Suport Starbucks on Feb. 14th

PDA

Buckeye Dan
January 24, 2012, 08:53 AM
The National Gun Victim's Action Council (NGAC) says it is attempting to organize a nationwide Valentine's Day boycott of Starbucks over the coffee chain's gun policy.

Various pro 2A associations across the country plan to counter boycott Starbucks by patronizing them. Some plan to do so in open carry events.

Put on your best display of pro Gun and 2A clothing and equipment that your laws will allow and patronize your local Starbucks on Feb 14th. Take the family along.

The goal is for Starbucks to turn in above average receipts for the day knowing it came from the pro gun community and show the anti gunners how insignificant they are.

Spread the word everywhere you can.

If you enjoyed reading about "Suport Starbucks on Feb. 14th" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
newbuckeye
January 24, 2012, 09:46 AM
I guess I could buy a $4 muffin once for a good cause!

Ryanxia
January 24, 2012, 10:27 AM
I e-mailed them once to thank them for sticking up for our rights and they were very neutral in their reply that they only abide by local laws. Fine by me :)

valnar
January 24, 2012, 10:38 AM
The best we can do is make up for the people that WON'T go to Starbucks on Valentine's Day. Even if you are not a regular there, please find your way to one on that day so that their numbers don't take a dive at all. The best we can do is show the anti-gunner's stance had no effect.

Buck Kramer
January 24, 2012, 11:01 AM
The best thing for us to do here is go grab a coffee on the 14th.

au01st
January 24, 2012, 11:22 AM
I often meet friends at Starbucks for drinks and chatting. We open carry. Never heard a word about it from any employee. We actually decided on that location because we know they follow state law.

I'll make sure to stop by for a drink on Valentine's Day.

mgmorden
January 24, 2012, 11:29 AM
The best thing for us to do here is go grab a coffee on the 14th.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Do a reverse boycott. If you support gun rights, make sure that Starbucks sees no dip in sales on that day. I feel a Mocha Latté with whipped cream coming on for Valentine's Day :D.

hso
January 24, 2012, 11:30 AM
Starbucks took a risk by standing by a reasonable policy for each location to follow states/local law with respect to firearms carry instead of adopting a national policy excluding citizens complying with the law. They did so in the face of heavy national criticism by the anti establishment and national attention by the news media.
If they're to be attacked for this again by a call for a boycott on Feb. 14 by anti groups then we should make sure that Feb. 14 is a overwhelmingly profitable day for them to support their decision. More importantly, we should do this to show the powerlessness and marginal nature of the anti movement.

This ain’t about the cost of a cup of coffee, it’s about the price of freedom.

Ryanxia
January 24, 2012, 11:34 AM
I love it, I'll be there any buy 4 coffees just for me :)

EDIT: Save your receipts and scan them and e-mail to Starbucks customer support and tell them what you're doing :)

Sgt_R
January 24, 2012, 11:35 AM
I emailed Starbucks earlier today thanking them for their support ("support," simply by following applicable federal, state, & local law; funny how that works). I would suggest other folks do the same:

http://www.starbucks.com/customer-service/contact/company-information-form

I chose "Corporate Social Responsibility" from the drop-down. ;)

Of course, I also intend to drop some coin in my local Starbucks on the 14th.

R

January 24, 2012, 11:42 AM
Will be driving that 40 miles for a cup of hot chocolate.

hso
January 24, 2012, 11:44 AM
Sgt R,

GREAT contribution! Telling them that we appreciate their demonstration of social responsibility in not excluding law abiding customers is a great idea (along with the coin dropped on the 14th).

Folks,

This is an RKBA issue and THR is an RKBA forum. Any organization has issues that can be brought up, but here RKBA is our only focus.

docnyt
January 24, 2012, 11:54 AM
I'm in! Will make a nice Valentine's Day gesture for Mrs. docnyt if I bring home her fave cup anyway.

wmcc75
January 24, 2012, 06:11 PM
I don't really need a reason to buy more coffee but this time I'll feel good about my cup o joe really like this idea :)

beatledog7
January 24, 2012, 06:20 PM
Will be driving that 40 miles for a cup of hot chocolate.

Dang, around here you pass about 40 Starbucks per mile! So I guess I'd have no excuse for not doing my part.

Twmaster
January 24, 2012, 08:04 PM
I'll be getting my 'daily Joe' there too.

While I applaud them for their stance to not interfere with our rights to carry I wonder if they allow their employees to carry in the store?

archigos
January 24, 2012, 08:17 PM
Joined and shared on Facebook. Fantastic idea. Let's show Starbucks how insignificant the anti-rights movement really is.

Rob G
January 24, 2012, 08:19 PM
I don't actually like Starbucks coffee but I do believe in supporting people who support our rights. So I'll go down there on the 14th and find something that I like. I'll also make sure they know why I'm spending my money there.

hso
January 24, 2012, 08:34 PM
I sent this to them.

I've just heard that there's a planned boycott on Feb. 14 by anti 2A groups attempting to punish Starbucks for their decision to follow state and local law instead of changing company policy on law abiding customers carrying firearms legally. While I'm an occasional customer I'll make a point of doing my share to offset any business Starbucks may loose due to this proposed boycott. I'll see to it that my family and I are in Starbucks at least once on Feb. 14.

Thank you for not caving in to the radical beliefs of a small vocal group of marginalized extremists.

mljdeckard
January 24, 2012, 09:15 PM
I also just sent them an email encouraging their business practice of welcoming persons of all stripes who follow the law, and that I will be participating.

9mmepiphany
January 24, 2012, 09:22 PM
I'm a Gold Card member of Starbucks and have sent a similar text to their corporate office. As already stated, the way to show support for a company which doesn't go out of it's way to infringe on our rights is the go get at least one cup of coffee there on the 14th...and mention that you are doing it in response/offset the boycott

2WheelsGood
January 24, 2012, 09:27 PM
I'm a Gold Card member of Starbucks and have sent a similar text to their corporate office.

