Berry's new Hollow Point bullets

PDA

bds
February 4, 2012, 11:00 AM
Looks like Speer Gold Dot met its match. Look forward to trying them out.

Our New Hollow Points (http://www.berrysmfg.com/products-c117-New_Hollow_Points.aspx) are going through process development with a handful of OEM customers, our target date for release will be mid-summer. We'll be offering the hollow points initially in .45, .40 and 9mm and will get it into the full line by the end of the year. At this time we are not taking orders but as soon as we have an update it will be posted on the website. The goal is to replace all of our current Hollow Point bullets with our new design starting with the most popular calibers. Our customer service reps won't have any additional information on the new HP's, stay tuned to the website for updates.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=158311&stc=1&d=1328367520

If you enjoyed reading about "Berry's new Hollow Point bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Waywatcher
February 4, 2012, 11:08 AM
Cool. Looks like a Winchester Ranger Bonded was blended with a Speer Gold Dot. Has features of both.

buck460XVR
February 4, 2012, 11:23 AM
You got my attention.

Walkalong
February 4, 2012, 01:48 PM
I received that pamphlet as well. It will be interesting to see how they perform and how they are priced.

Miata Mike
February 4, 2012, 01:52 PM
The deal maker or breaker is the price point.

john16443
February 4, 2012, 04:40 PM
I'm sure we'll get a full report from bds, just like the excellent information he provided last year on the 124G HBRN 9mm offering from Berry's.

nonamehavei
February 4, 2012, 04:45 PM
Those are seriuosly sexy!

Sent from this thimgy using tapawhatzit

1SOW
February 4, 2012, 10:41 PM
I received that pamphlet as well. It will be interesting to see how they perform and how they are priced.

Me three.
I'm hoping for a serious 9mm SD bullet, preferrably with a conventional rounded ogive (like the cheapie Remington).. http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0bLcMJfXHhFxVI6ES2ftWVhQjGA6s_TQRczOnzRjwksOm7J-B

Striker Fired
February 4, 2012, 11:03 PM
I've seen advertisments about this bullet for probably six or seven months.

Come on Berry's, let US try them out for ya.

beatledog7
February 4, 2012, 11:21 PM
Indeed. I'll take a hundred each in 9mm, .357/38, .40, .44, and .45 please.

Oh wait. No revolver calibers?

rcmodel
February 4, 2012, 11:31 PM
I just hate the teasing!

I got the teaser flier in the mail the other day.
With no details of how much, or when.

I got teased enough by chaste girlfriends when I was 15 years old.
Enough with the teasing already!

rc

armoredman
February 5, 2012, 12:01 AM
All I can say is it will probably rock hard. Very much looking forward to the release!

ReloaderFred
February 5, 2012, 02:30 AM
I saw the results Jay Phillips had at the SHOT Show, and they are indeed impressive. The expansion was outstanding, to say the least. It will probably be late summer before they're released to the public.

Hope this helps.

Fred

FROGO207
February 5, 2012, 06:37 AM
RC you can remember what happened when you were 15!!!!:what: I am lucky if I remember to bring in the empty brass from the pickup after a range trip before the bucket fills with water/ice/snow.:banghead::D

springer99
February 5, 2012, 11:03 AM
Miata Mike " The deal maker or breaker is the price point."

.....plus, can you hit anything with them?

Plated anything just hasn't given me the accuracy I'm looking for. For plinking, cast is still as accurate as plated and cheaper to boot.

armoredman
February 5, 2012, 12:16 PM
These aren't plinking bullets, but actual SD stuff, like Gold Dot and other plated defensive bullets. So yes, plated can be both accurate and rugged enough. BTW, I also get very good results with Berry's plated 125 grain 7.62x39mm .311 bullet in my CZ 527M.
I use a lot of Berry's plated bullets, and I cast my own for every caliber I shoot, too, excepting 22lr, of course.. :) Berry's works quite well for me, and there are a lot of people who don't have the space/time for casting.

bds
February 5, 2012, 01:50 PM
.....plus, can you hit anything with them?

Plated anything just hasn't given me the accuracy I'm looking for.
Although I shot matches with Montana Gold jacketed bullets primarily and practiced with Rainier/Berry's plated bullets for many years, several current commercial bullets that are available now will rival the accuracy of jacketed bullets.

