Guns you keep for life

PDA

Sniper66
February 1, 2012, 04:23 PM
How about a thread for old timers who have bought, sold, traded, and given away guns all their lives, but have a few precious guns they would not part with for love nor money. I have 3.
1. An old, now dysfunctional, Iver Johnson single shot 410 that my dad received as a gift when he was a boy around the year 1915. He taught me and my 3 brothers how to shoot squirrels with it. It came to me when my dad died in 1983. It is on display in my den.
2. A Winchester 67A, single shot .22 I bought in a pawn shop in 1965 so I could hunt squirrels. It was the first gun I bought after leaving home as a kid. It occupies a special place in my gun cabinet and is employed occasionally to dispatch pesky possums that get in my trash.
3. A Remington 541S equipped with a Leupold VX 3 2.5X8. Bougth around 1975 after I left college in 1973 and started to earn decent money...the scope of course came later. It is now my favorite squirrel rifle that shoots one-hole groups in paper targets and squirrels.

It is interesting as I sorted through, in my head, all the guns I have that my favorites are all related to squirrel hunting. Having hunted all over the country and owned dozens of different guns and now 65 years old, I still hunt squirrels and my favorite hunting partner is my 75 year old brother. We shoot the same rifle. I look forward to your stories.

If you enjoyed reading about "Guns you keep for life" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
xXxplosive
February 1, 2012, 04:34 PM
My ol'e S&W Model 29
My Ol'e Winchester 94 Takedown / early.
My Ol'e S&W Model 19 Armoloy Finish and Trigger Job By Austin Behlert.
My Ol'e 1911 Gov't Model US Army 1918
My Ol'e Remington Model 11 shotgun
My Ol'e ColT Combat Commander Pre 80's...Custom Bushing, Trigger, Grip Safety, Lower Port, Flaired Mag Well, Stippling front and back on frame.....a beauty...etc.
My Ol'e 1863 Springfield Carbine

Should I Continue.....?

Ryanxia
February 1, 2012, 04:58 PM
I'm not an old timer but;

My first 1911
Single shot 20gauge that was my first gun and will be my son's when I have kids
Pre-WW2 German pistol that was passed down to me

That's about it at the moment.

hardluk1
February 1, 2012, 04:59 PM
Remmington 511P bought in the early 70's used.
Reminton 788-308 rifle bought new . Nothing special ,just a great shooting old deer killer
Dan Wesson 15-2 bought new in 1976.
Colt huntsman bought new with the help of dad 1971.
Ruger 77mkII 7 rem mag. turned custom- early 1990's ?

The rest don't really matter . They come and go. Mostly to our children.

Arkansas Paul
February 1, 2012, 05:04 PM
The three my dad bought me and the old Winchester single barell 16-gauge that has been passed down from Paul to Paul for a while now will never leave. My brother also gave me a .22 mag one year when my dad was down with a broken back and couldn't afford much, but that one will probably go to one of his boys before it's over. It'll stay in the family though.

22-rimfire
February 1, 2012, 05:07 PM
I certainly have my favorites. I also own a 541-S which is just about my favorite bolt action 22 even though I have "better" ones.

My earliest purchases have stayed with me for the most part other than a couple shotguns and handguns that I never shot or used.

I really have not decided on what firearms would be sold last when the time comes. But the Remington 541-S, a S&W Model 57, and a blue 4" Colt Diamondback 22 are likely to be some of the last guns that I get rid of when the time comes.

76shuvlinoff
February 1, 2012, 05:10 PM
51 and I don't know if I'm old enough to qualify as an old timer but I'm sure I'm ancient to some.

I can't see me giving up Dad's bring back P38 or the Wards Hercules single shot 12 gauge he got from my wife's grandfather for a pile of scrap steel and $3.

There's my first .22, a single shot Ted Williams from Sears ....and I'm pretty partial to my first 1911 as well.

BobTheTomato
February 1, 2012, 05:12 PM
I'm not old but I wont part with my garand

Fall Guy
February 1, 2012, 05:12 PM
I'm not an old-timer yet either, but the guns I have that I will never part with once belonged to my favorite old-timer: Grandpa. He fostered my love of hunting and shooting from an early age and there are way too many memories to share here.

The guns include a Winchester Model 94 30-30 with 85 notches(deer) and no blueing, a Browning A-5 Sweet Sixteen, a Chipmunk .22, an Ithaca Model 37 16 gauge and my first deer rifle that he bought - another M94.

Sniper66
February 1, 2012, 05:19 PM
Hey 22-Rimfire, What .22s do you like that are "better" than the 541S? I would really be interested in your ideas. I have found a few at the Tulsa Gun Show that looked like good possibilties, but this year I hope to have enough cash to buy another really fine .22 Suggestions? Tom

sedona
February 1, 2012, 05:24 PM
Browning A-5 light 20
Colt Bisley passed down from my Dad
Model 19

22-rimfire
February 1, 2012, 05:25 PM
Most people would use "accuracy or precision" as their guide to "what's better" with 22 rifles. My Remington 547 is clearly more accurate. My Weatherby Mark XXII is a tad more accurate than the 541-S. Weatherby just dropped the bolt action Mark XXII from production at the end of the year. For a rifle you carry in the woods (carefully I might add), the 541-S is hard to beat.

Many really like the CZ 452/453/455 22 rifles. Most will give the Remington 541-S a run for its money and they aren't priced like the ones that follow. This is a good choice if you don't want to break the bank. Or you could just find a good old Remington 541-T. :) The Remingtons are so sleek and feel great.

The Savage Mark II Classic is another good one. The classic has the walnut stock and accu-trigger. It has been dropped from regular production too. I really like walnut stocks. Not a big fan of composite or laminate stocks.

$$ :D The Anshutz and Cooper rifles tend to be consistantly accurate and usually more accurate. The Kimbers were also for the most part.

THe Dove
February 1, 2012, 05:29 PM
Hey Sniper, how old do you have to be to be an (Old Timer) and respond to the thread?

