Sacramento THR Shoot 2-22/23-03

PDA

45R
January 29, 2003, 01:54 PM
Back by popular demand. I am going to set up another shoot in Feb on the Feb 22 or the 23rd. This is something I may consider doing once a month.

Due to my increase knowledge of the ranges in our area, here are the following options.

Outdoor with Pistol and Rifle range.
Cordova Shooting Center
Yolo County Sportsman Assoc
Camp Far West Approx 70 Plus miles from I-5
Range in Lincoln
Sacramento Valley Shooting Center

Indoor Range: Target Masters : Stockton

So: 9mmepiphany, Bob, Dr. Jones, Geno, Gumshoe4, Malone LaVeigh, Pendragon, Poohgyrr, Pittspilot, Sactown, Shalako, tex_n_cal, TopGun. Your presence is requested.

For anyone else who would like to meet a few THRers your more then welcome to come out. That last outting lasted from 10:30am to about 2:30pm. It was a good time and we made many friends and got to shoot everyones toys. There was enough brass on floor after the shoot for each of us to buy a soda. :)

Let me know if you can make it and if all possible bring someone witn you that may not have been exposed to shooting or a significant other.

Thanks for looking.

45R

[Edit to include: please pick a time that everyone would like to meet via. Dr. Jones request...lunch then shoot. :) Cordova is a good location that has lots of places near by were we can do lunch, but the concencous last time was to try a different range. Yolo County Sportsman is out in the middle of BFE and so is Sac Valley Shooting Center. What does everyone think of doing a potluck or having a little picnic at Yolo , or Camp Far West before doing some live fire? Special request for a .50BMG and a .223 AR ]

If you enjoyed reading about "Sacramento THR Shoot 2-22/23-03" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Drjones
January 29, 2003, 02:02 PM
Sounds great!

How 'bout we meet somewhere for lunch before? I always do better at anything with a full stomach!

I also would like a later start time than last time...some people didn't make it 'till later anyway...

Drjones

45R
January 29, 2003, 04:52 PM
NP

Sactown
January 29, 2003, 07:23 PM
Yeah, I'm ready to shoot. I've driven by the Lincoln range...uh..if you wanna call it that. Whatever the consensus is I'll probably make it.

gumshoe4
January 29, 2003, 11:57 PM
I'm in. I'm bringing round guns, because there weren't enough last time and because I dig 'em:cool:

I'll probably bring the Sig, too, because it needs more exercise:uhoh:

Thanks for setting it up, 45R

Bob
TFL# 8032

Pendragon
January 30, 2003, 03:59 AM
Later could be better - I would consider doing lunch but its unlikely for me.

I have not shot at the Lincoln range - I went there on my lunch hour once and it was all "member only" and stuff.

Honestly - did not seem like a good pistol range.

The Folsom Lake center is *awsome* if you guys have not been there - but its more of a drive and I usually negotiate range time for wife going to the antique stores out in Rancho - less likely with the FLC location.

I should be considered highly unreliable though as I have a young child and a poor wife who spend all her time with him.

Whatever you guys decide, I will try and make it to.

Topgun
January 30, 2003, 11:49 AM
I'll be bock (Schwarzenegger)

Say, if anyone is interested in making a real FAMILY marathon out of one of these, what about Camp Far West?

A long drive and gotta get there early. Near Beale AFB.

BUT.....a completely OPEN range. Can use spinning targets, shotguns, rifles, pistols, anything legal.

Primitive conditions but outdoors in the open with concrete shooting benches. Not a formal range but an open public shooting area.

Rapid fire OK.

It would only be practical in warmer weather.

And it is a Loooooong way off. But ....just a suggestion.

Can use watermelons for targets or just about anything. No range officers so best behavior is mandatory for safety.

Just a thought. Haven't been there for couple years but skipping a 5 gal can with a mini 14 out to 100-200 yards is fun there.

I also have about 4000 rds of 5.56 US army rounds to burn off.

MELT a mini!

BUT for the 2/22 one, anyone want to shoot a Luger I can bring a shooter.

Poohgyrr
January 30, 2003, 12:17 PM
I haven't shot at Stockton or Yolo for a while, but both are good. I like Sac Valley, and haven't been to Lincoln. Lunch sounds good.

I can bring a Coonan if anyone wants to shoot it.

Rifle/shotgun would be good too, I have a Tanker Garand that shoots well.

45R
January 30, 2003, 12:38 PM
I posted a tread at Sig Forums also inviting members to come out and play.

9mmepiphany
January 30, 2003, 12:54 PM
pendragon - you and i are in the same boat...the 14 month old has worn down mom pretty good :banghead:

45R - i may actually be able to make this one, not scheduled to work that weekend so far. i'm up for lunch too...that way i can get caught up on meeting all the folks i missed at the last one. either day is good for me. later is better...i can help feed daughter before i leave, makes mommy happy :p

gumshoe4 - hey, if there was a shortage, i can bring a couple of my round guns too. my tuned 642 is waiting to convert non-believers in the redundency of an exposed hammer. my tuned python can demonstrate the "magic" of it's action.

if folks are interested in handling a tuned sig or beretta, i've got a 220 and a 96 which also "sing"

Shalako
January 30, 2003, 12:55 PM
Count me in! Whatever works for you guys is fine with me.

Some folks are probably short on time but for those interested, Topgun is really on to something. I think the Camp Far West range is also called Spenceville? We could have some great rifle and shotgun fun with reactive targets and the like. If it helps, I have a full size extra-cab truck that can haul 5 rather uncomfortably and just a whole slew of guns, clay pidgeons and any appliances needing demolition. Heck, as far as that goes, we could do a little action pistol up there too. The picnic thing at Spenceville is also eminently dooable.

