Germany to ban assault spud guns

PDA

Morlock
January 29, 2003, 01:18 PM
in their infinitewisdom....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-558570,00.html

:confused: :confused: :confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Germany to ban assault spud guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Blackhawk
January 29, 2003, 01:27 PM
Fads like that usually disappear quickly and meanwhile are more or less self policing.

Nothing much to get worked up about, IMO.

Morlock
January 29, 2003, 01:38 PM
not at all worried. just surprised that stuff like this is being villified by the blissninnies . just about anything can cause injury, but that can be avoided by just using a bit o' common sense..... no need to ban it. then again, i'm preaching to the choir :banghead: :banghead:

Blackhawk
January 29, 2003, 01:40 PM
That's what I meant.

I wasn't directing my "don't worry about it" comment to you! :D

muddyboots
January 29, 2003, 06:20 PM
Last March a California politician proposed a law to outlaw potato guns. His intention was to declare them destructive devices. Anyone caught with one would face a felony rap and 15 years in prison. The hoots of derision that soon followed caused him to withdraw his bill, but this being California look for it to come around again.

Meanwhile the Brady Bunch applauded the assemblyman for his attempt to rid California cities of these evil devices.

El Tejon
January 29, 2003, 07:10 PM
The ninnies in ********** won't like my suppressed potato gun!:D

Well, if the Dutchies do prohibit spud guns, they should just switch to beer bottles--more readily available and no way those will be banned!

PATH
January 30, 2003, 02:28 AM
ROFLMAO! :D You just can't make this stiuff up.

Justin
January 30, 2003, 03:08 AM
German police fear that the youths will turn to more lethal ammunition than potatoes. Tests have shown that such a bazooka firing an empty film canister filled with sand and the cardboard centres of toilet rolls filled with cement could penetrate brickwork.
Now! Whatever you do, you are not to try any of the following things that we are about to describe in detail!:neener:

Bruce in West Oz
January 30, 2003, 08:13 AM
Doesn't surprise me --- they're just a few years behind us.

Yep, spud guns are illegal here (Gee whiz whillikers, Bruce, what a surprise -- who would've thought Australia would ban a spud gun --- /sarcasm) :banghead: We can serve jail time for their possession.

Bruce

Fly320s
January 30, 2003, 10:19 AM
Does the ban apply only to potatoes or are all tubers banned?

Is eggplant considered less less-than-lethal?

How about a rolled-up dirty sock as a crowd disperser?

When potatoes are outlawed, only McDonald's will have potatoes.

MonkeyMan
January 30, 2003, 10:25 AM
Too bad the Germans are siding with the French at the moment or it would be German Spuds versus Iraqi Scuds.:D :evil:

Stay safe.

T.Stahl
January 30, 2003, 01:14 PM
No Potatoes for Oil!!! :D

4v50 Gary
January 30, 2003, 01:22 PM
Potatoes "r" for peace, not war.

Blackhawk
January 30, 2003, 01:29 PM
Is eggplant considered less less-than-lethal? They seem soft and not very dense, so maybe you could get a permit for an eggplant gun.

Now coconuts would be a different matter! :what:

Blackhawk
January 30, 2003, 01:36 PM
Whatever you do, you are not to try any of the following things that we are about to describe in detail!That's for sure! :rolleyes:

I found out hairspray is still explosive just like 50 years ago. Way back then, it produced lethal phosgene gas when burned as it sprayed from the can, but I don't know if that was from burning the propellant or the hairspray itself. Wonder if Germany's going to ban hairspray...? :rolleyes:

JerryN
January 30, 2003, 02:18 PM
I was under the impression that you could have a spud gun in Aussie land if the potato didn't have a pistol grip or a bayonette mount :rolleyes:

Its amazing how many drive-by bayonette and pistol grip killings are avoided by these restrictions.

T.Stahl
January 30, 2003, 03:59 PM
Ban hairspray?

Nooo!! But they'll make you prove a "need" for it. :what:

What? You have a 1/2" haircut or even are bald? Sorry. :D

Which of course will lead to straw woman purchases by wifes and sisters. ;)

Watch-Six
January 30, 2003, 04:20 PM
I've had a bit of experience with potato cannons shooting in Utah's west desert. 90m is certainly attainable, but I doubt it would penetrate much of a wall at that range. More like a lob. The problem is obviously that I was limited to the low quality Utah potatoes. If I could sneak over the border and get some Idaho potatoes, who knows what ballistic potential could be reached. :) Watch-Six

Autolite
January 30, 2003, 10:46 PM
Banning spud guns will not deter the garden variety criminal. The new law will just create a political rhubarb. It all sounds so corny. Lettuce look for real crime solutions and squash these ridiculous laws. We can't allow this thing to get us beet ...

KRAUTGUNNER
January 31, 2003, 09:43 AM
:D :D :D

Yes, our beanhead politicos are going nuts again!

But our "cool as cucumbers" teens will still go bananas and build their potatoe guns or even worse, get themselves pea shooters.

Tougher gun laws are fruitless!

Get that into your coconuts, dumbass pols!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Germany to ban assault spud guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!