reloading prices at gun shows!!???

PDA

Steel185
January 29, 2012, 12:01 PM
All i can say is WOW. I'm from Texas and moved to Iowa this last year. I went to an Iowa Gun show yesterday. I was prepared with my list of items and relative prices i could get it for from various places. As i walked around the show there were old barely functioning presses, and assessories and the prices were all at or above new prices! The sellers wouldn't budge either. I even show one guy with my phone a place online that already sold it new $10 cheaper than his 20year old press. The frusterating part it i want to buy from locals or look at craigslist, but its all bought up quickly and sold at these places for (what i see as) unrealistic prices. I've gone to local auctions and the samething, bids went over the price these items were new!! I understand supply and demand (Finance degree) but this is crazy. I'm not spending $20 more for a 20year old press than a new one, then have to put more money into it, to get it running again.

Ok rant over...thanks for reading

If you enjoyed reading about "reloading prices at gun shows!!???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
john16443
January 29, 2012, 12:09 PM
I'm with you, spend wisely grasshopper.

Certaindeaf
January 29, 2012, 12:17 PM
I guess some people don't have a mailing address and or only like to use cash.
I think it's pretty weird too.

codefour
January 29, 2012, 01:24 PM
The great communist state of California has the same issues. The guns shows are rip offs here as well. Not only do you have to pay parking and entrance fee, I did not buy one thing there. These crotchety old guys think they have some gold mine but its more like a coal mine. I will never go again.

RhinoDefense
January 29, 2012, 01:32 PM
A lot of gun show sellers price high knowing they will be talked down in price. If someone pays the asking price, so be it.

Arkansas Paul
January 29, 2012, 01:38 PM
There are good deals to be had too. We recently got a Lee Breechlock press and a cheapo Lyman for $35.
Of course at the same show, a guy wanted $125 for an ancient Rockchucker. My brother walks up and asks how much he wants for it. I replied, "He doesn't want to sell it."

tallpaul
January 29, 2012, 01:43 PM
Some of the older presses are worth more... the old rock chucker is worth around there. The newer rock chuckers from a few years back had issues. they may or may niot be fixed. Just because ya can get a deal on older rusty stuff or a press someone thinks is worthless does not mean there are not folks willing to buy at the higher price who WILL and do find value in the older stuff. Ya won't likely hurt the older rock chuckers for sure. Just because ya found a 35.00 lyman does not mean the rock chucker was over priced at all.

mcofboise
January 29, 2012, 02:11 PM
It's been a while since I bought anything significant from a gun show, but I go anyway. Sometimes I find a truffle. A couple weeks ago I went to one and asked a guy what he wanted for the Large Pistol primers he had on his table. When he said $22/1000 I bought the 3000 he had so fast it looked like Clark Kent changing in a phone booth.
If anybody remembers what a phone booth is.
I never thought I would think that was a good deal. I still have primer packages marked 89 cents/100. I never thought $14 would be a great price for a brick of 22LR ammo either.

dsm
January 29, 2012, 03:35 PM
Same thing in PA. Same vendors, same outrageous prices, ridiculous entry fee! The only reason I would toto one is if I was looking for something specific that is hard to find.

rondog
January 29, 2012, 03:40 PM
See the same thing on eBay and other auction sites. I do much better surfing forums and buying FTF from private sellers.

EddieNFL
January 29, 2012, 04:07 PM
The internet is your friend. Anything I want or need can be found online and almost always at a better price.

357 Terms
January 29, 2012, 04:16 PM
It's been a while since I bought anything significant from a gun show

same here!

I still go, just to see what is there, maybe some interesting grips, to handle a model I haven't before, antiques.

The last thing I remember buying were SKS stripper clips to hold 357 mag ammo for my Marlin, that! was 2 years ago!!!

Steel185
January 29, 2012, 04:34 PM
i used to buy powder there because it was slightly lower and you didn't have the extra dangerious shipping charge. But when you factor in the parking and door fee, its not much different. Now i usually go to the local gun shop.

I did meet a guy that just opened a gun store near my house....that makes it worth it.

Mike 27
January 29, 2012, 05:29 PM
I stopped going to the shows for that reason. You can buy new stuff for the price they want. The last time I went to one was about 3 years ago during the Obama scare. I managed to buy 2000 primers for 25 per 1000. Not a great deal but I had primers when you couldn't find them anywhere.