Other than that, Cordova or Yolo would be fine as well.

Thanks 45R!

-Shalako

45R
January 30, 2003, 01:04 PM
The Sigs, 1911, BHP, Glocks, Walthers, Rugers and Round Guns were a big hit at the range :) The biggest pistol round we had was a .45ACP and rifle was 30-06. We need something bigger like a .50AE and .50BMG hint hint. :evil: HINT HINT

Topgun
January 30, 2003, 01:21 PM
Well, a Norwegian goose gun has a 3 1/2" bore.....

....................but........

I think we have a prob with the RO when sloshing the lighter fluid an lighting it.

Also tennis balls aren't really great at 100 yards.

:D

45R
January 30, 2003, 01:27 PM
:what: 3 1/2" bore!!!!! Your gonna have to bring that for kicks!

Shalako
January 30, 2003, 03:32 PM
OK 45R, you asked for it... I'll bring my 12gage with the rifle sights so we can fire off some slugs. Does ~.75 caliber sound intriguing? (Let me warn you, its a touch more than 30-06 but not as bad as a 12gage turkey load.)

Are you game? :D

Drjones
January 30, 2003, 11:36 PM
Guys,

I have NEVER shot at anything but paper.

I am in DIRE need of going to a REAL range like the one Topgun suggested.

For that distance though, we should carpool.

I've been DYING to try out my Mossberg with pistol grip only. (NO, I don't keep it that way at home, and it's killing me! :D )

Sounds VERY intriguing....

I'd really like to go there....rapid-fire and all!!!

45R
January 30, 2003, 11:59 PM
I'm game for rapid fire, and big bore guns!

Like the good Dr. I have only shot at paper and a few empty shot gun shells. Think you can get up early for this?

Action shooting at hams. :)

Would someone bring a few squirrels for the guys with the .223's hehehe JUST KIDDING

Topgun- Fills us in on the details of the range!!!

Shalako
January 31, 2003, 12:29 PM
Spenceville Wildlife Area and Shooting Range (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/newsites/wa/region2/maps/spenceville.htm)

Gary H
January 31, 2003, 01:18 PM
Might be able to make 2/23. Love range on metal..both handgun and rifle..

Drjones
January 31, 2003, 01:52 PM
Does anybody have a lever-action rifle?

I want to buy one, and would like to try one....I've never shot one before....

Drjones

rick_reno
January 31, 2003, 02:03 PM
When I lived down that way and was a member of the Lincoln Rifle Club - they wouldn't let me shoot my 50 BMG guns there. There were cattle just past the berms and the concern was the old berms might not stop the bullet. The maximum range was around 200 yds (250?) and really not great for fooling around with a 50. The range out by Ione (I don't recall the name) was much better for shooting the big guns, but a long drive for me from Loomis.
The range out in Spencville - unless the vistor mix has changed can be a dangerous place to shoot. The state was looking for a reason to shut it down 4-5 years ago, it was such a mess.

45R
February 1, 2003, 09:44 AM
Rick-
Are you coming out to play?

45R

Topgun
February 1, 2003, 01:23 PM
The suggestion of Spenceville was not intended to replace the Cordova Feb shoot.

I wouldn't even want to go unless it was in April or May when the weather is pleasant.

I have never had unpleasant shooting there. It IS unregulated, but when I have been there, good safety was being practiced. Everyone was courteous and they would all pause while others went downrange. It was just common courtesy.

I.....HAVE....been to some real YAY-Hoo shooting places. Red Hill Road out of Jamestown (no longer there and all fulla houses now) would REGULARLY deteriorate into a hillbilly full-auto hold-on-to-your-socks CHAOS! We would leave as the CHP regularly patrolled and the rat-a-tatters drew LOTS of attention.

But Spenceville IS a FUN shoot place just because they DO allow informal shooting. It is no fun if you like SUPERVISION cuz there ain't none.

But from what I saw of our first shoot, I don't see any potential for nutsiness from you guys.

AND.....a group of safety conscious shooters tends to set the stage for the rest of the folks.

but STILL planning on the Feb Cordova thing.

45R
February 1, 2003, 03:58 PM
Topgun-

Well the location of the shoot is up for grabs, so far its either Spenceville or Yolo County.

I'm not sure which range the members would like to go to as it seems like everyone wants the open range. :)

EVERYONE:

Please vote for a place, otherwise I'm going to stick the names of the ranges mention into a hat and have the GF pull one out.

THANKS!

45R

Drjones
February 1, 2003, 05:14 PM
I'm down for the open, do whatever the heck you want, range. :D

Still: anyone have a lever-action rifle???

Topgun: "wouldn't want to go unless weather is pleasant"???

Looking out my window: Sunny and beautiful! :D

This IS california, not Wisconsin!!! :D

Seriously, I'd be just fine with an extra sweater to go to that range...

Sactown
February 1, 2003, 05:52 PM
I vote for Yolo....only cuz it's closer. We should all go and tryout Sac Valley Shooting center. I think if you're a guest of a member, you can shoot the action pistol. Anyone a member?

Poohgyrr
February 1, 2003, 08:42 PM
We have an IDPA shoot at Sac Valley tomorrow (Sun) on the range at the far left to the range master's office.

Sign in time about 800am to 830. Then briefing & safety instructions, Then shoot, probably about/ after 0900 am.

This is SDPS- Sacramento Defensive Pistol Shooters. Other clubs shoot other weekends at Gridley, Chabot, and other places. Do a search for "Sacramento Action Pistol" for links to the websites.

