How many of you rifle owners have never killed anything with it?

PDA

twofourthree73
January 31, 2012, 08:09 PM
I wonder sometimes with some of the newer gun owners how many guys out there now have never shot any game with their rifle. Hunting is becoming less and less popular in many areas and there just aren't the opportunities to shoot game if the only place some folks have to shoot is at the range.

Just curious. Every one of my rifles has a kill or two. Some of them, (.22's mostly) have hundreds.

If you enjoyed reading about "How many of you rifle owners have never killed anything with it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TurtlePhish
January 31, 2012, 08:11 PM
I've never been hunting, but I'd really like to get a license and go. So far all my shooting's been at the range.

greyling22
January 31, 2012, 08:11 PM
me. if I kill it then I have to clean and eat it. a burrito is less work.

303tom
January 31, 2012, 08:32 PM
Now thats a hard one beings 95% of my collection is Battle Rifles........

Moose1995
January 31, 2012, 08:37 PM
Never used any of my varmint rifles or any others for anything but target shooting. The only thing I ever shoot with them is paper. However, when I do need varmint control on my property (since it is illegal to shoot firearms in my area) I use my tried and true rws 34 break barrel air rifle. I have dozens of kills with that, ranging from chipmunks to rabbits.

huntsman
January 31, 2012, 08:45 PM
since my only rifle is the model 63 that I grew up with I can answer YES ;)

Kush
January 31, 2012, 08:49 PM
I haven't ever gone hunting, there is always something that keeps me from going, such as moving or realizing that hunting in the state that I'm in would probably be the scariest experience ever if people hunt as stupidly as they drive(with state laws having no magazine restrictions while hunting and I could just see some of the people here spraying 20-30 rounds at a deer.) My mosin nagant may have been used to kill something though being from 1942 and being pretty worn.

firesky101
January 31, 2012, 08:50 PM
I have never harvested game, but done quite a bit of pest control. Most of my rifles have participated in that, It is amazing what a Mosin will do to a ground squirrel.

precisionrifle14
January 31, 2012, 08:52 PM
3 of my rifles don't have kills, but only because I haven't hunted with them yet

Robert
January 31, 2012, 08:55 PM
Oddly enough I have not taken anything with my hunting rifle but have taken varmints with my AR, K98 and my brother's SL8-1.

o Unforgiven o
January 31, 2012, 08:57 PM
Who voted I don't believe in killing things? :scrutiny:

All of my guns have killed something, only a few have ever killed game I have harvested.

kennedy
January 31, 2012, 09:00 PM
I don`t hunt even though I love the taste of wild game, I have been in the grocery business for many years so I see the meat dept every day. I also process deer in the fall during deer season.

HoosierQ
January 31, 2012, 09:00 PM
I don't much enjoy hunting but, in principle and "officially" I am all for it...just don't care a lot for it myself. On the other hand, living in the country, stuff has got to be dealt with on a halfway regular basis...varmints, pests, feral dogs, etc...all of which I deal with, when necessary, in the most humane and effective way...a well placed shot. For me it is not fun, just necessary.

steven58
January 31, 2012, 09:32 PM
I live in PA and while we generally have decent gun laws some of our hunting laws are eccentric. We are not allowed to hunt with a semi auto rifle or pistol. So (unfortunately) none of my semi autos have killed any game.

Other than that, I have a habit of taking any firearm I buy out hunting at least once. Besides being a fun way to get good food, seeing what a particular firearm /ammo combo does to real meat is very enlightening.

alman
January 31, 2012, 09:34 PM
No kills . Just love shooting guns . Nothing against hunting , just never felt the urge ......

Bojangles7
January 31, 2012, 09:45 PM
I've only taken one deer so far, and I'm sure the next time I go I'll use the same rifle. Most of my rifles are current/former military rifles that I enjoy shooting at the range and wouldn't hunt with unless I had no other choice. However, I would shoot hogs, possums, and other pests with any of my rifles. I guess I consider shooting deer and shooting pests as two different things.

AKElroy
January 31, 2012, 09:45 PM
With the central Texas pig invasion, all of my rifles have harvested game and varments. The most unfortunate of which was two raccoons taken with a 7mm rm. Ugly.

mgregg85
January 31, 2012, 09:48 PM
I've taken a few deer and partridge, that's about it. I really need to get out and hunt more.

pingpingping
January 31, 2012, 09:48 PM
Had a rifle like that...fixed that last November.

Bojangles7
January 31, 2012, 09:49 PM
The most unfortunate of which was two raccoons taken with a 7mm rm. Ugly.

Wow, no kidding. Not much left I'm sure.

infmp32
January 31, 2012, 09:50 PM
Nope. No rifle hunting here.

wankerjake
January 31, 2012, 09:54 PM
I have a few that I still have not yet bloodied. Don't worry, I will:D

heeler
January 31, 2012, 09:54 PM
Every center fire rifle I own,which is numerous in number, has killed game.
Deer,feral hogs,coyotes,varmints,etc.
Some have quite a score and others not so many.
But THEY are all hunting rifles and I have made sure they have served their purpose in this regard.
My hunting rifles punch paper for fun and testing but hunting wild game is what they were built for primarily.

SGW42
January 31, 2012, 10:02 PM
I voted none of my rifles have killed anything, but I don't know if I am being honest about the Mosin.