I'm a gold card member too, and I also sent them a message. Unfortunately I didn't see a way to tie the message to a particular account. I'll admit I spend too much money there, and I love for them to see that when they get the message.

aeriedad
January 24, 2012, 09:33 PM
I left this message at the Starbucks Customer Service comments and questions page:

I read today about an anti-2nd Amendment boycott of Starbucks on Valentine's Day. I understand and respect your decision to not choose sides in this political issue, but I still wish to thank you for not giving in to their pressure. I visit Starbucks once or twice a week anyway, but you can be sure I'll be there on the 14th, and maybe I'll bring a friend or two and spend a little more than usual. Thanks for doing the right thing.

NinjaFeint
January 24, 2012, 09:56 PM
I have no problem with private entities prohibiting arms on their grounds, as long as they post it.

That said, I'll grab an overpriced cup of coffee from the guys who don't restrict me.

k-frame
January 24, 2012, 10:38 PM
"I'll have a venti four-shot latte but hold the primers. It's to-go."

justice06rr
January 25, 2012, 12:12 AM
That sounds like a good day to buy a frappuccino at Starbucks! I normally don't buy expensive coffee, but for this particular reason I'll gladly spend some money there!

A_Matthew
January 25, 2012, 01:29 AM
I'm glad I read about this! I'll make sure that my family and I get down there for some coffee on the 14th! :)

tangomike706
January 25, 2012, 03:30 AM
I'm in . now , i just have to pick which Starbucks to support

Sgt_R
January 25, 2012, 03:55 AM
I'll have to remember to send that Facebook link to my wife when I get off work. Last I checked she had about 200 'friends' on there, and some of 'em drink a lot of coffee. ;)

R

fatcat4620
January 25, 2012, 06:30 PM
I am going to OC at my local.Hope to her all my coworkers as well

Ragnar Danneskjold
January 25, 2012, 08:08 PM
I'm normally a Tim Hortons guy, but I will go out of my way to get something from Starbucks on the boycott day.

blinkjr
January 26, 2012, 12:20 AM
Thanks for making us all aware of this. Here's my post to Starbucks:

I want to say thank you for supporting the laws of the localities where your stores are located, especially those affirming our second amendment rights.

I will be a customer of one of your stores in support of the above on February 14, 2012.

scrat
January 26, 2012, 09:06 PM
Going for sure. They support us so i will support them.

MrM4
January 27, 2012, 12:07 AM
I like my coffee black, so im not big on Starbucks, but I will be ordering a cup from them on the 14th. Any chance to stick it to the antis is worth the cost of a cup of coffee.

Sgt_R
January 27, 2012, 03:56 AM
I like my coffee black, so im not big on Starbucks, but I will be ordering a cup from them on the 14th.

Try the Americano. ;)

R

hso
January 27, 2012, 07:52 AM
Starbuck's sells their coffee beans so even if you don't have time to watch them make coffee for you you can buy theirs and make it yourself.

hso
January 27, 2012, 03:54 PM
Gentlemen,

Activism isn't a discussion forum. That's what Activism Discussion is for. If you position differs broadly on what is appropriate as a form of activism to support RKBA you should have opened a new thread to debate action directed at business. I've done that for you and you'll find your discussion there.

In this particular case, the action being directed at Starbuck's is by a Chicago-based Anti group. Our response is to this group and is to counter their action as opposed to support Starbucks' (which is neutral on the RKBA question).

Snowdog
January 27, 2012, 08:08 PM
I also emailed them concerning this, thanking them for not banning legal concealed carry as policy (I'd imagine it's still up to the franchise owner to have the final say, being America and all).

I, too, promised the purchase of vente and muffin for the wife and I on 2/14 to participate in countering the boycott so long as there isn't a "no concealed carry" sign preventing my patronage.

gloucestergarand
January 28, 2012, 05:32 PM
Interesting reply...
Thank you for contacting Starbucks Coffee Company.

Thank you for your feedback regarding Starbucks' policy on open carry laws.

At Starbucks, we deeply respect the views of our customers and recognize that there is significant and genuine passion surrounding the issue of open carry weapons laws. We comply with local laws and statutes in the communities we serve. Our long-standing approach to this issue remains unchanged and we abide by the laws that permit open carry in 43 U.S. states. Where these laws don't exist, openly carrying weapons in our stores is prohibited.

As the public debate around this issue continues, we encourage customers and advocacy groups from both sides to share their input with their public officials. We are extremely sensitive to the issue of gun violence in our society and believe that supporting local laws is the right way for us to ensure a safe environment for both partners and customers.

If you have any further questions or concerns that I was unable to address, please feel free to let me know.

Warm Regards,

Kelsey F
Customer Relations
Starbucks Coffee Company
800 STARBUC (782-7282)
Monday through Friday, 5AM to 8PM (PST)

777TRUTH
January 29, 2012, 07:42 AM
This ain’t about the cost of a cup of coffee, it’s about the price of freedom.

I like that!

I'll be buying some overpriced battery acid on 2/14!

Caddisflied
January 29, 2012, 06:26 PM
I drive by a Starbucks frequently, but I've never stopped and tried their coffee.
This is a good excuse to check it out.
I'll be there on the 14th!

hso
January 29, 2012, 08:23 PM
BTW, if you don't want to drive to get a cup of coffee you can always buy a bag of beans online at http://www.starbucksstore.com/. Just be sure to place your order on Feb. 14 and make a comment that we respect Starbucks' neutral policy and appreciate their not bowing to pressure from a fringe group trying to have them set national policy outside of local laws.

Oh, the other relevant fact is that his National Gun Victims Action Council was formed in 2010 and is just trying to get attention to make themselves relevant. By taking a public poke at a large company like Starbucks they hope to draw attention.

The best thing we can do is to confound them by quietly seeing to it that Starbucks has a banner day on Feb. 14 and higher sales this Feb. than last Feb. Let the folks at Starbucks know that you're bringing money to them to make sure that crybaby organizations seeking attention like this one don't profit from their behavior and that we appreciate their neutrality. No flashy overt attention seeking behavior on our part should be seen lest we're equated to these fools.

RX-178
January 30, 2012, 04:58 AM
Well count me in.

The coffee's overpriced crap, but some of the tea they carry is pretty good.