Really good people, and a good time.

Paul "Fitz" Jones
February 2, 2003, 12:04 AM
How about directions from I-80 from west Sac or from I-80 coming up I-505 to the outdoor range. I would appreciate a list of outdoor ranges From Fairfield to around Sac.

I have an 1892 Winchester converted to .357 magnum and I did one for all of my adult kids and have a 44-40 SRC but no ammo as never found a right bullet mold.

No indoor ranges for me as I got enough lead Poisoning As a Police and Civilian indoor rangemaster.

Paul Jones
Retired and Loving It.

I would like to find any Star reloader owners in the area.

List owner Star Reloaders Group
http://www.topica.com/lists/StarReloadersGroup
Readable by any reloader

tex_n_cal
February 2, 2003, 02:11 AM
I think I can make it...

No .50 cal anything here....how about a .375 H&H magnum? Will that do?:p

On the small end, how about an XP100 in .22-250?:D

Topgun
February 2, 2003, 12:51 PM
I have heard GREAT things about Yolo. But the only directions I ever got were" It's close to the airport.

Where are all these ranges? I know of Mangan, Cordova, and Lincoln.

Never heard of Sac Valley. Is it the one near Ione?

Sactown
February 2, 2003, 01:46 PM
Here's the link to Sac Valley. There should be directions on the site.

http://www.sacvalley.org/

Malone LaVeigh
February 2, 2003, 02:22 PM
I have heard GREAT things about Yolo. But the only directions I ever got were" It's close to the airport. Junction of Roads 29 and 95. The county roads are on a grid. Drive out of Davis in either a northerly or westerly direction, and you'll come on the numbered roads. If you drive, for instance, north on Hwy 113, you'll see an exit pretty fast for Road 29. Hang a left and proceed to Road 95. Actually the entrance is right before the crossroads. Hang another left, then the next left.

pittspilot
February 3, 2003, 12:47 AM
I selfishly vote for Yolo Sportsmans, but will meet you guys whereever, although thet Spenceville place sounds way to far.

Oh, and the last time we went I found that I liked recoil. I would love to try that .375 H&H:evil:

9mmepiphany
February 3, 2003, 12:33 PM
i just got word from the other half that she already has plans for saturday the 22nd and it is my turn to watch the baby ;) ... so i'm now only available on the 23rd now.

if that works for the rest of you guys, i'm voting for yolo or ione

45R
February 3, 2003, 01:10 PM
After reading the responses of several posts and talking to a several individuals over the weekend. The majority of the people want to shoot at Yolo County Sportsmans Assoc. The decision was made primarily on safety and location of the shoot.

Date: Saturday 2/22/03 also negotiable
Bring your own ammo.
No reservations have been placed. This is strictly a first come first serve basis like the last shoot.
Time: High Noon :) Always wanted to say that. (12pm)
Lunch: Negotiable for picnic or meet somewere in Davis for food.

Negotiable: Sacramento Valley Shooting Center. Is anyone a member?

I will provide the address, directions and number to the range in the next post. If anyone has any concerns please feel free to PM me or call me.

In addition to THR members, SigForum members have also been invited. So add 2-4 people on this list as well.

THR members
45R
9mmE
Dr. Jones
Gumshoe4
Paul "Fitz" Jones
Pendragon
Poohgyrr
Pittspilot
Sactown
Shalako
Tex_n_cal
Topgun

Sig Forum Members
Nick
Handgunshooter
Tchanson
tacitmk2

9mmepiphany
February 3, 2003, 02:27 PM
does this mean i should bring my tuned sig 220 so we can have show and tell too...i'm looking for a good local sig smith since DM moved to OR

45R
February 3, 2003, 03:08 PM
9mmepiphany-
Try Gary Thery (I think I butchered his last name.) but he is in Sacramento.

Also if you dont mind sending your pistol out to Texas.
www.actionsbyt.com Teddy Jacbonsen is an awesome gunsmith. I've had several conversations with him and let me tell you he is a no BS kinda guy.

45R

9mmepiphany
February 3, 2003, 03:36 PM
thx 45R...i'll check into it

i'm not opposed to sending guns out of town/state but it is usually not my first choice if there is a local alternative. i might wait until ernest langdon comes out to teach another class and have him do it while he's here.

Pendragon
February 3, 2003, 04:09 PM
I am not a Sac Valley member - but even if we had one, the member can only take 1 guest to the "special" ranges. And you can only be a guest once - so they told me.

Poohgyrr
February 3, 2003, 05:03 PM
9mm,

Mark Kearns (local) did my P220. He was the 'smith at Bill Davis a few years back when Eric (IIRC) ran the counter. The trigger is good. I don't have Mark's current phone, but can get it from Tom Smith, a local FFL (TNT Guns). I can bring my P220 if you want to compare it.

9mmepiphany
February 3, 2003, 05:21 PM
poohgyrr - i used to hang out a bill's a bit too...i'd probably know him if i saw him. i really miss paul crow...he did my python action.

i'd really be interested in comparing our 220s. my 226 needs some work...i thought it was fine until i had dale, at DM, did the action on my 220

bamf
February 3, 2003, 06:04 PM
Cool, so you guys are headed to the YSA. Was there yesterday and renewed my membership.

I might be able to join you guys, my b-day is actually the 23rd and might be doing something on 22nd, if not I'm there. Actually I'm usually there every Saturday late morning, early afternoon.

If I am there, I usually am on the clay fields, so if any of you guys want to try out trap, skeet, wobble trap etc. I'd be happy to show you the ropes. I'll bring along my old 870 along with my O/U, for people to try out.