Speer Gold Dot and TMJ bullets are thick plated and can be driven to jacketed velocities with accuracy. Berry's HB-TP (Hollow Base, Thick Plated) bullets can be driven to 1450 fps and 9mm 124 gr HBRN-TP loads are outshooting my reference Winchester 115 gr FMJ/4.8 gr W231/HP-38 loads (about 1" at 15 yards off hand with Glock 17/22-LW conversion barrel) - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=7266869#post7266869

My guess would be that Berry's MFG probably referenced Speer Gold Dot specs for their new hollow point bullet both in plating thickness and expansion performance. I use bulk Gold Dot and Golden Saber JHP bullets for practice defensive loads comparable to factory counterparts i use in my SD/HD pistols and look forward to doing some side-by-side comparison tests both in accuracy and expansion this summer when Berry's new JHP bullets become available. Maybe Jay from Berry's MFG could make them available for us THR members for advance testing <hint, hint> ;):D

springer99
February 5, 2012, 02:48 PM
Not so sure about the Speer TMJ line, but I believe that the Gold Dots are actually jacketed bullets with a bonded core. They do shoot well for me, along with Hornady XTP and HAP's.

bds
February 5, 2012, 02:58 PM
Speer Gold Dot and TMJ bullets are thick plated (see step #2 below where copper plating is bonded to the lead alloy core "one molecule" at a time" to form a thick plated copper jacket) - http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/gold_dot_const.aspx

I believe Berry's new hollow point bullets are constructed the same as Gold Dots:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=158425&stc=1&d=1328468286

springer99
February 5, 2012, 03:24 PM
Speer Gold Dot and TMJ bullets are thick plated (see step #2 below where copper plating is bonded to the lead alloy core "one molecule" at a time" to form a thick plated copper jacket) - http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/gold_dot_const.aspx

I believe Berry's new hollow point bullets are constructed the same as Gold Dots:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=158425&stc=1&d=1328468286
thanks for the link. Learned something new today. If they're made the same way as the Gold Dots, they might be worth trying if the price is right.

BBDartCA
February 5, 2012, 06:03 PM
Why would you want to use plated bullets for a SD round? Or are plated hollow points being used by people who want to simulate their SD ammo while practicing, with a lower for projectiles than jacketed HP.

NeuseRvrRat
February 5, 2012, 06:07 PM
why not use plated hollowpoints? the Speer Gold Dot is a proven performer in the SD ammo world.

Walkalong
February 5, 2012, 06:08 PM
Why? If they work, why not?

Gold Dots are plated, and they work.

bds
February 5, 2012, 07:27 PM
Why would you want to use plated bullets for a SD round? Or are plated hollow points being used by people who want to simulate their SD ammo while practicing, with a lower for projectiles than jacketed HP.
Jacketed hollow point bullets are essentially lead hollow point bullets with full-length gas checks. ;) When separate jacketing sleeve is used to form the JHP bullet, lead core/jacketing separating can occur on impact, decreasing the terminal effectiveness of the bullet. Bonding of jacketing to the lead core is done to address this problem, hence the introduction of "Bonded JHP" bullets.

With thick plated hollow point bullets like Speer Gold Dot and now Berry's, you don't have the problem of jacketing ever separating from the lead core as the "copper jacket" is plated/bonded one copper molecule at a time to the lead core on a molecular level during the chemical plating process (try separating the plating from a Gold Dot bullet - it's like bone/marrow ;):D). This allows more consistent terminal impact performance of the bullet as the hollow point expands more consistently while retaining the full weight of the bullet.

Although I have relied on various JHP bullets for SD/HD use (Federal HydraShok, Winchester Black Talon/Ranger SXT, Remington Golden Saber, etc.); in recent years, been impressed by the consistent expansion performance of Speer Gold Dot bullets and currently use bulk Gold Dot and Golden Saber bullets to load practice defensive rounds to same OALs/dimensions for similar POA/POI practice as factory JHP rounds I use in carry/HD pistols.

I normally stock up on bulk Golden Saber bullets when MidwayUSA (http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=golden+saber) has them on sale. I used to buy Gold Dot bullets from Dillon (http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/24239/catid/5/Speer_Gold_Dot_Pistol_Bullets__400_155_Gr__HP), but they now only stock 155 gr 40S&W and 158 gr .357 Mag Gold Dot bullets. Recently, I have been getting pulled Gold Dot bullets from RMR (http://www.shop.rmrbullets.com/product.sc?productId=101&categoryId=15) but his inventory has dwinded down to only 180 gr 40S&W Gold Dot bullets.