JShirley
January 30, 2012, 11:18 AM
Ordered mint cocoa, herb tea, and a coffee maker than can be used to make a single cup of coffee for my special someone. Need some lead time to make it before Valentine's Day!

Dear Starbucks, I heard about Starbucks' stance that they would follow the laws regarding firearms carry applicable to each state, instead of applying some more onerous restriction. I heard that a political group in response has called for a boycott of Starbucks stores on Valentine's day. To support Starbucks' entirely correct stance and resist political extremism, I visited your online store today and placed an order. I will place at least another order in February to show my support. Thanks, John Shirley

ccbricker
January 30, 2012, 01:43 PM
It is good to see everyone jumping on board with this. Starbucks here I come. ;)

fishingman78
February 1, 2012, 07:31 PM
Everyone should keep in mind that the boycott STARTS on February 14th. The National Gun Victims Action Counsel's entire philosophy places economic stress on companies that do not submit to their ideology. They will continue this boycott until either Starbucks changes their policy or the issue is no longer relevant. So, we need to continue our support for Starbucks beyond February 14th, until the boycott is over.

9mmepiphany
February 1, 2012, 08:21 PM
While that may be true, I don't believe their effect will be long lived.

Real Starbucks drinkers won't stay away for very long...it is a culture thing...and if they weren't drinkers before, their boycott will have little economic impact.

This is why a good turnout by pro-2A folks will have an increased impact as a lot of folks going aren't regular customers

Steve Raacke
February 2, 2012, 01:49 AM
Here's an idea I've seen passed around on another forum.
When going to Starbucks to support them on Feb 14, first stop by your local bank branch and swap some of your money (5, 10 or 20 dollar bills) for the more uncommon $2 bills. Spend the 2 dollar bills at the Starbucks and thank them for supporting your Second Amendment rights while paying with those 2 dollar bills. $2 bills=2nd Amendment. It will remind them of the business they received from legal gun owners when they count the register at the end of the shift and see it stuffed with $2 bills.

hso
February 2, 2012, 12:28 PM
Interesting idea, and it can't hurt, but it won't mean a thing to the guy behind the counter and the accountants won't count what denominations were paid to them so it won't "count" towards letting Starbucks know we were there as much as dropping them a note and telling them we appreciate their neutrality.

Hugo
February 2, 2012, 01:01 PM
Also remind your local businesses that the large company Starbucks supports your rights. Then suggest to the other businesses (large or small) that they should do the same and not listen to the hysterical fools.

High Plains Drifter
February 3, 2012, 12:47 AM
Be glad to buy my usual on the 14th. I wonder if the anti gunners are as respective of our right to bear arms? After all, the 2nd Amendment defends the rest, especially their right to free speech.

"An armed man is a Citizen, and unarmed man is a subject!"

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams

hso
February 3, 2012, 10:20 AM
I hear a lot of "I'll spend a couple bucks on a cup of coffee", but I'm not hearing much about how we're spreading this information or getting others to spend a couple bucks on a cup of coffee on the 14th.

What are YOU doing to get others to spend a couple bucks for freedom to confound this crybaby group of antis? Do you have it posted on your Facebook page? Have you sent an explanation of why everyone should show up at Starbucks on the 14th out to your email contact list? Are you buying a bunch of Starbucks gift cards on the 14th and sending them to your anti friends and relatives? What are you doing beyond spending a couple bucks at Starbucks to confound the Antis?

SpecialKalltheway
February 3, 2012, 11:27 AM
I bought my wife a t-shirt from here http://ilovegunsandcoffee.com/ especially in NJ it is a conversation starter for her to talk about what's going on.

asia331
February 5, 2012, 02:11 AM
Already marked the calendar. I consider it a mandatory appointment to support the folks who support my rights.

kenjabroni
February 7, 2012, 12:31 PM
The wife and son love starbucks. Good reason to take the Mrs out and get her the good stuff.

Thanks for posting this.

hso
February 7, 2012, 12:54 PM
I'd make sure to lay in some Starbucks for watching Top Shot on the 14th also.:evil:

parsimonious_instead
February 7, 2012, 01:02 PM
The default position in my area (suburbs of NYC) is anti-gun and pro-Obama and pro-Hillary.
To be honest, I'm not even sure this is an issue of discussion in the Starbucks locations that I frequent, since CCW is fairly rare in my area, and NYS prohibits open carry altogether.
That said, I will pay for my stuff with at least one $2 bill. I'll also put a $2 bill into the "tip jar" so that it can be seen.
And I'm also going to buy ammo that day, too.

beatledog7
February 7, 2012, 01:06 PM
In this particular case, the action being directed at Starbuck's is by a Chicago-based Anti group. Our response is to this group and is to counter their action as opposed to support Starbucks' (which is neutral on the RKBA question).

I respectfully disagree. While we are doing this to oppose the specific anti group, we are also doing it to support Starbucks, specifically. Starbucks may only be neutral on the issue of RKBA, but that's just the point. Neutral is exactly what we need businesses to be, since being neutral means they let their clientele decide.

archigos
February 10, 2012, 11:27 PM
I thought I'd share - Comp-Tac is with us! I just got the following in an email from them:

SUPPORT YOUR SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHTS

Most of you may have heard about a national boycott of Starbucks Coffee on February 14th. The National Gun Victim's Action Council (NGAC) is organizing a national boycott of Starbucks Coffee this Valentine’s Day because Starbucks will not implement an anti-carry policy for their stores.

Instead, Starbucks defers to each location’s state laws thereby allowing CCW permit holders to carry on Starbucks’ premises in states where it is legal to conceal or open carry a firearm. NGAC believes that Starbucks (and other companies taking a similar stance) policy “significantly increases everyone's risk of being a victim of gun violence.”

The NGAC is targeting a company that allows American citizens to exercise their Second Amendment rights. Comp-Tac employees will be given $2.00 bills, representing our Second Amendment, to spend at their local Starbucks on February 14th. We’re asking all of our customers to support your local Starbucks this Valentine’s Day when they will nationally boycotted for supporting our country’s right to bear arms. Be sure to mention why you’re there and thank them for standing up for our amendments.

