Finally taking the plunge!

PDA

ojibweindian
January 29, 2003, 01:09 PM
Gonna get into reloading, and have decided on the Lee Hand Press kit. Why? Because I want something portable.

My question is, what other pieces of equipment do I need? Whatever the equipment, it needs to be portable and fit into a satchel-type bag.

Thanks in advance for the advice and opinions!

If you enjoyed reading about "Finally taking the plunge!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Blackcloud6
January 29, 2003, 01:40 PM
Get a few reloading manuals and read them Make sure youfully understand the process, what you are doing and why. Do it right each time and instill good habits to yourself for reloading. Every year, reread the parts on the manul on process and safety. Ask questions to experienced reloaders if you are not sure about something.

Always check your cases for signs of failure, look into them to be sure you have powder in them and the rght amount. it is very easy to double load pistol cases.

vulcan
January 29, 2003, 02:12 PM
Add dial calipers & lee dippers. I have a 4" caliper for my portable kit. A powder measure & scale would be ideal, But for a portable kit the dippers will work.

ojibweindian
January 29, 2003, 02:29 PM
What are dippers?

mtnbkr
January 29, 2003, 03:59 PM
What are dippers?

Little, plastic scoops that are calibrated to measure out X grains of different powders. They work fairly well if you develop a method of using them and stick to it (for consistancy's sake). The entire set is about $6 or so.

If you want portable, have you checked into the Lyman 310 tool? Dunno if it uses standard dies, but it's smaller and looks like it would be less of a PITA to use. I gave my dad the Lee version for his Bday. It works, but is no replacement for a benchmounted press (he didn't have room for one).

Chris

VictorLouis
January 29, 2003, 07:07 PM
Calipers, just to make sure your dies are adjusted properly, and a good manual. Still have a hand press, myself.:cool:

ojibweindian
January 29, 2003, 08:22 PM
Another question; it's about cleaning brass.

I've heard that brass has to be cleaned. What's a simple, inexpensive, and portable way of doing this?

mtnbkr
January 29, 2003, 09:12 PM
I'm too cheap to buy a tumbler. I don't care if my brass is shiny or not. All I care about is keeping the brass clean enough so it will move through the carbide dies without a great deal of force. I take my old brass, toss it in an old pillowcase, tie a knot in it, toss it in with the dark clothes, and run it through a couple of cycles. Then, I spread the brass out on an old, unuseable cookie sheet and let it dry. It doesn't tarnish, it gets the residue off, and it's free.

Chris

SASS#23149
January 30, 2003, 11:42 AM
For rifle rounds,you must use case lube to avoid sticking the round in the die....and they WILL stick without it.
If using a hand press I'd lube pistol rounds also,or at least every fifth one..makes the cases slide in easier in the sizing die.
You'll need a loading block to hold the cases upright while adding powder,and a funnel to pour it through .
Also a hand priming tool to seat the prmers. A can of Brasso and a rag to wipe the cases with if they are dirty.
If we're talking rifle rounds and you' ve shot the rounds in Your rifle already,a neck sizing die would be much easier to use than a full length die. You'll need access to a scale to know what charge of your powder the dippers will throw. A notebook to note these dipper measurments..."memory reloading" can get ya hurt!!
So,how big was that satchel gonna be.:)

ojibweindian
January 30, 2003, 12:02 PM
About the size of a day-pack.

So what I will need is the Lee Hand Press Kit and the dies for .30-06, a scale, a powder funnel, some Brasso and cloth to clean cases, calipers, and lubricant.

Anything else?

Neal Bloom
January 30, 2003, 06:18 PM
Doesn't Brasso contain ammonia which can eventually weaken the cases?

If you enjoyed reading about "Finally taking the plunge!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!