I think hunting is a true "pass it down" pastime. My dad taught me how to shoot a rifle but never went hunting (after I was born) and therefore never took me out with him (even though he owns deer rifles). I am very interested in hunting, but the more books and videos I read about it, the more I think about how so much of it requires a "here, let me show you how to do this." I'd never try to go deer hunting for the first time by myself. Plus it seems expensive.

So I stick to the range.

Ludasmith
January 31, 2012, 10:05 PM
Hunting has never sounded fun to me. Unless we are doing that hog killing like they do in TX. That sounds like an awesome time.

Voltia
January 31, 2012, 10:07 PM
It's interesting to see the responses and the different euphemisms. I prefer "shot" or "killed", myself.

I have hunting guns, self defense guns, fun/save-for-the-apocalypse guns, of which only the first group has shot anything. I did blast an armadillo with my model 29 as I was preparing to shoot paper one day. Not much left after a 44 mag round gets done with one.

jmorris
January 31, 2012, 10:07 PM
I have killed time with every rifle I have shot.

taliv
January 31, 2012, 10:11 PM
i answered "never" because i don't hunt

but that's not technically accurate. if you search the archives for my bughole thread, you will find the splatter from several insects that learned the hard way not to walk across my targets.

macadore
January 31, 2012, 10:16 PM
That's why I only shoot varmints and leave them for the opossums and coyotes. Opossums and coyotes have to eat too.

tubeshooter
January 31, 2012, 10:19 PM
Most of my rifles haven't killed anything. Never hunted; have shot a snake or two and a few small birds (I was younger and dumber) with some of my .22 rifles.

The centerfires have never "drawn blood" or however you want to put it.

My buddy wants to go deer hunting sometime soon, so maybe either this .243 or .30-30 might do it one day. But it's just as likely to never happen.* I'm more of a recreational shooter and don't want to kill any non-pest that I don't plan on eating. But I would eat some of the deer, so...

* when the feral hogs get to my state it's open season and I hear they are quite the pest

MutinousDoug
January 31, 2012, 10:24 PM
I think all my shotguns have taken game. About half my .22's (not counting my AR which is strictly a match rifle). I have one centerfire rifle that's taken an antelope and my dad used it to take a moose years ago but the others? I don't think anything but paper or steel. My muzzleloaders have all been baptized at least twice.

Welding Rod
January 31, 2012, 10:36 PM
I haven't hunted for 20+ years. While I love tromping around in the woods armed, shooting game just really doesn't interest me... too much work when you shoot something, and I prefer the taste of domestic animals better anyway.

I have no use in killing anything strictly for entertainment.

Just love to shoot.

MilsurpShooter
January 31, 2012, 10:44 PM
Most, if not all have been taken hunting. There's a few in my collection that have not been hunting with me. However, given the years, can't say they weren't out hunting in their own respective times. Springfield Trapdoor I have is in the serial number range to consider it a "Custer Gun". Two Mosin's I have is from 1923 and 1934 respectively.

bushmaster1313
January 31, 2012, 10:45 PM
Hunting is not for me, but I see the attraction.

I would guess that one of these saw some game before coming under my stewardship.
Next custodian can decide whether to field them again.
The tiger striped .270 has the scratches and dents to show that it was fielded often.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/bushmaster1313/CIMG0762.jpg

6x6pinz
January 31, 2012, 10:47 PM
some of my mil surps have not yet had the opportunity to be in the field with me. I probably have 3 or 4 that will never be in the field because the law won't allow them. All of my normal rifles have taken at least one large game. The 22's see a lot of small game action.

HOOfan_1
January 31, 2012, 10:47 PM
Only one I can think of off the top of my head is my newest, a CZ 550 Varmint. That includes my myriad of .22 rimfires.

Legionnaire
January 31, 2012, 10:56 PM
I hunt, and my dedicated hunting rifles have taken game. But I have other rifles that will likely never kill anything other than targets.

Girodin
January 31, 2012, 11:02 PM
Every one of my rifles has a kill or two.

That is not a real meaningful statement without stating how many rifles that is.

roadliner
January 31, 2012, 11:14 PM
Most of mine haven't, I tend to hunt small game with handguns. Can't speak of any kills with my battle rifles, don't know their stories unfortunately.

AK_Maine_iac
January 31, 2012, 11:25 PM
I have brought food to the table with all of my rifles. Handguns are mainly range toys and HD & CC. Except the 22 revolver that has taken a few tree rats and bunnies.

Woodyard
January 31, 2012, 11:36 PM
With the exception of a couple of military clunkers and some dedicated clay target guns, all my weapons are used to kill game, even the pistols. I consider target shooting as practice for hunting, not for blowing away the boogey man.

kbbailey
January 31, 2012, 11:42 PM
Guilty----

I have two that I haven't even fired yet.

Black Butte
January 31, 2012, 11:50 PM
Every one of my rifles has a kill or two. Some of them, (.22's mostly) have hundreds.

I hope you're eating what you're killing.

twofourthree73
February 1, 2012, 12:14 AM
I hope you're eating what you're killing.

I don't know about you, but I never had the urge to try prairie dogs grilled up. I did shoot a lot of sparrows for the cats when I was on the farm.

wyohome
February 1, 2012, 12:24 AM
I have 2 Model 94s, a Kimber Longmaster Classic, and an SKS that have never killed anything, all of the rest have killed something.