The Dove

aaronu
February 1, 2012, 05:35 PM
Good question. This is stuff I really enjoy thinking through. Since I've already worked through this, I figure I must be old enough for this thread.

"Guns I'll keep" is the stuff I'll pass down to my kids but never get rid of any other way, barring major catastrophe. I may pass them along while I"m still alive. Hopefully I have a few more years to decide. :D

Remington Model 12C .22 pump rifle. Actually it's a gift from my dad to my son. I'm just the custodian of it until my boy is old enough to have it for his very own.

Colt Automatic Pistol .22. It's a Woodsman before they were called that. My great uncle, born in 1900 received it as a gift from his mother when he went off to work in the woods at age 18. It needs a new extractor but other than that fires fine -- or at least it would if I ever put it back together. It is in no way a collector piece but is very accurate and has some heirloom value to my family. My son will likely get this one as well since he shares a birthday with his great grand uncle.

High Standard Sport King .22, 4" barrel. Fun, easy to shoot, simple to operate and very reliable. I love how the High Standard can be field stripped in one easy step. I'm left handed and the stock plastic grips have a right hand thumb rest. My father scavenged some redwood burl and made me left handed grips for it. The grips look good but are clearly hand made. That's OK by me... every line and groove was put there by my dad, specifically and only for me. Funny coincidence, my son is also left handed. ;)

Savage Stevens Favorite .22. It is a falling block, single shot rifle that I've shot since I was a kid, and one of the rifles my dad used to teach me and my brothers gun safety and target shooting. It became mine when I was 12. It accompanied me on a lot of hikes through the redwoods as a teenager. I used to take it to junior high school with me, so I could go shooting after school with the gun club. I have this earmarked for my eldest daughter.

Swiss Army Rifle in .41 caliber. This is a cap and ball muzzle loader made some time 1851-1853 in New Jersey. It has a removable bayonet and looks like it belongs more in the Revolutionary War era. They were sold to Switzerland but when the Civil War loomed, the U.S. government bought them back from the Swiss and issued them (mostly to to reserve and second-line troops, IIRC). I used to shoot it in the back yard when I was a kid. Lately it's been a wall hanger. I really need to pull it down and give it a good cleaning.

Regards,

Aaron

huntsman
February 1, 2012, 05:36 PM
2-Brownings. BSS BDA
2-Colts.Frontier scout 2nd series matchtarget
2-Winchesters. 50 63

Sniper66
February 1, 2012, 05:37 PM
22- rimfire.....What ammo do you shoot in your 547? I like Anschutz and have one in 17 HMR, Almost bought an Anschutz .22 at the last Tulsa gun show, but do not recall the model. Thanks for your ideas.

hermannr
February 1, 2012, 05:39 PM
Collectors only buy, never sell. I'll keep 'em all and have one daughter that wants them all when I go. She'll have to fight her sisters for them.

Favorites? Winchester 1897, from dad, manufactured in 1903.
1926 Colt Officers Model first issue, from my FIL
1930? Marlin Model 80 (my second .22)
1964 Rem 700...first (and only) gun I ever purchased new.
1965 High Standard Trophy.

I have more, but they are all newer to me, but none were factory new when I purchased them.

Larry Ashcraft
February 1, 2012, 05:44 PM
A Winchester 1890 22 short given to my grandfather by his father in the 1920s. I still shoot it, but it's getting a bit rickety.

A Springfield single shot 22 bought used by my grandfather and given to my dad for his 12th birthday in 1939. It still shoots great after I replaced the firing pin, and my grandkids enjoy shooting it.

A Remington model 10 12 ga that was my dad's hunting gun. He bought in the 1960s so my brother and I could use his old JC Higgins.

RevolvingGarbage
February 1, 2012, 05:48 PM
For me its these:

1. Mossberg .22 Plinkster. My first firearm, purchased by me shortly after I turned 18.
2. My RG40 .38 spl revolver. My first handgun, given to me by my dad after he purchased it from a friend for next to nothing. I learned a ton through shooting and improving what many would concider to be one of the rattiest handguns ever sold. Now its a smoother functioning revolver than any smith or ruger I've ever held.
3. My Colt MK.IV 1911 Stainless Government. My Dads 21st birthday present to me, and made the same year I was.

lindy
February 1, 2012, 05:51 PM
I am an old timer, And from the many fire arms that I have accumalated over
My life I would have to say that My .38 Spl Model of 1902 1st change target
pistol and My Remington model 12A .22 cal. rifle sticks out in My mind as the
ones I want to keep.

Good Shooting

Lindy

Salmoneye
February 1, 2012, 06:26 PM
I sold two guns in my life...

I will always regret it, and never do it again...

M-Cameron
February 1, 2012, 06:49 PM
Not an old timer by any means ...... But I have 2 guns I'll never sell, 1 of which I'll most likely be burried with

One is my custom savage mk2 match rifle . Not only did I have a blast building it, but it wa also my first gun.

The second is my ruger sp101. My 4th gun....but my first actually carry gun, it follows me everywhere, and is more than a just a tool to me, as it should be seeing as I trust my life to it.....

Liberty1776
February 1, 2012, 07:48 PM
American Gun Co. (Crescent Arms) 16 ga. hammer double. I shot my first grouse with it over 30 years ago. Some ducks and pheasant since, but that first grouse...

M2 Carbine
February 1, 2012, 08:11 PM
There are a good number but the two that top the list are my Wife's Colt.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/Hazels32Colt.jpg

And this GI 1911A1 I bought NIB from the government in 1961 for $17.
It's changed over the years.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/1911A1Remington.jpg

steveb4c
February 1, 2012, 08:32 PM
after years of trading/selling, i'm finally proud of my little collection. they will all be handed down. my mother is letting me "baby-sit" her winchesters right now, and eventhough she said they will be mine someday, the 9422 mag ('73 manufacture) is not going back to her house anytime soon

Cosmoline
February 1, 2012, 08:35 PM
My rust-spotted CZ 452 Lux that I bought new in the late 90's. It killed many animals before I returned to civilization.

