Converting 91/30 to 45/70?

PDA

macadore
February 3, 2012, 09:59 PM
I don't normally do things like this, but I have found a project gun and need to know it it looks doable. The rifle is a 91/30 with a 45/70 barrel on it. According to the seller it will need a modified magazine to accept the 45/70. It may need work on the feed ramp to get the 45/70 to feed.

Instead of modifying the bolt face to accept the 45/70, his idea was to modify the 45/70 case rem to fit in the bolt face of the 1891. That sounds like too much trouble. Would it be possible to modify the bolt face to accept the 45/70 case? There's not much metal to grind off on the bold face. Would it be possible to get a magazine from another military bolt action that would accommodate the 45/70 round and be made to fin in the 91/30 stock?

Does this sound like something that can be salvaged for not too much additional money or is it a hopeless mess?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Converting 91/30 to 45/70?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wildchild2010
February 3, 2012, 10:09 PM
Google it, I looked into doin for the 444 Marlin. You will be surprised of all the info on line about it.

NCsmitty
February 3, 2012, 10:38 PM
The issues with the magazine is why the seller sold it. You might be able to make it a single shot without a lot of investment. Do you know if the barrel is properly installed and headspaced?
Mosins work best utilizing a wildcat based on the original case.

NCsmitty

macadore
February 3, 2012, 11:04 PM
The issues with the magazine is why the seller sold it. You might be able to make it a single shot without a lot of investment. Do you know if the barrel is properly installed and headspaced?
Mosins work best utilizing a wildcat based on the original case.

NCsmitty
The barrel is supposedly headspaced correctly. I would take it to a gunsmith before I did anything. Can the bolt face be made to accommodate the 45/70 rim? It looks like the rim is too wide to fit.

Clipper
February 3, 2012, 11:34 PM
I'm planning one in .348 rimless. I'll be turning & thinning the .348s rim to the Mosin's rim diameter & thickness and then adding an extractor groove. I'll use a case sizing die in my lathe to hold the case for turning. A hundred or so cases will likely last my lifetime, so it's really not that big an inconvienence.

Clark
February 4, 2012, 01:34 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=127760
I converted a Mosin Nagant to 45/70 in March 2003.
I have just shot it single shot.

I ground a little tool to get into the bolt face and open it up.

Gunnerboy
February 4, 2012, 10:29 AM
Its not that hard to have a machinest make a new bolt head for those mosins to the proper dimensions of a 45-70 rim probably lookin at 50-80$ for one to be made

If you enjoyed reading about "Converting 91/30 to 45/70?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!