Bayou1535
January 29, 2012, 05:32 PM
Went yesterday and the prices I seen on powder and primers couldn't be touched by online vendors even adding in hazmat. Brass was also higher than online with shipping, something to do as in walking around and people watchin.

jack44
January 29, 2012, 06:11 PM
there one next week I need some powder I'l ckeck out the prices.

medalguy
January 29, 2012, 07:18 PM
I was at a gun show in Houston recently and was talking with another guy about prices on guns and ammo, and I mentioned buying online at much better prices. He looked shocked and said he would never order anything by computer. He was afraid of "putting his credit card out there on the internet" which frankly shocked ME. Thinking about it, and after attending a meeting recently where quite a few people said they "did not do the email thing", made me realize there are a lot a few people out there who are not computer literate in the first degree and who still rely on gun shows and retail stores to buy everything. Possibly this is one reason the sellers put such high prices on things. Of course, they can always come down if anyone expresses interest in an item.

eam3clm@att.net
January 29, 2012, 07:45 PM
In all the years that I have been going to gunshows I have only found four deals that were too good to pass up. First was when I got my G27 in 2006. The next was a case of cci primers for 20.00 a thousand. Last year I picked up an ar15 upper receiver with the sights installed for 45.00. My biggest conquest was last year also. I picked up four pounds of Hp38 for 12.00 a pound,two pounds of IMR7828 for 15.00 a pound, a pound of lilgun for 12.00, winchester 209 primers for 15.00 a thousand, and two pounds of IMR 4759 for 10.00 a pound. These were new stock. The dealer said that he bought out another gun shop and didnt have the room to stock these items. But as the op posted most prices at gunshows are inflated. I just love how dealers will have a sign saying "show price", but it is more than the full msrp.

Damon555
January 29, 2012, 08:23 PM
Gun shows in this part of the country are also a joke. I'm not sure how these people make any money selling things. There must be some real suckers that they can snare once in a while. Of course it's pretty tough to spot the guns in amongst the other garbage that is there. The people that frequent guns shows are also not the types I like to spend time around....

BossHogg
January 29, 2012, 08:30 PM
Gunshow this weekend. I think I saved myself $ 8 and the hassle of looking at a bunch of overpriced stuff. Last show I went to I heard some dealers saying everyones looking but nobodys buying. I started to say get your prices inline and you might sell something. Instead I just went home and vowed to save my $8 bucks.

CMV
January 29, 2012, 08:59 PM
We had one 2 weeks ago & it was awful. It was a smaller one so I thought it might be worthwhile but that actually made it worse. Very crowded & very high prices. Sad thing is there weren't many guns there. More jewelery & coins than guns. Tons of mall ninja stuff too.

This one was in an old car dealership - not a wide-open convention center type that I'm used to. For half of it, you had to sort of move single file from table to table and there were several "chokepoints" getting from one section to the next (think about an average old car dealership moving from the showroom, to the office area, to the service area).

If someone would have set up there with a good selection of fairly priced (not rock bottom, but not Gander Mtn +25% either) AR-15s & 1911's & ammo he'd have made a killing & sold everything in the first few hours. Could easily make $ thousands in a few hours. I was specifically looking for a 1911 & had a certain one in mind. I saw a grand total of 5 at the whole show - and every manufacturer on the planet right now is making a 1911. Same with ARs - none under $1000 & many over $1500 but I didn't see any that were really $950 retail at best. The "pre-ban" $1800+ used ones were a wonderful addition & I saw at least 4 of those - the highest was $2200 & looked pretty beat up. We're not in a ban state nor are we even bordered by one.

Next time I should spend the $50 for a table, lay out all my guns & ammo for 150% of what they're worth (or cost new for the guns), & see if I can make $10k in a day from suckers with more money than sense.

kennedy
January 29, 2012, 08:59 PM
I just buy primers and powder, save the haz mat fee and shipping. all else I buy on line

Certaindeaf
January 29, 2012, 09:29 PM
Some places the buzzard is saluted. Apparently.

Hondo 60
January 29, 2012, 10:04 PM
Auction fever gets into some people.
And some just don't know the retail price & figure a gun show is always gonna be cheaper.