Kachok
February 1, 2012, 12:25 AM
Only one of my four remingtons has ever spilled blood, the rest of them were such POS I would not take them into the woods. Now my Savages and Tikka have all seen action many times. Heck my Tikka filled the freezer this morning :D

rondog
February 1, 2012, 12:31 AM
None of my rifles have ever killed anything in MY hands, but I know the Rem 700 did in my Dad's hands. Can't speak for the Garand, M1 Carbines, Enfields, Mosins, or K31's. Or the Winchester I bought used either.

OARNGESI
February 1, 2012, 03:17 AM
All my rifles are range use only

tahunua001
February 1, 2012, 03:24 AM
my 22 has killed more tweeties than I want to count, my AR has killed a nice buck, my 243 has killed a few deer, my enfield may or may not have killed a few nazis(sorry I couldn't resist)... I hope to add a few kills to my 9mm AR15 and 300 WBY MAG :D

tarosean
February 1, 2012, 03:31 AM
I lied..... I originally picked all my rifles have kills... then I thought about the Air Riffle that resides on the front porch for dogs, critters, etc.

Shoots at least 20ft in the wrong direction no matter which way its pointed.

doc2rn
February 1, 2012, 03:41 AM
I have to say two yes and four no. I only use the 30-06 when I feel like it, but the .22 WMR goes everywhere with me. I have bought and sold rifles occassionally but with what I own now that is pretty much gonna be the standard. I only hunt when I have to, not for sport, not anymore.

biohazurd
February 1, 2012, 03:45 AM
I dont make a requirement when i get a rifle that it MUST get a kill... But all of my rifles have found its use on flesh.

Dr.Rob
February 1, 2012, 03:56 AM
Need another answer 'not yet'.

I doubt I'll use my AR for any sort of hunting. It's accurate enough it's just not legal for any sort of big game where I live and I haven't varminted in years.

BigN
February 1, 2012, 04:30 AM
Most of my rifles have not killed anything, some have. Other than some coyotes and couple deer per year, most of my time is at the range. I prefer experimenting with reloads/ballistics, etc...in a controlled environment like the gun club.

chris in va
February 1, 2012, 04:53 AM
I've never been hunting. Just doesn't appeal to me. Much prefer knocking down steel plates.

I took a hunter's safety course a while back just to learn a few things. I mentioned I'd probably not be interested in hunting, and a guy in the group looked at me and said, "then what the **** are you doing in this class?".

Really soured me to the whole concept.

Gtscotty
February 1, 2012, 06:20 AM
I didn't have a chance to take a deer with my Ruger African this year, just got it too late in the season for me to have time to work up and thoroughly test a load. Its ok though, both of my Tikkas picked up the slack to help fill the freezer, as did my shotguns. My G19 has also helped fight the battle against the armadillo scourge on three different occasions.

Neither my AR or my G20 have been used for hunting, but the plan is to rectify that this next year.

Gtscotty
February 1, 2012, 06:28 AM
SGW42,

You sound interested in hunting, I don't think I'd let the fact that my dad didn't take me hunting keep me from going if I was interested in giving it a try. I bet you have friends that hunt and would be willing to show you the ropes... that's how I got into hunting.

Skyshot
February 1, 2012, 08:18 AM
My two semi auto rifles a mini-14 and ar-15 or more for home protection and plinking,but they have dusted thier share of yotes and a couple of deer. All my bolt guns must earn thier place in my safe. They must shoot 1 MOA at 100 yards and they must get blood on them in a hunting enviroment. I give them plenty of range time and plenty of opertunities afield. But if they can't get it done, they get traded.

Pete D.
February 1, 2012, 08:23 AM
Do shotguns count? That is what I use for 99% of my hunting.

Pete

kaferhaus
February 1, 2012, 08:31 AM

Yep. I'm the same way. I only predator hunt. Grab a taco on the way home.

Used to be a deer/wild hog hunter but honestly didn't like the taste and I've had "experts" cooking it.

Certainly would hunt game animals if I needed to eat but otherwise I have no interest in it at all.

Jason_W
February 1, 2012, 08:43 AM
Never killed anything with a centerfire rifle. Mostly because I'm not a huge fan of hunting Northeastern Whitetail. Unless you have a wide open, remote area to still hunt or track, it's all sitting still for hours on end. I can last maybe three hours doing that and as a consequence, I never see legal deer.

My .22s and shotguns, however, have killed more small game and pests than I can keep track of.

Sport45
February 1, 2012, 09:07 AM
Have one that took many rabbits, rodents, and sparrow/starlings in my youth (and the occasional song bird off the feeder when mom wan't looking). I'd rather not know what my Arisaka or M1 might have done.

Anymore, I don't go out to shoot anything that breathes. But I would if I had to.

stan rose
February 1, 2012, 09:15 AM
I have a problem with long guns, I can't get enough of them. Every time I see something I like I say that would be a great (what ever) gun and buy it, shoot it at the range, play with it and put it in the safe. Then when it is time to go hunting I always use one of two shotguns, one of three rifles, and the same .22 depending on what I am going after. So in the end I have an accumilation of many fine hunting arms, and still use the same six I have since I started. If finances ever require that I sell some of my guns atleast I know which six will be sticking around.

