agracultural areas there are summer (and some spring/fall/winter) work to be found for young folk in that area. There is always yard work in more urban, suburban areas....$10/hr their equipment, $20/hr your equipment. A lot of people would rather pay to have their yard work done than do it themselves.

Ag is one of the few areas the Unions have not put off limits for kids (through legislation) the Unions don't like cheap compitition and the unions are politically strong in WA.

There are other things you can do, like volunteer where you would like to be employed later, but you cannot be "paid" for the work...it is just a way to get your foot in the door. Probably the most visible of these kind of volunteers is the candy stripers at your local hospital, but that is not the only place...you say you want to be a gun smith...find a gun smith that will allow you to help, while you learn.

Hm, that is something to look in to....where I live (near spokane) there aren't really any big farms, but there is a couple of firearms retailers.

AK_Maine_iac
January 26, 2012, 04:24 PM
Yes
My first gun was a Savage over/under 22LR/.410. Was my birthday at the ripe old age of 5. That would have been back in 1956.

jon86
January 26, 2012, 05:05 PM
My parents did not buy me guns. They never owned any themselves. I waited until I was old enough to buy my first gun myself. They didn't have a problem with it being in the house, and it actually made them "feel safer." Since then my Dad has bought his own guns. :D

postalnut25
January 26, 2012, 05:15 PM
Nope. My parents don't even own a firearm.

However, I've made up for this with my kids because all five of them have at least one gun. Even my 3yo, with his little Crickett. Don't worry, though, since he is abnormally large it was easy for him to go shooting with it. I just had to help load the cartridge into the chamber.

Uberti
January 26, 2012, 05:24 PM
I was not allowed to have a BB or pellet gun until I was an adult. Dad had a point. They are thought of as toys instead of guns. A friend thought it was a travesty that I didn't own a pellet gun and gave me my first red rider for my 28'th birthday.

I did, however, have a breach loading single shot .22 at an age that would send the child welfare people into conniptions in modern times. I don't know if this could be considered mine though, dad just picked up a rifle for me to shoot. I don't know that I was actually "given" a firearm until I hit 15.

Mike1234567
January 26, 2012, 05:25 PM
Yes, my parents spoiled me rotten. I'm not going to work and you'd better darned-well give me what I want or this 50-year-old baby is gonna scream and stamp his little feet!!:D

Dnaltrop
January 26, 2012, 05:31 PM
Red Ryder BB gun as a "joke" gift the only one bought "for" me. 3 years ago. Yes Christmas, No, I didn't shoot my eye out.

I've gotten a few family antiques here and there, but nothing outside of hereditary trickle-down. ( or intended for heavy use)

coolluke01
January 26, 2012, 05:41 PM
My Dad bought me a ruger 10/22 when I was about 15. Greatest present ever. I still have it and I have shot 1000's of rounds through it. At 15 I was working along side him in our family business all summer. This was my "payment/birthday present".
I plan on giving guns to my boys when they are old enough. They aren't getting my 10/22 though for a while. They can have their own, this ones mine.

moojpg2
January 26, 2012, 06:34 PM
I got a Model 7 in 7mm-08 when I was in middle school, Winchester 1300 20g when I was in maybe 9th grade, both hunting intended. I've bought everything else, I've worked since I was 14. I've always had access to my dad's guns though if I want to use them or shoot them. I am also responsible for doing all of our reloading, although we share the expense. Even though I'm 23 now, my parents live close to our range and I keep everything there, we have a dry erase board on the safes. We just leave a note so we know who has what. We never really planned it that way its just worked out over the years.

mljdeckard
January 26, 2012, 06:44 PM
Dad bought me a F.I.E. Nylon 66 knockoff when I was in 7th or 8th grade. I bought him a Ruger Single-Six for father's day several years ago. When he died, it went to my sister. along the years he either gave me or I inherited a Remington 700 VSSF 22-250, a S&W (Howa) 1500 in .270, a Ruger 10/22, a 700 BDL 30-06, a Remington 760 in .257 Roberts, and a Ruger Mk I. From HIS father, I inherited a 1917 Enfield, an M-1 Carbine, a Colt Woodsman, and a Model 97 16 Ga.

With division between me and the other siblings, we have a rule. These guns NEVER leave the family.

Strykervet
January 26, 2012, 06:48 PM
8 yo I got an air rifle, a 10/22 and a shotgun. Not all at once, the air rifle was to prepare me for hunting and arms safety and the shotgun was actually first.

At 14 I bought all my own and I got an M11 (what junk, but hey it was the '80's) and a stainless Smith .38spcl. At 16 I got an SKS and another 10/22.

At 18 I was able to buy whatever I wanted and went haywire --I liked AK's then of course, this was before the day of the M4.