I sold a used set of 9mm Lee dies last year for $38 on ebay.
I put a decent $15 start price on it, but the bids just kept coming.

skyflyer
January 29, 2012, 10:06 PM
Welcome to Iowa.
I would guess you was at the fairgrounds.
It looked like everyone in the state was at the show Saturday.

If you are looking for a used press try posting a WTB ad on craigslist and move fast because they go really fast. I sold my 550 within a coulpe minutes of posting it and had a couple guys trying to bid on it before I could remove the ad.

My favorite guy for components is Bobs Shooting supply from Monroe IA.
He is a pretty good guy with decent prices.

788Ham
January 29, 2012, 11:36 PM
I was at a local gunshow about 6 months ago, needing some powder. I walked about 1/2 way around the place, all the old locals that are there every month, still have prices jacked so high, you almost break your neck lookin' up! I noticed one table, all new signage, and a crowd that hell wouldn't have. This guy was opening a new shop, had powder up the wazoo, all new stock, and was $5.00 a .lb. cheaper than anyone in the joint. I picked up 3 lbs. of one powder and 4 lbs. of another. I was wishing I'd have brought more monies, I'd have bought 8 lb. kegs!

RugerBob
January 30, 2012, 06:57 AM
I don't mind paying a few dollars more to keep my local dealers alive. They have to make enough profit to cover table rental($60 a table at our local shows). Buy themselves some lunch. So if I want t a item specific, I'll pay an extra $5 or so and keep the local guy afloat.

fguffey
January 30, 2012, 08:20 AM
Last gun show, Market Hall, Dallas, TX,

RCBS 45 ACP Carbide sizer/4 die set, the set included a seater t/c and a t/c only die, $20.00, Dillon 38ACP Super carbide full length sizer die, $5.00, Three RCBS Mold handles $45.00, 1 for $10.00 and two for $25.00. 257 Roberts L.E. Wilson case gage $5.00, then the 2 items I did not do all that good with, two RCBS bullet puller collets for 6MM/.243 and 270, $5.00 each.

F. Guffey

wingman
January 30, 2012, 08:42 AM
I long ago gave up on gun shows,I see same merchandise time after time with ever higher prices not worth the effort I will say at one time some years ago there were some fair bargains but no longer I simply order everything.

Yarddog
January 30, 2012, 08:58 AM
Gun Shows are getting like Fle markets, You got to get there early before deals are gone ; )
Y/D

crazy*dog
January 30, 2012, 09:16 AM
This is my first post and I have been roaming around the forum . This particular post is one I think people should take a good hard look at. I went with a freind of my to the Maumee valley gun show up here in Nw. Ohio paid to park , paid to get in, and what did i find ? nothing has changed . Now this isn't my first rodeo , but it's the first time I have been back to one in a few years ( the only reason going to this one was my buddy wanted to buy a new holster for his glock , then the guy didn't show up this year ). Like many of you have said , your buying old worn out crappy hand guns and reloading equipment these dealer people see as being antiques and are worth there weight in gold. I think it's time that local gun clubs and it's members stop supporting these functions till it drives done the prices to more realistic levels . However this will never happen people are people and all they really seem to like to do is bitch moan and groan about things that remain the same. Now don't get me wrong this is not an accusation about the people on this site , but about the reality of how we handle problems from government regulations to over priced gun shows. Love the forum btw.:banghead:

joed
January 30, 2012, 09:35 AM
I quit going to gunshows last year. My observations have been that I can find reloading components cheaper almost anywhere. The prices on used guns are way to high, I can buy new cheaper and do.

The only bargain I see at the shows here is to not pay and stand outside. There are a lot of people selling guns that walk around hoping for someone to make an offer.

dickttx
January 31, 2012, 09:22 AM
I usually enjoy going to the Original Fort Worth Gun Show. To me it is entertainment: you get to see a lot of things you enjoy looking at. Much cheaper than a movie. I haven't enjoyed one of those since John Wayne died.:D
Occasionally I even find a bargain, or something I have been looking for.

S&W 617-4
1K CCI 300 primers $100 last year (1994 old stock)
200 new Starline .357 brass for $20

Last one I went to CCI 500 primers were $123, down from over $150.