-Dan

45R
February 3, 2003, 10:09 PM
Yolo Sportsman Association
24189 Aviation Ave
Davis, CA

(530) 662-2349

From Sacramento
80W towards San Francisco
CA 113 North Towards Woodland
Road 29 Exit Make a Right on County Rd 29
Left of Aviation, if you Cross County Rd 95 you have gone too far.

Please confirm directions, I dont want anyone to get lost. http://maps.yahoo.com/

Sven may be making an appearance. :)
Directions from Yahoo.
1-6 from Sacramento
7. Continue on I-80 WEST
8. Take the CA-113 NORTH exit towards WOODLAND
9. Merge on CA-113 NORTH 4.2
10. Take the ROAD 29 exit 0.2
11. Turn Right on COUNTY ROAD 29 4.9
12. Turn Left on AVIATION AVE 0.2

jayhway
February 3, 2003, 10:57 PM
Count me in on the shoot. I happen to be a member at Yolo Sportsmen. The cost to shoot for non-members is $7/day, while members pay $1/day. The yearly dues are $40 and overall, its a decent range. For handguns you can either shoot 7ds or 25yds. For rifles, there's a 50yd, and the 2 others are either 75 and 100, or 100 and 200, I forget. There's also a shotgun range where you can shoot skeet or trap.

Malone LaVeigh
February 4, 2003, 01:07 AM
If you make a right off of 133 going north, you will be headed back to Davis. Make a left (over the freeway) and go west.

jayhway
February 4, 2003, 01:23 AM
Malone,
You mean Highway 113, right?

45R
February 4, 2003, 11:00 AM
BTW for non-members do not take any guns into the building! The YSA building is a firearm free zone! Otherwise you will have someone :cuss: there heads off.

9mmepiphany
February 4, 2003, 11:42 AM
glad you mentioned it. that can get very embarassing...i'm just used to carrying everywhere

bamf
February 4, 2003, 03:27 PM
also no rapid fire, no double taps...slow fire once every two seconds. Or you will be yelled at and possibly kicked out if Jeff is in a bad mood.

bamf
February 4, 2003, 03:50 PM
I was asked to provide some layout info on the YSA.

It has a 7yrd, 25yrd pistol/rifle ranges. It has a 50yrd and 100yrd rifle ranges. You get one or two targets for non-members, included in your range fees. There is also archery range and fishing (although I've never seen anyone fish). There is also a specialty range used for Cowboy Action shooting. $7 for non-members. $1 for members.

There are 2 skeet range, three trap ranges and 5 stand range. Trap can be setup to be regular, regular doubles, wobble and wobble doubles. I believe it costs, $4.50 for round of 25 for non-members. $3 for non-members.

BTW, if you want to become a member ($40), now is the time to do it, the membership year started Feb 1...you need to go to the pistol/rifle range 7 times (7x$6=$42 saving) and you'll make your money back. Each round of clays you save $1.50.

Hope to see you guys out there!

Shalako
February 4, 2003, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the info bamf. I am looking forward to the Sacto Shoot and meeting more THR members.

Question: I have only shot clay pidgeons informally but really enjoy it. Are there a lot of formal rules to the clay sports or can I jump right in and try it at Yolo?

Much appreciated,
Shalako

bamf
February 4, 2003, 06:26 PM
Well the rules that are really critical would be no loading of your gun till you are on station.

Also load the number shell you need for that particular shot, ie. single target only one shell, doubles two shells. Don't ever fill up your magazine to max.

Keep your action open when not on station or break open O/U and SxS. Also keep your barrel point safely, generally with autoloaders or pumps, point to the sky is easiest.

Of course there are rules for the particular game, but if you want to just shoot clays and not play a game, that can be done but generally you have to ask the other people who may be shooting with you. People on the clay fields are really friendly and welcome newbies and will give advice. Do a search at the shotgun forum or check out these websites from remington for descriptions of trap and skeet, plus some instruction.

http://www.remington.com/whatsnew/trap/TRAP.htm
http://www.remington.com/whatsnew/skeet/SKEET.htm

HTH

Topgun
February 4, 2003, 06:32 PM
The single BEST thing you can do if you are gonna try trap is to buy an inexpensive shell box holder. It rides on your belt, holds exactly a box of shells, and helps you to count the rounds.

You only fire 5 rounds from each position and the guy without a box holder is always fishing in his pocket for shells or losing count.

And you CHANGE positions after each 5 rounds. There is NOTHING that will surprise a trap squad more than someone calling "pull" and firing a 6th round while everyone else is changing positions.

I have tried for years to get the trap club to have them for new shooters to either buy, borrow, or rent. But that is the SINGLE best thing you can have as it frees your mind from wondering where you are in the count.

Shalako
February 4, 2003, 06:39 PM
Thanks! I'd love to give it a try and really appreciate the tips. There is not much that is as satisfying as vaporizing a clay bird.

See you there,
Shalako

Sven
February 4, 2003, 06:48 PM
Hoping to make it, folks... it's a little bit of a haul, but it would be nice to meet you guys in person.

Let's keep bumping this thread to the top with talk... =)

-sven in the South Bay

45R
February 4, 2003, 09:20 PM
Whats going on with the food?
We have several options
A. Bring food [potluck]
B. Bring your own food [picnic]
C. Eat in Davis before shooting
D. Eat before coming.

Please vote. Thank you

Drjones
February 4, 2003, 11:01 PM
I vote we meet somwhere and eat together.

