Ammo Recommendations for Ruger 77 mk 2 compact.

PDA

Cluster Bomb
February 3, 2012, 07:29 PM
I just took home my Ruger 77 mk 2 compact in 243 win.

I am unfamiliar with small cals, just 22lr. also my 2 hand guns are large cals. I am also rather unfamilure with reloads. (ie heavy bullet low gr, etc) ammo would have to be factory.

Im looking to shoot deer and coyote. Specifically deer. However the deer round needs to max out at 200 yards but be killer 100yrds and under.

the coyote round should be deadly above 100yrds.

I have also read some place that the Ruger 77 compacts cant handle anything under 85gr. Is this true?

thanks in advance.
Matt

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo Recommendations for Ruger 77 mk 2 compact." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Art Eatman
February 3, 2012, 09:01 PM
Most folks have had good results with bullets around 100 grains for deer. Folks on our lease killed deer out to around 300 yards, quite easily.

There are several good coyote loads. Federal loads the Sierra 85-grain HPBT, which is as accurate in my .243 as my handloads had always been since long before they produced it. :) Any 55- or 70-grain load will work just as well.

kaferhaus
February 4, 2012, 08:22 AM
All of my 243s like the Hornady 55gr varmint load. They also all like the Federal 85gr premium load as well as the Hornady 80gr GMX. The GMX can do double duty as both a deer and yote load.

For Deer I use 95Gr handloads.... but I've had consistent luck with the 100gr Privi-Partizan loads.... and they're cheap.

If your Ruger compact shoots well..... then you've got a good un... most of them do not. I've had several of them in 4 different calibers. Had to send them all down the road due to poor accuracy.

Abel
February 4, 2012, 08:40 AM
I believe that your Ruger has a 1:9" twist rate barrel. 85-100gr would be best. They'll get on out to 300 big steps easily.

Cluster Bomb
February 4, 2012, 09:52 AM
thanks for the info.Thanks Abel for confirming my supposition.

Cocked & Locked
February 4, 2012, 09:59 AM
In my Browning BLR .243 I've had great luck with Federal Power-Shok 100 grain. It's Federals least expensive line of hunting ammo and replaced the Federal Classic line.

It shoots 1" groups at 100 yards from sand bags and deals a quick death blow to deer. Never shot a coyote with it though but would have to do the job.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo Recommendations for Ruger 77 mk 2 compact." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!