Sgt_R
February 11, 2012, 03:23 AM
I thought I'd share - Comp-Tac is with us! I just got the following in an email from them:

Very cool. I may have to buy another mag pouch or two from them. :)

R

k-frame
February 11, 2012, 11:40 AM
Good grief.

NGAC believes that Starbucks (and other companies taking a similar stance) policy “significantly increases everyone's risk of being a victim of gun violence.”

On Feb 14 there will be three places that I can think of that will almost certainly have a REDUCED chance of gun-related violence:

1. Police stations
2. US military reservations
3. Any Starbucks store located in an OC state

talldragon
February 11, 2012, 06:51 PM
I took a minute to see the "email (http://gunvictimsaction.org/email-starbucks/)" that has been prepared by NGVAC..:scrutiny:

Bovine Scatology, if you ask me :fire: .

Also, checked out Starbuck's website and found their "neutrality (http://starbucks.tekgroup.com/about+starbucks/myths+facts/)" statement within another article.

Also note: With record earnings of $3.4 billion worldwide in the first weeks of 2012, I doubt they are intimidated by ngvac :rolleyes:

I will continue to support Starbuck's, as well as any business who will at the very least remain neutral with regards to 2A and RKBA.

DePury
February 13, 2012, 06:55 PM
I will be buying coffee and two 10.00 Gift Cards, all on separate purchases. That will create three transactions and cover me for my next 4 random visits, but will be reflected in tomorrows numbers.

hso
February 13, 2012, 07:08 PM
I picked up a dozen $2 bills today just on the off chance that the counter clerk asks about my paying the bill in twos.

I showed the twos to the clerk today at Krogers/Starbucks and she snorted and shook her head when I explained that a anti group in Chicago was calling on a boycott of Starbucks starting tomorrow and it had triggered an anti-anti anti-boycott (a buycott?) amongst us in support of Starbucks maintaining a neutral stance. She said, "See ya tomorrow!".

bikerdoc
February 13, 2012, 10:31 PM
Im retired but the wife and I work p/t at a LGS.

Surprise!!! Boss said since we open at ten we are all to meet him at the Starbucks near the store for coffee on him at 9!!!!

Figure 8 people will go, all have CCW permits, but since OC is legal in VA we will OC.

ActionJax
February 13, 2012, 10:44 PM
I will be OCing to Starbucks tomorrow. Instead of my usual pocket concealed 380, I'll wear the Sig P229 in an OWB holster. I'll dress nice so people don't think I'm a bum, explain to the manager WHY I am coming in, drink my coffee in the store instead of on the run, and sit so that the traffic can clearly see my strong side. NOT to make a big deal of it, but to normalize the whole process. I also sent Starbucks a nice email, and got this (VERY lovely) response :

Thank you for contacting Starbucks.

Thank you for your feedback regarding Starbucks' policy on open carry laws. I am truly happy to hear that you support and appreciate our gun policy!

At Starbucks, we deeply respect the views of our customers and recognize that there is significant and genuine passion surrounding the issue of open carry weapons laws. We comply with local laws and statutes in the communities we serve. Our long-standing approach to this issue remains unchanged and we abide by the laws that permit open carry in 43 U.S. states. Where these laws don't exist, openly carrying weapons in our stores is prohibited.

As the public debate around this issue continues, we encourage customers and advocacy groups from both sides to share their input with their public officials. We are extremely sensitive to the issue of gun violence in our society and believe that supporting local laws is the right way for us to ensure a safe environment for both partners and customers.

Hope to see you in our stores on February 14th! Thanks again for your support and have a beautiful day!

CHALK22
February 13, 2012, 10:51 PM
I just recieved a Starbucks gift card for Valentine's day, and guess when I am gonna go use it?! You got that right!. Drop the kid off at daycare, and head to the local Brick & Mortar Starbucks. Probably bring the computer, so I can sit and stay a while. Come to think of it, I think I have a $2 bill or two in the safe as well...

hso
February 13, 2012, 11:20 PM
The objective isn't to draw attention to ourselves, but to confound the Antis who want to make an issue of Starbucks' policy. The best way we can do that is to give Starbucks so much additional business that they see increased receipts instead of any reduction.

Inviting attention to us isn't the point.

hso
February 14, 2012, 12:09 AM
No, Starbucks has very good estimates on their holiday business projections since they're a very well run restaurant business and if we increase the numbers above their holiday estimates they'll know that something happened. The something is that they lost no business due to the people calling for a boycott.

This isn't a matter of us wanting to be seen doing the right thing, but a matter of doing the right thing. The numbers will tell the only story that actually matters to Starbucks, not some T-shirt.

Zombiphobia
February 14, 2012, 12:52 AM
I don't care for their coffee, and I find their food items to be sub-par, but I suppose I can grab something tomorrow and leave a friendly note on the receipt

Serenity
February 14, 2012, 12:56 AM
Try the dark chocolate covered graham crackers that are for sale by the register.

2ndAmFan
February 14, 2012, 01:00 AM
I emailed them days ago and got a pretty nice reply. Already promised my daughter I'd take her over to Starbucks after school tomorrow and buy her one of the whipped cream laden drinks she likes from there. Might have a cup of coffee myself.

TyGuy
February 14, 2012, 01:21 AM
See you there!

talldragon
February 14, 2012, 01:51 AM
I will be there in the early AM for a brewed coffee.
I enjoy the "Komodo Dragon" blend. I usually order a "tall"...... 'Dragon :neener:
That is my name, after all :)
I sent email support to corporate as well.
I may swing by after work for another beverage as well.......Tuxedo mocha is one of my fav's :D

bhesler
February 14, 2012, 09:10 AM
I think my mocha tasted better this morning because I'm in NYC. Not carrying of course, but supporting Starbucks anyway.

gfanikf
February 14, 2012, 09:17 AM
I think my mocha tasted better this morning because I'm in NYC. Not carrying of course, but supporting Starbucks anyway.

I'm looking forward to a chocolate smoothie myself in NYC today.

Sgt_R
February 14, 2012, 09:30 AM
My local Starbucks seemed to be doing a brisk trade this morning, but I spent a bit more than usual anyway. I may stop by on the way home as well.

