Finally took the plunge with Dillon

PDA

MoreIsLess
January 25, 2012, 05:59 PM
After much wavering, I finally took the plunge and ordered a Dillon 550B. Ordered it from Brian Enos based on recommendations from this board. Should be here by the end of the week (I hope).

If you enjoyed reading about "Finally took the plunge with Dillon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mdm3
January 25, 2012, 06:08 PM
Nice! You made a great choice with the 550. I love mine!

Kingcreek
January 25, 2012, 06:11 PM
I've never regretted buying my 550, upgraded to the "B" later when they came out. Loaded many, many perfect rounds. The few imperfect ones were mostly my fault.

Kevin Rohrer
January 25, 2012, 06:41 PM
It will take a bit to setup, but will be worth it. If you decide you don't like the "Dillon Lean", the Strong Mount and roller handle are worthy additions. And help is available here and most other reloading forums.

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0655.jpg

hawgrider
January 25, 2012, 07:09 PM
I want one! Good luck and I am sure you will enjoy.

IROCZ
January 25, 2012, 07:11 PM
You made a great choice! I've had mine for years and have nothing but good to say about it and Dillion service!

BYJO4
January 25, 2012, 09:59 PM
Congrats on your Dillon. While I use the Hornady LNL AP, the Dillon is a great press and will last forever.

Damon555
January 26, 2012, 12:41 AM
I ordered from Brian last month....It took about a week to get to TN....if you live on Dillons side of the country you might have it this week. You won't get any tracking info. The package will just show up. No complaints here. The machine is a work of art for sure!

loadedround
January 26, 2012, 01:05 AM
You will be well pleased! I've been a Dillon owner for over 25 years. :)

Redneckly33
January 26, 2012, 01:35 AM
Like Kingcreek said, most of the imperfect rounds you make will be something you did to cause it. Only problems I've ever had with my 550B, were self induced. Read directions carefully when setting up your Press. When you get it dialed in, LOAD AWAY.

Robert

rockn30809
January 26, 2012, 01:49 AM
Congrats! I own 2 550's and a 450 with all the updates except the frame upgrade. There will be a 650 added to the bench soon. Best thing I did was sell all my previous presses and upgrade to Dillon.

dnmccoy
January 26, 2012, 07:46 PM
I love my 550!

Hondo 60
January 26, 2012, 09:11 PM
I love my 550 too.

Started out with a Lee single stage (which I still use),
went to a Pro 1000. It was so frustrating I boxed it up & sold it.
Went to a Lee turret, it was OK.
But an acquaintance NEVER used his 550 so he sold it to me.

I've had it about a year & 3 months.
I could never go back, I'm too spoiled.

GT1
January 26, 2012, 11:20 PM
Just got this mounted up today. :)

It is a solid tool(And it is large, the LCT is tiny next to it. ).
Good thing the bench is 1 1/2" hard ply screwed down, lagged into the wall also.
Bought through Enos, with the 'as it should be' pack and casefeeder also.

gahunter12
January 26, 2012, 11:33 PM
Great choice!! I ordered mine last month after Christmas. Brian was great to deal with. Read the instructions and watch the video.

Metal Tiger
January 26, 2012, 11:42 PM
SWEET man. You made a GOOD choice. I love my 550B after debating with myself and considering the 650 I finally opted for the 550B and do not regret it one bit. YOU WILL LOVE IT. I use the Strong mount which really stabilizes everything on the bench.

If you grow into reloading and end up shooting over 4000 rounds of one caliber per month then you can save up and add the 650 but for all around reloading of many different calibers, the Dillon 550B is the best choice. That is my unbiased opinion.

Welcome to the Blue Haze club.http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7173/6745000247_1320bc49f6_b.jpg

littleguns223
January 27, 2012, 08:28 AM
I use the the 650 and the 550. They are great machines. The people at dillon are great. If you have any problems just call them and they will fix it. I have used the 550 for years.About six months ago I purshased the 650. It is great when you get it fined tuned you can crank out some ammo. Have fun and be safe.

Kingcreek
January 27, 2012, 11:28 AM
I built my bench to the right height before they came out with the strong mount. Someday I'm gonna rebuild the bench and get a mount but the darn bench is an L shape 8'x6' and one length is lagged into concrete, the other into a stud wall.

MoreIsLess
January 27, 2012, 01:21 PM

Good thing the bench is 1 1/2" hard ply screwed down, lagged into the wall also.
I saw your picture of your 550B along with your LCT. It caught my eye because I had an LCT as well but I sold it to get the 550. If I had it to do again, I would have kept the LCT and used it for a back up to the 550 as I didn't get enough for it. I noticed from your picture and my own experience that the LCT sets partially below the level of the bench and the Dillon sets entirely on top of the bench, hopefully that won't be a problem for me since I was used to the operating the Lee. Do you have a strong mount for yours, can't tell from the picture?

dmazur
January 27, 2012, 02:47 PM
I'll jump in, though I wasn't asked -

The black sheet metal affair (with the Dillon logo on the side) is the strong mount.

The various pictures that have been posted show different views. As far as I can tell, every picture so far has shown the press on a strong mount, including GT1's.

zhd
January 27, 2012, 03:07 PM
What is the "Dillon Lean"???? Refering to getting the strong mount.

GT1
January 27, 2012, 03:34 PM
My press is a XL 650 and it has the shorter strong mount that is specific to the 650(the regular strong mount that fits the 550/650 is a couple inches taller.)