With Speer/ATK as the only current manufacturer of "premium" plated hollow point bullets with quite a large customer base, Berry's new "premium" hollow point bullets will provide healthy market competition for both factory ammunition and for reloaders like us. My guess would be some of the OEM ammunition manufacturers (maybe like Winchester, Remington, DoubleTap, etc.) may use Berry's hollow point bullets to compete against Speer Gold Dot ammunition (and that's probably why Berry's website states they won't have enough bullets to sell to reloaders until summer). ;)

armoredman
February 5, 2012, 08:18 PM
I can't go into specifics, but I can tell you the Berry's process is not the exact same as Speer's. The people I do know who know far more about it feel this newer process is superior to the Gold Dot process. Time will tell. Time and FBI protocol testing, plus real world results when those start to come in.

snakeman
February 5, 2012, 08:40 PM
cool

918v
February 5, 2012, 08:45 PM
I hope they will be more consistent than Gold Dots. The last box I measured had a .025" length variance.

1SOW
February 6, 2012, 02:24 AM
Like 'armoredman' said, they say they are doing independent testing to FBI protocall specs. They did the 45 ACP FIRST, dagnabbit, and the others are expected to be up and runningby mid-late summer-ish.

Their other TP/DS bullets are very consistent in my experience. No where near .025" length variation 918v found in the Gold Dots.
2-3 thousandths length variation I have seen in the looong .619" 124 HBRN.
Most of the Berry's bullets I load have been the 124 HBRN TS DS at minor PF velocities.
I have also loaded several varieties from the sample packs and some 130gr and 135gr.

longdayjake
February 6, 2012, 01:26 PM
The only thing that would make it superior is if it was more cost effective. You can't really beat a gold dot.

1SOW
February 7, 2012, 12:18 AM
You can't really beat a gold dot.
:D
:D

bds
November 4, 2012, 08:00 PM
http://www.berrysmfg.com/upload/bullets/hps/New-HP_md.jpg
Looks like the launch date for retail sales has been pushed back to late summer to early fall. According to the website update, all current hollow point bullets will be discontinued and replaced by the new "expanding" premium HP bullets!

Looking forward to the retail launch date and planning on doing a side-by-side comparison with Gold Dot HP bullets.
Products: New Hollow Points
Our New Hollow Points are Going through process development with a handfull of OEM customers, our target date for release will be late summer to early fall.

We'll be offering the hollow points initially in .45, .40 and 9mm and will get it into the full line by the end of the year. At this time we are not taking orders but as soon as we have an update it will be posted on the website.

The goal is to replace all of our current Hollow Point bullets with our new design starting with the most popular calibers. Our customer service reps won't have any additional information on the new HP's, stay tuned to the website for updates.

GW Staar
November 4, 2012, 08:15 PM
Speaking of teasing....

BDS, I thought you were delivering the long awaited post. Sigh.

bds
November 4, 2012, 08:57 PM
BDS, I thought you were delivering the long awaited post. Sigh.
Sorry :D If the delay is caused by further product testing as indicated by others, I am all for it. It is better to push back the product release date and have things worked out. Also having quantities/inventories available by the retail vendors will be key as I anticipate the initial interest/demand for these bullets may be very high and that demand will probably be sustained if the bullet performances meet expectations.

The only thing that would make it superior is if it was more cost effective.
The fact that all current HP bullets will be replaced by the new "premium" HP bullets is a promising sign. Besides, Berry's MFG just needs to price their new HP bullets marginally lower than Speer Gold Dot to make them attractive.

You can't really beat a gold dot.
That's my consensus too and look forward to side-by-side comparisons/range tests when the new bullets come out. Years ago (actually decades ago), I thought Federal's Hydra-Shok bullets were as good as they were going to get. Now I use Speer Gold Dot, Remington Golden Saber and Winchester Ranger-T (Black Talon) for SD/HD. So you never know and time will tell. ;)

From Berry's MFG stand point, if their new HP bullets provide comparable expansion performance as Gold Dots with slightly lower cost, they may do quite well, especially being available as bulk bullets for reloaders.

rcmodel
November 4, 2012, 09:12 PM
And especially if you can actually buy some of them!!!

