Marlin 1895 lever popping open

PDA

x_wrench
February 2, 2012, 05:52 PM
i have a guide gun that i have owned about 4 years i guess. 45/70 caliber. i have run some , alright, quite a few pretty warm loads through it. but never had a over pressure situation. i have always stayed within the printed reloading specs. anyway, the problem is the lever started to pop open a while back. i have been shooting it this way for a few months. it never slams open, it just pops slightly open. today, i decided that i had better see if it was me, or if it was the gun itself. i loaded in several trapdoor loads. on the first one, it did not pop open. but the next 4 it did. every time. i put the rifle on my hip, and only inserted my trigger finger into the opening. i wanted to be sure i was not somehow manipulating the lever during recoil. so, what actually keeps this shut, and is this something that i can repair, or do i really need to send it in for repairs? i have never shipped a long gun, but at the cost of shipping a pistol, i can spend $60.00 or better for parts and still be ahead of the game, plus not have to wait weeks or months to get my gun back. i have an exploded view of it, and i am pretty mechanical. i have not yet really torn it down, but i will. i would just like to know exactly what to look for as i inspect the pieces parts. thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 1895 lever popping open" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
February 2, 2012, 07:43 PM
The first thing I would check is the lever latch pin & spring in the lever.
And it's seat in the lower tang.

Part# 21 & 23.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0/sid=777/schematicsdetail/1895

It might be sticking with dirt & dried oil, or the sporing might be getting weak.

rc

x_wrench
February 2, 2012, 10:06 PM
is the top part of the locking lug supposed to have a slight bevel to it where it rides against the bolt? on the surfaces that contact when the gun is fired, and the bolt is pushing back against the locking lug. the locking lug has a slight angle to it. exactly where the two meet. i would have to guess (because i have no way to measure the angle) about 5 - 10 degrees.

and yes. it is quite dirty in there. i was shooting some reduced loads with imr sr4759 in it. and i can not believe how many unburnt kernals are all over the inside of this. it is not the only dirt in there. but it makes up the vast majoity of it.

788Ham
February 3, 2012, 12:42 AM
Spray some carburetor cleaner in there, then use compressed air to blow that crap out of there, should do the trick. Then lightly re-oil things. Carrying 1/2 the countryside in there will do that! If unburned powder is a continual thing, repeat as needed.

Red Cent
February 4, 2012, 02:47 PM
21 & 23.

That is one strong little spring. It is either broke, stuck, or both. I just finished doing an action job on my 336 in 38-55. Very clean, well taken care of rifle, and it was difficult opening the lever. I cut a coil at a time after polishing the "cap" until I felt good about the resistance.

Little curious about your trigger hand position. Are you not holding the lever closed at the shot?

x_wrench
February 8, 2012, 09:13 PM
typically, my hand naturally holds the lever closed as i shoot. but lately, unless i make a conscious effort to hold it closed firmly, it pops open.

UPDATE: today, i took it out after cleaning everything up. with a different 1200 fps load (12 grains of bullseye), it still pops open when i shoot. out of curiosity, i loaded and shot 2 other loads. one was my normal hunting load of 42 grains of reloder 7, and the other was my max bear hunting load. it pops open about the same amount on all of the loads. so the higher pressures are not forcing the locking lug to become disengaged. looks like it is time to drive the lever locking plunger pin out of the lever, and see if the spring is broken. the lock itself, looks in fine condition with a nice sharp edge. the spring seems like it is working, and after cleaning, i could feel the much sharper latching action when the lever was closed. but it is not enough to keep it closed.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 1895 lever popping open" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!