Sam1911
February 1, 2012, 09:21 AM
Some have. Some haven't. Some, there's no way for me to know.

I haven't hunting in 6-7 years. Most of my shooting is competition and practice. I own lots more rifles that are not especially suited to hunting than those that are set up with that intent.

Chuck R.
February 1, 2012, 10:04 AM
Out of the 20 rifles I currently own, 9 are hunting/varmint rifles that I have killed game/varmints with. Most of my hunting rifles have killed multiple “things”.

Chuck

Elkins45
February 1, 2012, 10:04 AM
I have a lot of both centerfire and rimfire rifles. It's impossible to know about the used ones, of course but I know that I personally haven't killed something with each one. I stopped hunting squirrels after my Grandmother died (nobody could cook a squirrel like she could!) so now the only animal I hunt is deer. I shoot the occasional varmint or garden pest with a .22 or .17 but mostly I hunt with high powered rifles. This past season I took to the woods with four different guns depending on the season and which part of the farm I was hunting.

My guns were a Tikka T3 lefty in .308 for the deep woods, a home built Interarms Mauser 98 in .257 Wby for open ground and a Savage 110 lefty in .270 just for nostalgia because its been my go-to rifle for the last dozen years or so.

For the muzzle loading season I hunted with a Savage smokeless 10ML II. It took two of this year's three deer, plus one coyote that was chasing a small group of yearlings on the last weekend of the season. The third deer was taken with the .257, and the .308 was used on a second coyote earlier in the season. Now that I think about it, I'll bet the Savage muzzle loader has killed more deer (in my hands anyway) than any other rifle in my safe. During the modern rifle season I have alternated between several rifles for years, but the Savage is the only ML rifle I have hunted with since I bought it over 10 years ago.

henschman
February 1, 2012, 11:27 AM
I honestly can't remember which ones I've killed things with and which ones I haven't. I don't ever do any actual hunting, but I do a lot of critter killin'.

As for the M1 and the Nagant (a 1943 and a 1955 respectively), they may have been used to kill things in the past such as Nazis or Communists, but I really have no way of knowing!

RustHunter87
February 1, 2012, 11:29 AM
Kill some Coyotes no one will look down at you for not cleaning and eating them:barf::barf:

Sgt_R
February 1, 2012, 11:37 AM
I love to shoot, but have never been hunting (not for lack of interest, I just don't know how).

R

RhinoDefense
February 1, 2012, 11:43 AM
I've had a couple rifles that I sold or traded before they could kill animals. I've got a long range rifle that I just use for target shooting and have no intention of using it for hunting.

788Ham
February 1, 2012, 11:48 AM
All of the rifles I own have been "blooded", have a few that have been used for big game hunting. I've got 2 that I use for varmints, they do a good job on P-dogs and coyotes. I've got a .22 that has taken many grouse and rabbits, and a stray cat or two. Love to hunt, no matter the species, was raised on deer and elk meat, can't get enough of it.

CraigC
February 1, 2012, 11:53 AM
It's an interesting question and I had to pull up my spreadsheet and go through them. I do believe that nearly all of my rifles have been blooded in some fashion. Some have been used a few times, others are deadlier than the plague. I counted only two of 25 rifles that have not taken game or varmints. Which is because they have not been given the chance by their owner. ;)

cougar1717
February 1, 2012, 12:03 PM
Since not all rifles are hunting rifles, I would expect most will have shot something with at least one of their rifles, but not all of them.

MtnSpur
February 1, 2012, 12:14 PM
Mainly coyote as the sly varmints seem to enjoy the pecan dropping ritual every early winter and then make regular visits to forage. In this neck of Texas you just can't shoot enough of em, IMHO. I had to vote "some" as there are collector grade long guns that have never been fired.

BrocLuno
February 1, 2012, 12:18 PM
My target and range guns don't kill things under my stewardship. What was done with that gun before I owned it (almost all are used) is mostly unknown to me. The Mil-Surps are a big question. Maybe they were base-only training rifles (?), or maybe they saw action (?), how would you know :confused:

Some of my better rifles were obviously custom built to kill things (hunting rifles or dog town shooters), but I may not have bloodied them. OTOH, some of my rifles were specifically bought to take care of one pest or another (including deer in Ma's veggie garden) and sat in the truck (on the ranch) or next to the door. They have seen plenty of feathers, fur, scales, and beady eyes :evil:

RevGeo
February 1, 2012, 12:30 PM
I only own four rifles and I have taken game with all of them. If I didn't hunt I would probably own only two guns - a large caliber handgun for personal defense and a .22 for plinking and target shooting.

George

Ky Larry
February 1, 2012, 01:28 PM
I gave up hunting years ago. Just lost interest. I still use some of my guns for critter control on our farm. I have a CZ-550 in .30-06 I'm going to try out on coyotes. I shot a ground hog last year with a .22-250 loaded with a 50gr Hornady S.P.S.X. Nasty.

CZRemingtonGuy
February 1, 2012, 01:31 PM
None of my rifles have killed anything yet, but I hope that will change in the coming months since I plan on getting into varminting.

Phaethon
February 1, 2012, 01:46 PM
Honestly I voted that I don't believe in killing things because I don't. I never hurt lizards as a kid and I don't step on bugs in the house when I can help it. However, I own six rifles and two pistols. I don't have any urge to go hunting and am a vegetarian. I like my rifles because I like shooting them (and shooting them well), I like the history behind them, and I just like the way they look and feel. They make me think about the graveness of battle and the seriousness of their purpose.

