Where To Find Actions For Custom Guns

PDA

Grubby
January 30, 2012, 11:08 PM
Hello,
I am looking at building a custom gun with a factory action. Where would be the best place to find them for around $200. Also which are the best? I know the Remington 700's and Sako's are very good actions, but they aren't cheap :mad:.

If you enjoyed reading about "Where To Find Actions For Custom Guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Robert
January 30, 2012, 11:11 PM
for around $200.
Nowhere that I know of. Most of the ones I know of, CZ, Rem and such start arounf $400 or $500. Might take a look at a Savage. Check Brownells and see what they have. What are you looking to build?

Fat_46
January 30, 2012, 11:15 PM
Custom will almost never equal cheap. You can look for a Stevens 200 action, but honestly, by the time you replace the trigger, get the locking lugs trued, and install a faster lock-time bolt/spring/etc you're looking at another few hundred dollars.

You may be better off looking for the caliber you want in a barreled action, and "customize" the stock.

WNTFW
January 30, 2012, 11:17 PM
Most actions sold by themselves cost as much as rifle. One option is to buy a used rifle as a donor rifle. Savage sells actions. It just depend on what you want and budget.

Robert
January 30, 2012, 11:18 PM
Even the Savage actions are running $500 to $600 depending on where you look. You might try Gunbroker, you may get lucky. You never know...

Buying a doner rifle might not be a bad idea. Get an old beat up bubba'd K98 and salvage the action.

I know the Remington 700's and Sako's are very good actions, but they aren't cheap
If you think those are pricey check out Dakota or Big Horn or Surgeon.

Grubby
January 30, 2012, 11:38 PM
What I mean by "Custom Rifle" is just building my own rifle. Putting a different barrel chambered in oddball caliber in it (6.5-06 AI for this one) and stocking it.

Robert
January 30, 2012, 11:40 PM
It might be cheaper to buy a Savage 110? in 30-06 and a new barrel. The barrel swap is fairly simple from what I can tell on Savage rifles. And it will be less than a true "custom" action.

USSR
January 31, 2012, 08:06 AM
...buy a used rifle as a donor rifle.

That's how it's usually done. I built two this way, and after selling off all the parts of the donor rifle except the action, the cost of the action to me was $200 - $250.

Don

kaferhaus
January 31, 2012, 09:03 AM
I used to build them that way. Then decided it was not only cheaper but saved me a lot of time just to buy whatever I wanted used.... Maybe for a newbie it's "fun" to build your own, but I'd rather spend that time shooting.

BrocLuno
January 31, 2012, 11:32 AM
Mostly available in the used racks :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Where To Find Actions For Custom Guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!