The unique Winchester Big Bore converted to .450 Marlin with a shotgun adapter. Can't replace it.

longknife12
February 1, 2012, 08:40 PM
All of em!
My issued S&W's,pre 64 M70's and shotguns.
Dan
;)

COgunner
The Nazi-marked CZ27 my dad brought back in WWII. Unfortunately, he traded off the Luger before he shipped out for home.

MAJ Mike
Mine is the very first firearm I purchased when I was 21 years of age. It's my beloved Government Model M1911A1. I love that pistol and it has served me well for the past 40 years. The rifle I'll never part with is my lovely H&K91. Its 7.62mmx51 round will take down animal and human with equal efficiency.

montanaoffroader
February 1, 2012, 08:43 PM
I have a few.....

Colt SAA .357 Magnum 5.5" - This gun belonged to my great uncle who was born in 1900. He got it in the mid fifties after he retired from mill work and moved to Grass Valley, CA. It has quite a bit of finish wear from being carried, but is in excellent mechanical condition.

Winchester Model 67 .22 Rifle - My Dad bought this used in 1942, it was his first gun. It's had the stock refinished, once by him as a kid and then by me. It's been on many a hike through the redwoods of NorCal and picked off more than a few gophers on the MT prairie. Still in decent shape and shoots great.

Firearms International Bronco .22 Rifle - My first rifle, Dad bought it for me when I was 12. I don't actually own it any longer, but it's still in my cabinet. My oldest daughter owns it now.

Colt King Cobra .357 Magnum 4" SS - This is one of those guns that just "clicked" for me. From the time I first picked it up, I knew it was the one for me. My all time favorite handgun.

Western Field Model 742 .30-30 Rifle - Basically a Marlin .30-30 built for Montgomery Ward. Picked up from a friend several years ago for $75. It's my favorite hunting rifle, I've shot more deer with this rifle than with all my other rifles combined.

Ruger MkII 22/45 SS - Can't get rid of it, it was a gift from my brother. :D Wouldn't get rid of it anyways, it's a great shooter and looks good too.

PS: Take anything that aaronu guy says with a very large grain of salt! You never can tell about those Left Coast types........:evil:

Sheepdog1968
February 1, 2012, 09:28 PM
There are many that I like but only a few that I really love. The ones that I wouldn't sell are listed below.

1. My Marlin 30-30 lever action. There is nothing fancy or unique about it. I did shorten the barrel to 16.75" and put a slightly larger loop so my big hands could fit. I just love this rifle. With it, I feel very confident I can hit what I see.

2. My Sig 220. Ive got over 10,000 rounds through it and from day one I just loved the way it felt in my hand. I had wanted to get one for a very long time before I did. I wasn't disappointed. It is reliable like many other pistols are. I just like the way it feels in my hand.

3. Mossberg 500 12 gauge shotgun. It was a great price and it is a great workhorse. I can't imagine ever parting with it. I'd be too sad.

4. The Benjiman .22 caliber pellet gun my dad got me as a freshman in high school because I got straight As both semesters in Latin. It reenfored that hard work has it pay offs. I loved the rilfe and loved Latin and took 4 more years of it. I would have minored in it at college but though it was on the syllabus it was actively offered (I talked to the Professor).

bushmaster1313
February 1, 2012, 09:44 PM
Not coming from a firearm family, I do not have any that I would not trade or sell under the right circumstances.

PzGren
February 2, 2012, 07:11 AM
It took me a long time to find a Korth with a solid barrel, the trigger already on rollers, and the new mainspring design. The post Willy Korth revolvers are no option:D.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z159/Andyd173/130609007.jpg

Nill bought the wood for the grips from Nagel in Hamburg and Korth also sent the revolvers out for hardening and bluing to my hometown.

RainDodger
February 2, 2012, 10:36 AM
My 1933 Winchester Model 61, .22LR, with octagonal barrel.
My 1953 S&W .38 Special Combat Masterpiece.

subdude
February 2, 2012, 10:44 AM
My Dad's Hamilton 27
My Father-in-law's Winchester 94 30-30, Stevens 322A, and L.C. Smith double barrel

Bojangles7
February 2, 2012, 10:48 AM
I don't plan on getting rid of any of mine but there's 3 that have sentimental value

Winchester 1890 in .22WRF that was my great grandfathers.

Trooper MkIII given to me by an uncle upon return from the sandbox.

AR15 given to me by the same uncle.

mdauben
February 2, 2012, 01:38 PM
How about a thread for old timers who have bought, sold, traded, and given away guns all their lives, but have a few precious guns they would not part with for love nor money.
All of them!

The only gun I ever sold was a kit built Hawken percussion rifle when I was still in college, and to this day I'm sorry I sold it. Even when I was out of work a couple years back, I refused several offers to buy one or more of my precious guns.

Babarsac
February 2, 2012, 01:54 PM
-My Grandpa's 1903-A3 which I unsporterized
-My FN Hi-Power
-Maybe my HK P7

Everything else is fair game if there is something I really want, or if I'm in need financially.

Dr.Rob
February 2, 2012, 05:43 PM
I've never sold a gun... but I have a few I'll never sell even if I HAD to sell the rest.

whetrock
February 2, 2012, 09:40 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=157840&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1327771176 It's a fairly new browning buckmark nothing special but it work's and feeds anything I run threw and is very accurate for being a bone stock gun so IMO it's a keeper and unless I run on to hard times it's staying.

OH_Spartan
February 2, 2012, 09:46 PM
I detassled corn, baled hay and recycled aluminum cans to save for my 870 Wingmaster (with all the choke tubes).

When my grandpa passed, I recieved his Marlin lever-action 22 and a Buck 110. Eventually his Winchester Model 12 will come my way. His favorite rifle, his favorite knife and his favorite shotgun.

