So, the IMI Tavor is coming. Who is interested?

PDA

RX-178
January 25, 2012, 11:35 PM
I know for the longest time, a lot of people all over the internet, even here on THR have wanted a version of the IWI Tavor to hit the American market.

Well, apparently, now it's actually going to happen, in a fully US-made non-imported configuration.

So, now that it's happening... who is still interested in getting one?

Why or why not?

If you enjoyed reading about "So, the IMI Tavor is coming. Who is interested?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ugaarguy
January 25, 2012, 11:36 PM
Details man, details. You have a link?

RX-178
January 25, 2012, 11:42 PM
http://blip.tv/altac6/altac-at-shot-2012-day-3-final-5899881

It's somewhere here, in my vlog... around 02:05 into it, pretty early.

Michael Kassnar has brought Charles Daly back from the dead to bring the Tavor to the market.

It's going to be manufactured in the USA, instead of imported (no 922r issues). It's not going to be a clone, it's going to be the actual IWI Tavor, manufactured in the USA. Apparently it's very easy to set up because the Tavor itself uses a lot of components sourced from the USA.

Gtscotty
January 25, 2012, 11:56 PM
I'm definitely interested in a US made Tavor BUT..... I'd bet money that the Tavor is going to be priced somewhere north of $1,500.... and I'm just too damn cheap to shell out that many clams when there are $800 AR's knocking each other off gun store racks pretty much wherever you look. I'm all for someone bringing a good US made 5.56 bullpup to the market, but the current glut of very reasonably priced AR's is going to make for some cut throat competition for any new product trying to break into the tactical rifle market.

Art Eatman
January 25, 2012, 11:59 PM
Looks like an okay range toy. Not much real-world use, though, seems to me. Just another para-military look-alike.

Z-Michigan
January 26, 2012, 12:00 AM
Very interested depending on price. And I would guess $1500+ but I would still be tempted, though past $2000 I probably would lose interest.

Let's not jinx it though. A US-market Tavor has been promised several times before.

armoredman
January 26, 2012, 12:08 AM
Wouldn't mind, would love to try one, but if the price tag is too high, it sits on the shelf.

Fishbed77
January 26, 2012, 12:49 AM
Too many other expensive rifles on my wishlist (SCAR, SR-25, M1A) to consider a Tavor.

Cal-gun Fan
January 26, 2012, 12:51 AM
TBH, it seems like a toy. It has no REAL uses for any civilian other than that. Its not a hunting rifle, its not a target rifle, and there are better rifles for competition.

benzy2
January 26, 2012, 04:37 AM
I will not be buying one. I have a lot of other interests before that reaches anywhere near the top, let alone at the price these novelty guns tend to bring. I'll take a decent AR and a few cases of ammo instead.

briansmithwins
January 26, 2012, 07:49 AM
The Tavor, if made like the IDF version, could get me back into shooting 5.56.

The Tavor looks like plastic junk, but the plastic bits are just the shell. Inside the shell is a gun frame made from steel stampings that take all the actual loads. The steel frame also includes the optics mount, so there isn't a POI shift if the outer shell flexes.

BSW

RX-178
January 26, 2012, 07:58 AM
So far it seems to me...

4 people interested (3 out of the 4 noting that price will be an issue)

4 people not interested.

:D

tarosean
January 26, 2012, 08:09 AM
seeing several of them in person they are better looking than the FS2000...

AethelstanAegen
January 26, 2012, 08:56 AM
I'd be interested and I'm not usually a bullpup fan...I could see myself making this the one token bullpup in the collection. Though, as others have mentioned, the price would certainly be a major factor in when or if I picked one up as I still have a number of rifles on the list first.

benEzra
January 26, 2012, 09:07 AM
I'm interested, but probably can't fit one into my financial priorities in the near term. It looks like a neat design, though.

