What's your method for disposal of used tumbling media?

PDA

ric426
January 26, 2012, 10:47 PM
I've searched for the answer to this, I really have.
I'm also not trying to rekindle the perpetual "is it safe/unsafe" discussion. I choose to take reasonable steps to minimize potential risks. If you don't, so be it.

Having said that, when do you decide to change your tumbling media and how do you prefer to dispose of the used media?

If you enjoyed reading about "What's your method for disposal of used tumbling media?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cfullgraf
January 26, 2012, 10:55 PM
Like used cat litter, mine goes out with the trash.

rondog
January 26, 2012, 10:55 PM
Tall kitchen trash bag, tie it off, toss it out.

Livnoutdoorsxd9
January 26, 2012, 10:56 PM
Throw it away. What else would you do with it?

parker51
January 26, 2012, 10:57 PM
Goes in a plastic bag with the rest of the trash. I'm looking at probably 2lbs every 6 months if that. I plan to switch over to steel media soon and will probably just poor the water down the drain or on the front lawn.

blarby
January 26, 2012, 11:01 PM
"used" is an interesting proposition.

I use two heaps : the dirty heap, and the cleaner heap.

The cleaner heap eventually becomes the dirty heap.

The dirty heap is used to clean field collected cases. The clean heap is used to finish ( dry) ultra-sonic cleaned brass, and then polish them after assembly.

I've never had to throw any of the dirty heap away....it has slowly slipped away a grain at a time, but i've never pitched any except when dumping it for purposes of relocating.....

That bit I had to toss went out with the garbage.

Last I checked, its not hazardous waste. If you were really concerned about the wastes' potential toxicity, any recycling center that takes paint would be able to accept that waste.

1SOW
January 26, 2012, 11:08 PM
Having said that, when do you decide to change your tumbling media and how do you prefer to dispose of the used media?

I pre-clean pistol cases with soap and water followed by corncob media. The media lasts many 1000's of cases. I have way over 20K cases cleaned on hand. I started with 40# of media and have used maybe 12-15#.
I just change media if I see any change in the results or time it takes to get there. I like very shiny.

The tumbler holds about a coffee can/container full, and I put the used media in the trash. The pre-wash liquid is dumped on the ground.

I was raised in Trenton near I-75.;)

Fullboar1
January 26, 2012, 11:25 PM
The clean heap is used to finish ( dry) ultra-sonic cleaned brass, and then polish them after assembly.

So do you Tumble finished loaded ammo? It is not a good habit to get into. With some powders it can break it down causing it to burn faster. Alot of powders like ADI (Hodgdon) are extruded and by cutting it to a certain length that determines it's burning properties (ie: longer = slower, shorter = faster).

1SOW
January 26, 2012, 11:39 PM
So do you Tumble finished loaded ammo? It is not a good habit to get into. With some powders it can break it down causing it to burn faster. Alot of powders like ADI (Hodgdon) are extruded and by cutting it to a certain length that determines it's burning properties (ie: longer = slower, shorter = faster).

This issue repeats about every year.
Numerous testing for both set-back and powder changes have disproved the above statement. Tumbling multiple different rifle and pistol rounds for 24 hours was done by two forum members either last year or late the year before.

Members who have experience with ammo manufacturers say the manufacturers tumble the rounds after they are loaded to clean them up.

Powders are coated and tougher than you might think.

medalguy
January 26, 2012, 11:40 PM
Politely put: bullhockey. This is an old wives' tale that persists around the internet. Here is a link to a very extensive research project done and published on AR15.com forums a while back that totally debunks that premise. It's a long article, but very well researched and thought-out. Definitely worth the read:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/989047_Tumble_live_ammo_Tumbler_Oandapos__thruth_EXTREME_edition__200hour_torture_test__UPDATE__fired_rounds_in_OP.html

Canuck-IL
January 27, 2012, 12:03 AM
Damn good thing that powder doesn't get jostled on the way to stores and consumers ... you know, like bouncing around in semis or UPS trucks.
/Bryan

blarby
January 27, 2012, 12:12 AM
So do you Tumble finished loaded ammo? It is not a good habit to get into.

Yes.

All my ammo disagrees. Its an AWESOME habit.

greyling22
January 27, 2012, 12:20 AM
be careful if you do tumble loaded ammo. It could lure a giant carnivorous worm into your basement to eat you...... ;)

ric426
January 27, 2012, 12:21 AM
Throw it away. What else would you do with it?

Considering all I've read about how nasty the dust from used media is, it practically sounds like toxic waste and I wondered if anyone took extra measures in it's disposal. Seemed like a reasonable question at the time.

So, how did a thread about disposing of used media turn into another debate about tumbling loaded ammo?
FWIW, I don't bother doing it, but that thread on AR15.com seems to indicate that it doesn't have much affect on the powder.