45R
February 4, 2003, 11:20 PM
Doc-
Would that be A, B, or C :)

45R

Drjones
February 4, 2003, 11:23 PM
Uh, C. :D

Sorry. :)

Hey dude: Sorry I missed your call the other day. Work has been CRAZY, plus school is a MESS. :cuss:

We'll talk soon....

45R
February 4, 2003, 11:26 PM
Thanks DJ.
Nothing like multiple choice :)

We'll be in touch!

45R

Poohgyrr
February 5, 2003, 01:15 AM
Lunch: I vote for C.

9mm:

Dale (DM Custom-Watt Ave) did some good work before they moved; I meet his wife at one of Ayoob's classes here in town. Too bad they left, but I can understand.

Sactown
February 5, 2003, 01:49 AM
Does anyone know if Yolo allows me to shoot standing up instead of off the bench? I'd like to see how bad I am offhand with my M1A and Enfield. :D

jayhway
February 5, 2003, 02:46 AM
Sactown,
I've shot off the bench and off-hand, without the rangemaster giving me any trouble.

If people want to meet for food, there's nothing near the range. However, there are restraunts in Davis or Woodland. Maybe we should have a BBQ, and ask the range if we could hold one there. I'm sure if everyone chipped in a couple bucks, we could have a decent lunch.

45R
February 5, 2003, 10:30 AM
We have a vote for "B" by Jayhway

Topgun
February 5, 2003, 11:41 AM
There is another possibility. Eating AFTER shooting. Woodland is close to Davis and has .............mmmmm-mmm....Ludy's Rib Joint......oh god I'm drooling already.

But by then we wud be HUNGRY and could descend on the lil place like vultures and find the best damn ribs in da world.

Nice an messy so after using the wet towels and napkins, cleaniing GUNS would be a relief.

???????????????????????

9mmepiphany
February 5, 2003, 12:03 PM
another vote for "C", but i'm not adverse to the BBQ either...

topgun- now you have me drooling too...only downside would be if some folks have to leave earlier

45R
February 5, 2003, 12:26 PM
I'll stick with "C" for lunch. Though a BBQ sounds really really good its going to take a little more time to set up. So by the time everyone shows we probably wont get to shooting till around 1:30-2pm, so it wouldnt be really fair for the people who have to leave early.

Now the Ribs thing...........I'd be up for that after shooting. We just need to know how many people are going for ribs so we can be nice to the restuarant people, otherwise we might find ourselves sitting on the floor. :)

Topgun
February 5, 2003, 04:23 PM
and then sorta an "early" dinner. So think I will be there at 12 for shoot and then head for Ludy's afterward around 3 or so.

Just gettin CLOSE to Ludy's can bring on terrible pangs that will NOT go away and can cause gastric problems if your stomach finds out you did not take it to Ludy's.

Real family type place with booths, western gals, an absolutely NO formality. Even gots bone BUCKETS.

oh damn.......I am gettin weaker.

Think they even have BIBS for those who may have shell shock by the afternoon.

45R
February 5, 2003, 04:36 PM
John Paul Jones AKA FITZ-
Emailed me with a vote for "C"

He also suggests not eating at the range due to lead poisoning. As a health care provider I second those comments.

Looks like so far the majority vote is "C" Meet in Davis before going to the range.

Shalako
February 5, 2003, 06:20 PM
Does Ludy's deliver? :D

Otherwise...."C"...sounds good.

Dos Coyotes anyone? Mmmmmm. Carne Asada.

Topgun
February 5, 2003, 07:04 PM
There gonna be shootin at the table? Who gettin shot?

We can't have MEXICAN food. I'm bringin GERMAN guns.

Tacos an sauerkraut...mmm-mm

:scrutiny:

gumshoe4
February 5, 2003, 09:36 PM
How about beer for the horses?

I vote for C, but I don't know anyplace in Davis to eat. I generally try to avoid socialist communities, so don't go there very much.

Any suggestions?

Bob
TFL# 8032

Malone LaVeigh
February 6, 2003, 12:08 AM
Redrum Burger (Formerly Murder Burger) is right off of the Interstate. They have a very eclectic and interesting selection of sandwiches. Also good shakes and fries, etc. You can eat there or order to go and eat out at YSA.

Topgun
February 6, 2003, 11:13 AM
I of course meant Tacos and SIG/Sauerkraut.

:banghead:

9mmepiphany
February 6, 2003, 12:18 PM
i didn't realize "murder burger" was still around (even under a different name)...it used to be an institution (sp?)

i'm open for any kind of food ya'll would like...something along the way to the range is always good

45R
February 6, 2003, 12:24 PM
Winner of the vote looks like its going to be "C"

Lets plan on meeting up at a resturant at 11am and meet at the range at 12pm.

This will give us ample time to shoot and if its a medical necessity to add as much iron into our bodies as we did lead we can grab us some ribs.

I'll do a demographics search on resturants in the area that are close to the freeway.

Dont forget to bring an extra sweater or a set of handwarmers. It could be cold.

Topgun
February 6, 2003, 12:30 PM
we make us some masking tape nametags???

45R
February 6, 2003, 12:40 PM
Oh and as of the A.M. I contacted YSA. They are not holding any events on 2/22/03. :)

An admission covers both pistols and rifles, not like CSS were you have to cover a pistol and rifle. Each shooter will get 2 targets with an admission

Shooters if they desire are allowed to shoot pistols at 50 yards.
Bench or shouldering Rifles is okay.

The rest of the usual and customary stuff applies.

Pistol guys, There are only four 7 yard targets. The rest are [25] yarders. So please be nice and share with your fellow forum members. :) If anyone is crazy enough try your pistol out at the 50 yard range. :)

They only sell 10 and 12 gauge ammo if I heard the man right. No pistol ammo or rifle ammo.