TBH, it seems like a toy. It has no REAL uses for any civilian other than that. Its not a hunting rifle, its not a target rifle, and there are better rifles for competition.
It seems to me that it fits exactly the same role as the Ruger mini-14 or a Kel-Tec SU-16, e.g. an expensive plinker that can also serve for HD in lieu of a 12-gauge. And HD standby *is* a civilian use, more common than hunting and target competition combined.

armoredman
January 26, 2012, 10:00 AM
Who's building it, and when will it be available to see/get MSRP?

RX-178
January 26, 2012, 10:11 AM
As Michael Kassnar said in the video I linked, it's going to be built by IWI in a facility in the USA, and then marketed by Trans World Arms (the resurrected Charles Daly).

It was too early to get an MSRP, but he had a sample of the rifle at the SHOT Show already, which I got to examine and handle.

dogmush
January 26, 2012, 12:30 PM
It's interesting, but would really depend on the price.

Rifleman 173
January 26, 2012, 12:36 PM
Will they make one in 6.8 SPC? I am about to start getting away from the .223/5.56 ammo for primary firearms. If they do make one in 6.8 SPC, I would be very interested in getting a Tavor.

fatcat4620
January 26, 2012, 12:43 PM
I would rather have the AR15 bullpup kit I have heard about.

highlander 5
January 26, 2012, 12:50 PM
Price is the biggest factor and my livong in Ma probably won't see one for sale here.

303tom
January 26, 2012, 01:07 PM
NO, I don`t plan on assaulting any place right off hand, & too much money when there are more interesting guns out there.

Rather have a PMR-30......

rbernie
January 26, 2012, 01:12 PM
If they do make one in 6.8 SPC, I would be very interested in getting a Tavor. This.

I hunt on foot with AR pattern rifles, and hunting is one of the activities in which a bullpup's traditional weaknesses (e.g. slow mag changes) don't really matter much and its advantages (e,g, compactness) would really be valued. If the balance is right, the trigger isn't too bad, and the chambering is useful for field work - I'd be all in.

JustinJ
January 26, 2012, 01:24 PM
I don't see how this rifle would be any less useful to a civilian than an AR, AK, SCAR, etc. In fact, i consider a bullpup to be far more ideal for home defense than traditional military style rifles due to it's reduced length. One can SBR an AR but then velocity is lost and there are valid concerns to using an NFA item for home defense.

Anyways, i don't know enough about them but would certainly be interested. The only reason i haven't bought an A3 Aug is questions of parts availability. I love my MSAR but same problem of parts.

Does anybody have a link that details how the Tavor operates?

c0nspire
January 26, 2012, 01:29 PM
I'll be looking into purchasing one as long as the price is below $2000.

JFrame
January 26, 2012, 01:51 PM
As I have no 5.56mm semiauto rifle or carbine to speak of, put me down as "interested"...

Nuclear
January 26, 2012, 04:42 PM
Interested pending price and how good/bad the trigger pull.

Strykervet
January 26, 2012, 05:06 PM
They issue this? I've only ever seen them use M4 and M16's and FALs, but I remember those Israeli AK's from the news as a kid. I met an ex Israeli soldier (aren't they all?) and he said they always envied our gear, especially our NOD's and add ons. This was a couple of years ago.

I'll stick with the M4. Not because anything is wrong with that rifle, I'm sure it is a good one considering where it comes from, just that I've got too much time behind an M4 to change now, and I trust it.

Googleplex
January 26, 2012, 05:10 PM
Put me as interested. I won't buy any time soon, but one will end on my wishlist. 'Bout as necesarry as an AK, so practicality is a moot argument to me. It'd be fun to shoot.

Cal-gun Fan
January 26, 2012, 08:06 PM
I'm interested, but probably can't fit one into my financial priorities in the near term. It looks like a neat design, though.

It seems to me that it fits exactly the same role as the Ruger mini-14 or a Kel-Tec SU-16, e.g. an expensive plinker that can also serve for HD in lieu of a 12-gauge. And HD standby *is* a civilian use, more common than hunting and target competition combined.