I was raised in Trenton near I-75.

Hi! I'm actually way north of there, half way between Ann Arbor and Flint, but still considered to be SE Michigan.

zxcvbob
January 27, 2012, 12:24 AM
I use it for flux when I'm melting lead or casting bullets.

scott5
January 27, 2012, 12:48 AM
Hello all,
I use my old media to fill my shooting rest bags.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/264776/caldwell-tackdriver-shooting-rest-bag-nylon-green-unfilled

Its a lot lighter than sand, and it sure beats throwing stuff out that still has a use.

blarby
January 27, 2012, 01:26 AM
Quote:
I was raised in Trenton near I-75.
Hi! I'm actually way north of there, half way between Ann Arbor and Flint, but still considered to be SE Michigan.

I was born in Detroit, and resided most of that time within a few miles of the city core !

Ya for Michiganders :)

jcwit
January 27, 2012, 02:33 AM

Totally false!

What do I do with used tumbling media, I put it in sealed cans and discard it when we have has-met cleanup once/twice a year along with the resisdue from smelting range lead and wheel weights.

kelbro
January 27, 2012, 07:28 AM
I throw the old media in the back of the truck and it blows out as I drive down the road. :)

kingmt
January 27, 2012, 10:10 AM
I pour it from container to container out side in a good breeze so the dust & trash blow away. I also throw a damp paper towel in while when it is running. Alot of the junk sticks to the towel then I just throw it in the trash.

Kevin Rohrer
January 27, 2012, 10:11 AM
Err, umm, throw it out w/ the rest of the trash. :rolleyes:

ranger335v
January 27, 2012, 03:46 PM
"Considering all I've read about how nasty the dust from used media is, it practically sounds like toxic waste and I wondered if anyone took extra measures in it's disposal. Seemed like a reasonable question at the time."

Considering 'all you're read' your question is quite reasonable. What the guys are telling you is virtually all you've read is over-hyped BS dreamed up by overly sensitive, 'trust your government' type guys who wish to sound like safety experts and then it gets parroted on the web by Chicken Littles; meaning the comments aren't personal at you.

Toss your old media anyway you wish or scatter it on your lawn for mulch. It's such a low level 'poision' that as a land fill hazard it falls somewhere between old auto brake pads and empty cans of dog food, far below last Christmas' uneaten fruit cake.

So far as 'lead' being poison, of itself, I suppose that may be true but the "powdered" stuff is what gets into our blood stream, not solid lead. I have cast bullets, sinkers and fishing lures since '65 without issue but I have sense enough not to cast under a hood and I don't lick the gray smears off my fingers. Then an uncle of mine was wounded in WW2 and lived with the bullet lodged near his spine, we don't know if that's what got him but he died last November but the poor dude made it to age 92 so it must be a slow acting poison.

XxBulletBendeRXx
January 27, 2012, 04:03 PM
The trash sounds like a good place to store it....

AK_Maine_iac
January 27, 2012, 05:11 PM
I till all of mine into the garden along with any unwanted gunpowder. By the next spring it is all gone.

RustyFN
January 27, 2012, 05:57 PM

Politely put: bullhockey.

Exactly. There are even a couple of guys on this forum that have done testing to prove it false.

I put my wore out media in a plastic bag, tie it up and throw it in the trash.

jcwit
January 27, 2012, 06:31 PM
I till all of mine into the garden along with any unwanted gunpowder. By the next spring it is all gone.

So you're contaminating you garden with lead & then eat the veggies?

OK

No wonder they want to outlaw the use of lead?

JohnM
January 27, 2012, 06:35 PM
I've never really tossed any.
Once in a great while go out if there's a good breeze and pour it between a couple buckets to let the fines and dust blow away, then top up with new and go again.

AK_Maine_iac
January 27, 2012, 07:56 PM
Okay, i only reload maybe 300 rounds per year. Don't think i have enough lead contaminants to worry about. I would sooner worry about what is in the water table from all of the gold mines in the area, Arsenic etc. God knows what kind of run off we get from the local industry, Military Bases, oil refineries all located within six miles of my garden.

Fleet
January 27, 2012, 08:07 PM
I just sprinkle it on the lawn.

ranger335v
January 27, 2012, 08:08 PM
"I would sooner worry about what is in the water table from all of the gold mines in the area, Arsenic etc. God knows what kind of run off we get from the local industry, Military Bases, oil refineries all located within six miles of my garden. "

Now THAT may be a hazard in your garden, tiny traces lead from tumbling media is not. I mean, after all guys, the stuff comes out of the ground to start with and no one has ever died from garden fed lead poisoning! (Thats funny, don't care who ya are!)

jcwit
January 27, 2012, 08:15 PM
So the solution is to just add more contaminates to be ingested?

