non permanent glue for polymer stock?

PDA

ns66
February 3, 2012, 09:45 PM
Hi, i want to glue a piece of thin rubber layer on my ar-15 polymer stock butt to provide some recoil cushion, i know some companies sell recoil pads but i think those are overkill, i just want a thin and lighweight piece of rubber on the stock butt

but i don't want to glue the rubber on the stock using permanent glue like super glue, is there any glue that can hold it ok (don't have to be super strong since there's really not much force on it), and can be cleanly removed if i want to remove the pad?

right now i am using double sided tape, but that's too weak

thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "non permanent glue for polymer stock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
M-Cameron
February 3, 2012, 10:56 PM
get some elmers spray on glue....

..spray the rubber pad down and allow to fully dry(this is important, do not apply when wet)

once glue is dry(a few hours or so), simply stick it onto the stock...

this should provide a good secure hold, and still be relatively removable.

ns66
February 4, 2012, 12:13 AM
just general purpose spray on? there are lots of elmers glues
i will give it a try, thanks

Clipper
February 4, 2012, 12:29 AM
Just get some GOOP silicone cement. It bonds by surface tension and will peel off cleanly when you want to remove it.
You can also go to the craft store and buy neoprene in various thicknesses that have adhesive backing. Just peel and stick.

Jeff H
February 4, 2012, 12:33 AM
Rubber cement?

Shadow 7D
February 4, 2012, 01:54 AM
The general stuff sold at the craft section of the supermarket
silicone doesn't peel clean off, but it just takes a bit of scraping to get the rest off
Rubber cement, there are others that would work and clean with solvents like acetone.

M-Cameron
February 4, 2012, 09:18 AM
just general purpose spray on? there are lots of elmers glues
i will give it a try, thanks

yeah, its just a general purpose spray glue

THIS (http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/941210/Elmers-Spray-Adhesive-4-Oz-Can/?Channel=Google&mr:trackingCode=971B6F1B-EC81-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&cm_mmc=Mercent-_-Googlepla-_-Office_Supplies+Tape_Adhesives-_-941210&mr:adType=pla) is the stuff i use, but ide imagine anything that says "general" or "multi purpose" will likely work the same

i use this stuff to glue craft foam to my cheek piece......and its never given me any significant problems when i want to replace it.

joed
February 4, 2012, 10:05 AM
+1 on Silicone, it will hold better then glue and can be taken off if need be. There are different grades for just about anything. Do not use any that have the numbers 5200 on them as that is permanent. 4200 is the next grade down and is semi permanent. The stuff they use on windows is what you want. Guarantee you won't have to fool with it. With Elmers it will probably fall off the first time you fire the gun.

Elmers? I'm 63 years old and haven't seen that stuff ever work on anything.

ns66
February 4, 2012, 12:43 PM
thank you all for your suggestions

If you enjoyed reading about "non permanent glue for polymer stock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!