I'm not an adult so I can't really speak too much as to home defence, but would you really want to use a gun that costs that much (Lets say upwards of $1500, very fair considering similar gun prices) for HD? It might be suited to it, but you are going to lose that gun indefinitely while the investigation/law process/etc goes on and there is no guarantee as to how it will be handled in that time.

The Kel-Tec SU-16 and Mini-14 can't be compared to it due to their prices. Mini's can be found used for $500 or so and new for $700, which isn't too expensive. Not sure what the SU-16s are, I'm guessing around $400.

68wj
January 26, 2012, 08:19 PM
Will they make one in 6.8 SPC? I am about to start getting away from the .223/5.56 ammo for primary firearms. If they do make one in 6.8 SPC, I would be very interested in getting a Tavor.
Great question! Even if not a factory option, I wonder how the bolt and barrel compare to an AR and if they could be swapped easily with existing components.

RX-178
January 26, 2012, 09:37 PM
More likely to see it in .300 blackout first (which is basically a fancy new 7.62x39, ballistically). No need to change the bolt to convert a .223 to a .300 blk

briansmithwins
January 26, 2012, 10:16 PM
would you really want to use a gun that costs that much (Lets say upwards of $1500, very fair considering similar gun prices) for HD?

You shoot somebody that $1500 is going to be the least of your expenses.

BSW

Cal-gun Fan
January 26, 2012, 10:30 PM
would you really want to use a gun that costs that much (Lets say upwards of $1500, very fair considering similar gun prices) for HD?

You shoot somebody that $1500 is going to be the least of your expenses.

BSW
True, but still, I'd rather lose a cheap Kel-Tec or a $300 pump gun than a $1500 (Which I think is hoping for a bit too much, more likely $2000) gun.

benzy2
January 26, 2012, 11:11 PM
I don't see the appeal from a hunting point of view brought up earlier. I don't see much benefit, especially for the price. I haven't seen a medium to large game situation where a semi auto is much benefit. If you miss the first shot I haven't seen many opportunities that a semi still gives you a good follow up that a bolt also wouldn't work as well.

In the small game setting, maybe, but typically the high volume shooting/hunting I've seen is one where mobility is of little value. I'm sure someone has a situation where it would be an advantage hunting but I haven't seen one that would really justify spending more than $1000 or so for it. For fun, sure, buy what you like. But if we are talking about a useful purpose I have troubles spending even as much as a decent AR since it's so easy to get replacements/accessories for the AR.

-v-
January 27, 2012, 12:13 AM
I'm definitely interested, as long as its at or below $1500.

Girodin
January 27, 2012, 12:24 AM
I'm interested. I like bullpups. I will be waiting to see how well the execute the design and what price point it comes in at. I think it will need to come in below 1500 to be very competitive. I'll be interested in comparing ti to the other bullpups on the market.

It is not a need to own gun but if it is well made and the price is right, its definitely something I would seriously consider buying.

dprice3844444
January 27, 2012, 12:35 AM
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/02/09/gepard-gm6-lynx-50-caliber-rifle/

this is more fun

wally
January 27, 2012, 11:34 AM
I'm with Girodin, Would be very hard to resist at under $1500, impossible at under $1200

Gonna have competition from the USA made AUG, we can hope for a price war! :)

padkeemow
January 27, 2012, 12:26 PM
Great question! Even if not a factory option, I wonder how the bolt and barrel compare to an AR and if they could be swapped easily with existing components.

http://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1208280&postcount=28

Granted, that's for 9mm, but it sounds like switching calibers is not trivial.

nwilliams
January 27, 2012, 03:21 PM
If it's under $2,000 then I will definitely be buying one! It's on my dream gun list for a long time.

