Looking for a new barrel for a VZ-24 Mauser

PDA

Arbor
January 29, 2012, 04:56 PM
Hi,

I have a very nice VZ-24 8mm Mauser (Czech) that I bought from AIM a couple years ago. It was my most accurate rifle. I was amazed at how well I could shoot it. Then I lent it to my grandfather so he could hunt with it. He left it on a gunrack on a side-by-side ATV for a couple months in the winter, and the inside of the barrel rusted pretty badly. It was out of the rain, but not out of the fog. The inside of the barrel is the only part that suffered; there's not a speck of rust anywhere else on the rifle.

Anyway, it used to be a 2MOA rifle and now it's a 5MOA rifle. I decided to look for a new barrel, but I can't seem to find any. Any ideas?

The barrel I have isn't terribly pitted, but it's definitely visible. I would love to get my accuracy back from this barrel, but I don't know of any way to do that.

Thanks,
Arbor

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for a new barrel for a VZ-24 Mauser" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Float Pilot
January 29, 2012, 05:16 PM
It used to be easy to find those, but military weapons part imports have been blocked for the last 3 years of so..
I have a similar VZ-24 and have about given up.... Although re-crowning my bore did help a little.

wlewisiii
January 29, 2012, 05:25 PM
I recently got a VZ24 in 7x57 with a sewer-pipe of a barrel. I picked up one of these http://e-sarcoinc.com/search.aspx?find=MSR381 for it (19.5", 7x57, mil step). I believe they have some similar military barrels in 7.92 as well.

xfyrfiter
January 29, 2012, 05:25 PM
You might try a fire lap kit from Brownells. It may or may not help but will smooth everything out.

NCsmitty
January 29, 2012, 08:27 PM
A used one on ebay right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VZ24-mauser-barrel-original-sights-8mm-/120847495970?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c23127322

Maybe someone shot your rifle with corrosive surplus ammo and never cleaned it, because that's what will happen.

You'll be lucky if the sights time out to TDC with a replacement barrel.

NCsmitty

Arbor
January 29, 2012, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the link NCsmitty. The bore rusted because it was left out in the weather, not from corrosive ammo. I had to put a taller front sight on this rifle to be able to sight it in at 100yds, so I can use that on a replacement barrel.

Arbor

NCsmitty
January 29, 2012, 11:56 PM
The bore rusted because it was left out in the weather, not from corrosive ammo.

The inside of the barrel is the only part that suffered; there's not a speck of rust anywhere else on the rifle.

Sure is strange that nothing else but the bore was rusted, and I would be suspect seeing that the rusting actually ruined the bore. Those corrosive salts are very strong and react when exposed to the elements over time. But maybe I'm wrong.
I'm just trying to help you prevent this from happening again.

NCsmitty

Arbor
January 30, 2012, 02:42 AM
I do shoot corrosive ammo out of it, along with all my other surplus rifles, and I have always cleaned them afterward. When I first looked at the Mauser after it had been left out, the bore was completely rust-colored inside. I assume the bore rusted because it was not protected, and the rest of the rifle is blued. The rifling was sharp when I bought it.

Thanks,
Arbor

Gunnerboy
January 30, 2012, 06:45 AM
I got one that has beautiful rifleing but the outstide isnt exactly pretty send me a message if your interested.

madcratebuilder
January 30, 2012, 08:01 AM
A DIY electrolysis tank may make it better than new. Does amazing things for old nasty bores.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for a new barrel for a VZ-24 Mauser" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!