newb question

PDA

hpe1979
February 3, 2012, 03:01 PM
hi all,

new to the site and gunning in general,

if i had a ruger 22/45 with a threaded barrel, could i add a screw on barrel extension to essentially turn it into a rifle/carbine with better accuracy?

my gut instinct is that this would violate a BATF law of be mechanically unfeasible,

thanks in advance

If you enjoyed reading about "newb question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NavyLCDR
February 3, 2012, 03:40 PM
be mechanically unfeasible

I would think the rifling would have to match up exactly...

A longer barrel, by itself, does not affect accuracy.

rcmodel
February 3, 2012, 03:45 PM
Nope.

As NavyLCDR said, getting the two sets of rifling to match up would be nearly impossible unless it was assembled & rifled in a unit to begin with.

Then as soon as the joint threads wore in, it would be off again.

Besides that.

A longer barrel would be no more accurate then a short barrel, unless you extended the iron sight radius to the end of the barrel extension.

With an optic sight there would be no difference.

Adding a stock to a handgun is against the law unless you register it with the ATF and pay the tax.

rc

Chopdoktor
February 3, 2012, 03:51 PM
Also- Accuracy is not a function of barrel length, velocity is. To echo NavyLCDR and rcmodel above me, you can't really do a barrel extension because of the rifling... Plus, all you'd end up with is a nose-heavy handgun, unless you managed to rig up a stock. Then, as you suspected, you're in NFA territory...creating a short-barreled rifle out of a handgun (unless you welded on a barrel extension and had a 16" overall barrel length, and 26" from back of buttstock to barrel tip.) Pick up a used Ruger 10/22 for under $200. That'll satisfy your want for a .22 carbine :-]

Ramone
February 3, 2012, 04:22 PM
to clarify:

you can put as long a barrel as you like on a pistol (legally) but if you put a stock on it, you are in violation.

12gaugeTim
February 3, 2012, 04:32 PM
Correct.
Making it less concealable is in fact, illegal without the paperwork, believe it or not.

hpe1979
February 3, 2012, 04:35 PM
didnt think bout the rifling.. :) totally answered my question

the stock addition/BATF rules seem a little weird.

thanks

del4
February 3, 2012, 05:11 PM
To add to what has already been said, a longer barrel is actually less accurate because it will flex more than a shorter barrel. All that you gain is velocity, but velocity will give you a flatter trajectory.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Flopsweat
February 3, 2012, 05:15 PM
A lot of firearms regulations are a little weird. Look up 922r - it'll make your head spin. Or check out this thread: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=620014 A lady is writing about trying to get a gun in D.C. The process will blow your mind. Plus she's a good writer. And kind of cute.

Welcome to THR. Stay safe.

hpe1979
February 4, 2012, 05:28 PM
thanks everyone!

i feel like i just "leveled up" (me thinks im gonna like this site)

Rich_S
February 13, 2012, 02:52 PM
You should buy a target pistol if you want a longer barrel....

Dr T
February 13, 2012, 06:26 PM
BTW, the reason that the 22/45 has a threaded barrel is to prepare it to accept a suppressor.

tds

If you enjoyed reading about "newb question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!