Gonna have competition from the USA made AUG, we can hope for a price war!
There is no USA made Aug anymore, MSAR went bankrupt.

bomberbill357
January 27, 2012, 04:06 PM
Gee, another new Israeli made rifle! And Gee, they still use our old Colt Commandos and M4s! Gee if the M4s are still good enough for the IDF, they're good enough for me! If they're made here in the states and they're mostly plastic and stamped steel, wouldn't be interested in one priced over $500.00. I looked at one at the ShotShow, they all look good till you have to reload them in a hurry. Why do I need to reload in a hurry??? Because that's the way reloads are done!

padkeemow
January 27, 2012, 04:20 PM
Gee, another new Israeli made rifle! And Gee, they still use our old Colt Commandos and M4s! Gee if the M4s are still good enough for the IDF, they're good enough for me!
You do know the Tavor replaced the M4/M16 with the IDF, right?

bomberbill357
January 27, 2012, 04:30 PM
Just like the Galill replaced the M4/M16. Any IDF unit that had the Galill's wanted M16s. IDF unit issued the Tavors will wish they had M4s. Also I believe their high speed folks are staying with their M4s. Don't sell the M4/M16s short. The Israelis don't. So officially they may have, but....we make some good stuff, and they recognize it.

JFrame
January 27, 2012, 05:12 PM
I looked at one at the ShotShow, they all look good till you have to reload them in a hurry. Why do I need to reload in a hurry??? Because that's the way reloads are done!

Just a question, Bomber, since you've actually had the opportunity for a look-and-feel...What is it particularly about Tavor that makes the reload so slow? :confused:

gunnutery
January 27, 2012, 06:13 PM
So, the IMI Tavor is coming. Who is interested?

Count me in (as long as it's affordable).

AethelstanAegen
January 27, 2012, 06:27 PM
IDF unit issued the Tavors will wish they had M4s.

Since you can clearly read the future, what's tomorrow's winning lottery ticket? I don't think they've seen this behavior you're describing much but it's still a pretty new rifle. Of the bullpup designs, it certainly beats out the original British L85s (I've yet to see an IDF soldier having to tape their Tavor together). In general, when the Israelis decide to issue something to their troops it's worth taking a look at...they certainly wouldn't change rifles frivolously as a lot rides on the success of those rifles in combat.

gunnutery
January 27, 2012, 06:33 PM
RX-178, I forgot to thank you for your vlogs during the SHOT show. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

armoredman
January 27, 2012, 07:01 PM
I'm with dprice, I want that Gepard long recoil 50 cal rifle...a 50 BMG rifle you can fire from a standing position? Wow.
As for the Tavor, we'll see. If the price is competitive, we'll see. Many of us down here can't drop $1500 on a rifle.

Gtscotty
January 27, 2012, 07:27 PM
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...caliber-rifle/

this is more fun

My god.... that's awesome, I can't believe I haven't heard about that before, I wonder what one of those runs? Probably creeping up past $10k If I had to guess.

FuzzyBunny
January 27, 2012, 07:43 PM
$500 for one or 5 for $2,000 and I'll go for a few.

briansmithwins
January 27, 2012, 10:57 PM
$500 for one or 5 for $2,000 and I'll go for a few

Seeing how $500 will barely get you a AK made from surplus parts I suspect you're going to be dissapointed.

BSW

Girodin
January 27, 2012, 11:09 PM
There is no USA made Aug anymore, MSAR went bankrupt.

I think they are referring to the reports that Steyr will be making an AUG here.

230therapy
January 27, 2012, 11:14 PM
Not really. I'll probably have to try one out first. I'll know in 500 rounds or so.

Kurt_D
January 28, 2012, 02:56 AM
Sorry, the ARX-160 completely has my attention as my next expensive (>$1000) EBR unless Beretta manages to screw it up some how; like a >$2000 price tag or butthole stock ala CX4, etc. *I seriously think this gun has a very good chance of coming in with a MSRP under $2000 since it was adopted a few years ago as Italy's service weapon and is in full-on production with R&D and tooling already paid for by the Italian .gov. Plus Beretta USA has the foot hold for importation and production of US parts.*

The AUG A3 w/ optional NATO stock is probably next up as a replacement for my E4; unless a quality some body picks up the MSAR platform. My big question is what does the Tavor offer the AUG A3 doesn't? 1) A3 can take m16 mags with the NATO stock 2) both have rails for optics 3)either can go left handed with a bolt swap 4) AUG parts can be found here now, we won't know about the Tavor for a while even though rumor has it parts are made here anyway 5) AUG has quick swap barrels or at least easy, tooless removal for cleaning; the Tavor? 6) ??? I mean I can be sold on the Tavor if someone can give me a reason; especially if the price is <$1500 but I suspect a lot of people will be disappointed when the price tag is SCAR/ACR-like.

thump_rrr
January 28, 2012, 07:26 AM
I've shot the Tavor on 2 occasions at my local indoor range.
It is slower to reload due to the magazine location aft of the grip.
It shoots very well but for the price they sell for here I can build myself a nice precision rifle.

