256 win mag. brass problems, HELP!

PDA

wbyman
January 29, 2012, 10:46 PM
I am having problems with my Jamisen 256 win mag brass. I am using one of the small LEE Hand Loaders, The first time I loaded the new brass it worked great. When I tried to load it again the bullet just falls out. The barrel is a Match Grade Machine contender barrel. I have heard that most chambers are now cut to use reformed 357 mag brass which is thicker in the neck than the brass I am using , does that sound possible? What can I do to correct this problem besides buying the resized 357 mag brass ? Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "256 win mag. brass problems, HELP!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
January 29, 2012, 11:06 PM
If you are talking about the Lee Whammy-Bammer Reloader set you beat cases in with a hammer?

That right there is your problem.
Get a real press & real reloading dies.

If you are talking about the little Lee toggle press & real dies?
Whittle down the powder-through expander spindle with a drill and emery paper.

It needs to be about .2545" to no more then .255" for .257" bullets for proper neck tension.

rc

padd54
January 29, 2012, 11:06 PM
Do you have a full lentgh sizing die?
The expander in the die may be too big, do you have a way to measure it?
Is there a difference between size of the necks after you run thru the sizing die?
It sounds like your sizing die is not touching the necks.
Can you post any pictures?

243winxb
January 29, 2012, 11:07 PM
small LEE Hand Loaders Do you mean the Lee Classic "hammer" loader? The one that only neck sizes?

wbyman
January 29, 2012, 11:29 PM
Yep , it is the hammer model Lee Loader. Is there any truth to the necks being thicker on the reformed 357 mag brass than the factory Jamisen brass ? Thanks for the quick responses.

billymarr
January 29, 2012, 11:36 PM
yes reformed brass is thicker and if the reamer used was cut for reformed brass it may be on the large side. I would check all the deminsions and adjust the expander to give the right tension. once that is done only partialy resize the cas so that it fits the chamber better

rcmodel
January 29, 2012, 11:41 PM
I didn't even know they ever made a Lee Hammer-Bammer in .256 Mag??

If they did, it must have been made by the old Lee company, not the present one.

rc

243winxb
January 30, 2012, 12:06 AM
Drawings of the 256 show a wall thickness of .014" When i look at the standard 357, wall thickness is .0105" After the 357 is necked down, it should get a little thicker, but i would guess not by .004" ??? I dont think there is an expander with the Hammer loader.

If you enjoyed reading about "256 win mag. brass problems, HELP!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!