I have an aftermarket handle on the LCT(inlinefabrication) where the handle grip ends up being quite a bit higher relative to the press. Easy on the back and essentially feels like the press is much higher.

Note the handle level of both presses. The 650 actually feels a bit lower when pulling through.

Everyone being different, you have to adjust to what you like. I would not have hesitated to stack spacers under the bench(Or start cutting on bench legs) or a spacing up a press to make it feel right.

Kevin Rohrer
January 27, 2012, 06:28 PM
What is the "Dillon Lean"????

When you are standing or sitting on a high stool at the press w/o the Strong Mount, many people (including me) have to bend slightly to finish the downstroke on the handle. With the Strong Mount the press sets 8.5" higher and you can use the press w/o having to bend over.

PlusP
January 27, 2012, 06:57 PM
Good choice , I've been happy with mine....

January 28, 2012, 05:14 PM
I was planning to purchase a Dillon 550B when I came across a deal on a Dillon Square Deal press. I have emailed Dillon a few times for replacement parts and they were sent for free of course and all the information is online for most questions I may have. I have loaded many rounds with my Dillon presses and would like to offer some advice. First, take your time to set it up and double check and everything should be fine. I add my primers last after all of my checks are done to ensure none have popped out and jam the linkage. If there are any problems with the ammo or press, it is probably YOUR fault. That is the time to get up, walk away, come back after a glass of water or something. The Dillon presses are high quality machines that are smarter than I thought and more times that not I was the cause of errors. That being said, I make great ammo on Dillon equipment...FAST. The powder measure is great too. I think you will enjoy the versatility of the 550B. Good luck.

joed
January 28, 2012, 06:16 PM
You did OK, that press will give you many years of use. I've owned Dillons for the past 10 years. Started with a 550, bought a used 1050, sold the 550 and bought a 650. Never a problem with any of them, but there are some things you will learn along the way.

MoreIsLess
January 28, 2012, 07:34 PM
SWEET man. You made a GOOD choice. I love my 550B after debating with myself and considering the 650 I finally opted for the 550B and do not regret it one bit. YOU WILL LOVE IT. I use the Strong mount which really stabilizes everything on the bench.

If you grow into reloading and end up shooting over 4000 rounds of one caliber per month then you can save up and add the 650 but for all around reloading of many different calibers, the Dillon 550B is the best choice. That is my unbiased opinion.

Welcome to the Blue Haze club.

Since you have both the Lee Classic Turret and the 550B, I'll ask you, how much heavier is the Dillon than the Lee. Hopefully, I won't end up having to get a new reloading bench for it,

GT1
January 29, 2012, 01:32 AM
It isn't so much the weight of the press as the wobble in your bench. Less is better.

A progressive press has a lot of things going on at the same time and wobbles and jiggles tend to unsettle things, like flipping primers sideways or upside down, bouncing shells in the plate so they don't line up as well as they could, leading to crushing things.

Dillon recommends at least an inch of ply if that is what you have, similarly strong hardwood, and secured to a wall/weighed down heavily.

I did all three, my bench is small(20"x40") but the top is 1 1/2 inch ply made of two sheets of 3/4 birch glued and screwed, and the frame is lag screwed into a wall stud. With 300lbs of bullets and ammo on the lower bench shelves I'm not getting much jiggle.

MoreIsLess
January 29, 2012, 09:34 AM

Would you happen to remember what size bolts (e.g. #10 1", #6 2") it takes to bolt it down. I'm not talking about the strong mount, I didn't order one, although I might get one. I'm referrring to bolting the base down to the bench.

My 550B is supposed to be here next Tuesday and I thought I'd ge the bolts ahead of time so I can get started as soon as I get home from work instead of having to run to the hardware store. I have some left over ones from my Lee but they may not be the same size.

GT1
January 29, 2012, 12:16 PM
1/4 inch bolts(Same as I used on the Lee), the press base is 3/4" thick on the 650.

Damon555
January 29, 2012, 02:26 PM
Would you happen to remember what size bolts (e.g. #10 1", #6 2") it takes to bolt it down. I'm not talking about the strong mount, I didn't order one, although I might get one. I'm referrring to bolting the base down to the bench.

My 550B is supposed to be here next Tuesday and I thought I'd ge the bolts ahead of time so I can get started as soon as I get home from work instead of having to run to the hardware store. I have some left over ones from my Lee but they may not be the same size.
If your bench is the right height you won't need the strong mount.

MoreIsLess
January 29, 2012, 03:22 PM
1/4 inch bolts(Same as I used on the Lee), the press base is 3/4" thick on the 650.
I was thinking you had a 550. Oh well, I figure the same bolts probably fit the 550 as the 650 or pretty close.

fehhkk
January 31, 2012, 08:44 PM
I really want a Dillon 550b, but i have all Lee dies... I wonder if this is a problem

Damon555
January 31, 2012, 08:49 PM
I really want a Dillon 550b, but i have all Lee dies... I wonder if this is a problem
What makes you think Lee dies would be a problem? Trust me, they work just fine....

apachejack
February 1, 2012, 02:16 PM
I have had my 550 for a few years now and have put out thousands of rounds of ammo. I just bought the case feeder for it and haven't put it on yet. I have been told that it will speed up my output by 50%. I know it works well on my sl900. You have made a great purchase and you will enjoy it for many years. I still use my rock chucker for a lot of my rifle loads though. Just can't make myself get away from it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Finally took the plunge with Dillon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!