Attempt to close shooting range in Texas

PDA

popper
February 1, 2012, 12:38 PM
Pay attention- this could be a court precedent. Following is part of my blog conversation with a local city council member:
Mr. Athas: I appreciate your email stating that you don't wish to close down the range, but facts don't support your comments. You present a ballistic distance report which is invalid. Any real ballistic calculator(try Point Blank, it's free) will show that NO hunting high power rifle could make that shot under the range conditions as shown in your photos(1.5mile with restricted shooting elevation of ~10 deg and a ~30' berm @ 110 yds). Rowlett police dept. surely has in depth knowledge of ballistics, but they work for the city. This points to shots taken 'by intent' so the case should be tried under criminal law. You state that by law, the range must operate in accordance with NRA 'rules?', but has the case called the NRA to de-certify the range? DANGER - this will set a court ruling that MAY allow most rifle ranges in the state to be shut down. So hunters have no place to sight in rifles - so NO hunting? A multi-million dollar business in Texas, just think of all the lost sales and jobs at shooting supply stores. By law, Rowlett cannot file a suit so they use Chicago style under the table money to finance the suit. Home owners in the 'area' must notify buyers of the danger of the range, Rowlett zoned the area and the board should have done due-diligence in zoning. The only recourse for home owners is to sue Rowlett for loss of value. Your blog states the range owner estimates the a cost of $500K to make the changes above and beyond what he has already done, his loss in the case opens him up the the follow on suit from Mr. Domin who it is reported, owes $200k in medical expenses. The owner could be forced to pay $1M. Don't show this to kids, but someone is really angry at the range http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=8&t=423267. I don't have any vested interest in the range other than a casual rifle shooter who will have to travel 50 miles to nearest range. So yes, I do believe that you as a council member and the city of Rowlett really do have the intent of shuting down the range.-----
Sic. details at Mr.Athas's (city council member)blog http://douglasathas.net/blogs/index.php/2012/01/24/bullet_lawsuits?blog=2&c=1&page=1&more=1&title=bullet_lawsuits&tb=1&pb=1&disp=single. By Mr. Athas's determination, rifle ranges must OWN propety 5 miles down range ( max distance a high power bullet can go). How about it Houston, Austin, San Antonio, DFW - does your favorite range have this much property. How about some response from you long range shooters and hunters. Could you make that shot? Go to his blog site for range details. A state rep tried to do something like this a couple years ago state wide(no shooting on property less than 50 acres), but the legislation eventually got restricted to Collin count, although not by name. This may really belong in the activism section but not very many may read it there.

If you enjoyed reading about "Attempt to close shooting range in Texas" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
xfyrfiter
February 1, 2012, 05:27 PM
Being that this is The High Road forum you really need to let people know that AR15.com is not censored language is very graphic.BE WARNED!!!!!!!!!!

Bartholomew Roberts
February 1, 2012, 07:00 PM
I'd love to help; but I don't have the first clue what is going on from your post. Apparently someone is trying to close a range in Texas, somewhere near Rowlett. And it seems a councilman wants to argue that a range must own land 5 miles downrange. Beyond that I'm lost.

Seriously, I do want to help; but you need to work on communicating more clearly.

Salmoneye
February 1, 2012, 08:01 PM
Such genteel persons at AR15...

The cordiality and respect for others is simply stunning...

Not sure I would have pointed a politician with 'anti' leanings towards that site...

Rob G
February 1, 2012, 08:22 PM
#1 Wrong forum
#2 What is this about? Please just type, in plain English, an explanation of your point.

bob barker
February 1, 2012, 09:07 PM
The story you linked is from Sep 2010??

Art Eatman
February 1, 2012, 10:20 PM
Sep 2010? Night-night...

If you enjoyed reading about "Attempt to close shooting range in Texas" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!