Vv n-150 m1 m1a ar15

PDA

jr_roosa
January 26, 2012, 05:26 PM
I use VV N-150 with my Garand behind a SMK 175 for slowfire prone. I mainly like that it meters really well, and my Special Grade Garand (new manufacture Criterion barrel, no accuracy mods except trigger) gets about 2moa with it. I haven't been able to match that with 4895 or 4064, but on the other hand I haven't tried really hard either.

I'm tempted to get a 8lb jug, and I almost grabbed one today at Bruno's, but when I do the math, that's about 1,200 rounds, and I'm thinking that I'll be picking up a Match M1A or NM AR for highpower shooting long before I shoot 1,200 rounds at the 600yd line. I suppose I could use it for rapid prone and rapid sitting with a 168 SMK, but the cheapskate in me balks at using pricey powder offhand.

Anyway, does VV N-150 make for a good .308 load with the 175 SMK or 168 SMK in any of your hands? I assume that it is too slow for .223 in an AR even with a heavy bullet, or is it?

Thanks!

-J.

If you enjoyed reading about "Vv n-150 m1 m1a ar15" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Edarnold
January 26, 2012, 07:52 PM
I've used N-140 with the 155gr. A-Max for 200 yd. matches in my M-1A Supermatch, performs very well and leaves the barrel clean after half-a-hundred rounds. I'd think N-150 with the heavier bullets would be a perfect match, the 8th edition Hornaday manual says the same in their section on loads for 7.62 Service rifle.
As far as 'using expensive powder for offhand', you are far more likely to pick up position in a match by better offhand scores, than you are to pick up points in prone or sitting, when everybody is shooting possibles anyway. Get a ten-pound iron-sight .22 target rifle, and spend time learning to shoot offhand really well. Do you a lot more good than worrying about equipment tweaking, and it's more fun too!

EddieNFL
January 27, 2012, 01:08 PM
I know a couple of guys using it for 80s in .223, but I agree, it's too slow. I had good luck with N140, though.

jr_roosa
January 27, 2012, 02:34 PM
Yeah, I'm going to do a head-to-head with I4895 at the 600 and 200 lines and see what the difference really is. 2 pounds will get me through half a year of matches if I'm only using it prone. If it's even a little bit better at 200, I'll just get a ton of it and use it exclusively for my Garand.

I agree about getting a .22 to work on offhand, but in reality I don't have time to shoot my centerfire rifles as much as I'd like. Dryfire practice is the best I can do with my schedule.

I have my eye on the Anschutz MPR 64 for a .22, but it's at #5 or #6 on my Guns to Buy list.

-J.

If you enjoyed reading about "Vv n-150 m1 m1a ar15" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!