BigMag
February 2, 2012, 09:54 PM
My security six.. first pistol going to have it buried with me.

bsheets20061
February 3, 2012, 02:15 AM
1st. My iver johnson single shot .410 inherited from my grandfather

2nd. Ruger MK. 1 also inherited from my grandfather

3rd. GEW 88 from my father

4th. winchester model 94 made in 1951 the first rifle i bought with my own money

Armchair Bronco
February 3, 2012, 02:58 AM
Krag .30-40 Carbine (inherited from my Granddad)
CZ 452 Scout
Winchester 101 Trap Gun w/ Monte Carlo stock
M1 Garand

TNboy
February 3, 2012, 08:42 AM
I have a strict policy to never sell any guns but I see what you are getting at so here is a list of those that I could never bare to part with.

1) a 1974 production Ruger Mark II, left to me by my grandfather to whom I was very close. Got it out and shot it in the backyard just yesterday, it's a fine shooter.
2) a early 70's production Browning BL-22, my dad bought it new while in the military at the PX and gave it to me for my 15th birthday. It's a tack driver and probably gets shot 3-4 times a week.
3) Not mine yet but I hope to get it one day. A Browning Sweet 16 my grandmother gave to my grandfather for Christmas in 1958. My dad has it now, I love that gun, it just feels so right to handle. Oh and it's in near mint condition.

txgunsuscg
February 3, 2012, 08:47 AM
I would sell any of my guns if I had to except for my dad's Winchester .22, and my father in law's Service Six.

The Sarge
February 3, 2012, 08:48 AM
I use to say none of my guns will be sold. Then I acquired daughters, son-in-laws, grandsons and my guns grow legs and walk off. Glocks, S&W's, Marlins, C&R's just have a tendency to disappear around here. Oh they "ask"...and it goes something like this...."Dad this is really a nice pistol/rifle and I sure could use a good gun like this for self defense/hunting......"

Way I figure it when I am dead they will all get them anyway so I just look at it like Early Inheritance" :)

P.B.Walsh
February 3, 2012, 09:08 AM
My grandfater passed down three different ones, a Remington model 34, S&W Revolver, and a Savage 720. He also bought me a little .410 when I was a kid, that will never be sold either.

For myself, I will never be able to sell my Remington 700 (first rifle I bough myself), and a new model Winchester 70, this rifle is my favorite of my collection.

TenDriver
February 3, 2012, 11:36 AM
I sold two guns in my life...

I will always regret it, and never do it again...
Almost the same here. Sold three, regret two.

First was an SP-101 in 357. I had to sell it back to the guy who sold it to me per our agreement. I didn't enjoy seeing it go, but that was the deal.

Second was a Davis P-380. I bought it on my 21st birthday for about $40. I don't regret selling it as it wouldn't shoot it today, and let's face it... It was a Jennings.

Third was my Marlin 336CS. I bought it at pawn shop when I was going to Auburn for around $150. Never killed anything with it, but sold it off for what I bought it when I needed some quick $$$.

I've decided that with few exceptions I won't sell anymore guns. The only exceptions would be to upgrade. I'd sell my SKS if I had a newer / nicer one in hand. Same with my 870. I'd sell it if I had a Wingmaster in my other hand.

DM~
February 3, 2012, 11:39 AM
Most people would use "accuracy or precision" as their guide to "what's better" with 22 rifles. My Remington 547 is clearly more accurate. My Weatherby Mark XXII is a tad more accurate than the 541-S. Weatherby just dropped the bolt action Mark XXII from production at the end of the year. For a rifle you carry in the woods (carefully I might add), the 541-S is hard to beat.

For those that don't already know it, the Weatherby Mark XXII is just an Anschutz bbled action in a Weatherby stock.

Here's mine, as an Anschutz,

http://fototime.com/F7FC0C0784AE127/orig.jpg

I have quite a few firearms that i'll never sell, from the Rem. 1900 that dad bought in the 40's for $10.00,

http://fototime.com/1156D1822D7C312/orig.jpg

To something much newer. It's the custom .338-06 rifle i hunted with for many years, crawling through the alders on brown bear hunts,

http://fototime.com/8C6646AE4EF3469/orig.jpg

To my "go to gun", that's always been at my side, hunting all over Alaska and other places,

http://fototime.com/041B4EC7227E300/orig.jpg

And too many more to mention...

DM

Certaindeaf
February 3, 2012, 11:54 AM
Lots of warm and fuzzies here!
I don't hardly sell a firearm. One I did long ago was a refinished (parkerized) .380 and I regret it quite often. So nice and slim, perfect in the hand and a nickle hitter at 20 yards. Grrr.

That's a very nice pistol, M2..

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/Hazels32Colt.jpg

303tom
February 3, 2012, 12:19 PM
All of them !!!!!!!!!!!!!

c.latrans
February 3, 2012, 12:57 PM
My dads guns.

His sporterized 03-A3

His 1911

His Browning A5

His Winchester 52.

Those old guys learned lessons I have yet to learn..........he shot virtually every big game animal in North America and a bunch in Africa with that old Springfield. After WW 2 it never occurred to him that it was not enough for a grizzly. The Browning was for things with feathers or whatever was sneaking around the hen house, the 52 was for small stuff and the Colt was for things that went bump in the night.

westy39
February 3, 2012, 01:25 PM
I will have to say both of the duty weapons that I bought. I carried my S&W 686 (no dash) for approximately 9 years. Then our Department then went to the Glock 20 (10 MM) carried that for about 6 years, but I didn't like that much so I didn't buy it and later the PD went to the Glock 22 (S&W .40 Cal.) which is a sweet platform carried it for about 7 years and then retired after approximately 22 years. When I am gone my two daughters can each have one of my duty weapons, I'll let them decide who gets what. I had a great career and now I spend time with my wife and family while they still like me.

camar
February 3, 2012, 03:34 PM
Guns you keep for life? Every one of them!;)

cleardiddion
February 3, 2012, 04:34 PM
My very first rifle:
A Mosin-Nagant 91/30 that I bought two days after I turned 18.

That thing saw me through the end of high school, college, many fond and not so fond hunting trips, and much more. It may seem like a junk gun to a lot of folks but that thing won't leave my posession.