Topgun-
I'll work on the name tag thing.

45R

Pendragon
February 6, 2003, 01:14 PM
Hmm.

the location is not the best for me, but I would like to shoot the 25 and 50 yard ranges to see if I can.

7 yards might be good for the snubbie.

I might just see if I can run Ronan up to his grand parents (or have them over) and take my wife out to the shoot.

She needs to get some time on the Smiths since she likes having them around so much.

9mmepiphany
February 6, 2003, 01:28 PM
pendragon - if i can make it (i think wifey has me down for BB duty on the 22nd) i'll bring out my slicked up 642. it is actually very usuable out at 25yds (part of the departmental qualification)

45R
February 6, 2003, 01:38 PM
Topgun-

I spoke to one of our dear moderators today and she said that she would make us a High Road graphic name tag so we dont have to use duct tape.

45R

9mmepiphany
February 6, 2003, 02:13 PM
this is getting very classy

i was thinking we'd be walking around with those name tags you see at conferences/seminars:

"Hello, My Name is..."

Poohgyrr
February 6, 2003, 07:20 PM
Wow, a few posts here...

Ok, so it's the 22nd at 1100 at Redrum and then to Yolo....

Hmmm, what to bring......

Poohgyrr
February 6, 2003, 07:55 PM
Hey, on the shotgun, is Yolo a trap only type range, or can I pattern my 18" 870 there??

pittspilot
February 6, 2003, 08:42 PM
Wow. Lots of folks. So we are going to hit Redrum. Sounds fine. I will be there.

bamf
February 6, 2003, 08:51 PM
John,

Sure you can pattern your 870, I believe it's done at the pistol range...I've never done it there, so you'll have to ask the range people about the procedures.

-Dan

45R
February 6, 2003, 10:04 PM
LOL!!!
I was going to ask were everyone wanted to eat but I guess thats settled at Redrum :)

Keep your eyes on the post. I'll eventually have another update. Hope for warm weather and lots of sunshine!

Dr. Jones also sent an invite to the GT members.

See you guys at the meet.

45R

Paul "Fitz" Jones
February 6, 2003, 11:32 PM
In my coming from the west which off ramp for murder burger?

I have made a lifetime study of the Incedence, Prevention and Treatment of Lead poisoning in Shooters, Reloaders and Bullet casters and the results are surprising. I was highly elevated in 1971 successfully reduced it, started a thread last month on the Bullseye-L list and in mine asking for responses from men that had been diagnosed with it, their blood readings and their treatment and most important how they got it.

I advocate that every shooter in their next doctor visit ask for a blood lead level test and you may be surprised. You can read my initial study draft and the surprising responses on my personal web site for my Star Reloading Machine Discussion and Support Group http://www.topica.com/lists/StarReloadersGroup
It may change what you wear to the range and especially do not eat or smoke at any range. Seriously.

I have only loaded about 3 million rounds, and shot about a hundred thousand rounds in my 58 years of shooting.

Check out my web site and on my home address coffeyn1@juno.com ask for my Old Timers 1970s survival stash sell out list to see if you may want me to bring anything to the shoot. I have already been asked to bring Star Reloader parts and some Fitz pistol grips.

bamf
February 6, 2003, 11:59 PM
Take the Richards exit, head toward downtown. Right across from In-N-Out Burger.

Malone LaVeigh
February 7, 2003, 12:36 AM
From the Richards exit, turn left on Olive Drive. It's the one light before the underpass. If you fail to do that, and go through the tunnel, you'll be lost forever. (Traffic downtown is insane on Saturday.) Can't miss it once you've turned onto Olive.

Redrum before YSA is part of the weekend ritual for my son and me, if I can drag him away from other distractions. I'm having a hard time deciding whether I'm ready to sacrifice my anonymity. Paul, it helps to know I wouldn't be the only middle-ager.

Poohgyrr
February 7, 2003, 01:00 AM
LOL,
Depending on how we define "middle age", well, I remember watching the Watergate trials live on TV during High School summer school American Gov't classes.

I think grey hair is earned, and something to be proud of (any color of hair is good, and less hair means you save on shampoo money that is better spent on bullets and powder anyway).

:neener:

45R
February 7, 2003, 11:33 AM
Here is the physical address for Redrum Burger. Hummmm Do you smell what the Redrum is cooken!!!!

Redrum Burger
978 Olive Dr.
Davis, CA

(530) 756-2142

Anyone watch the news this morning. The nation is now condition orange. IE check your top ramen supplies, water, dry food and meds. Keep your eyes out for no gooders.

Stay Safe

45R

Topgun
February 7, 2003, 12:31 PM
All loaded down with weapons an headin for a hamburger stand.

This is SERIOUS...Callin Homeland Security NOW!

9mmepiphany
February 7, 2003, 01:09 PM
are we already locked into saturday the 22nd?

looks like i might be missing another shoot...the other half has me down for BB duty for saturday. :banghead:

45R
February 7, 2003, 01:14 PM
Do something really really really nice on 2-14 and sweet talk yourself out of BB duty on the 2-22. :)

What is BB duty?

9mmepiphany
February 7, 2003, 01:25 PM
haha...forgot shorthand isn't universal

BB = baby

baby sitting duty...we have a 14 month old and she has been home on parental leave while i've been escaping to work ;) . she booked the day to take some inservice training. the good news is she'll make a couple of hundred bucks for attending :p

but it leaves me with BB for the day, maybe we can at leeast slide out and have lunch with you folks :uhoh:

Paul "Fitz" Jones
February 7, 2003, 01:41 PM
Babies are allowed at murder burger. With my wife and I having seven kids between us and having 50 foster kids three at a time for years one good tip for kids is always carry some marshmallows when in public or church as no kid can cry through a mouthful of marshmallows.