R

parsimonious_instead
February 14, 2012, 09:45 AM
Question for THR readers doing this in normally anti-gun areas like NJ and lower NYS - how are the staff reacting?
I haven't gotten over to a Starbucks today, but I'm primed with a batch of $2 bills.

Oh, to THR - Happy Valentine's Day!

In the spirit of that day, as a still-single guy, I'd like to say, "guns are better then women - cheaper to feed and easier to unjam!"

Sgt_R
February 14, 2012, 09:53 AM
In the spirit of that day, as a still-single guy, I'd like to say, "guns are better then women - cheaper to feed and easier to unjam!"

As a married guy, I'd have to agree... just don't tell my wife! ;)

R

hso
February 14, 2012, 10:40 AM
My daughter and I stopped on the way to school and both paid with $2s. My wife will stop on the way to the clinic and pay with $2s as well. That's 3 people that don't normally get Starbucks paying with $2s today at 2 different locations.

tyeo098
February 14, 2012, 10:50 AM
Stopped in on my way to work this morning... Evidence of my slacking off in the background!

But this Chai Tea is pretty good!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4yq1OcSkLxc/Tzp0baF_uDI/AAAAAAAADC0/-UOFcHzJ6FE/s722/12+-+1

Rontherunner
February 14, 2012, 11:00 AM
Enjoying my Verona dark coffee and veggie sandwich from Starbucks this morning more than ever. No sign of boycotters or any drop in business here.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

VegasAR15
February 14, 2012, 11:19 AM
Kind of a pain getting the $2 bills, but I'll be going at least once today. Hopefully there will be some antis there to chat with, maybe I'll even buy an anti a cup of coffee. Also posted on my facebook, and submitted a few article and blog links to the Drudge Report. If you have time, you should do the same on Drudge, there is a box on the right side of the page to submit news.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t181/kulryan/IMG_1600-1.jpg

newbuckeye
February 14, 2012, 11:25 AM
There seemed to be some 2A supporters lurking this morning when I went into the Starbucks on the PA turnpike. At $6 for a drink, I skipped the $2 muffin (don't need it anyway)....

hogshead
February 14, 2012, 11:41 AM
Liked them on fb then they supported gay marriage in Washington state. So I won't be supporting them' but it doesn't really matter cause the closest one to me is over an hour away.

Archaic
February 14, 2012, 11:49 AM
Grande Cafe Americano and a big slab of Banana bread

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o43/archaic1971/IMG-20120214-00172.jpg

Mine was the only $2, but it was early and Texarkana is not a big town.

CHALK22
February 14, 2012, 12:21 PM
Missoula, Montana checking in! Grande Mocha w/whip, my SOP. I figured I would be the only one here, as I don't think the college kids or the UPS driver are carrying......I don't usually sit and stay, but I got laid off on friday for a bit, so I got nuthin' but time!

Forgot my $2 bill, though. Oh well, I guess my daughter will get it when she loses her first tooth!

Larry Ashcraft
February 14, 2012, 01:35 PM
Had my first ever cup of Starbucks this morning. The crowd certainly didn't look like gunnies, but some could have been.

I stopped at the southside Starbucks, and my wife stopped at the northside one.

gfanikf
February 14, 2012, 01:45 PM
Grande Cafe Americano and a big slab of Banana bread

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o43/archaic1971/IMG-20120214-00172.jpg

Mine was the only $2, but it was early and Texarkana is not a big town.
I think the Creature From Boggy Creek doesn't get up these day's till around noon.;)

KarenTOC
February 14, 2012, 02:10 PM
I stopped going to Starbucks a while back when I discovered McDonald's cheap "senior coffee" (decent, and only 59cents). However, to support them today in the face of the boycott, I went to a Starbucks and waited in line for a tall dark roast redeye. There were people behind me, so I didn't really have a chance to explain my purpose. They were pretty busy, so I guess the boycott isn't doing much harm.

I have to go out again this evening, so I'll get another redeye then, even though I'll end up awake half the night with caffeine jitters :)

RX-178
February 14, 2012, 02:15 PM
Just got back from Starbucks as I type this. The closest Starbucks is less than a mile away, so I walked there and back.

Got a box of that Tazo green tea that they carry, for $6.95.

Derek Zeanah
February 14, 2012, 02:24 PM
Did my part.

Starbucks coffee still tastes burned, though.

sawdeanz
February 14, 2012, 02:35 PM
Wouldn't normally splurge, but I'm gonna by a second cup of coffee today! The first one was because I was tired.

RevolvingGarbage
February 14, 2012, 02:45 PM
Got my favorite from them, A Venti Caramel Frappuchino. It didn't survive the ride back to work though! I was concealed carrying both my usual 5" 1911, and also my stone-age BUG.

They got an extra tip, but honestly it had more to do with the cute girl taking my order than it did with them supporting my RTKBA :)

beatledog7
February 14, 2012, 02:47 PM
Virginia Beach. Don't know if there are other 2A supporters, but no evidence of a boycott. Place is hopping.

svtruth
February 14, 2012, 02:52 PM
Bought a gift card as a Valentine's gift for my wife. she'll enjoy that more than chocolates.

Resist Evil
February 14, 2012, 02:52 PM
I went to my nearest Starbucks this morning after dropping my wife off at work instead of her riding the bus as she normally does because she's my Valentine. I wore my Gadsden snake cap and bought a tall coffee americano. $2.11 out the door. The place was doing a good business. There were more pickup trucks and Jeeps in the parking lot than I might have expected.

I buy a Starbucks at random about once a year usually, but this year, with today's purchase, I'm up to twice.

I posted to Starbucks' Facebook page stating the reason for my visit today.

hso
February 14, 2012, 03:30 PM
Ya'll don't have to buy coffee. The lemon pound cake is pretty nice.;)

gfanikf
February 14, 2012, 03:45 PM
Got a Skim Double Chocolaty Chip Frap. Being NYC it was $5.93. I just wish I could have communicated my support, since I had to pay with debit.

RX-178
February 14, 2012, 03:47 PM
An update on my purchase.