Sales tax about swaps out with shipping.

kelbro
January 31, 2012, 10:34 AM
My father-in-law was a big flea market/gun show vendor. One thing that I learned from him, and that may also be the case with other gun show vendors, is that they price their stuff high so as NOT TO SELL IT.

Heck, this is an event for these guys. Eating, drinking, BS'ing with a bunch of buddies. My FIL said if he actually sold the stuff, he wouldn't have any reason to go to the shows and would be stuck at home with my MIL so he priced it high enough to cover his trouble of having to go out and replace it.

Arkansas Paul
January 31, 2012, 10:39 AM
I don't mind paying a few dollars more to keep my local dealers alive.

I'm a laid off, full time student with a family. I'm more worried about trying to keep myself alive. So when I have a little extra cash on hand to spend on gun related items, I have to go with the lowest prices. Maybe when I'm done with school and can afford to, I'll agree. I'm not talking about a dollar or two, I don't mind that. But if they're trying to get new prices for used items and won't budge, I'm not willing too help them that much.

capreppy
January 31, 2012, 10:56 AM
Last gun show, Market Hall, Dallas, TX,

RCBS 45 ACP Carbide sizer/4 die set, the set included a seater t/c and a t/c only die, $20.00, Dillon 38ACP Super carbide full length sizer die, $5.00, Three RCBS Mold handles $45.00, 1 for $10.00 and two for $25.00. 257 Roberts L.E. Wilson case gage $5.00, then the 2 items I did not do all that good with, two RCBS bullet puller collets for 6MM/.243 and 270, $5.00 each.

F. Guffey
I might have to go to the next one. I live in FTW and ours doesn't allow powder / primers so not even an option. Always on the lookout for inexpensive reloading gear though.

carbuncle
January 31, 2012, 11:01 AM
I want to the WAC show in Monroe a couple of weeks ago, first time in a couple of years: crowded with crabby people, stunk like flatulence and cosmoline and the prices were, literally, ridiculous (I was laughing as I pushed my way through the crowd). Ancient presses for above retail, rusty dies for more than retail, beat-down guns for...wait for it...more than retail: never again. It was raging busy, so someone enjoys them, but I'll pass.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Arkansas Paul
January 31, 2012, 12:51 PM
I've been having more fun at gun shows lately, not because the shows have gotten better, but because I've changed my way of thinking about them. Everything there can't be screaming good deals. If it was like that, they would sell out in an hour and everyone would go home. The fun is looking through the delusional prices and finding the gems that are few and far between. On the good side, you do get to look at a lot of cool stuff between finding them. Don't go in with high expectations. I've started having better experiences since I started looking at them this way and have found some good deals too.

kennedy
January 31, 2012, 01:01 PM
a day at a gun show is better than a day at work or cutting the lawn

Damon555
January 31, 2012, 05:33 PM
I'd rather go to the dentist than a gun show anymore. I really enjoyed it when a was (much) younger.......By the time you pay for parking and admission you really don't save that much unless you come into several screaming deals.

Arkansas Paul
January 31, 2012, 06:15 PM
By the time you pay for parking and admission you really don't save that much unless you come into several screaming deals.

It's different here. I've never paid to park at one and admission is $7-$8. That's cheaper than a movie ticket, and I'd much rather spend a half a day fondling guns than watching some dumba$$ chick flick with the wife. :)

W.E.G.
January 31, 2012, 06:21 PM
The retailers (including gun-show types) know EXACTLY how much it costs you to buy a pound of powder, or a brick of primers from an online source.

That's why they charge you over-the-counter prices that are just barely better than what you would pay if you ordered the stuff and paid all the hazmat and shipping fees.

Do you blame them?