That's not to say that I'm completely a pacifist; one of the main reasons I bear arms is because I believe a rifle is one of the sole instruments that a people may use to empower themselves against their government should a government fail to serve and protect them, and I believe it's the duty of every man to defend his family and his home.

It would take very extraordinary circumstances for me to conscionably do harm to any living thing.

Detritus
February 1, 2012, 02:42 PM
I voted noe because none of my current rifles have been used to shoot anything except paper and/or steel. But some of the rifles that I had to sell 7-8 years ago (med bills) had taken crittes ranging from gopher to deer.
Heck i haven't had a hunting license since before i left NC in early '99. between then and very recently i've not had time, opportunity, or (in the case of most hunting here in TX) the spare cash. Maybe some day soon I'll go ahead and go through the steps to get a texas license and head out for hog or coyote with one of my co-workers. truthfully I have no desire to hunt anything i have to pay to shoot. so round here that kind of limits me to public land bird hunts and "Non-game" hunting (predators,varmints, Hogs, etc).

xfyrfiter
February 1, 2012, 02:58 PM
3 of my 22's, have taken more jacks and cottontails, than I can, or want to count. My 30-06, I am fairly sure has killed in both incarnations (sporterized K98 with a BAR barrel) My sxs 12 ga. has killed many ducks. I do have a few newer rifles that have never been in the field.

GunnyUSMC
February 1, 2012, 03:48 PM
My dad got me my first gun in 1975, a Winchester 9422 XTR. It has been used to take many little fuzzy things that some people would say were cute, but I call good eating.
Here is one I used to kill a Groundhog. The pistol is a FEG in 380 ACP. It was the only gun I had on me at the time when that monster attacked me.

CAR-AR
February 1, 2012, 06:41 PM
I've used my AR and my police sniper to take ground hogs. Maryland ground hogs are pretty big and they dig large holes in the pastures causing problems with the livestock at times.

FIVETWOSEVEN
February 1, 2012, 07:43 PM
Guns don't kill things, but to answer the implied question. I got my first rifle with the intent to hunt with it but I haven't gone hunting yet. Maybe someday.

Tom609
February 1, 2012, 09:35 PM
I have a lot of milsurps so I can't vouch for previous owners, but since living under my roof, my rifles have no kills. I do have a Ford Escape though with several "confirmed."

CHALK22
February 1, 2012, 10:16 PM
My .243 was passed down to me from my father, and it killed deer every year. Since I have owned it, I have "harvested" two gophers with it. I have taken it hunting a few times, but never get any good shot opportunites. My .17HMR and ARs have an unknown large number of gophers, squirrels, crows etc, under their slings. Shotgun has claimed a Goose, and thousands of clays.

ATLDave
February 1, 2012, 10:31 PM
I lack the patience to do the kind of hunting one does with a rifle in my part of the world. Sitting in a deer stand being still and silent just to maybe, maybe get one shot is unbearable to me. I went a couple of times as a kid and will never voluntarily go again. Far too boring. I have more tolerance for wingshooting, because there's a lot more going on.

FWIW, I detest most fishing for the same reason; flyfishing I can do because at least there's mechanics to focus on.

X-Rap
February 1, 2012, 10:34 PM
Shoot I've got guns I haven't even shot yet let alone killed anything with, but I also have a handfull that could have filled a packing house over the years.

mshootnit
February 1, 2012, 11:34 PM
If I were completely urban and didn't ever know about hunting I would get a few automatic pistols, maybe a shotgun for sporting clays, and a 22 and AR-15 for paper punching and still have a lot of fun. But hunting does have its own unique rewards. For what its worth I think it would be a close call between an 870 shotgun, and my air rifle for what weapon I have taken the most game with.

mshootnit
February 1, 2012, 11:35 PM
ATLdave: fishing ain't about the fish man!:D

vtbluegrass
February 2, 2012, 12:04 AM
Only one currently and I have made a commitment to change that next fall the AR is going hunting with a shiny new 6.5grendel upper. But hopefully the 700 in 270 and the 336 in 35rem are teaching it well in the cabinet till then and not getting jealous.

Is it weird that it feels like cheating on a girl by even thinking of leaving my blue steel and walnut ladies in the cabinet during hunting season?

tahoe2
February 2, 2012, 01:00 AM
9 rifles, 4 with kills
3 shotguns all with kills
2 auto pistols - ccw & hd - no kills
2 revolvers no kills
1 muzzle loader no kills

I plan to pop the cherries on the rest this year and next !!

BrainOnSigs
February 2, 2012, 01:23 AM
All of my bolt actions have been used for hunting.

Inebriated
February 2, 2012, 01:29 AM
Yes, but why does it matter?

Picher
February 2, 2012, 08:57 AM
I voted that all my rifles have been blooded, but assumed that didn't include benchrest rifles. All my sporters have shot at least one critter.

A few handguns have also, and all my shotguns.

Since moving here (family-owned 140 acres of field and forest) six years ago, I've gotten 5 deer, 5 coyotes, 1 bobcat, several crows, 4 skunks, 3 woodchucks, 40+ grouse, 10+ woodcock, a porqupine, a bunch of red squirrels, and a mole.