I couldn't imagine my mother, father or grandmother telling me no on that. This was all before the straw purchase stuff back when a parent buying a kid a weapon was a parent buying a kid a weapon. I think all that happened back then was that they signed --I actually paid for them from 14 on. This was also in the South and I didn't know a kid that didn't have some kind of firearm.

We used to look like a fire team coming out of the woods, all of us kids with our air rifles. MAN those were the days! Cops didn't mess with you unless you shot at their car or shot out windows or did something stupid.

Believe it or not, what your dad is doing is probably the right thing if he isn't willing to teach you or supervise. A 16yo with no firearms exp. is no different than an 8yo --or a 30yo, seen that too. So I agree with him and I don't at the same time, but that is because I was brought up that it was the duty of the parent to pass on the past, and in my case that was living off the land and pioneer skills.

I wouldn't trade those skills for all the money in the world.

For you, I recommend doing what he says, get the money somehow (I bought all mine at 14, my grandmother didn't, and I got that money throwing papers and mowing giant acre plus lawns --in 100+ degree heat for $20). Seemed like a good deal then! One friend bought a riding mower used and took over the whole neighborhood, he had a car in a year or so. I also detasseled corn in NE for cash too.

It isn't so easy today though.

Strykervet
January 26, 2012, 06:52 PM
Oh yeah, you should look around for storm damage to clean up. I remember going door to door DURING a blizzard to shovel snow in NE. Anything to make a buck. The people told me I was crazy, and I ended up crawling home using the curb to get back in a whiteout. Four feet of snow!

Money doesn't always come easy for a kid, you have to be very enterprising and do stuff others don't want to, menial jobs. Just ask around.

I bet if you cough up the cash and take that to your dad without him knowing he'll be impressed too.

12gaugeTim
January 26, 2012, 06:59 PM
In order of appearance, a Red Rider, single shot .410, Mossberg 500 20g, Henry lever .22, Parker Tornado, Benelli Ultralight, single shot Ithaca .22, Encore 50 bp, and just today, a .308 barrel for the Encore.
Hoping to grow it more until its unreasonable to type them all. My dad knows how much I enjoy it and looks to get guns as gifts often. So happy to not be living in an anti-gun household :D

elrowe
January 26, 2012, 07:11 PM
10/22 - great choice, carried mine in the squirrel woods yesterday. Hopefully your dad's plan is to pass it to you someday. Seriously, don't worry about it, he's taking care of the best part he can for you, spending time working with you to learn shooting safely. You don't need your own gun yet, but if you're not already, keep showing him more and more responsibility, take over cleaning it after you shoot with him, research accessories that you can install to learn some basic smithing skills and ask if you can buy them and put them on your shared gun (I'd start with an extended magazine release, they're only about twenty bucks, and are a huge improvement).

Be patient, he's making sure you're ready before he takes you to another step, and in the mean time, you've got a great hobby to share with him, that'll make memories for the rest of your life.

Mike1234567
January 26, 2012, 07:15 PM
Strykervet... You've got that right, buddy!! ;)

purpplehaze
January 26, 2012, 07:19 PM
All sorts

scout123
January 26, 2012, 07:25 PM
I started shooting a BB gun when I was 6. My father handed down to me a Remington Nylon 66 when I was eight( which I still have iron sights on). The only other gun that was given to me was a Marlin .35. Things were real tight around the house when I was growing up. All of the other guns that I have I went out and worked for them. As a teenager it was getting lawn jobs and other various means to keep on hunting and shooting. My son and daughter have been shooting BB guns since they were four. We just got our son on a .22, he is nine now.

2ifbyC
January 26, 2012, 07:28 PM
I forgot. As previously stated, my Mother hated guns so my parents never purchased any for me. But my Uncle Sam gave me an M16 as a gift right after I completed my B.S. in college. I had to accept or I went to jail; I accepted.:uhoh:

FROGO207
January 26, 2012, 07:36 PM
A .22 single shot then a 12 GA single shot and a 30-30 all before I was 12. I was shooting in the summertime with both grandfathers when I was 4 and with my father that fall. Getting rid of red tree rats by myself at 6 with my .22 and I was off on many adventures after that.:D

hey_poolboy
January 26, 2012, 07:42 PM
My grandparents and parents bought me a 10/22 for my 9th birthday. That's the only firearm that I didn't have to work for and buy on my own. That doesn't make it any less special. That's probably the only gun I own that I would never let go.

There is something to be said for earning it yourself. You tend to put a little more thought into what you want when you're putting the money on the line.

mulh222
January 26, 2012, 07:51 PM
Hell yes, my parents bought me my first and I've bought everyone since for myself. In turn I bought my wife and three sons their first rifles and each one their first pistol. Along with these gifts I included the proper training and usage for each one. God bless us all.