Rembrandt
February 3, 2012, 05:24 PM
They are all special , maybe only three that would fall into the "last to go" category....

Renaissance Browning High Power
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Firearms/RenaissanceHP.jpg?t=1242327848

Charlton Heston autographed rifle
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/heston4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/heston2.jpg?t=1263259898

Winchester 52B Sporter
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Img_3375.jpg?t=1242911099

wctriumph
February 3, 2012, 06:38 PM
Remington 581, first gun I ever owned, was a Christmas present when I was 13.
Remington 550-1, first rifle I ever shot, older than me, received from my father when he passed.
Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk, first handgun I purchased on my own. Got it on my 21st birthday (before waiting periods were around).
S&W 686 4", first issue, my baby and I will be buried with this one.

Inebriated
February 4, 2012, 04:15 AM
If there's one I've got that I'll never sell, it's my 870. The first gun I bought when I turned 18. That, and the BB gun I got when I was like, 10. Cleaned it up last year... A little rust to remove and a surprisingly dirty barrel for an air gun.

mbopp
February 4, 2012, 05:18 AM
S&W 4" M19-3, bought new in '75 or so. It's now retired from 357 ammo but with +P loads is still my favorite "walk in the woods" gun.

thump_rrr
February 4, 2012, 07:25 AM
Any gun I own period!

I've read too many threads that contain the phrase "I wish I never sold that gun".

The only reason I would sell any gun is if it wasn't accurate enough for its intended purpose or reliable enough.
I doubt that I'll need to sell any to put food on the table.

CajunBass
February 4, 2012, 07:49 AM
I've bought, sold, and traded a lot of guns over the years. They're just guns. They don't mean much to me individually. I don't have any that I wouldn't sell, or trade under the right circumstances.

I do have a couple that I've had for years though. Mostly because they weren't worth selling or trading.

Sears/Roebuck 12 ga pump (Mossberg 500) I paid $99.00 for it back about 1977.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/Sears2.jpg

I've killed a few deer with this one, and toted it a lot of miles, but still, there isn't much sentimental about it. I just know it's not worth a lot, so I keep it. Haven't shot it in years.

The other one is this Marlin 39A, that I got about 1982 or so. I can't remember what I paid for it, but it was a LOT back then. People thought I was nuts to spend so much on "just a 22."

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/Marlin39-A.jpg

Great gun, and I probably could get a good price for it today, but I keep it. Accurate as all get out with the right ammo. But it's heavy as a bar of lead and I don't like the tube magazine: Too much trouble to load and unload. Again, I haven't shot it in years. I like a 10/22 better for hunting or plinking. My boys will get it one of these days.

The rest of them I'd sell or trade tomorrow if the right deal came along.

Zach S
February 4, 2012, 02:00 PM
I'm not an old timer (hope to be someday!), but I have a couple that aren't going anywhere.

One is an AMT 1911, that I rebuilt into a dedicated host for a conversion kit. I'm looking forward to teaching my little girl to shoot with the same pistol I learned with, especially now that its accurate and reliable, not to mention a soft shooter that's cheap to feed.

I also have an early Ruger 10-22 that belonged to my grandfather. My grandmother gave it to me a few years after I got into guns. I cleaned it up, zeroed the scope and tucked it away in the safe, haven't had it out much. My grandfather passed away long before I was born, so aside from bloodlines its the only connection I have to him. I know I tucked it away and pretty much forgot about it, but its not going anywhere until my daughter gets it.

crazy-mp
February 4, 2012, 03:05 PM
I'm not old but I wont part with my Garand

I feel the same way about my IHC M1, I also have a original S&W U.S. Navy Victory model that would never be sold as long as i am alive.

snakeman
February 4, 2012, 03:07 PM
Here's one savage 99e 308

http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o483/quarrycreek/99e.jpg?t=1328383971

Claude Clay
February 4, 2012, 03:14 PM
arthritis and getting close to relocating has me to thinking about disaccumulating...
but keepers are Kimber Custom Stainless Gold Match w/ 22lr conversion...M96 Swede 6.5x55...Colt 1903...CZ 452 super brno...S&W M60 PRO 3"...Sig Trailside w/ L&G 2moa

i hope my daughter ends up living close to the wife & me as she will have most everything as time gets away from me.

Hunter125
February 4, 2012, 03:37 PM
I'm not an old timer either, but I will always have the GP 100 my dad gave me, the XDm my parents and inlaws gave me for college graduation, the Model 60 my dad gave me at 7, and likely the 870 I bought at 14. I'm getting used to the idea that the rest of my guns I can sell or trade for something I like better.

ol' scratch
February 5, 2012, 01:24 PM
My single shot American Arms .410. My dad purchased it for me for my 12th birthday.

W.E.G.
February 5, 2012, 02:07 PM
Best to have a plan for keeping every one of them, and a back-up plan for selling every one of them.

And a plan C for something in-between.

Last one I would part with would probably be any one of several 9mm handguns.
Not for sentimental reasons, but simply utility.

I've got several guns that have "sentimental value," but I realize I can't take them with me to the grave or to the nursing home.

wlewisiii
February 5, 2012, 03:47 PM
Guns are guns. Some are nicer, prettier or so on than others but in the end, just inanimate tools. I'd probably regret selling my near mint Model 10, but if something I wanted more at that time came up (a nice double right before bird season) then I'd sell it as I've bought and sold many others.

I can tell you which ones would be the last to go (Win 94, that Model 10), but anything is fair game if the price is right.

jrdolall
February 5, 2012, 05:19 PM
I have never sold or traded a gun. I have a bunch of rifles and shotguns that I have not fired in many years but I can't find it in my heart to get rid of any of them. I have 23 rifles in .22 caliber because I can't pass up a $50-100 good looking rifle. Nothing against those of you who do trade since I am always looking for your trade-ins. My wife has long ago realized that the top of every closet is full of guns in gunsocks.

Robtattoo
February 5, 2012, 05:28 PM
My plain Jane, run of the mill Henry H001 .22
It' running somewhere around 32,000 shots now without a single missfire! I carry it constantly around the farm, I plink with it, shoot paper, use it for pest control & small game hunting & I just love it to death!

