Seating 9mm XTP

PDA

CMV
January 26, 2012, 11:16 PM
They have the tapered base and seem to go into the case just fine without using the expander die.

Is there any reason to open up the case mouth prior to seating them? If not, would there be any reason to then run them thru the Lee factory crimp die (it doesn't look like it's doing anything, but I might have it set wrong)?

If you enjoyed reading about "Seating 9mm XTP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GJgo
January 26, 2012, 11:29 PM
I assume you're referring to the .355" 147gr XTP? The others all have a flat base.

Personally I'd still run it through a FCD just to make sure they'll all chamber reliably.

CMV
January 26, 2012, 11:32 PM
Yes 147 gr. That's all i have for 9mm XTP so didn't realize they all aren't that shape.

GJgo
January 26, 2012, 11:37 PM
Yeah I'd probably pop the expander die out of the turret for that one.

918v
January 26, 2012, 11:53 PM
Depends on the brass. Some are harder than others and you will see alot of OAL variance. Expanding the case mouth assures fairly even case tension.

Steve in PA
January 27, 2012, 12:14 AM
And the first time you get a case where the mouth isn't openenough and you crush the case, you will realize why flaring the case mouth is pretty much a standard step.

gamestalker
January 27, 2012, 12:37 PM
I load those particular XTP's and because the bullet is a boat tail design, there is no reason to bell your mouths. I don't use a factory crimp die and rely 100% on brass neck tension and have not had a single problem with bullet set back, or other issues for that matter.

If you enjoyed reading about "Seating 9mm XTP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!