John Paul

Ask for my Old timers sales lists as my bringing stuff to the sociable shoot saves shipping and insurance.

45R
February 7, 2003, 02:22 PM
Runt was kind enough to design a name tag for us so that HighRoaders wouldnt be dogged with the indecency of wearing duct taped name tags or a hello my name is...... :)

Thanks Runt!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the attachment

50 Freak
February 7, 2003, 07:04 PM
I will definately try to make it. I'll try to bring my 50 cal, but honestly, it really isn't that fun shooting it on a 100 yard range.

Plus, is it too late to vote for In-N-Out burgers in Davis?????

and 45R, I'll try to remember to bring your ruger mag:D

Drjones
February 7, 2003, 07:20 PM
50 Freak:

Do you mean a .50 BMG???

:what:

Please, please, PLEASE come out!!!!!!! :D

50 Freak
February 7, 2003, 08:14 PM
yeah, is there anything else but a 50 bmg????

J/K I will bring my Serbu BFG-50, but I'm down to only about 15 rounds.

45R
February 7, 2003, 09:36 PM
50Freak-
Glad to see that you were able to find the new forum. You'll be the big man on campus with the 50BMG. heheheheheh IF Dr.Jones says come out, you'll have to at least make an appearance. Hope to see you there!

Take care!

45R

pittspilot
February 7, 2003, 11:33 PM
"Redrum before YSA is part of the weekend ritual for my son and me, if I can drag him away from other distractions. I'm having a hard time deciding whether I'm ready to sacrifice my anonymity. Paul, it helps to know I wouldn't be the only middle-ager"

I, for one, am really looking forward to meeting you. I have never met a liberal gun owner.

Combat-wombat
February 8, 2003, 12:25 AM
Whats the access to these clubs? can non members come? I live down south in atascadero, so i dont know any clubs up there.

45R
February 8, 2003, 12:52 AM
Access to YSA requires money. 7 dollar admission for non members = 2 targets and you can shoot pistols or rifles. You need to bring your own ammo. They do not have ammo on hand unless you need 10 or 12 gauge shells nor do they offer rentals. The YSA building is a firearm free zone.

Also you are required to be curteous, friendly, and know all your basic firearms safety rules. :D

PS I am just being a smart alec :)

Pendragon
February 8, 2003, 01:53 AM
Well, I pitched it to my wife.

We are trying to figure out the logistics but I think we can take our little guy to Yuba City to her parents, come back and do the shoot and maybe lunch too and then go get him.

My parents live in Sac, but he does not know my parents as well since they both work and do not see him as much.

Developing...

45R
February 9, 2003, 08:37 PM
Pendragon-
Bring her out to shoot the Smiths!!! The more the merrier!!!

45R

Drjones
February 14, 2003, 12:54 PM
BTT....

So to recap, Redrum Burger about 11am Sat. the 22 Feb, right?

Then the Yolo Sportsmen's Association range, correct?

Could someone post a link to their website if they have one?

Also; I've noticed some newbies here also in CA. PLEASE come out if you can!!!

45R: We gotta catch up man. Work's been insane, and school's got me busy too....anyhow, at the very least I'll see ya on the 22nd!!! :cool:

Drjones

45R
February 16, 2003, 11:18 AM
Update

Recap-
See above post by Dr.Jones

I would also like to add that since the weather has been so unpredictable, I would like to request that out of towners PM me with you a number were I can reach you.

Bring clothing and gloves for "colder weather". The projected forecast for this coming week is cold weather, cloudy and or raining. The expected forecast for the 22nd is partical cloud cover.

Look forward to seeing everybody there.

Dr.Jones your request for a lever gun should be granted. One of the members that came to the last shoot is brining out a .357 Winchester lever gun.

50 Freak- Hope to see you out at the range!

Dont forget to download that tag that Runt was kind enough to make for us, so that you wont be the only THR member wearing duct tape with your name on it. :)

Topgun
February 16, 2003, 01:59 PM
I was also gonna bring a lever gun.

My POWERFUL 22LR 9422!!!

I have just GOT to see what it does at 100 yards. It is a tack driver at shorter ranges.

Paul "Fitz" Jones
February 16, 2003, 04:03 PM
My printer died so how about some extra name tags for THR members. I will bring some scotch tape to hold them on.

I sure hope it does not rain. I will bring my RV instead of my pickup.

Arco gas is the best for the price and the further you get in a town away from the freeway.

John Paul

Poohgyrr
February 16, 2003, 04:54 PM
Levers???
How about a trapper in .44??

EDITED:

OK Gumshoe, I hafta check my .44 ammo supply, and will bring my trapper along too. Should be fun.

gumshoe4
February 16, 2003, 11:49 PM
That's what I'm bringing. My new Trapper in .357-Yikes!!!

Bob
TFL# 8032

45R
February 17, 2003, 01:19 AM
Made a trip with Shalako this morning.

We went to SPENCEVILLE!!!!!

We took
A metal spinner
1K rounds of .22cal
2-3 boxes of 9mm
100 rounds of Wally World Shotshells in 12 gauge
90 Clay pigeons
2 answering machines
A few cans of soup
One big Pumkin
Lots of water bottle

Well needless to say it was alot of fun hearing the steel plate go dig. :)

Vaporizing the clays was a whole lotta fun and so was shooting the slugs at answering machines :)

Thanks Shalako!!!