ApacheCoTodd
February 5, 2012, 07:24 PM
My first 1911 - though, like George Washington's axe, little of the original remains.

My CMP Garand

USMC Det-1 Kimber

.32 1903 Colt

All will remain - always barring, well, whatever.

My Stainless Dan Wesson would be here were it not stolen along with my truck. Damnation and eternal hellatious torment for the molesters of women and the thieves of firearms and trucks!

rickrobe
February 17, 2012, 12:06 AM
There are two:
A Winchester pump 22 chambered for shorts only that my grandpa bought in 1912 and a Gaspar y Arizaga SxS 16ga grouse gun that my great uncle gave to me 45 years ago.

Both will go to my son and, hopefully, to his son.

threefeathers
February 17, 2012, 12:29 AM
2nd Gen Colt SAA.

Tomcat47
February 17, 2012, 12:35 AM
My "Ranger" Bolt action .22 rifle - 7 shot mag. My dad gave it to me when I was about 12! I Think Winchester made these for Montgomery Ward in the day?

I have many firearms I love, but this one is worth more than all the rest put together! just the way it is.....

broadsidebarn
February 17, 2012, 02:49 AM
1. Limited edition super bearcat
2. Smith model 41 (dad gave to me)
3. Smith model 66-1 (grand dads gun that he kept in his truck)
I still remember him finishing off my first deer with it when I was 12.
4. Old pump .22 (once again my grandfathers)
He was basically my second dad. Spent every minute I could out in the field with him.
5. Old 70's bar .270 - current hunting riffle
6. Jap light twelve shotgun.

Elkins45
February 17, 2012, 07:36 AM
Any gun that belonged to my parents, uncle or grandparents.

wlewisiii
February 17, 2012, 09:38 AM
Ok, I just got one I don't expect to ever sell - Mauser C96 Bolo. :D I'll rebuild, get relined & refinished and all those things that kill it for the collector but make it safe and fun to shoot. It cost that near mint Model 10 I had but there are many more Model 10's in the world than there are shootable C96's so as far as I'm concerned that's a pretty darn good trade off.

warbirdlover
February 17, 2012, 10:43 AM
Unfortunately, over the years, life has forced me to sell the guns I would never sell....

My custom built (I did it) FN Mauser Supreme .243 on a Fajen walnut stock.

My "mint" 1903 Springfield

My Browning A-Bolt Micro-Medalion in 7mm-08

My H&R Ultra .243 semi-auto with the prettiest wood stock ever made.

My S&W Model 27 .357 mag (8-3/8" barrel)

But I still have these that I'll never sell...

Ruger 77 MkII all-weather .300 Win Mag in a Boyds laminated stock

Remington 700 SPS Buckmasters .270 Win

Stoeger Condor 12 ga. O/U

(The Stoeger might go if I can ever afford a Beretta O/U)

ElToro
February 17, 2012, 11:02 AM
I have several never sell guns. They were all gifts or inherited and have special meaning. Includingseveral from my recently passed grandpa including the family - 1885 vintage parker bros damascus hammer double that belonged to my great great grandpa. Also included are some guns that have been gifted to me by a good friend and shooting mentor. I used to work with him he's about my dads age and doesn't have any kids of his own. He has given me several really nice pieces over the years and sold some others to me at stupid prices they may as well have been free. Also my colt lightweight commander belonged to a friend who dies when he wasn't even 30 of heart issues I was in my late 20's. I bought it from his parents. I think I may give it to another friend who was much closer to him but didn't have the cash to buy it back then

tuckerdog1
February 18, 2012, 11:07 AM
I have 3. And because all were gifts. A gifted firearm is a special thing for me.

1. A Winchester Model 55. A single shot 22LR. My 1st gun. Dad gave it to me after I completed a firearms safety course when I was 14. He paid $15 for it back then.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=37054&d=1142286380

2. A Colt Woodsman circa 1933 ( I think ). A gift from my Great Uncle shortly before he passed away. I remember he told me he bought it in a pawn shop sometime in the 1950s & paid $50.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=37055&d=1142286439

3. A Freedom Arms 454 Casull. A birthday gift from my wife when I turned 50. She said I could have a used Premier Grade or a new Field Grade. Told her under the circumstances, I waned something that was just from her, so new Field Grade. She still paid a lot:)

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=60332&d=1183589626

kimberkid
February 18, 2012, 06:16 PM
For some reason none of my kids are really "gun nuts", so they will most likely all go eventually ... on the last to go list would be my dads Savage Little Scout ... because its not worth anything ... shot out barrel from shooting steel shot 22's, broken block and a bent nail for a handle, rusted/pitted and probably wouldn't shoot; but it has a story and makes a great wall hanger.

The last of mine to go, going back wards will probably be my Kimber Gold Match Stainless and Beretta M70 in 22LR will be the last; 1949 Marlin 39A that I rescued, restored & re-barreled and my SiG556-SBR ... also close to the bottom would be my M16, MP5 and AUG A2

I don't like to think of giving any of them up.

Ignition Override
February 19, 2012, 02:07 AM
All of them, other than the Yugo Mauser, because of my lack of skill with the original sight.
Counting my blessings that the ARs' popularity seriously limits price increases for milsurps.

Retcop
February 19, 2012, 04:07 AM
I have some with sentimental value (given to me by family or friends) two that date back to when I was around 14 yrs old. another was given to me at my retirement as LEO engraved with my rank, name, and the year's of service. I am now 73 yrs old and really plan to keep all of them and after I pass on my children and grand children will be left with them.

royal barnes
February 19, 2012, 08:53 PM
Just three:
1. Winchester bolt action .22 single shot from my Grandfather
2. Browning A5 from my Dad.
2. Smith Model 60 no- that I carried for years as a BUG or off-duty.