In Canada the Israeli Tavor sells for over $3,000.
To put this in comparison with something everyone here can relate to a basic Bushmaster AR-15 starts at around $1,400.
We can also purchase Chinese made Norinco AR-15 M4 style for $649.00 which include hammer forged chrome lined barrels and are surprisingly reliable.
Our prices are high due to a much smaller market than that of the USA and also all of the US export permits required for products made in the USA.

In Canada an AR-15 is categorized as a restricted firearm meaning it can only be used at a range so no hunting or backyard plinking allowed.
On the other hand a Tavor with an 18"+ barrel and OAL of 26"+ is non restricted and can be used for hunting or back yard plinking making it much more useful.

If I could get one here for under $2,000 I probably would just to have a non restricted semi-auto rifle besides my SKS.

briansmithwins
January 28, 2012, 07:50 AM
So, since Bushmasters sell for around $700 in my area a Tavor for $1500 might happen.

The mag in the armpit is a typical problem with every bullpup I've seen except for the P90. You take the trade off in mag placement for shoehorning a longer barrel into a shorter OAL.

TANSSAAFL

BSW

JShirley
January 28, 2012, 08:15 AM
we make some good stuff, and they recognize it

Unless something has changed, the US gives the Israelis millions every year...which must be used to buy US military gear.

thump_rrr
January 28, 2012, 06:07 PM
Unless something has changed, the US gives the Israelis Billions every year...which must be used to buy US military gear
I fixed it for you.

To be more precise nearly 2.4 billion a year.

JShirley
January 29, 2012, 08:31 AM
Thank you! Didn't want to overstate.

TCBPATRIOT
January 30, 2012, 02:07 PM
The Galill is still in the inventory throughout the IDF as well as Colt Commandos and other rifles based off of Stoner's design It is mainly based on the role of the unit just like in the Marine Corps when some support units still have M-16A2s. As far as the high speed guys they have their own Tavor with shorter and heavier barrels. The Tavor in my opinion is a great rifle to shoot I got the chance to shoot it a bit while doing some training with the IDF on my last deployment. It was a joy to shoot I will ensure there is a spot for it in my safe right next to my AR just like the armory in the IDF.

Greenmachin3
January 30, 2012, 02:51 PM
I'm interested... very interested.

Since I'm not in the military, any military style rifle such as the M1A, ar-15, or AK etc. are just toys. Much like my project car, there is little practical use. The project car only sees use at the track and my "tactical" rifles only see use at the range. Unless the world comes crashing down, I want a Tavor for the fun of it, the eccentricity of it, and the experience of ownership. Is there better for less? Yep. But its not about that for me, and its probably the same for most interested in the gun.

hardluk1
January 30, 2012, 05:46 PM
Been for sale in canada for several years and showed in 2002 shot show. Looks like there finally try'n to makea go here. Seems a couple years late.

C'Thulhu
February 15, 2012, 02:40 AM
I'd be interested, but I've heard the same tune for a few years now.

kozak6
February 15, 2012, 03:44 AM
I don't care.

I don't have $1500-3000 for such a thing.

Bob01
February 19, 2012, 07:19 PM
I am also looking forward to seeing the Tavor 21 arrive...