Turns out there's actual tea leaves in this tea I got, instead of just tea dust.

That impressed me.

parsimonious_instead
February 14, 2012, 03:59 PM
Paid for my coffee with a $2 bill, and left a $2 bill in the clear plastic "tip box" so other patrons could see it.
I have some more $2 bills, so I'll use them tomorrow, or the next day, or the next...

VegasAR15
February 14, 2012, 04:21 PM
I just got my $5 coffee in Las Vegas. Saw two other groups OCing.

larry237
February 14, 2012, 04:55 PM
I bought a bag of ground coffee, in Arvada, CO, at Starbucks, and paid with cash, including a $2 bill. The employees weren't aware of this effort and seemed to appreciate it when I explained the reason. A small gesture, but maybe it will help.

harrygunner
February 14, 2012, 05:18 PM
Just got back from buying a large coffee.

Carne Frio
February 14, 2012, 05:32 PM
I got back, an hour ago, after buying a pound of beans.:D

Ryanxia
February 14, 2012, 05:50 PM
I didn't make it to Starbucks today them being kinda far away but glad to see others did.

hso
February 14, 2012, 05:51 PM
Remember to stick to the facts and take the high road in dealing with antis.

It confuses them to see we're more civil and mature than they are. Heck, you may get one to go shooting and convert them!

Kaeto
February 14, 2012, 06:02 PM
I was there today and there were no antis to be seen.

shootniron
February 14, 2012, 06:10 PM
I didn't go as there is not one within less than 50mi of my house. But, it did make the Atlanta Journal today...

http://blogs.ajc.com/business-beat/2012/02/14/lovers-and-gun-lovers-at-starbucks/?cxntfid=blogs_business_beat

nosmr2
February 14, 2012, 06:52 PM
My wife and I stopped by on the way to work this morning, made us late, but oh well. If there was a boycott going on you would never know. It was as busy as usual.

docnyt
February 14, 2012, 07:04 PM
Did my part. Seemed to be business as usual. Didn't have time to explain my reason for buying. There didn't seem to be any managers anyway.

ActionJax
February 14, 2012, 07:05 PM
Strolled in carry my P229 OWB for all to see. Felt weird, as I always carry a 380 in the pocket, where I forget about it. Took in the email I got from corporate (see earlier post), and explained to them why I was there. They were very nice. Sat in plain view -- no one seemed to notice that I was carrying; certainly no one stared or commented.

As it should be.

beatledog7
February 14, 2012, 08:05 PM
...no one seemed to notice that I was carrying; certainly no one stared or commented.

I was OC-ing a 5 1/2" Redhawk and wearing an NRA ballcap. Nobody batted an eye. I actually felt invisible. The experience validated for me what a lot of people say, that if you think everybody knows you're CC-ing, you're wrong.

Caddisflied
February 14, 2012, 08:11 PM
Thanks for spreading the word about this boycott.
I stopped at Starbucks twice today and got some of their dark roast .... good stuff.
Much better than the shoe polish I brew at home.

guyfromohio
February 14, 2012, 08:12 PM
Bought coffee for the office today. They were busier than normal. I'd like nothing more than for them to post record sales today.

XxBulletBendeRXx
February 14, 2012, 08:16 PM
Just returned from a local starbucks and they didnt know what I was talking about. not a single 2 dollar bill had been seen all day. :what:

Carter
February 14, 2012, 08:45 PM
In starbucks right now. Place is pretty busy. Their green tea isn't half bad.

ACP
February 14, 2012, 08:54 PM
First thing this morning, bought a medium coffee, asked to speak to the manager, congratulated her on Starbuck's 2nd Amendment-friendly policy, asked her to pass my compliments on to corporate, left a $2 bill as a tip for her and her staff.

Suburban Redneck
February 14, 2012, 09:02 PM
Stopped in the local Starbuck's today, my bi-annual visit. Seemed like business as usual, bought 2 coffees.

coolluke01
February 14, 2012, 09:28 PM
Talked to the local barista about the boycott. She didn't know anything about it. I had my G26 in my IWB holster without a cover garment. This is the first time i've ever OC'd. Felt a little strange but I didn't get any attention that I could see.
How positive? I don't know. It wasn't negative so that's a good thing!

threefeathers
February 14, 2012, 11:41 PM
40 bucks there today.

SkyDaver
February 15, 2012, 12:00 AM
I don't really like Starbucks coffee, and since I work at home, it's a minor PITA to go out to Starbucks, but I made the trip today, and told the clerk why I was there.

Open Carry, with a dark shirt and a stainless 1911, for maximum visibility :-)

armoredman
February 15, 2012, 12:13 AM
Wow, that was good coffee! We did our part today to support Starbucks, and made sure the employees knew why. They had obviously heard it already and just smiled without real comment.
The wife had a strawberry shake style thing that she fell in love with, and I had a simple coffee with cream, GOOD coffee!

icanthitabarn
February 15, 2012, 01:05 AM
Well forums say to buy this or that gun, learn to reload, and buy better belts and now go to Starbucks. I did, no males there, but me. That goes for firearms too. I was hoping to OC for first time. :p

UpTheIrons
February 15, 2012, 01:40 AM
Took the family by this evening. Hot cocoa for the kids, decaf for me (had my daily allotment of caffeine already), and a caramel macchiato (whatever that is) for the missus. Red velvet whoopie pies (VERY tasty!) all around rounded out the evening.

The manager was aware of their policy, but didn't know about the boycott or the "buy"cott. They did mention that it was a bit busier than usual.

Hypnogator
February 15, 2012, 01:54 AM
Did my part. Took SWMBO to Starbucks for two Venti Lattes.

ArfinGreebly
February 15, 2012, 02:08 AM
Coeur d'Alene, up North Idaho way.

Late in the day, 20 oz Americano with cream.

No time to discuss it with the bartender lass, she was dashing about.

Paid too much, quality was okay, service was good.

I don't normally go there, but once I told the wife, she insisted. Even waited patiently while I stood in line.

No sixteen-bit bills, used plastic.

Just another drop in the bucket of support.

talldragon
February 15, 2012, 09:18 AM
Going in yesterday, it seemed busier than normal. The staff working had no idea about the boycott or the "buy"cott.