The mole was running on top of snow and was dispatched with my 10-22 at 50 feet. One coyote was running away at 190 yards, but didn't outrun a .243 bullet. Two deer were running, one taken last year, left-handed, about 45 yards from my tree stand with a .270 Win. The other at 185 yards offhand across a blueberry field.

tacdad
February 2, 2012, 09:34 AM
I don't own a rifle that hasn't killed SOMETHING. They all have to prove themselves in the field.

glock36
February 2, 2012, 10:01 AM
Mrs. Santa was kind to me this year and left a Remington 700 ADL in 30-06 Springfield under the tree. This season will be the first hunting season that I will get to partake in. No guaranty a kill will take place but I will give it a hell of a go.
Other than the occasional feral dog no kills have been made with any of my rifles.

Arkansas Paul
February 2, 2012, 10:47 AM
All of mine have, but I don't have a large number of them. 6 rifles, including rimfire and BP. They have all taken game, with the muzzleloader just getting bloodied for the first time this season.

SlamFire1
February 2, 2012, 10:59 AM
My air rifle has killed more evil destructive squirrels than the combined total of creatures with all my other firearms. After it cost a neighbor $300.00 to have one of these stinkers pulled out of their chimney, I got carte blanche to thin the population.

Other than that, I enjoy paper punching more. Don’t have to get up that early, don’t have to freeze in a deer stand, and the clean up is a lot less messy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/Squirrelevial.jpg

BIGBANG
February 2, 2012, 12:32 PM
Out of the the dozen or so rifles I have only 4 have killed anything, my Mosin and Ak have killed hogs, and a couple .22's on cute lil kuddly waskly wabbits in the garden and some squirrels.

CraigC
February 2, 2012, 04:14 PM
I lack the patience to do the kind of hunting one does with a rifle in my part of the world. Sitting in a deer stand being still and silent just to maybe, maybe get one shot is unbearable to me. I went a couple of times as a kid and will never voluntarily go again. Far too boring. I have more tolerance for wingshooting, because there's a lot more going on.

FWIW, I detest most fishing for the same reason; flyfishing I can do because at least there's mechanics to focus on.
Methinks ya ain't doin' it right! ;)

You don't have to sit in a treestand from dawn to dusk to hunt deer, nor do you have to sit on the bank and watch a bobber all day to fish. I killed two deer this season and only hunted six afternoons and didn't spend one minute in a treestand. I can't remember the last time I actually used a bobber, live bait and sat still more than five minutes while fishing.

I can see you're never heard of the Migratory Bird Act.
I think "tweeties" might be a little too vague to go getting all legal.

I was taught to never kill anything just for fun too. So as a friend I'm asking you to please not shoot any birds that aren't game birds.
There are plenty of birds to shoot that are not game birds. We have a generous crow season here in TN because we also have a lot of agriculture. Most states also have non-native species like starlings that can be shot legally. Florida, where I grew up, has a significant problem with parakeets and other exotic birds who flew the coop. Not to even mention the control of raccoons, possums, beavers, prairie dogs, ground squirrels, ground hogs, coyotes, bobcats, foxes, etc.. So you may want to throttle back a little bit on all the self righteousness.

allaroundhunter
February 2, 2012, 04:17 PM
All (3) of my rifles have killed at least one thing....so have each of my (3) shotguns (though their kills number in the hundreds) and my pistols (2) each have several kills

Davek1977
February 6, 2012, 06:13 AM
This is just a friendly reminder that you needed to hear. I was taught to never kill anything just for fun too. So as a friend I'm asking you to please not shoot any birds that aren't game birds.

Rather than seize upon the word "Tweeties" and making up your definition of it in a manner than condemn someone without reason, how about you research the various game laws in other states? Then, just maybe, you'll see that your rant and condemnation were uncalled for with the limited information you had. If you have proof of an alleged violation, report it. If you don't, and are acting on assumptions, maybe its time to climb off that high horse you are on and knock it off with the lectures about what you think you know.

As for "not killing for fun".....I've shot tens of thousands of prairie dogs in my life. While considered pests, I can tell you its EXTREMELY fun to watch a prairie rat explode at 400 yards, or 4 yards, for that matter. So, if its "wrong" to occasionally kill for "fun" I'm guilty. Do with me what you will, but I have NO regrets

thump_rrr
February 6, 2012, 08:00 AM
I have nothing against hunting and I have even taken my hunters safety course since I believe that the more hunters there are will give us a stronger voice in firearms related issues.

I'm not really a big fan of the taste of large game.
Maybe it's the way it was prepared?
When my father was alive he hunted small game quite well with a single shot 12GA which I now own.
It was always a pleasure when he brought home hare, partridge, or pheasant.

CraigC
February 6, 2012, 09:32 AM
What's fascinating to me and also somewhat troubling, is how disconnected shooting and hunting can be in the minds of some folks. I was watching one of those 3-gun shows when they interviewed Taran Butler. He talked about how he got into shooting and said that he wasn't a hunter. That he wasn't "into all the gore". I had to rewind it to make sure that's what he said. I don't know about you guys but I've been hunting all my life and "blood & guts" has never been the reason. Likewise, I've never heard or read anything from an anti-hunter or anti-gunner that ever seemed to be based in reality. Perception is a funny thing.

nastynatesfish
February 6, 2012, 10:32 AM
ive got my hunting rifle thats a 7 mag and i have my target rifle that i built off a 98 mauser in 308. ive killed plenty with the 7. just steel with the 308

kb58
February 6, 2012, 10:47 AM
I clicked "none", then realized that technically the pellet gun counts... which has collected plenty of rats.

