Ruger sp101 dao hammer

PDA

Revolver Ocelot
January 31, 2012, 10:08 AM
I want to get a dao hammer for my 3" sp101. I've called ruger, they siad they can install one for about 100 bucks but I'd rather not be with out my main ccw gun any longer than I have to and they want 100 bucks to do it.

I'm hoping someone may know of a site somewhere where I might be able to pick one up.

Thanks everyone for whatever help you may be able to give me.

Note: I've considered just getting it bobbed but I just like the look of the factory dao hammer a little better, and I have tried using the search function but sp101 dao hammer and similar searches bring up countless threads, none of which seem to be what I'm looking for :o

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger sp101 dao hammer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ghost Tracker
January 31, 2012, 10:26 AM
The Ruger factory DAO hammer for the SP101 doesn't have a SA notch so, once installed, the revolver CAN'T be fired SA. It (sort of) makes sense because there's no spur on which to hold as you thumb the hammer back down to de-cock the revolver from SA cock. IMHO, that's the only problem with a bob-job. That SA notch is still on the hammer but the safest way to lower the hammer is tiny or gone. Will Ruger not just SELL you their DAO hammer & let you install it? It's easy to do. Or call Gemini Customs in Frankfort, Ky. They're SP101 gurus and might have a suggestion (or two).

Revolver Ocelot
January 31, 2012, 10:39 AM
ruger will not sell me the part, I begged as politely as I could without sacrificing my dignity but to no avail :o . I planned on sending it to gemini in the near future as a sort of post deployment gift to myself but I'd like to have the factory dao hammer, it just looks nicer imo. I had heard people say in the past that there are places that sell this part but they are few and far between as ruger tends to not let such parts slip out without being installed on a gun.

Ghost Tracker
January 31, 2012, 11:07 AM
Ruger is getting even MORE lawyered-up! They used to be pretty good about selling revolver parts to non-gunsmith individuals, centerfire autoloading pistol parts weren't available even then. Now I guess it's all back to them or simply do without. And Ruger has NEVER "let parts slip out". They're as tight as a gnat's butt over a door knob when it comes to tuned or non-stock internal parts leaving in a gun after a trip back to the factory. I'm out of suggestions Brother. Send the gun, write the check, you'll forget all those details once you have what you want.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger sp101 dao hammer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!