You beat those retail guys by online-ordering a bunch of the stuff with friends, and split the shipping and hazmat fees.

outlander0129
January 31, 2012, 06:38 PM
When i go to the gun shows and find an item that is way over priced, I usually just look at the vendor shrug and say that the one my neighbor wants to sell me isn't all that bad after all. Then I thank the vendor because now I can probably talk my neighbor into selling his to me. The vendor will usually ask how much the neighbor wanted. If you have done your homework and checked online what the going rate is you can quote that rate and see what the vendor does. It works quite often for me. I'm for the vendor making money but I don't want to pay his mortgage for this month either. Try it next time and see what happens. It can't hurt.

kimbershot
January 31, 2012, 06:39 PM
doing my first show since moving south--this weekend in savannah ga. i am used to attending shows in ct and ma. they really got sucky-waste of time, gas and money. so, this weekend will tell.:confused:

ol' scratch
January 31, 2012, 06:56 PM
You can find a deal if you look long and hard. Sadly, that deal is not typically in the reloading areas. I did pick up some boxes of M72 National Match 3006 for $6 a box. I avoid the dealers and seek out individuals walking around selling stuff.

CMV
January 31, 2012, 07:24 PM
...that the one my neighbor wants to sell me isn't all that bad after all. ...

??? Why not just be direct & say "I 'd be willing to pay $X - will you take that?"

I doubt the guy cares one way or another what your neighbor might or might not sell you. You have a max price you will pay & he has a min price he'll accept. All the shrugs and make believe stories don't change that.

I like the "they don't want to sell anything - they just go to hang out" theory. I worked a few with some friends selling accessories & stuff & we were there to make money. But there were people at other tables that seemed more interested in socializing and seeing friends as they came buy than actually selling stuff.

I felt bad for one friend who was a Class 3 dealer. He had one of the busiest tables & never got a break. Never sold a thing except maybe enough ammo or other small stuff to cover the cost of the table, but people oooohed & aaaahed all over his stuff & drove him batty playing 20 questions. He didn't mind & said he made good contacts. And people got to go home & say they played with an MP5SD or Uzi or M-60

twohightech
January 31, 2012, 08:27 PM
The show's around here have good deals on primmers, powder and can find few other things too. If you spend some money they will cut you a deal on the price and cash out the door. You will not get a deal on a 1lb can but get 2 or 3 8lb jugs you should. I keep buying reloading components from the same guy so that may help? His Dillion or LnL press is the same price that is online so one could save shipping cost and have then. Yes most of the guns are over priced but you have people selling at good prices. As for me it is the same as going to a movie I enjoy just looking at the guns!

ArchAngelCD
February 1, 2012, 01:43 AM
Just because bullets look like they are made of gold doesn't make it so but the vendors think they have gold. Things have been bad at the shows for quite a few years now. Rarely can you save enough to even cover your gas and entrance fee. (Northeast PA)

dsm
February 1, 2012, 02:41 AM
Hummm....I'd rather cut my lawn.

February 1, 2012, 02:41 AM
One of the last gun shows I went to, a vendor had a Taurus Judge for sale @ $599.00. It was the EXACT same model, finish, barrel, chamber size, etc. as the one on sale at local Sportsman's Warehouse (Gander Mountain, but better) for $399.00. That's right, a $200 mark up. I just shook my head and walked away.

On a good note, I did pick up an older (80's) OHAUS powder measure that works great for $40.

Then I found another vendor selling powder. I asked for a lb. of H-110 and she had $27.99 scratched on the lid. Lucky for me it was on "special" for $23.99.

A buddy thought he found a good deal, .30-06 brass "once-fired" claimed the vendor, $30/350 pieces. I went to load 100 rounds of it for him, and found the primers would barely stay in the pocket. I told him to shoot the brass once and save it for scrap metal.

Getting to be a waste of time.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
February 1, 2012, 05:13 AM
I used to do gunshows a little over a decade ago with a buddy of mine. I quit doing them, but he still works them. When we started, a table cost us $25.00 apiece to rent for a day, so fifty bucks a show. Today, that same table costs $100.00 a day, four times as much. So the dealer of today has to sell and spend his first $200.00 profit (not including getting back the money he paid for stuff) paying for his tables. Hard to do when you're selling gun accessories at $5.00 to $10.00 apiece.

Not to mention the prices of the guns, etc. Online prices are very close to wholesale. Most stuff is shipped from a warehouse or warehouse like facility as big as a wholesaler's. Look at midwayusa's facility for an example. So they can maintain levels of inventory as big or bigger than a manufacturer and sell it on the internet with no sales tax involved. Your small local gun dealer can't compete with that. If he tried, he'd go out of business and many of them have.