Speer has been backed up on supplying bullets for handloaders ever since they got the multi-million dollar contract from the French Police a few years ago.

I got fustrated even looking for 135 grain Short-Barrel .357 bullets I about gave up.
When I finally did find somebody that had some, I had to pay scalpers prices for them.

rc

Walkalong
November 4, 2012, 10:08 PM
Midway finally had some for 20.99, and I bought 100, but they are already out of stock already, and showing a price of 23.49 (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/320047/speer-gold-dot-bullets-38-caliber-357-diameter-135-grain-bonded-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-100).

The Berrys better be significantly cheaper than the Speer Gold Dot.

justsoIcanupvotethis
November 5, 2012, 11:49 PM
Is there any plan to offer the 45 Hollow Points in 230 grain?

bds
November 6, 2012, 12:23 AM
If Berry's MFG is moving to compete with other "premium" HP bullets, 185 gr and 230 gr are currently two most popular bullet weights and I can't imagine Berry's MFG not offering their new HP bullets in these two weights. ;)

justsoIcanupvotethis
November 13, 2012, 10:57 PM
Thats what I am hoping for. As of right now the only HP Berry's offers in 45acp is the 200 grain version.

bds
August 2, 2013, 10:16 PM
Finally! They are the new "expanding" plated hollow point bullets like Speer's Gold Dot HP bullets.

.45 (.452") HP 185 gr - 250 / $49.95 - http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14967-c120-g8-b0-p0-45_452_HP_185gr___250ct.aspx

250 ct sample packs of our new hollow points, first lot from the machine so we are calling them "Beta" hollow points. Look and shoot great but we have a limited supply.

http://www.berrysmfg.com/upload/bullets/hps/new-hp_md.jpg

sellersm
August 2, 2013, 10:34 PM
Not sure if I want to be a 'Beta' tester or not!

SuperNaut
August 2, 2013, 11:04 PM
I do!

Jim Watson
August 2, 2013, 11:13 PM
I don't see the point.
Unless you want to ignore the Internet Legal Beagles and load your own gun fighting ammo, the expansiveness of a 185 gr .45 HP does not seem a big selling point.
(But then I am debating just that, so I should get some.)
Maybe they are angling for sales to the small "factory" producers who are probably having trouble getting enough name brand bullets.

Reefinmike
August 3, 2013, 12:15 AM
aah, wish I had it in the finances... A $300 primer order from PV and a $100 bullet order from extreme has my fun money tied up for the month :(

Edit: Jim- why do you think gold dots, golden sabers, xtp's etc bullets that are used in premium rounds are sold for reloading? some people like to be able to afford to practice with a premium bullet at a tulammo price point.

GW Staar
August 3, 2013, 02:45 AM
I'd rather test 230 grain bullets, because that's what I carry.

BTW, if I reload my Gold Dot Brass with more Gold Dots, so that they look and shoot identical to factory rounds....do you really think a lawyer would know the difference? Such might require me to unload a factory round to see what the powder looks like.:D

Jim Watson
August 4, 2013, 01:00 AM
Reefinmike,

Exactly. You might well want to practice with premium HPs loaded to simulate your factory favorite.
But these are not yet proven. Loading them simulates nothing.

arizona98tj
August 4, 2013, 01:00 AM
I don't see the point.
Unless you want to ignore the Internet Legal Beagles and load your own gun fighting ammo, the expansiveness of a 185 gr .45 HP does not seem a big selling point.

I just ordered some and look forward to loading some to see how they perform. I have factory rounds for CCW....the chances of me needing them are fairly slim. However, if things went south and society fell apart, the last thing I would be worried about is using my own quality reloads, perhaps made with these new bullets, for my self defense.

GW Staar
August 4, 2013, 01:28 AM
There you go. ditto on those points......but I'm patient.....you all test these real good so that they start building the 230 grain versions! Then I'll buy them for the same reasons.

MetalMan52
August 4, 2013, 01:56 AM
I just ordered some. I'll see how they compare to the other 185 JHP's that I have data for.
Pat

ngnrd
August 4, 2013, 02:21 AM
I've got two boxes on the way to test through my Ruger P90. I hope the wait isn't too bad...

rcmodel
August 4, 2013, 02:36 AM
Hmmmm?

