need scope advice

PDA

mbeermn
January 29, 2012, 09:37 AM
i just bought a savage 110ba in 338 lapua and was looking for quality glass. I would like to stay in the 1000-1500 dollar range. primarily i will be shooting 500 to 1000 yards, shooting steel plates, but would like to try it out shooting wild boar. been looking at the burris black diamond 8-32x50, trijicon accupoint 5-20x50. I would like to keep it closer to the 1000 dollar mark but i don't want to have to do this again in a year since im not happy.

If you enjoyed reading about "need scope advice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Geno
January 29, 2012, 09:52 AM
Handsdown, check out Nightforce scopes. They are at the top end of your price range, and some are well above. You will hard pressed to find a better scope.

Geno

chaser_2332
January 29, 2012, 02:48 PM
Nightforce and vortex for your budget, either will serve u well.

Txhillbilly
January 29, 2012, 02:56 PM
Sightron SIII scopes as well!

RangerHAAF
January 29, 2012, 03:11 PM
If you're going to spend that kind of money I would recommend a Zeiss or Leupold model which has a large variety of reticles to choose from.

Geno
January 29, 2012, 03:28 PM
Zeiss: I too have looked through a few Zeiss (have not owned any), and they were impressive for the cost.

Leupold: I have owned several Leupolds scopes, and only one was factory defective. The factory corrected the issue. For the cost, Leupold and Zeiss are impressive.

Sightron: The Sightron is the new Weaver. I think for the money, (point of rationality meaning to get the most for the least) I would still go Weaver and save 30% over the Sightron.

Impressions: If you plan to shoot early morning and late evening, expend ALL that you can. You will be paying for the glass quality, and glass quality means light transmission. There is no such thing as "gathering light". Light transmission, in low light, makes a massive difference. If you plan to shoot only in normal day light hours, save your money and go "cheap".

Disclaimer: JMHO and based on what I actually did/do.

Geno

If you enjoyed reading about "need scope advice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!