This situation exists in the electronic industry as well, brick and mortar stores are going out of business, unable to compete with the online stores, where the inventory can be much larger, the buying power better and no need for customer service people, cash registers, nice lighting, etc. Which is why Best Buy, a once very competitive company, is in trouble and may go out of business. Same thing with big video stores. And have you seen any mom and pop video stores lately? I think not.

Just how things are changing. But if you want firearms, you need to have someplace to ship them so you can pick them up. I suggest supporting your local gun dealer, even if his prices are high. Otherwise, you might well not be able to pick up guns from him in the future, because he'll be closed.

Just my .02,

bonza
February 1, 2012, 08:54 AM
What gets me at most of the gunshows I go to are the sellers/dealers who sit behind their tables with a sour puss & refusing to make eye contact with anyone walking by or looking at stuff on the table. Is there any wonder they don't sell anything?! As far as going for the social aspect, I can believe that to a certain extent, we have a group of maybe 4-5 guys who share an end-cap of tables at every show, they have the same crap 'for sale' all the time, & they spend the entire show with their chairs in a circle, facing inwards, talking BS to each other & ignoring any potential customers.

CraigC
February 1, 2012, 11:02 AM
I think the gunshow deal is largely a thing of the past. With the internet and particularly online auctions, most folks know what they have and want top dollar for it. IMHO, sellers usually fall into one of four categories.

They know what they have and want a fair price for it.

They know what they have and want top dollar for it.

They know what they have and are waiting for a sucker to pay an exhorbitant price for it.

They know just enough to get into trouble and the thing they're trying to sell is worth about half what they think it is. See it all the time with Old Model Rugers and Colt's.

However, I always get good deals on components. Buy most my bullets, primers and powder from shows.

cardinalfan
February 1, 2012, 12:19 PM
Only reason I go to gun shows now is to stock up on reloading supplies. Everyone seems to want retail + for guns/magazines.
I have been able to pickup CCI primers for $24/1000 all day long, and NO HAZMAT fees. Okay, so it cost $8 to get into the show, but still quite a bit cheaper than $25 and still better prices on primers/powder than just about anywhere.

Sniper66
February 1, 2012, 12:34 PM
In my experience every gun show is different, some exciting, some not very interesting, but for me, any gun show beats sitting at home watching football. Gun shows provide a wealth of information and if you don't pay attention, misinformation too. The granddaddy of gun shows is in Tulsa twice a year. I drive 5 hours to get there, spend 2 nights in a motel, and pay to get in twice. Money well spent for me....But everyone has to make up their own minds. I have encountered the same things some of you mention...prices that are just plain silly, so I thank them and move on. I have found some bargains on ammo, like a brick of 500 Hornady 17 HMR for $87.50; you will never find it cheaper. The same guy was selling bricks of Winchester standard velocity .22 rimfire for $18.50. I bought a lot of what he had and was mad at myself for not buying all of it. Another guy was selling Fiocchi .223 Extrema 40 gr for $15 per 50 with no tax!! I found all of these bargains at one show last year. I had never seen it before and haven't seen it since. I found a really, really, really nice Winchester '94 with a long hexagonal barrel made in 1926 at a decent price, but I had spent all my money and chose to pass it up. This was a one of a kind and suited me perfectly...I'm still kicking myself for not borrowing the money to buy it. The issue here is that you can find items at guns shows that you cannot find anywhere else. See ya in Tulsa. Tom

REL1203
February 1, 2012, 12:45 PM
I go to big local gun shows just to pick up Powder and Primers for cheap. I get powder for $18-$22/lb, and primers for around $27/1000

Otto
February 1, 2012, 12:54 PM
Last time I went to a so-called gun show in Austin I almost asked for my money back.
Lots of non-gun crap . . . jewelry, jerky, trinkets, ornaments, MRE's.
There was a line of tables FULL of books covering every conspiracy from Nazis to Illuminati to fluoridated drinking water.
Some of the sellers didn't even have prices on their guns.
Very little if any reloading components, no presses of any kind.
A table or two selling reloaded ammo of unknown origin.
Cheap Chinese knifes galore. It seemed there were more gun sales going down in the parking lot than inside the show.

Hopefully the Houston show isn't as pathetic.