How exactly did you order them, when they have never been available for order on their website.

They were announced two years ago in the Berry catalog.
(I still have the catalog.)

But, they are still today not listed on the website as being available for order.

Just wondering??

rc

August 4, 2013, 02:42 AM
I'm curious as to why Berry Bullets are so far behind on this project. This bullet isn't exactly rocket science, and plating is what they do, so I have to wonder if they ran into some patent issues.

rcmodel
August 4, 2013, 02:57 AM
I imagine they ran into the same issues every other ammo manufacture ran into in the last year or so.

They can't make what they already make fast enough to fill the supply channels without taking manufacturing capacity off-line to introduce something else they make, but can't make fast enough either.

Berry plated bullets have been out of stock / back-ordered for some many months now because of the unprecedented demand for any kind of bullets.

From all manufactures.

rc

August 4, 2013, 03:04 AM
But they announced in January of 2012 ...

"Our New Hollow Points are going through process development with a handful of OEM customers, our target date for release will be mid-summer. We'll be offering the hollow points initially in .45, .40 and 9mm and will get it into the full line by the end of the year."

Didn't ammunition and component availability became a big issue after Sandy Hook which was in December of 2012?

SuperNaut
August 4, 2013, 10:49 AM
Hmmmm?

How exactly did you order them, when they have never been available for order on their website.

But, they are still today not listed on the website as being available for order.

Just wondering??

rc
rcmodel, they are still available from HERE (https://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14967-c120-g8-b0-p0-45_452_HP_185gr___250ct.aspx).

I snagged two boxes, I'll give everybody a full report of my T&E.

ngnrd
August 4, 2013, 10:57 AM
Hmmmm?

Just wondering??

rc
Magic? (https://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14967-c120-g8-b0-p0-45_452_HP_185gr___250ct.aspx)

HOODLUM
August 4, 2013, 05:49 PM
If they actually perform like the picture suggests and they can be accurate, I think that I have found my bullet for my Glock reloads..... 147 grain in 9mm, 125 grain in .357 Sig, and 180 grain in .40!!!!!!! And hopefully 1 powder to load them all!!!!!!

HOOfan_1
August 4, 2013, 08:40 PM
And hopefully 1 powder to load them all!!!!!!

And in the darkness bind them?

HOODLUM
August 4, 2013, 10:20 PM
LOL, after I type and post, I always reread to make sure that I didn't miss something. I caught it and giggled.....figured I would leave it in to see if anybody said anything.....

SuperNaut
August 8, 2013, 10:37 PM
The Berry's Beta Bullets showed up today

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/q84/s720x720/1006029_10200418888016109_1164537338_n.jpg

GW Staar
August 9, 2013, 02:54 AM
They certainly look as impressive as Speer Gold Dots........cool.

1SOW
August 9, 2013, 03:16 AM
When I asked, Berry's said that it'll be late this winter or next spring. The ammo chaos has all hands working late hours trying to meet existing demands.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-MxmajghP-V0/T0ieQvveaSI/AAAAAAAAArw/4SYnhfTnsVM/s576/84796846.jpg

SuperNaut
August 9, 2013, 08:30 AM
I'll inspect, mic, and weigh them this weekend and put up some more pics. I loaded all my .45 brass last weekend so I guess I'll just have to go shooting this weekend too!

Once I have empties, I'll load up a few and do a T&E for youse guys.

USSR
August 9, 2013, 09:08 AM
Looks like a nice bullet, but I'm gonna stick to what I make myself.

Don

http://www.mp-molds.com/images/cramer_45_render_cr.jpg
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSOTXrfv89jKfekBM28oWaB2XpoMn6F4XEFNj5fS99LWaHKd-_stw

SuperNaut
August 9, 2013, 07:18 PM
On a whim I stopped by Sportsman's Warehouse and they had .45 brass. So I'll be using new brass for the T&E.

ngnrd
August 10, 2013, 09:20 AM
Berry's finally posted a charge on my credit card today. I should be getting the fancy new BETA bullets soon!

ClemsonAl
August 10, 2013, 01:28 PM
Got an e-mail on the 8th saying mine were shipped. I bought two 250 count boxes. Total price was $99.90. Thats .20 per round. Now I need to figure the load data. I'm wondering if I should use the data for Gold Dots. Any thoughts?

