MAX load for a Taurus Tracker .44mag

PDA

gofastman
January 30, 2012, 02:40 AM
I read Tracker's are a bit weak.
Id like to load up some max loads with 240gr LSWC's and 2400, any recipes?

I personally own a Raging Bull, but I make ammo for my buddy who owns the Tracker.

on a side note, I think I'm going to switch to 296 when my 2400 is gone.

If you enjoyed reading about "MAX load for a Taurus Tracker .44mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Blue68f100
January 30, 2012, 09:09 AM
You need to work up your loads. Jumping to MAX without working the load up, is not a good idea.

I have used both powders over the years. WW296 is a little different animal. It does require the use of a Mag primer where 2400 does not. If you load book does not list a min load with 296 you only back off 3% from max. The 3% is what the mfg tells you to do if you read all of the notes on this powder.

Be Safe...

gofastman
January 30, 2012, 11:52 AM
I have loaded up too 20.4 grs over a Rem LPP (didnt care for these, ill stick with Win and CCI) and judging by the sound alone( I need to get my chrony fixed), it was significantly less powerful than the standard Win. white box 240gr JSP's :confused:

is 21grs over a WLP primer too much?

gamestalker
January 30, 2012, 12:53 PM
If full house magnum performance is what you are chasing, switch to H110 or 296. I have been loading .357 mag. and 44 mag. with either of those powders for years with really impresive results. Those powders are very limited as to how much they can be reduced, and require magnum primers to touch them off. In this respect, don't start below minimum published data, and always use a magnum primer.
There is however the question of LSWC and 296 or H110. I'm not lead experienced, but I was under the impression that those powders were limited to use with jacketed bullets only. I do think I've heard there are some lead bullets capable of handling the pressures and velocities, but that should be addressed by someone who has first hand experience with this.
The Taurus tracker is completely safe to run full house loads though. If it's a modern firearm chambered in 44 mag. it is therefore designed to handle SAAMI approved pressures.

PapaG
January 30, 2012, 07:24 PM
Go with the manual recommendations minus 5 to 10 percent and work up. No one should go over the published max load and it should be approached with care.
I've rarely come closer than 3% to the max on anything I'ver ever loaded and no game or target has ever complained.

Walkalong
January 31, 2012, 07:29 AM
The Taurus tracker is completely safe to run full house loads though. If it's a modern firearm chambered in 44 mag. it is therefore designed to handle SAAMI approved pressures.
Yep.

Follow the load books. Start low and work up. If cases get sticky to eject, back off until they drop free easily.

If you enjoyed reading about "MAX load for a Taurus Tracker .44mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!