I didn't have time to explain it all, but I synopsized the situation to them before I left.

Also, many patrons I did not recognize (I am a regular at this particular location). I recognized the duty-uniform pants and they had the customary "off-duty" oversize shirts...:scrutiny::cool:. I said nothing to them, as I did not want to "out" them as LEO's :eek:.
I
interesting effect this has had.....It will be more so as we go forward; as the boycott will continue according to it's originators :fire:.

Kaeto
February 15, 2012, 09:56 AM
At the store here there were two of us open carrying when a local cop came in. He didn't even give us a second look, and I doubt he missed seeing at least my gun on my hip. I had my .455 Webley Mk VI in a hand tooled leather holster.

armoredman
February 15, 2012, 10:11 AM
Kaeto, coudja post a pic of that one?

Any word from the antis on how well their boycott "hurt" Starbucks? :D

Kaeto
February 15, 2012, 11:00 AM
Here ya go. :D

Grayrock
February 15, 2012, 11:20 AM
That Mark VI looks like it's in pretty good shape.

Kaeto
February 15, 2012, 11:33 AM
It is. I usually keep it in a WW II issue web holster with it's cleaning rod so the leather don't cause rust.

cooldek
February 15, 2012, 01:45 PM
I haven't herd anything about the boycott on the brady webpage. Even a search about it does not bring up anything even the campang pages they had up before the 14th.

But it does say on the action page "enough is enough what we are doing now isin't working"

Derek Zeanah
February 15, 2012, 01:48 PM
I saw someone on CNBC about an hour ago who claims this is an "ongoing" boycott.

We'll see.

(He was from some anti-gun org I've never heard of. Kept talking about the "NRA's lethal gun agenda" or some such.)

mgmorden
February 15, 2012, 02:42 PM
I actually drove 30 minutes out of my way yesterday to buy a Mocha Latté. Had my carry piece on my of course. Unfortunately I didn't plan it out far enough ahead to have any $2 bills:

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-0UaKKcG_cH4/Tzv7iBzit9I/AAAAAAAAAxo/eqN_qs4R6lY/s800/starbucks_lcp.jpg

powell&hyde
February 15, 2012, 02:48 PM
Here are 2 links to the anti-gun protesters.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Anti-Gun-Group-Boycotting-Starbucks-139304753.html

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/2012/01/anti-gun-protestors-target-starbucks-allowing-guns

hso
February 15, 2012, 02:49 PM
Congrats on the protest everybody! Thanks for making our boycott counter such a rousing success.

I don't think there's any reason to jumping up and down and giving high fives since we have no way to know what real impact the Chicago Anti groups call for a boycott or our counter effort may or may not have had. Starbucks won't be saying and our real impact will be only known to them.

OTOH, we should be pointing out whenever there's some media outlet providing a forum, pro2A groups are happy to confound silly Anti2A group's when they call for a boycott of a business that doesn't discriminate against law abiding citizens complying with the law. Our "elevator speech" should be, "Anit2A groups have no basis for their scare tactics and lies and have become shrill marginalized extremists groups as their ridiculous claims have been proven to be false. Violent crime rates have fallen while gun sales increase. No "wild west" shootouts have occurred while shall issue carry states have grown to become the majority. Law abiding people don't suddenly become demonically possessed by firearms to become crazed mass murderers."

A_Matthew
February 15, 2012, 05:35 PM
Yesterday, I bought a latte, $10 gift card, and my dad bought a brownie. I also left a $2 bill as a tip.

rhodco
February 15, 2012, 06:10 PM
Went there... did that... spent my 2 dollar bill.

talldragon
February 16, 2012, 12:52 AM
Checked in with the manager of my local Starbuck's and he said there was a "serious uptick" in sales for Valentine's day. He had no idea about the boycott or the "buy"cott. Forgot to ask him if he saw any additional $2 bills roll in that day :o .
I'll ask tomorrow :) .

Adamsstreet
February 16, 2012, 01:20 AM
I sent my secretary to Starbucks for drinks for everyone in my wifes office, set me back 40 bucks, and I don't care a bit. They think I'm the super nice hubby, I supported my gun habit......... all is good

Carl N. Brown
February 16, 2012, 06:49 AM
Bought a 16 oz coffee coffee (pretty good and strong) for myself and a mocha for my wife. The local Starbucks was busy the 14th of Feb 2012. I asked my wife what she thought of the coffee. She opined it was good but she like Chef Brown's wunnerful morning coffee better. Can't ask for a better Valentine's present than that.

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top_stories/story/Boycott-against-Starbucks-over-gun-laws/4GKuUIHjkU6_HZ1yYa00wA.cspx
"Boycott against Starbucks over gun laws", SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (ABC 4 News)
The group said it would not by[sic] any products from the chain until they eliminate the risk of guns in public places.
15 Feb 2012 abc4.com Comments include the claim that NGAC is a Joyce Foundation sockpuppet, that Starbucks was not hardly aware of the boycott, but ''the "buycott" of gun rights supporters has swamped Starbucks with customers.''

http://gunvictimsaction.org/email-starbucks/
National Gun Victims Action Council (NGAC)

Talks like it's 14 million.

Puts out an email press release campaign "NGAC Launches BREW NOT BULLETS: SAY NO TO STARBUCKS…UNTIL STARBUCKS SAYS NO TO GUNS."

Wanna bet its like AHSA: astroturf website by a hardcore of anti activists pretending to be a grassroots organization, but no actual membership?

The group that said it would not buy any products from Starbucks until they eliminate legal guns from the stores is probably a Joyce Foundation fund sponge and his secretary who typed the press release. Got me thinking, anyone heard from Powtowmack Institute since Gilbert Ernest McGill (pseudonym: G. Eyclesheimer Ernst) failed to find a lawyer willing to rewrite into coherent English his Amicus Curiae for the McDonald case pro bono?

RX-178
February 16, 2012, 07:42 AM
According to the usual sources (...Okay, a Google News search), on Wednesday the 15th, after the start of the boycott (and buycott), Starbucks once again released a statement that they were going to allow carry where permitted by local laws, and that they believed following local laws was the best way to maintain the safest possible environment for their customers.