Not sure how politics play in firearms pricing for a country's military, but here is a quick synopsis on the pricing history (according to wikipedia)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMI_Tavor_TAR-21

2001 - Georgia - 7,000 Rifles (several variants including grenade launchers) ~ 65 Million USD = $9,285 each
2002 - India - 3,070 Rifles for ~ 17.7 Million USD = $5,765 each
2008 - Thailand - 13,868 Rifles (third batch) for ~27.77 Million USD = $2002 each

I am sure there is a pricing variance depending on how each country got their Tavors equipped - Looking at pricing and the timeline - seems like they may be getting cheaper as time progresses. However, these are prices based on large orders, so my guess is when they do arrive they'll probably be very similar in price to what the Canadians pay for theirs (~$3,000)... but then again never know...maybe the plant in the U.S. will get major subsidies and bring the pricing to PS90 level or lower.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
February 19, 2012, 10:11 PM
If they're for a reasonable price (to me that's in the ballpark of 1000), I'd buy one.

AethelstanAegen
February 20, 2012, 06:56 PM
Not sure how politics play in firearms pricing for a country's military, but here is a quick synopsis on the pricing history (according to wikipedia)

These are prices for actual (ie happy switch enabled) Tavor rifles supplied to equip military units and are generally agreements between the two governments. I don't think it'll give us much of an idea for what the semi-auto commercial version will go for when it gets to the US. Maybe a better estimate is based off what they go for on the Canadian commercial market...but still that's only a rough estimate.

briansmithwins
February 20, 2012, 08:29 PM
Govt sales also include training, spare parts and other support, all of which can inflate the unit price of the weapon.

BSW

nathan
February 20, 2012, 08:57 PM
That be nice they are coming to sell to the civilian market. Israeli guns always hold a mystic that started from the UZI and the Seven Day War of 1967. We hope it will hold true to its predecessor the UZI.

Robert
February 20, 2012, 09:01 PM
Yeah, no. Not at all interested in Bull Pups.

nathan
February 20, 2012, 09:06 PM
Many rich folks love the Israeli mystic. Some of them smuggled into Taiwan

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/local/kaohsiung/2009/09/27/226344/Gun-smuggling.htm

nathan
February 20, 2012, 09:10 PM
The Philippine Maritime Police are one of those units armed with Tavors. If you want to look cool, tavors the way to go.

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/8687/dsc00235d.png

Dmitri Popov
February 20, 2012, 09:13 PM
I have a huge interest in Bull-Pup weapons. I am very interested in these rifles, however I know I won't be able to afford one, pretty much ever.

nathan
February 20, 2012, 09:22 PM
Israel's close ally India arming their elite troops with the Tavor.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/24/India_Para.jpg/800px-India_Para.jpg

12gaugeTim
February 20, 2012, 09:28 PM
Couldn't you get one of these in the US anyways, just like you would a DSR-1? Buy it across the Canadian border and do an obscene amount of paperwork. If anybody knows how much these go for in Canada, you're my new best friend.
But following the pattern of these other uncommon modern rifles (SCAR, ACR, FS2000) I expect the price point to be ~$2200 or higher..

R.W.Dale
February 20, 2012, 09:41 PM
This.

I hunt on foot with AR pattern rifles, and hunting is one of the activities in which a bullpup's traditional weaknesses (e.g. slow mag changes) don't really matter much and its advantages (e,g, compactness) would really be valued. If the balance is right, the trigger isn't too bad, and the chambering is useful for field work - I'd be all in.

THIS

I recently traded for the black sheep of the bullpup world a CAI 1975 sporter. And even at this low end of the quality scale its superiority as a "brush gun" was glaringly evident..

posted via tapatalk using android.

briansmithwins
February 20, 2012, 11:11 PM
Israel's close ally India arming their elite troops with the Tavor.

Considering the INSAS has turned out to be a turd that's not surprising.

Unfortunately for the Indian Army no matter how good the design is the rifle is still made in India by Army Ordnance.

BSW

Bo Heck
February 21, 2012, 02:28 PM
This is definitely on my short list. I just picked up an MSAR STG and love the bullpup configuration. The FS2000 just doesnt do it for me, too...round. Will still get one someday probably but will get a Tavor first.