The rest will be sold off when I'm too old to shoot or divided between my kids when I'm gone.

karlb
February 20, 2012, 01:30 PM
I'm not THAT old, but the few I'll never sell include my Colt 1991A1 that I bought when I ETS'd in '96, my Mossberg 46M, and my Grandpas Remington 550. The rest of my guns are tools. If they no longer serve the purpose they were bought for, they get sold. I'm getting ready to sell off another half dozen or so. Impulse buying sucks!

Belexandor
February 21, 2012, 04:59 AM
I'm not all that old either and I only have one gun in my current (small) collection that I will never get rid of for any reason:

A manhattan arms 12 gauge SxS with a damascus twist steel barrel. It was my dad's prized possession before he gave all the guns to me.

ODCMP
February 21, 2012, 05:46 AM
Model 41 smith still more accurate than many 22 rifles.

GuysModel94
March 22, 2012, 11:33 PM
Model 94 (1972): The first non .22 i bought
Model 39A Texan: 1st gun i bought
S&W Model 66 (SS).357mag: Only revolver i've ever owned or wanted to own.

Swing
March 22, 2012, 11:35 PM
Hmmm .... my M1911 and, maybe, my old Stevens 511A SXS. The latter has zero value other than that which is sentimental.

Mrcymstr
March 23, 2012, 02:17 PM
I cant ever see myself parting with my Remington 1911 r1 simply because I bought it the very day I turned 21 so it holds a kind of symbolic meaning. But of course that's not set in stone.

But there are 2 I own that will never part from me come hell or high water. An H&R jr. Topper 20 ga and a nylon 66 that's beat to heck. Im sure you say "but why those are cheap and easily replaceable" well the h&r was the last christmas gift I got from papaw when I was much younger.... he died only months after giving me the gun I'd begged for since I was probably 6... and the nylon 66 was also papaws that mom picked out of his collection before my mamaw sold the rest....

monet61
March 23, 2012, 09:31 PM
S&W Model 39. Wouldn't take anything for it.
Any and all of my S&W Hand Ejectors.

Grassman
March 23, 2012, 10:20 PM
My dad's Ruger M77 in .308, Remington Targetmaster .22, and an old Mauser all given to me upon my dads death. I will not part with them under any circumstance.

FadingSwordsman
March 23, 2012, 10:29 PM
An old action Ruger blackhawk, .44 magnum, 4 digit serial number... Inherited from my late grandfather.

Other than that, I would only have a slightly higher than normal problem selling any given firearm that I own or will own.

Edit: And I have an old single shot .22 that I would have trouble selling for moral reasons... Mostly because it was used as a suicide gun... =/

Gtimothy
March 24, 2012, 01:32 PM
There is only one gun that I would NEVER sell...the very first gun I ever owned....Stevens model 56 Buckhorn .22. It was a gift from my Grandpa when I was 6. No real value but sentimental. Excellent shooter as well! All of my other guns have prices on them, you only have to figure out if you can afford them or not! ;)

Sauer Grapes
March 24, 2012, 07:23 PM
Mine "never sell" firearms are nothing special but, were given to me by my father and grandfather.

Ithaca M49 single shot .22. {My first gun}
LeFever Nitro Special 16ga SxS {grandfather gave it to me}
Remington M511 {Scoremaster} bolt action .22. {grandfather again}
Browning A-5 light-12 {dad's gun}

I doubt at this point I would ever sell another gun in my lifetime. I will probably give some to my newphews at some point.

dubya450
March 25, 2012, 09:55 AM
Im not an old timer unless 25 years old counts but 3 guns that will never be sold and that ill pass down to my son:

*Marlin 336r.c. 30-30 1948 production - my first centerfire rifle. Handed down from grandpa. Shot my first deer with it.

*an old savage bolt action 22 lr - my mom's first gun that ended up being mine when she died when i was a kid.

*Winchester model 70 supergrade 300 win mag (new FN made) - my very favorite rifle. One that I'm excited to keep in the family and pass down to the grandkids. Boy how I wish my grandpa had "better taste" back in the 40's and 50's and had a pre-64 supergrade to hand down instead of the Marlin! Lol either way I still love that Marlin.

1858remington
March 26, 2012, 03:30 AM
All my Blackpowder 1858 Remingtons.... of course.

Keltec PLR-16
Mosin Nagant M44
Ruger Vaquero birds head 45colt
Springfield 1911
Glock 27
CZ-75
Browning Challenger 2
IZH-35m
Bond arms derringer 44special/357mag
CZ-82
Stevens 311-A
Thompson Center Hawken

Manny
March 26, 2012, 04:29 AM
Pretty much all of mine are for sale for the right price, though I try and keep "gun money" in my guns and I'll always have something(s) for defense and target, I don't believe in being unarmed. My liking for firearms is in the freedom they represent and the capabilites they give me, primarily self defense.

The only gun I've ever owned with sentimental significance is a Sears shotgun, 16ga pump that was my dad's. I got it as the eldest after he passed when I was 8 but gave it to my youngest brother who wasn't born until 2weeks after dads passing. Beyond that nothing gifted nor of great personal meaning.

To me guns are tools, very cool tools, but still tools. I like my tools alot but believe first and formost in function and utility. My most valued guns are a Glock 17L and a RRA national match flattop AR. I also have a strong yen for a Ruger LCR. All outstanding in their own way, but generally not alot to be sentimental about.

OregonJohnny
March 26, 2012, 01:08 PM
1. Any firearm that is/was handed down to me from either my father or my father-in-law.

2. Any firearm that has been given to me as a gift.

3. My S&W 1911. It was the first gun I actually picked out and paid for myself.

4. My Beretta 92FS. It was the gun I always dreamed about owning some day, from about the age of 8 or 9, and so now that I have one I will always keep it around.

5. My S&W M&P15. I owned a Bushmaster years back, it was my first and only AR at the time. I traded it in on something else, and spent the next 3 or 4 years missing an AR15. So now that I have one back in my collection, it isn't going anywhere.

Just about all my other guns are fair game for possible trades or sales, but I don't like the thought of loosing any of them.

pockets
March 26, 2012, 02:14 PM
Ain't no such animal for me.
My likes and dislikes have changed so much over the decades, no tool or toy has been 'for life'.