JohnM
January 26, 2012, 07:53 PM
Yep. A BB gun about 1947, followed by a few others at various Christmases.
The last was a beautiful customized 03 Springfield my Dad presented to me after I got back from overseas and out of the service.

Stevie-Ray
January 26, 2012, 08:10 PM
Only my first in 1968 when I was 12. A Stevens Model 34 bolt-action .22. Still have it and still love it.

shooter_from_show-me
January 26, 2012, 08:19 PM
Nope.

baylorattorney
January 26, 2012, 08:39 PM
14th birthday universal ( a good one) m1 carbine! Then they wonder why? Lol. Thank heavens they did. Taught me early how to respect and care for a gun. .22 hornet at age 8. .410 pump with a sawed off stock to fit at 9 and on... No handguns tho... Did that myself first thing when I turned 21. Beretta 96fs centurion!

forgottenson
January 26, 2012, 09:09 PM
At 13, my mom and step father got me a Marlin Model 60 and when I was 16 the got me a Single Shot 12 gauge from Sears.

x_wrench
January 26, 2012, 10:07 PM
yes, my dad did buy me one gun. but it was when i was in my mid twenties. he helped me buy my first gun, when i was about 14. by lending me $40.00, which i had to work off. of course, just the ammo expense teaching 3 boys in a row as we grew up hurt him bad enough. but none of us think about that, until we are grown. and sadly, dad is gone, and i can not thank him for all the things he did for us.

nccavediver
January 26, 2012, 10:12 PM
My grandparents got nice pellet guns for me, my bro and my cousins when we around 8 to 10 - Killed many a birds with my pellet gun at our farmhouse.

On my 14th birthday my dad gave me 870Wingmaster that his dad had given to him when he was 14. That was the first year I could hunt in MI.

We lived in shotgun-only zone so that is why it was a shotgun vs a rifle. Not many people in those days had rifles laying around because they weren't legal to use hunting where we lived.

wannabeagunsmith
January 26, 2012, 10:15 PM
Believe it or not, what your dad is doing is probably the right thing if he isn't willing to teach you or supervise. A 16yo with no firearms exp. is no different than an 8yo --or a 30yo, seen that too. So I agree with him and I don't at the same time, but that is because I was brought up that it was the duty of the parent to pass on the past, and in my case that was living off the land and pioneer skills.

Well, he has taught me a lot, but I was in the hobby before he was.... but I am sure things will work out just fine. :)

chas3stix
January 26, 2012, 10:28 PM
Easy to answer.....no.

Psa1m144
January 26, 2012, 10:29 PM
No, my parents are pretty much anti-gun. I did not get my first gun until I was 21.

LibShooter
January 26, 2012, 10:35 PM
My Dad and I shared his guns until he bought me my own Universal M1 Carbine at 14 or 15.

Mustang02
January 26, 2012, 10:45 PM
Yes. I was given a shotgun at 11 and a Remington 308 at 14. I have been around firearms my whole life.

JoeMal
January 26, 2012, 10:51 PM
Yes. My first gun was a 12 gauge and it came from my Dad. I was 13

Powerglide
January 26, 2012, 11:04 PM
22 at 7 or so . 410 springfield at 9. It depends on the kid though.

Ala Dan
January 27, 2012, 10:24 AM
Postively, NO~! My parents were not against guns; they just did not
want me too own one~! ;) :eek: :confused:

porchdog
January 27, 2012, 04:33 PM
Yes. BB gun at about 6. Pellet rifle, 12ga single shot, and there was a hand me down .22 that I also used. I bought a .22 magnum rifle from a Western Auto store when I was 14. Made payments of 5.oo a month. Then when I was grown, and out of the army my Dad bought me a Remington 700BDL in 30.06. I still have the had me down .22, the pellet rifle and the 30.06. Also have a pistol from WWII with the papers issued to my Dad to bring the gun back as war souvenir.

303tom
January 27, 2012, 07:37 PM
NO, just pass downs.........

Gladius
January 27, 2012, 07:52 PM
Yes, they gave me a Ruger 10-22 for Christmas (or was it my Birthday?) one year, long ago.... one of the best gifts I ever got, needless to say.... :)

GBExpat
January 27, 2012, 08:00 PM
Back to my original question, did your parents buy you guns or did yo do what I am trying to do?

For Christmas prior to my 12th birthday (January B-Day) my dad & mom gave me a .22 semi-auto rifle.

For Christmas prior to my 18th birthday my dad & mom gave me a 12 Gauge Pump Shotgun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Did your parents buy you guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!