How to set and unset the Mosin Nagant rifle safety with ease

PDA

hang fire
January 26, 2012, 09:36 PM
A videographer I am not, and this video proves it.

But I have heard and read so much about how hard it is to use the Mosin Nagant safety. So made this short video about using the Mosin Nagant safety the way I do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4Z1-ucpPMg

If you enjoyed reading about "How to set and unset the Mosin Nagant rifle safety with ease" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rail Driver
January 26, 2012, 09:41 PM
Nice Finn. Personally, I don't use my Mosin for defense, or in situations where having a round in the chamber is important so I have no need of the safety (though I do know how to use it if need be). I simply load 4 rounds, press them down and close the bolt on an empty chamber. When I am ready to fire, I'll chamber a round. If I feel I may need all 5 rounds, I load them and leave the bolt open. Faster to close the bolt than it is to take off the safety on my beast.

Effective tactic though.

Prosser
January 27, 2012, 05:55 AM
It has a safety?:what:

My bolts open, round ready. Slam the bolt, shoot. Putting that safety on, or off reminds me of the come and get me AK safety. Here I am, shoot me...

NCsmitty
January 27, 2012, 08:15 AM
NCsmitty

GoWolfpack
January 27, 2012, 08:31 AM
I'm with Rail Driver. I load on in the firing position, then shoot 'til it's empty. I've never used the safety on a Mosin.

MyGreenGuns
January 27, 2012, 08:42 AM
I've never had a problem with the safety. But, I never leave rounds in this weapon either. Moot point for me.

I like your shirt HangFire!

Smitty thats a good idea. If it were to break over a live round would it fire? :confused:

fatcat4620
January 27, 2012, 10:15 AM
I always thought using the safety was more dangerous than not.

Dr T
January 27, 2012, 11:22 AM
All kidding aside, thanks for the demonstration. I have found the safeties on my M39 (1898 receiver) and M91/30 (1927 receiver) much easier to take off (using only a flick of my thumb) than put on. I will have to try this.

If you enjoyed reading about "How to set and unset the Mosin Nagant rifle safety with ease" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!