Man alive this sure makes sense.

As I said, no wonder they want to outlaw the use of lead.

Guys, your logic is appalling to say the least.

HOOSIER70
January 27, 2012, 09:19 PM
Goes in the trash

Route666
January 27, 2012, 09:34 PM
Yes the reasoning behind "someone else is polluting a lot more than I do so me polluting a little must be perfectly ok" is far from sound, in fact it is basically using "Some big kids were doing it!" as an excuse. BUT at the same time one has to consider what one is legally obliged to do, what is REALLY the best thing to do with it, etc.

Spreading it on your own yard may actually be the best way to deal with the contaminants at the level they are at / at the regularity you will need to dispose of them. Perhaps everyone stockpiling theirs at the same place by disposing in the garbage is worse, and perhaps using a hazardous waste disposal facility is overkill. Those happen to be my opinion on the subject regarding used tumbling media. Using it as flux sounds like a good one, if you cast.

I'm far from "pro-polluting" but at the same time I don't believe that returning minerals to the earth that they came from is polluting (considering the compound and amount / density). When lead or other materials are mined from the earth they are certainly in significant densities, otherwise it wouldn't be worthwhile mining them, so returning them to the earth isn't nearly as polluting as one might think, though it certainly isn't good enough reason to blindly do it.

ArchAngelCD
January 28, 2012, 02:11 AM
Well, I contact the local Hazmat Team and get an approved container from them to put the used media in. Then I being it to a company that has a portable blast furnace so it can be totally destroyed and not contaminate the landfill. This company usually uses their machine to sterilize soil that has been contaminated with oil, fuel or other hydrocarbons to make it safe again.

Actually, NOT... :neener: I just wrap it in a plastic bag and throw it in the trash like in a lot of the posts above... ;)

weeniewawa
January 28, 2012, 12:12 PM
I throw it in the garbage

that's why I pay the city each month to take away the stuff I no longer need

this would be very tame compared to the other stuff that goes in the can

if I can cut it up or stuff it in there, it goes in the trash truck

ranger335v
January 28, 2012, 02:49 PM

RustyFN
January 28, 2012, 06:16 PM
So you're contaminating you garden with lead & then eat the veggies?

OK

No wonder they want to outlaw the use of lead?

So the solution is to just add more contaminates to be ingested?

Man alive this sure makes sense.

As I said, no wonder they want to outlaw the use of lead.

Do you shoot lead bullets outside?

jaysouth
January 28, 2012, 06:41 PM
Just as long as you don't let empty beer can blow out.

Earlsbud
January 28, 2012, 07:08 PM
After I enter the vacuum chamber and slip on my Hazmat suit I activate the lead sensor alarms. I then load the sealed disposal drum in my vehicle and drive it down to the disposal center. Michelle loves this idea.
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu261/sawbuck_photo/MichObam.jpg
I used to take down to the orphanage where I sprinkled it on the ice cream for the kids. They loved it! Then I saw a photograph of polar bears that was really sad and went green.

jcwit
January 28, 2012, 07:13 PM
Do you shoot lead bullets outside?

Yes I do, and I belong to a club that the state requires us to have our well water and surface water to be tested every quarter.

With that said there is a HUGE difference between elemental lead, thats lead in the "metal" state versus lead compounds as is found in used tumbling media.

This is why those that shoot at indoor ranges are more at risk, depending of the air system, and why the dust from media is a problem.

Common sense should be used and adhered to.

Think about it rusty, think!

FROGO207
January 28, 2012, 08:29 PM
I do put it in the trash-----BUT. The trash here is shipped to a trash to energy plant that is basically a LARGE incinerator that heats water to power several steam turbines. The smoke stacks have electronic particle scrubbers that remove the bad stuff from the byproducts. This is IMHO a safe and sane way to remove mildly toxic waste from the environment. How many other things like batteries and Teflon and such are thrown away each year in landfills. IMHO that is worse than what we do. The dross from melting lead does go to the haz-mat clean up that they have around here once a year however.

jaysouth
January 29, 2012, 09:36 AM
I don't let dust accumulate in my tumbler. I put a clean 'bounce' dryer sheet in with each new load of brass.

It goes in the trash after each tumbling session. So if it is wrong, I am doing it in small doses. However, I have lived long enough to respect proportionality. The hundred or so pounds of tumbler media that winds up in the landfill of my town is not a statistical blip on the radar screen compared to the disposal of lithium batteries, dead computers and computer screens, old florescent bulbs and the new CFLs.

You have only so much 'fire in the belly'. Save it for the big battles and things that really matter.

thorn-
January 29, 2012, 11:31 AM
Just don't blend it into a corn smoothie.

thorn

If you enjoyed reading about "What's your method for disposal of used tumbling media?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!