Manson
February 16, 2012, 09:07 AM
I am both happy and proud to hear about all the great folks who went out on the 14th in support of Starbucks. I don't usually get there much as we don't have one in my town. On the 14th I drove to the next city north and the nearest Starbucks. Spoke to the Manager about the boycott and she said business was much better than a normal Tuesday.

Jonzer77
February 16, 2012, 05:55 PM
I went into my local starbucks and the employees had no idea about the boycott but did say that they were unusually busy that day :)

I bought a coffee, coffee cake and a $20 giftcard for my gf as part of her gift.

Ian Johnson
February 16, 2012, 10:59 PM
drove down to take my girlfriend out to dinner on valentines day(goes to a different college) and afterwards she asked me if I knew about the starbucks thing, so we both went and bought coffee with $2 bills

SkyDaver
February 16, 2012, 11:27 PM
OTOH, we should be pointing out whenever there's some media outlet providing a forum, pro2A groups are happy to confound silly Anti2A group's when they call for a boycott of a business that doesn't discriminate against law abiding citizens complying with the law. Our "elevator speech" should be, "Anit2A groups have no basis for their scare tactics and lies and have become shrill marginalized extremists groups as their ridiculous claims have been proven to be false. Violent crime rates have fallen while gun sales increase. No "wild west" shootouts have occurred while shall issue carry states have grown to become the majority. Law abiding people don't suddenly become demonically possessed by firearms to become crazed mass murderers."

I'm stealing that elevator speech!

Over on Google+, I mentioned my Starbucks visit. One person in my circles (an e-quaintance from another list) asked me to uncircle him, because of that update. I am still in communication with him, and I'm going to drop that when appropriate.

mljdeckard
February 17, 2012, 03:27 AM
So I went, and got my Frappucino and a crumbly blueberry struessel, and they were really busy, so I pulled the barrista over and asked her; "Are one of you guys the manager?" She thought she was in trouble, I told her, "I just wanted to make sure you know, there is an anti-gun group trying to boycott Starbucks, and I am here in response to that."

I don't think she understood a single word of it. Oh well, I tried. I guess it'snot a big deal in Utah. :D

Axel Larson
February 17, 2012, 01:47 PM
I have been sick for the past three+ days but I did order some mint syrup online and sent an email to Starbucks and they responded very fast and courteously.
I know Starbucks can't show if their sales went up or down but it would be really cool to know they went up.

gavelwacker
February 17, 2012, 10:57 PM
I live over 30 miles away from the nearest Starbucks. Drive there anyway and had a coffee & an expensive muffin.
Made sure the manager knew why I was there.
The place looked busy as hell to me!

TyGuy
February 18, 2012, 11:01 AM
I had to drive an hour to be able to carry while drinking my coffee, but I did it.

GEM
February 18, 2012, 11:57 AM
I know people who work there as baristas. They had no idea of the issue and thought that if a customer started foaming pro or antigun, the wage slaves would think they are nuts. Foam is for your drink, not from your mouth. Haha!

Much ado about nothing.

jackpinesavages
February 18, 2012, 01:10 PM
Unfortunately, yes, much ado about nothing. I took my money to an Armorer's 2 day class, within that day. Never saw a Starbucks.

Got back to the office and copied the Armorer's Manual for some co-workers who were curious about my 2 days off. Activism.

Black Butte
February 18, 2012, 04:05 PM
Starbucks should have just announced a special on February 14 and denied those boycotting from affecting any loss in sales. Some of the coffee swillers, I'm sure, would have even caved on their own boycott to take advantage of the savings.

doc540
February 18, 2012, 07:37 PM
I sent an email to Starbucks regarding 2nd Amendment issues.

Here's their reply: (emphasis mine)
"Dear Doc,

Thank you for your feedback regarding Starbucks' policy on open carry laws.

Sincerely,

Matthew

customer service"

That's what I call a hit and a miss.:D

parsimonious_instead
February 19, 2012, 03:38 PM
Starbucks should have just announced a special on February 14 and denied those boycotting from affecting any loss in sales. Some of the coffee swillers, I'm sure, would have even caved on their own boycott to take advantage of the savings.

When someone says, "I will never call, write, email, etc. again" - they will eventually make contact.

When someone says, "I will never shop at your store again" you can usually bank on them returning at some point, regardless of the original reason.

The ones that quietly walk away, without explanation, are the ones that almost never come back.

mljdeckard
February 20, 2012, 03:26 PM
I still regard this as a plus for our side. If the only thing that most Starbucks managers and employees knew about the action was what WE told them, that is a win. Some of the managers were prompted to make some phone calls and do some homework, and were better educated as a result. We had more positive impact than the boycott had in NEGATIVE impact.

csspecs
February 20, 2012, 06:40 PM
I went there with the wife and had a coffee... Asked if it was busy or light, girl said they had seen a lot of guys with camo in there for some odd reason...

I don't really like starbucks but their response is pretty much that they have decided to not decide. Which is what companies should do.

2ndAmFan
February 20, 2012, 09:47 PM
I have 2 Starbucks fairly close to my house. I'll be visiting them more now than I would have before. Coffee isn't bad either.

Pistola
February 21, 2012, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll get an $8 cup on the 14th.

2WheelsGood
February 21, 2012, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll get an $8 cup on the 14th.
Have you looked at a calendar lately? :)

Xiphoticness
February 21, 2012, 09:25 PM
As one of us with a CCW on the inside, I wanted to thank all of you for supporting Starbucks in this issue. I'm just a lowly barista so don't take this as in any way representing the views, opinions, etc. of the corporation, this is from me as an individual. If Starbucks were to change this policy I would be changing my job, and I told my manager this when we heard about the boycott. I will say it stimulated some discussion in my store and I think most of our partners were on the positive side, though a few raised questions of "what do people need a gun here for?" and other such questions. Just a result of the general ignorance of the population really. Anyway, thank you all for the support and keep it up. I appreciate it and the rest of us in the company who agree with me do as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Suport Starbucks on Feb. 14th" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!