Redbearded1
February 24, 2012, 02:52 AM
Couldn't you get one of these in the US anyways, just like you would a DSR-1? Buy it across the Canadian border and do an obscene amount of paperwork. If anybody knows how much these go for in Canada, you're my new best friend.
But following the pattern of these other uncommon modern rifles (SCAR, ACR, FS2000) I expect the price point to be ~$2200 or higher..
I just saw one today. 2700 bucks for the version i saw with flip up iron sights. More than a tad pricey but I live a ways up north where things get expensive.

bob barker
February 24, 2012, 07:24 PM
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/02/09/gepard-gm6-lynx-50-caliber-rifle/

this is more fun
That gun looks incredible!! How much fun would that be to go prairie dog shooting!

samuelcmm
February 24, 2012, 08:35 PM
I would definitely be interested in buying one as long as the price is under 2300. Ive wanted one of these since i saw them early last year.

TexasPatriot.308
February 25, 2012, 10:38 AM
I aint interested in em at all.

12gaugeTim
February 27, 2012, 06:29 PM
I just saw one today. 2700 bucks for the version i saw with flip up iron sights. More than a tad pricey but I live a ways up north where things get expensive.

Are you in Canada or was the rifle you mentioned one that had been brought across the border? And I'm guessing that 2700 is USD.

JFrame
February 27, 2012, 06:45 PM
Hmmm...At the prices being tossed around, I may be back to thinkin' about a Mini-14 or a Colt AR...

Rats...

C'Thulhu
February 27, 2012, 11:58 PM
If it's $2000+ I"ll stick with my FS2000.

Ringolevio
February 28, 2012, 01:33 AM
nathan:
Israeli guns always hold a mystic that started from the UZI and the Seven Day War of 1967. We hope it will hold true to its predecessor the UZI.

Uzis have their place, and their mystique. But in 1967's Six Day War, IIRC most Israeli soldiers were armed with FALs.

Redbearded1
March 24, 2012, 03:20 PM
I'm in Canada. The price was in Canadian dollars. But our dollar is close enough that it doesn't matter much these days. The cost of guns up here is usually the same as the msrp listed on American websites anyways

atblis
March 24, 2012, 06:19 PM
I like all guns, but when I see the prices on some of the these mil grade tupperware guns, I laugh at the those who lust after them like they're something new and amazing, pack my AR15s in my car, and go to the range. They aren't more accurate than a high grade AR15. Maybe equal at best.

R.W.Dale
March 24, 2012, 07:09 PM
I like all guns, but when I see the prices on some of the these mil grade tupperware guns, I laugh at the those who lust after them like they're something new and amazing, pack my AR15s in my car, and go to the range. They aren't more accurate than a high grade AR15. Maybe equal at best.

If you haven't handled or used a bullpup you simply cannot grasp what the concept has to offer

posted via mobile device.

atblis
March 24, 2012, 07:29 PM
I am perfectly aware of what a bull-pup is, and also the advantages and disadvantages. I don't think it will help the 99% when shooting at their Tannerite infused zombie targets.

R.W.Dale
March 24, 2012, 07:37 PM
I am perfectly aware of what a bull-pup is, and also the advantages and disadvantages. I don't think it will help the 99% when shooting at their Tannerite infused zombie targets.

And for those people the ar 15 you mention doesn't do anything a 10-22 doesn't. For me the sheer compact handiness of a bullpup is very foremost for hunting on foot as a "brush gun". Others may have different reasons for the layout.

Like you I understood the concept from an acedemic standpoint. But not till I handled one and started shooting at things w it did I have that lightbulb moment

posted via mobile device.

Cal-gun Fan
March 24, 2012, 09:05 PM
Ehh, I think its more a personal preference than anything. I've shot the FS2000 and held other bullpups. None of them really felt that much better to me than a normal AK, hunting rifle, or AR. I liked them, but they had their drawbacks too.

68wj
March 24, 2012, 09:08 PM
I think that is too broad a brush. That is coming from someone who has handled a few bullpups (.mil version) and still prefer something else. Nothing is for everyone.