... oh, and there were the poor birdies that weren't bothering anyone that I took out with my old BB gun as a kid. Then there was that one bat that took several days of effort and 100s of BBs to figure out how to lead them.

RyeDaddy
February 6, 2012, 12:27 PM
If I buy a new rifle, it goes out next time I hunt. Have 2 right now waiting on an opportunity, but as a rule I try to get at least one animal with everything I own.

SeriousGunBlog
February 6, 2012, 01:08 PM
Every hunter I am personally acquainted with is respectful of animals as am I. It's important to be so as understand the role of the hunter in the process.

CraigC
February 6, 2012, 01:52 PM
Now we're arguing over what sound a bird makes? Seriously??? Nobody said anything about songbirds, you made the assumption and jumped in with both feet. What sound does a parakeet make? How about a lovebird? I've seen flocks of both in Florida. Neither is protected and you're doing the native birds a favor by killing them. Whether or not you enjoy the process is immaterial.

What sound does a european starling or english sparrow make? Who cares, they're non-native and need to be shot. Try reading up on all the diseases that english sparrows carry.

It helps to read the actual statute:
"b) European starlings, English sparrows, and feral rock doves (Columba livia) may be killed at any time in any manner and their nests or eggs may be destroyed, and such conduct does not constitute an offense under Chapter 42, Penal Code.(c) A permit is not required to control yellow-headed, red-winged, rusty, or Brewer's blackbirds or all grackles, cowbirds, crows, or magpies when found committing or about to commit depredations on ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in numbers and in a manner that constitutes a health hazard or other nuisance."

Awful lot of self-righteousness from behind a keyboard. :rolleyes:

Driftwood Johnson
February 6, 2012, 04:17 PM
Howdy

I have not pointed a firearm at anything alive since I was 18 years old.

I was cruising through the woods with a Crossman pellet pistol. I saw a chipmunk sitting on a stump. I drew a bead on it and pulled the trigger. I was amazed when it fell over dead. I walked up to see what I had done. I felt terrible. The poor thing was not doing me any harm, but I killed it for no reason at all.

I have not pointed a firearm at a living thing since then. Just don't want to hurt anything.

Hunting is fine for others, and I like eating meat as much as the next guy, but I just don't want to hurt anything myself.

charlie echo
February 6, 2012, 08:26 PM
I hunt for meat, esp. meat sows or yearling doe venison (so tasty and tender, but hard to find) You can keep all the trophy racks.

Clark
February 7, 2012, 12:21 AM
~200 rifles

Killed
ground squirrels with 10/22, 17 HMR, 223
rock chucks with 10/22
tree squirrels with win 22 semi
raccoons with 177 pellet, 22 semi, 22 bolt
prairie dog with 223 Ruger #1V and 223 Ruger #1 Standard
mule deer with 270, 7mmRemMag
antelope with 7mmRemMag
quail 22 CO2 pellet rifle

So I have killed with 5% of my rifles, but I have killed thousands of rodents with that one 223.

ilmonster
February 26, 2012, 09:41 PM
Have a Marlin 1894, Remington 597 and a bunch of shotguns, and never killed anything. Nothing against those who do, especially here in Wisconsin where I'd much rather have hunters kill some deer and have tasty deer dogs and deer jerky (yes, I eat meat others have hunted) than hit a deer with my car. Actually, upland bird hunting seems like it could be fun.

TexasPatriot.308
February 26, 2012, 09:44 PM
guns are for hunting, this is a crazy question.

kimberkid
February 26, 2012, 10:00 PM
I didn't vote because you have a huge gap in your poll

No, not every one of my rifles has at least a kill to it's credit.

None of my rifles have killed game as I have never hunted, but I'm not against it.

Some of my rifles have killed something (varmints)

It would be silly to think I don't believe in killing things.

allaroundhunter
February 26, 2012, 10:04 PM
I didn't vote because you have a huge gap in your poll

No, not every one of my rifles has at least a kill to it's credit.

None of my rifles have killed game as I have never hunted, but I'm not against it.

Some of my rifles have killed something (varmints)

....Others have posted about their rifles killing raccoons and other "non-game" animals....there is no reason to nit-pick when it is clear what the OP is referring to.

Ignition Override
February 26, 2012, 11:26 PM
Nothing worth mentioning in my hands. Only plastic bottles and concrete blocks.
All my guns are military surplus: Enfields etc, or the mil./commercial SKS. I've not yet hunted animals, and deer don't interest me.

Anybody within three hours of Memphis who will help me find some feral pigs and allow a free hunt will Not be charged for the service or gas/hotel room.
Chartering a Robinson or Bell helicopter in TX would be far too expensive, despite the strong appeal on YouTube.

One of the reasons I work on proficiency with the (Tech Sight) SKS, FR8s and Enfields is to have a good chance of quickly zapping at least one large swine; hoping to pass a first "Swine Evaluation" 'check'.

hipoint
February 27, 2012, 12:24 AM
the only gun I own that hasn't killed anything, I just bought yesterday (I say give it less than a month and it'll put some in the freezer too)! I try to only eat meat I've killed myself, that doesn't always happen, but a solid 75% of the meat we consume has come right off of this farm.

