P-14 Enfield action to .375 Ruger

PDA

donk
January 31, 2012, 11:20 PM
I am considering having a P-14 Enfield, (Winchester manfacture) action barreled for the .375 Ruger chamber. Does anyone have experience with a similar conversion, feeding concerns, or any other helpful information.

Don't worry the old P-14 has been already been "altered"

I am new to posting Thanks for any reply.

If you enjoyed reading about "P-14 Enfield action to .375 Ruger" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dprice3844444
February 1, 2012, 12:44 AM
nowadays the winchesters are worth a pretty penny.try a howa action from midwayusa.com

NCsmitty
February 1, 2012, 10:31 AM
Welcome to THR, donk.

If you already have possession of the P-14, and whether it's been altered or not wouldn't matter to me. It seems like it's a very feasible conversion to a very potent caliber, as long as you don't have feeding issues.
I think it's good idea, and encourage you to do it because life is short, and you should enjoy that P-14 yourself, not some collector.

NCsmitty

natman
February 1, 2012, 03:58 PM
The advantage of a 375 Ruger over a 375 H&H is that it will fit in a standard sized action.

The P14 is already a magnum length action. Why not just make it a 375 H&H? Take advantage of worldwide ammo availability.

Jim K
February 1, 2012, 06:34 PM
It may depend on definition, but the P-14 is not usually considered a magnum length action, and I don't believe it is feasible to rework it to accept the .375 H&H. In fact, it required a fair number of changes to make it work with .30-'06 and that was a redesign, not reworking of existing actions.

Jim

56hawk
February 1, 2012, 06:44 PM
It may depend on definition, but the P-14 is not usually considered a magnum length action, and I don't believe it is feasible to rework it to accept the .375 H&H. In fact, it required a fair number of changes to make it work with .30-'06 and that was a redesign, not reworking of existing actions.

Jim

I don't know what it took to make it work, but I know a guy who has an P-14 in 500 A-Square.

donk
February 1, 2012, 07:16 PM
Thankyou for the responses. My interest in the .375 Ruger was due to the Case Lenght and COL over the longer .375 H&H. You are certainly correct the H&H is a world wide cartridge.

I have used the P-14 action for .300 Mag by changing the P-14 magazine (303) to a P-17 mag. (30-06) and had good results. The P-17 mag sightly longer. I was trying to stay a way from lengthing the magazine by cutting an welding.

MMCSRET
February 1, 2012, 07:40 PM
The P-14 was a favorite for magnum conversions because no rework of the bolt face or extractor was required due to the size of the 303 rim. I have fired P-14 conversions in 375 H&H, 300 H&H, 8MM Remington Magnum, 300 Weatherby and 340 Weatherby. The magazine box mods are not difficult. I have a P-14 that is unaltered and I shoot it in 303 but ever so often the urge to customize comes over me so I go try to find another unaltered P-14 and realize that what I have is becoming quite rare, so it stays and I move on to a VZ24 and build a 338-06 or some such.

Jim K
February 1, 2012, 10:40 PM
With enough money, time, and skill just about anything can be done. But I still don't see a P-14 as a "magnum length action".

Jim

natman
February 2, 2012, 05:02 AM
The 505 Gibbs has an overall length of 3.85 inches, making it unsuitable for all but a few magnum actions. Those considering a .505 Gibbs would do well to use an action that has a bolt body diameter of more than 0.700" (which is standard in the model 70/model 98/ CZ550) because after the bolt face is opened up for the Gibbs 0.640" rim, there is just a very thin sliver of metal left on the bolt opposite the extractor. ...... Another alternative is a P14 Enfield action since the P14 bolt has a left lug that extends beyond the boltface, providing extra metal opposite the extractor which can accommodate the Gibbs very large rim.

http://www.470mbogo.com/BigBoreCompendium/

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/35241-What-to-do-with-a-1917-Enfield

Non-Mauser action rifles for the .458 Lott are produced by A-Square, Blaser and Weatherby. A-Squares Hannibal and Caesar rifles built on Enfield P14 actions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.458_Lott

Etc, etc....

If you enjoyed reading about "P-14 Enfield action to .375 Ruger" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!