Sniper66
February 1, 2012, 02:00 PM
Me again....The Tulsa show limits non-gun crap...still some junk arrives anyway, but very little. Other shows allow everthing from junk jewelry to Precious Moments dolls (shudder). I can go to Flea Markets without paying!! WHEN THAT HAPPENS I EMAIL THE ORGANIZER AND TELL THEM I WON'T BE BACK.

mikeadams
February 1, 2012, 10:21 PM
WANENMACHER'S is the big one in Tulsa. This year it's Mar 31 - Apr 1. Counting the days!

http://www.tulsaarmsshow.com/frames.html

Mike

thorn-
February 2, 2012, 09:07 AM
I used to find reasonable prices on components at Ohio shows, but Florida has been disappointing. 2 Weeks ago at a local show: CCI small pistol primers ~ $45/K.

thorn

rfwobbly
February 2, 2012, 09:25 PM
There are some dealers who frequent local shows who bring a few thousand primers as "loss leaders". If I can get in when the doors first open I'll go and buy up those, but otherwise, I stay at home these days.

Joatmon
February 2, 2012, 10:27 PM
Like a lot of other things, gun shows are not what they used to be. I still go to several a year however. The search for that elusive gadget, book, gun ..... All it takes is one score once in while and it keeps me coming back. I have to admit that the pickings are a lot skimpier than they used to be. Anyway it beats doing some home improvement project on a saturday.

carbuncle
February 3, 2012, 01:56 PM
Hummm....I'd rather cut my lawn.

Or paint a room, or hang out with my family.

jenrob
February 3, 2012, 05:42 PM
Any more the local stores are the same way. I purchased a pistol online for $180 ($130 after shipping and transfer) cheaper than I could get it local and the same time also bought a rifle $400 ($350 after shipping and transfer) cheaper online I went to 4 different dealers and told them that if they would come within $50 of the price I would purchase from them to keep the money local. None of them cared.

El Viejo
February 3, 2012, 06:29 PM
I think the gunshow deal is largely a thing of the past. With the internet and particularly online auctions, most folks know what they have and want top dollar for it. IMHO, sellers usually fall into one of four categories.

They know what they have and want a fair price for it.

They know what they have and want top dollar for it.

They know what they have and are waiting for a sucker to pay an exhorbitant price for it.

They know just enough to get into trouble and the thing they're trying to sell is worth about half what they think it is. See it all the time with Old Model Rugers and Colt's.

However, I always get good deals on components. Buy most my bullets, primers and powder from shows.
CraigC, I know what you mean about gun shows becoming a thing of the past. Years ago I used to go to camera shows to sell & buy. With the proliferation of the internet & eBay, buyers got wise to the high prices at these shows & simply made their purchases elsewhere. The internet also brought more sellers and buyers together than ever before. Instead of having to go to the show to find that rare Leica camera, you could find it easier (and usually cheaper) online. I fear the gun show will face the same fate. Too bad. I enjoy going to them and seing some of the unique treasures to be found. I've found a few good deals at gun shows, but like the rest, I've seen some ridiculous prices.

HOWARD J
February 3, 2012, 07:23 PM
Probably 15 years since I have been to one--$5 or $10 to get in---$10 to park.
In a gun shop around here you can get everything that they sell at these shows & get better prices--I don't waste my time.

BBDartCA
February 3, 2012, 07:56 PM
Its a crap shoot at guns shows.

Got an incredibly good deal on Nosler partitions (75% less % than new), Speer 38 gold dots, Nosler and Sierra match 308 bullets and a bunch of virgin brass at a show recently. Plus some great surplus ball ammo. The deals are always from guys "cleaning out his garage."

Out here, there is always one guy with a massive booth at every show who sells most reloading components for as good as the better pricing you will find on the internet. I always have a list for him. Takes credit cards with no fee.

But the overwhelming majority of "gun show professionals" price new and used stuff way out of line with what the things goes for at the local stores. Sometimes its almost laughable. And they almost never negotiate. Who knows what goes through their minds - must be thinking people will make an impulse buy or something. Come on, 35 bucks for a pound of Winchester 748, when a store one exit down the street from the show has it for 22.99 dollars (not on sale).