I honestly feel like it's more respectful to kill an animal myself than to purchase meat in a neat little styrofoam package, it gives you a real sense of what was given and what you are taking every time you eat.

Of course it does help that we own a farm and get depredation permits from the state, so I get to take at least 5 deer every couple of months... The only part I waste are the intestines (just not an organ meat man), we even brain tan our own hides here.

I've learned over the years what to shoot and what not to shoot... I'm not a fan of rabbit, so I don't shoot those anymore, not a fan of wild turkey either. Tried groundhog for the first time this past fall, wasn't worth a flip. I mainly like deer and squirrel, with the occasional grouse and pheasant thrown in the mix. Now the only thing I kill and don't eat are when I catch dogs in the chicken house!

Lee D
February 27, 2012, 07:33 PM
i hunt everything in Iowa that walks on 4 legs, and every rifle/carbine i own has many notches on its belt.
my newest, the Socom 16 smacked many many 'yotes this winter.

Hardtarget
February 27, 2012, 08:44 PM
I hunt some but I have as much fun just target shooting. I duck hunt with my sons but my wife says I only go to eat breakfast. I've never shot a deer but not for not trying. Can't shoot in unsafe directions and the deer didn't notice my friends house was in line behind him.

So...none of my centerfire rifles have a kill notch. However...two revolvers and several shotguns have tallied several kills.

Mark

Robert
February 27, 2012, 09:05 PM
See this thread pop up again jogged my memory. I have taken a hog with my 1895G.

Walkalong
February 27, 2012, 09:06 PM
Some have, some haven't. Not a big deal either way.

TexasPatriot.308
February 27, 2012, 09:20 PM
I live therefore I hunt, I am overrun with hogs and coyotes.

Magnuumpwr
February 27, 2012, 11:22 PM
I have more guns that have never been pointed at anything other than paper, if that, than I have that were used to kill something. Might have 10 guns, (pistols, rifles, and shotguns) that have been used to kill something or things.

wkumatt
February 27, 2012, 11:33 PM
Most of mine have not.
I think its ironic that I have a savage .308 built to the hilt for accuracy but all it does is poke holes in paper and ping steel plates.
My 22s have innumerable rabbits and squirrels as well as nuisance possums, skunks, and coons to their credit. I got my first deer in 95 with a borrowed Remington .243 every one since has been with my NEF Handi Rifle 30.06 in the fields or my Glenfield 30A 30-30 in the brush. Since they are already scratched up they're the only ones I hunt with.
I always tell myself when I buy a new rifle that this one is perfect for hunting here or there. But when its time to go, the old faithfulls come out and and go to work and the new pretty ones stay safely tucked away.

chute2thrill
February 27, 2012, 11:58 PM
I've taken a couple deer, and countless birds. Fact is I've killed far more animals with a red ryder daisy than anything.. mewithdaisy>miceinbarns

sixgunner455
February 28, 2012, 12:14 AM
My muzzleloader has killed deer. My 10/22 is olde, and has certainly killed stuff. My .243 was born last year, and never got a chance to kill a deer, but we decided not to shoot a fox and some coyotes while we were hunting deer. My AR hasn't killed anything, and neither has my new .22 bolt action that just got here last week. My K31 may have killed something, but if it did, it was in Switzerland.

thefamcnaj
February 28, 2012, 12:30 AM
I was never brought up around hunting or taught to hunt by anyone. They are all plinkers. I have nothing against hunting though, because I love some deer meat.

AlexanderA
February 28, 2012, 01:49 PM
I've never shot any living thing. I'm ethically opposed to hunting. In fact I don't like the idea of eating meat, although I'll eat it if someone else does the killing and butchering. Call me a hypocrite.

OldWolf
February 28, 2012, 03:40 PM
Answer #4 is crazy. SomeONE is killing the animals you eat. Unless you are a vegetarian in which case I can respect your answer.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
February 28, 2012, 03:43 PM
Does killing a dying washing machine count?:o

Finprof
February 28, 2012, 08:36 PM
I have several guns that were used many many times for deer, elk, and hog hunting and never got anything. I am the world's unluckiest deer hunter. It doesn't keep me from buying new rifles.

BSA 30/06 hand-me down from dad in 1968 - hunted two years- nothing
Marlin 336 in .35 Rem bought 1970 - nothing
Browning BAR 30/06 bought 1973 - finally killed a doe with it in 2009
Remington 700 Mountain rifle in .280 bought 1989 - hunted fours years in Montana and Idaho and 10 years in PA and a couple in SC - nothing
Howa 1500 in 6.5x55 bought 2009 - nothing

Mrcymstr
February 28, 2012, 09:37 PM
When I was young I didn't know to snug up the rifle and purt near killed my shoulder. That count?

Hammerhead6814
February 28, 2012, 09:54 PM
Hunting itself isn't going down. Hunting without a license is going up. Every year there are fewer and fewer game wardens in the US. If no one is going to enforce the law, people will start breaking it (another example being our Borders of course).

As for myself, only two of my rifles are hunting rifles. The others are plinking and range duty.

If you enjoyed reading about "How many of you rifle owners have never killed anything with it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!