Havok7416
August 10, 2013, 01:41 PM
Got an e-mail on the 8th saying mine were shipped. I bought two 250 count boxes. Total price was $99.90. Thats .20 per round. Now I need to figure the load data. I'm wondering if I should use the data for Gold Dots. Any thoughts?
It's probably going to be very similar. If you have any Gold Dots you can measure them up against each other. I've been wandering around looking for the Berry's Beta bullets but so far haven't made the purchase.

SuperNaut
August 10, 2013, 01:45 PM
I'm planning on 5.2, 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, 5.6 gr. TG. That's what I worked up w/XTP's.

armoredman
August 10, 2013, 03:14 PM
USSR, very nice - I wish I had a good hollow point mold for 9mm, but they cost a fortune.
I didn't know the new HPs were out yet - Berrys got slammed with orders like everyone else, so it's nice to see they got some production time for the new design!

ngnrd
August 10, 2013, 06:53 PM
I emailed Berry's about load data. Here's their reply:
You can use FMJ data, just don’t push over 1250 fps.

HOOfan_1
August 10, 2013, 07:14 PM
I emailed Berry's about load data. Here's their reply:

and most factory 165gr 10mm don't even go that fast, much less a 185gr. .45 ACP

HOODLUM
August 10, 2013, 10:47 PM
Is anybody besides me going to try some 9mm, hopefully in 147grain? If so, are you going to start with an xtp or gdhp load or similar?

Potatohead
August 10, 2013, 11:07 PM
Why? If they work, why not?

Gold Dots are plated, and they work.
Whoa Whoa Whoa, right when I think I'm starting to understand this plated, jacketed, projectile lingo:cuss:....Gold Dots are plated? I thought they fall into the jacketed category?:banghead:

HOOfan_1
August 11, 2013, 12:13 AM
Gold Dots are bonded....which is basically really thick plating.

Potatohead
August 11, 2013, 08:55 AM
thx Hoo

armoredman
August 11, 2013, 02:30 PM
HOODLUM, if I can get some, I will be trying both 40 and 9mm.

HOODLUM
August 11, 2013, 05:07 PM
You like the 147 in 9mm also? Cool, most people that I know shoot the 124... I was thinking about 180 in the .40. Are you going to try the load data that I am thinking of also? Crap at my work is crazy and probably will be for a few more weeks and I don't have the extra mental focus that I like to have lately. I have almost got everything ready to start loading and will probably not start for at least a month because of everything else going on. When I do, I am definitely going to try some of these new bullets. They look like what I am looking for since my carry round is Winchester Ranger. Keep me posted if you beat me to it.....

arizona98tj
August 11, 2013, 06:54 PM
The .45ACP HP bullets I ordered are scheduled for a Monday delivery. It will be a week before I can try them at the range. Looking forward to seeing how they perform.

I'm been loading my current batches of .45ACP with Red Dot so I think I'll continue using that for doing my first load workup. Depending on the results, I'll adjust as necessary.

1SOW
August 12, 2013, 02:31 AM
Jay, at Berry's, wouldn't discus the actual process, but insinuated they weren't "just" thick plated. They are being tested using the FBI protocol I believe.
I'll be testing the 124gr 9mm as soon as they are available.
I haven't found any GDs, HSTs or Golden Sabres for a long time now.

Bovice
August 12, 2013, 03:38 AM
So these are actually coming out?

I thought it got scrapped.

bds
August 12, 2013, 11:56 AM

They already started retail production - http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14967-c120-g8-b0-p0-45_452_HP_185gr___250ct.aspx

With Speer Gold Dot HP bullets (which are also expanding plated HP bullets) being very hard to find, these may fill the market void well. I just got back from a family vacation out of town and haven't had a chance to load them but looking forward to doing some denim/water expansion testing.

ngnrd
August 15, 2013, 02:34 PM
I got mine in sometime in the last couple of days. (I haven't been able to check my mail for the past three days.)