BBDartCA
February 3, 2012, 08:05 PM
I want to the WAC show in Monroe a couple of weeks ago, first time in a couple of years: crowded with crabby people, stunk like flatulence and cosmoline and the prices were, literally, ridiculous (I was laughing as I pushed my way through the crowd). Ancient presses for above retail, rusty dies for more than retail, beat-down guns for...wait for it...more than retail: never again. It was raging busy, so someone enjoys them, but I'll pass.

I was at the same show. All you say is true except the flatulence part. They now have the show in a brand new building which is an improvement. But everything else is the same. But the crabby cantankerous old farts are good entertainment value.

Since the last show was cancelled due to the snow, it will be a mad house at the next one since it will be almost a 2 month gap between shows ... prices will be even higher.

The Centralia show is next week. The lady their from Roy selling powder for 40% more than The Marksman is a piece of work. She must be doing the show to get away from her old man or score dates. Ungodly expensive her stuff is.

GuysModel94
February 3, 2012, 10:38 PM
I noticed that a couple of guys slammed California gun shows. Not my experience at all. The stores that setup booths almost all offer a show special gun that is a good, if not a great buy. The ammo prices are far better than the stores. I purchased a Model 94 Saddle Carbine (1906,with ring) for $400.- is in very good shape. Makes me wonder if they really go at all.

sage5907
February 4, 2012, 11:30 AM
I go to the big spring gun show in Tulsa about every year. This year its on March 31 - April 1. I never go expecting to buy anything, but like most men I know exactly what I want to buy before I walk in the door. I can look at a table in 5 seconds and tell if there's something I'm interested in buying, and I'm always excited when I find a good deal on an item I want. BW

bubbacrabb
February 4, 2012, 11:52 AM
I just get disgusted at gun shows. Ordering from powder valley and others is better for me. Even with hazmat I get primers 12 dollars a thousand. I just make big purchases. 25k at a time. I've always had a buddy that had an ffl that done transfers for me. The way I look at it business is business. You have to be able to sell a quality product at a price e cheaper than everyone else.

FROGO207
February 4, 2012, 05:27 PM
I have a list of parts N pieces that I am looking for to fix up my latest finds. That's what I go for. Least that's what I tell the GF.;) IF I find a good deal on something I will snatch it up also. And the cute eye candy running around is always a bonus.:D The deal is a gun show is what you make it----I want an adventure when I go there. I will support them as well just to keep them a viable resource that is available. BTW around here it's free parking and $6 if you are a NRA member. Now that is a cheap days entertainment for me.:D

au_prospector
February 4, 2012, 05:42 PM
And the cute eye candy running around is always a bonus.

I've never seen eye candy at a gun show,
at a beach ~ yes, gun show? ~ hardly. Fella, you gotta get out more!

.338-06
February 4, 2012, 05:47 PM
You beat those retail guys by online-ordering a bunch of the stuff with friends, and split the shipping and hazmat fees.

This is exactly how to do this. I'm in a group buy right now, buying 8lb of Win 231. The per pound price shipped is $17/lb and I'm in Alaska!

February 4, 2012, 11:42 PM
Quote:
And the cute eye candy running around is always a bonus.

lol

Damon555
February 5, 2012, 12:04 AM
I was thinking the same thing....mostly yuk

Shadow 7D
February 5, 2012, 12:43 AM
Well, next weekend is going to be my first gun show renting a table
I have one day to clean out all the misc. stuff that I have laying around
I'm cleaning out all the extra stuff that I haven't sold online, misc stuff acquired by buying lots, reloading setups from people getting out of it etc.

I'm also going with a shopping list, I'm going friday for the setup, I'm going early
I'm taking all the guns I have no real reason to own, including some that fall into the 'neat' category, but hell I haven't shot them, or haven't shot them in forever.

my prices aren't going to be past what others are, but I ain't putting my bottom price on it either. My goal is to get the money back I've spent this last year on gun stuff, by, well getting rid of it, and I need to make a profit to cover my gas and rental fee. If you buy it for the price on the sticker, fine by me, if you want to bitch about the price on the sticker without taking the time to bargain it down, fine by me, just don't expect me to budge until you have what I want in front of me (note, this is different from what I'll take).

We all play the game, you walk away happy you got such a steal, I'm happy I got a deal and didn't loose money.

If you enjoyed reading about "reloading prices at gun shows!!???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!