SimplyChad
March 26, 2012, 02:31 PM
Im only 22 but I have a few

My dads 742 in 3006 the first gun that was ever just mine. (After it ws stolen for his truck for 25 yrs)
His dads .22 I dont have it yet but the story is he got it for his 7th birthday back in 1919
My mom's dads SxS 10 guage never seen another like it.
My Marlin 30-30 or 45-70 my first dedicated truck guns.

The one ill be buried with if I dont have kids. My great grandfathers peace maker. Im told it was first gen. I really dont know ive never taken it from the case in my simi adult life. Won it in a bet with my dad

nosmr2
March 26, 2012, 09:04 PM
I would never sell my:
RIA 1911 that my mom, dad, wife and I all chipped in a little to pay for around birthday time a few years ago
My Colt AR-15 my wife surprised the hell out of me and gave it to me for my 40th birthday.
My Yugo Mauser on a Boyd's stock I finished. It turned out real nice and has some personality. I know it's not one of the "desirable" Mausers, but it works for me.

I haven't received any guns passed down from relatives. Though it will be hard to sell dad's stuff when I end up with it.

Everything else is for sale if the price is right.

mingansr
March 26, 2012, 09:48 PM
none of mine are old like yours, but

1. Ruger M77 MKII, stainless, in .30/06. First of three guns i won in raffles at Milwaukee Sports Show. sweet.

2. my XD 40. i love it more each day.

3. ........the new SA XDS, for slim, when it comes out in .40sw.

4. and probably many more to come, tho i'm in the golden years already. cripes, life is too short!

Nail Shooter
March 26, 2012, 09:48 PM
I have numerous handguns and long guns. Only ever sold one in my entire life. It was a Colt Combat Commander--what a beautiful gun! Felt so good in the hand but just could not get it to run reliably.

That money went to buy my first Glock, a G19. I tell myself that I can quit buying them anytime I want to. :D

Nail

oneounceload
March 26, 2012, 10:17 PM
I agree with those who talk about the guns handed down from a family member - there's something special about those, especially if they have a long history attached to them. I have a Colt DS first year production my dad used as an off duty gun - it may be a safe queen, but it will always have a place in the safe

jolly roger
April 1, 2012, 09:44 PM
My father in laws old Remington Model 12 22 pump completely brown patina and a ringed barrel... He said he tried to shoot a frog when he was about 10 and got mud in the barrel. That dang thing will still shoot into about an inch and a half at 50yds even with those lousy buckhorns and the slight barrel ring. Go figure...

He died 3 years ago at 80. A good man who raised a good daughter :)

My wife's grandfather's Colt 1908 Vest Pocket 25ACP. Bought in 1930. With exception of very slight pitting on one small spot on slide it is in excellent shape and still shoots just fine.

JTHunter
April 1, 2012, 11:38 PM
Let's see -

After my father passed away, his wife brought me a revolver of his that she wanted out of her house. It's a .32-20 that's about 70 years old and, according to several brokers at the gunshows I've taken it to, it would be 98% + IF it was still in the box.

Among my grandfather's effects were three pistols. One is the old .38 that he kept in his store for decades. I remember as a child seeing the butt-end of that gun on the shelf under the register. It may be a cop's old "duty" gun as it has a grooved top-strap and fixed front sight. There is virtually no bluing left, just a brownish patina and, using .38 Specials, the accuracy sux. Don't know if the barrel is shot out or if it is actually a .38 Long Colt. The two gunsmiths in this area that have examined it can't determine it's true caliber, but they believe that it is nearly 100 years old. :confused:

Then there is an old Colt .32 ACP. It may also be shot out and, according to its serial number, was built sometime between 1921 and 1928.

Then there's the "new" gun. It's a Colt Jr. in .25 ACP that was NIB (until I got it!) and actually shoots better than the other two with only a 1.5" barrel! :eek:

These four will never go anywhere but to another family member as I don't have any kids. If, and I do mean "IF", I can get my 5 y.o. nephew interested in guns during what is left of my life, he'll get them. If not, they go with me to the grave.

After all, I've got to have SOME fun in H311! :evil:

searcher451
April 3, 2012, 10:49 AM
I've got a handful of pistols and a rifle or two that were handed down from my father and grandfather; those will never go. The first pistol that I ever bought, a Ruger Bearcat, is another that will remain in the collection for as long as I'm alive. In fact, most all of the ones that I have now will eventually to go to my son and daughter; I can only think of perhaps three or four that are disposable ... trade bait for other pistols I'd like to own.

Zippidydudah
April 4, 2012, 05:43 AM
Still have my winchester model 77 with tubular mag, still looks like new and shoots good; still hane my O3-A3, bought when I was 17 to go deer hunting, still use it too. My high standard supermatic has nailed some targets others couldn't do with a rifle probably the best pistolmade for the money; my son willenjoy when its time. At 68 I won't buy manybmore guns but have enjoyed all of them, even the ugly ones.

Suburban Redneck
April 5, 2012, 10:25 PM
I've only traded one rifle, and I still regret it :( :banghead:
It was an 1879 (?) Winchester .22LR single shot lever action.
I'll never do that again, all my firearms are keepers to me, and after I'm gone, my friends already know who gets what... just like my bikes.

willroute
April 8, 2012, 03:02 PM
Any of My 1911's (Colt, Wilson and Springfield). Something about 1911 that just speaks to you.

Browning 3:16 "Through me ye shall have a great pistol that shall leave giant holes in those who cross your path" :-)

mws65
April 8, 2012, 04:43 PM
Any of my dad's old guns in my win 94. Pushed a lawnmower in the early70s for it.

MuleRyder
April 8, 2012, 06:28 PM
I have several guns that I wouldn't sell for sentimental reasons. If I had to pick one it would be my Stevens 311 12ga SXS that was given to me by my father. He bought it when he was in high school. It's no beauty queen, but it means everything to me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Guns you keep for life" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!