The box is sitting on my counter, all taped up, and there's obviously loose bullets rolling around inside. I have my fingers crossed that USPS didn't lose too many...:uhoh:

arizona98tj
August 15, 2013, 11:38 PM
Mine arrived Monday. Looks good...but the proof will be in the pudding after I've loaded some and sent them down range. ;)

arizona98tj
August 27, 2013, 12:54 AM
Didn't get everything accomplished at the range today but at least I put a few down range through two of my XD pistols. The start of my review (http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/berrymfg/45acphp-1.htm).

http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/berrymfg/45acphp-1.jpg

horsemen61
August 27, 2013, 01:31 AM
I'm excited anybody got an idea on price though.

arizona98tj
August 27, 2013, 01:43 AM
I paid $49.95 for the box I got.

ghitch75
August 31, 2013, 09:50 PM
Looks like a nice bullet, but I'm gonna stick to what I make myself.

Don

Don who's mold is this?

USSR
August 31, 2013, 10:16 PM
http://www.mp-molds.com

I've got Lyman, RCBS, Lee, and NOE moulds, and the Mihec moulds are simply the best.

Don

ghitch75
August 31, 2013, 10:29 PM
thanks for the link Don....

HOODLUM
October 15, 2013, 08:55 PM
Any news from anybody? Berry's website still doesn't show anything new....

1SOW
October 16, 2013, 03:18 AM
Berry's is still "berried" alive trying to stay caught up with their other bullets and accessories.

I'm waiting for the 9mm 124gr JHPs. Maybe by Spring for 9mm is a guess. The 45's should come on line first.

Rushthezeppelin
October 17, 2013, 12:22 AM
I hope these come out soon. I really want to roll some of my own HD rounds instead of paying 30 bucks for a box of 20 HSTs. It looks like these should be right up there with HSTs and Gold Dots in terms of performance.

bds
April 9, 2014, 04:13 AM
Looks like finally Berry's MFG is starting to make them in 40S&W too (155/165/180 gr) along with 185/200/230 gr in 45ACP and now calling them "Hybrid Hollow Point" (HHP) bullets - http://www.berrysmfg.com/products-c152-HHPs___5001000cts.aspx

Berry's website is showing "out of stock" for 250/500/1000 quantities but Powder Valley has 45 200/230 gr HHP bullets in stock in 250/500 quantities - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=9428838#post9428838

- BERRYS .452 200 GR HHP 250 / $55.25
- BERRYS .452 200 GR HHP 500 / $86.33
- BERRYS .452 230 GR HHP 250 /$64.67

Havok7416
April 9, 2014, 07:02 AM
I was just at Berry's website last night looking at these again. Maybe I'll have to order some from PV.

Lj1941
April 9, 2014, 10:41 AM
Why bother with PV when you can get them factory direct from Berry's?

RussellC
April 9, 2014, 01:01 PM
Because they dont have any is the first reason.

Russellc

HOOfan_1
April 9, 2014, 02:04 PM

Even with shipping I have been able to get Berry's bullets cheaper from Powder Valley than from Berry's own site.

Havok7416
April 9, 2014, 05:00 PM
From the looks of it Berry's is shipping out to their distributors first before they stock any for direct sales.

Wreck-n-Crew
April 10, 2014, 10:18 PM
I would love to give these a try. Price is not bad either. Feel the need to have my own range and testing grounds growing stronger.

Even with shipping I have been able to get Berry's bullets cheaper from Powder Valley than from Berry's own site. I would say it's a contractual obligation to insure the people who sale/distribute their bullets are able to do so competitively. It sometimes is a benefit to not have to deal with sales, advertising, and small orders and shipping. More staff, more benefits, etc. and berry's just want's to crank them out, keep a smaller employee roster and still turn a profit on a regular basis IMO and it makes since. Do what your good at and let someone else insure your sales are steady.

I have seen the same principles applied by the manufacturer of the supplies that I use for my small business. I get no reduction in cost by buying direct. They have distributors who handle the large quantities with a set price guarantee for the smaller guy. Not anyone can buy in bulk and be a distributer either. Once there is a distributer, they get an area that covers x-square miles. Once the area is covered with a bulk distributer, no one else can have the area. The distributers must comply with the agreements and are not discounted to a degree that a monopoly can take place.

rfwobbly
April 12, 2014, 12:36 AM

I recently won a Berry Mfg give-away and supposed to have a "special package" on the way. Keep your toes crossed it's the new hollow points.

If you enjoyed reading about "Berry's new Hollow Point bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!