B!ngo
March 24, 2012, 09:16 PM
I'm soooo in. I'd prefer a bullpup to a regular carbine any day, so long as it's high quality and ambi- (rather than just left-handed) which the Israeli Tavor is supposed to be. If it's shy of $2k, I'm placing my order even if I have to sell one of my favorites to pay for it.

mr.trooper
March 24, 2012, 09:48 PM
Not really interested. It looks cool, but there are already tons of neat & expensive 5.56 carbines on the market.

briansmithwins
March 24, 2012, 09:53 PM
I was looking at either a FS2000 or Sig 556 since the Tavor isn't available in the US yet.

One strike against the Tavor is it's either right or left handed. It can be switched over but requires the ejection port plug to be moved and a left handed bolt installed. If you have some cover that requires you to shoot left handed you ain't going to do that with a Tavor.

BSW

12gaugeTim
March 26, 2012, 10:35 PM
I'm in Canada. The price was in Canadian dollars. But our dollar is close enough that it doesn't matter much these days. The cost of guns up here is usually the same as the msrp listed on American websites anyways
Well that's the Maximum suggested retail. They may have cost that much on their release but usually sell hundreds below that in the store. I'd predict $2200-2450 in US markets if the trend you stated about msrp is correct (2 years after release).

Beentown
March 27, 2012, 11:55 AM
Interested. I would have a hard time choosing between a Tavor or SBR'ed AR.

ultradoc
March 27, 2012, 12:15 PM
Those guys are hilarius. Wonder if it's an act or not. I was in Israel about 8 months ago and saw the Tavor and M-4's. Pretty cool weapons.

Cesiumsponge
March 27, 2012, 01:14 PM
Couldn't you get one of these in the US anyways, just like you would a DSR-1? Buy it across the Canadian border and do an obscene amount of paperwork. If anybody knows how much these go for in Canada, you're my new best friend. But following the pattern of these other uncommon modern rifles (SCAR, ACR, FS2000) I expect the price point to be ~$2200 or higher..

If you are interested in the DSR-1, you can buy a quick-caliber change precision bullpup from a company where the owner, who owns one of the few DSRs floating around, designed an improved US-made version for half the price. Desert Tactical Arms puts out a fantastic product. Check out the precision rifle forums for praises from owners.

TWA
March 30, 2012, 06:00 PM
For those attending the NRA Show in St. Louis, MO, April 13-15, the Tavor SA will be on display in the Navy Arms booth #2304. Val Forgett of Navy Arms has been kind enough to allow us to share his booth space. Stop by and see us if you get the chance!

padkeemow
March 30, 2012, 06:20 PM
Any word on pricing? There were rumors floating around that it was going to be near the $3k mark.

dmancornell
March 30, 2012, 06:47 PM
I'd buy one if it were $1800 or less. That's how much I paid for my FS2000 and I still consider that a reasonable price.

Girodin
March 31, 2012, 01:22 AM
If you have some cover that requires you to shoot left handed you ain't going to do that with a Tavor.

I can't say if they work with the travor but with an AUG for example one can make use of a few different techniques to fire it left handed.

Also the following video seems to suggest that if one really needs to just rapidly switch shoulders and fire with a right hand eject pullpup they can and it wont be the end of the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy0FlnXCWxQ

TWA
March 31, 2012, 01:07 PM
Any word on pricing? There were rumors floating around that it was going to be near the $3k mark.

We hope to establish a MSRP of $1,999 or less but it hasn't been finalized yet.

bannockburn
March 31, 2012, 09:23 PM
I would be interested in one as I have always had a certain fascination with bull-pup designs. Would definitely be interested in one if the price point can be kept under $2K.

lfruchtman
May 14, 2012, 11:29 PM
Definitely interested. Collector of Israeli firearms.

B!ngo
May 15, 2012, 11:38 PM
I'd be in for sure. Would sell my Stag 3GL to pay for it.

If you enjoyed reading about "So, the IMI Tavor is coming. Who is interested?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!