Overall range report. Go at your own Risk. The safety concious people came in spurts. Some were good and some I would never ever consider sharing range time with. Some even drank beers while they blasted the hillside with lead.

Shalako
February 18, 2003, 01:21 PM
Yeah, that was fun. I especially enjoyed seeing 45R explode the can of minestrone with a 1oz magnum slug and also watching him blast the very first two skeets I chucked for him. Good shooting indeed!

Chow Yun Fat style was also particularly enjoyable. Next time we are dragging the good Doctor Jones with us so we can do the CYF style with real Berretas instead of Ruger .22s.

Pop...Ding! That spinner is hecka fun. Too bad I'll have to weld it up for the THIRD time. Oh well. That's the price of admission I guess.

For the inventory, don't forget:
3 boxes of magnum slugs
10 or so mag #4, 2oz turkey loads
assorted CB Longs, Colibris etc.
All those stupid AOL disk thingys

Until next time......Later.

Drjones
February 18, 2003, 08:29 PM
You guys want Berettas? I gots Berettas right here!!!

Seriously, should I just bring my whole collection?

I think I might....

Beretta 96 Stainless

Beretta 96 Blued

Glock 30

Glock 27

Mossberg Mod. 88 12ga pump

:)

45R
February 19, 2003, 12:51 PM
Gentleman
The THR Shoot is only 3 days out.

This is a roll call so please check in. Remember each night before you go to bed wear your foil hatshttp://zapatopi.net/afdb.html and do a little good weather dance. Dont forget to bring some cold weather clothes and the significant others!

So here we go:

45R checking in plus 2

See y'all at the range. I hope someone brings a BIG BORE GUN. :)

OBTW Topgun's idea on ribs is still in play. So for those who can make it......... :)

Topgun
February 19, 2003, 01:04 PM
da burgers has gotta be LITE. Man, if someone could eat a big burger and still have room for ribs, they got a FULL RACE metabolism.

Still planning to be there. Bringing wife. Allowed??
Will she be only female?

Only hitch is WEATHER....... Who knows? Yesterday was BEAUTIFUL and today is crap.

45R
February 19, 2003, 01:08 PM
Bring the girls, I always encourge more female shooters. My girlfriend will be out there. :)

Drjones
February 19, 2003, 01:44 PM
Jones checking in.

What do we do if it is raining?

Postpone to Sunday?

I'd hate to cancel this.....:(

Sactown
February 19, 2003, 02:13 PM
It'll be Sactown +1
I can't make the early lunch, my buddy wanted to checkout the Yolo Range but he's gotta go at 12pm, so I'll probably be at the range between 9:30-10AM. Cya all there!

Topgun
February 19, 2003, 06:16 PM
You're just embarassed to show up with that goofy looking Blaser again.

"Who cares if it's accurate, it looks funny."......George Q. Patton

;)

Sactown
February 19, 2003, 06:32 PM
Heh, the Blaser won't be making an appearance this time. I'm going old school, bringing out the Enfield and my .22.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid51/pf9758889ecc88b2f79be4997feab2374/fc9f8c17.jpg

gumshoe4
February 19, 2003, 08:57 PM
gumshoe4 checking in. Gotta pick up the Trapper, probably tomorrow.

It'll be me only and I'll have to depart fairly early in the PM, but I'll be at muddah buggah at 1100.

Bob
TFL# 8032

jayhway
February 19, 2003, 09:06 PM
45R,
Count me in on the shoot.

Here's what I'll prob bring

Glock 19
SA Milspec
Bulgarian Mak
Ruger GP100

I have a couple of rifles I might take out there
Mini 14
SKS
Yugo Mauser

pittspilot
February 20, 2003, 12:31 AM
pittspilot is in, with a buddy, who should be checking in shortly

I will breaking in a new .22

Topgun
February 20, 2003, 12:26 PM
would put a HUGE scope on a dinky 10-22 ???

Just silly.

Poohgyrr
February 20, 2003, 01:19 PM
My wife can't make it, but the Sweetheart is shooeing me out the door.

I'll bring something from the following:

Coonan .357
4" M24
3.5" S&W .357

.44 Wrangler
870P
Tanker Garand

Sactown
February 20, 2003, 01:25 PM
Sactown.... What sort of absolute MORON..

would put a HUGE scope on a dinky 10-22 ???

I can't help it, I'm Chinese. If I squint anymore I'll be closing my eye!! :D I need the magnification!! I have this urge to put big scopes on all my rifles. Wait till you see the monster on my Savage 12bvss!!

Topgun
February 20, 2003, 02:20 PM
AND.....they cheap to shoot. If u wind em up.

(Lower one is from Steve McQueen collection)

45R
February 20, 2003, 02:32 PM
I can't help it, I'm Chinese. LMAO!!!!!

Thats great!

WEATHER REPORT: NO RAIN PROJECTED TILL SUNDAY!!!:D

Sven
February 20, 2003, 07:55 PM
Bringing the Valtro, my BRAND NEW (1944) near-mint condition Winchester M1 carbine, CZ 75 with Kadet conversion, and Glock 17.

Oh yeah, and Tucker Gun Leather:

http://www.imageseek.com/valtro/sven/_tucker_valtro_set.jpg

45R
February 20, 2003, 10:08 PM
Does anyone have a .357Sig? I have heard good stuff about this round but have not had the pleasure to shoot one yet....hint hint!

Cyah at the range
45R

45R
February 21, 2003, 11:24 AM
RECAP THE SHOOT IS TOMORROW:

Yolo Sportsman Association
24189 Aviation Ave
Davis, CA

(530) 662-2349

REMEMBER THE BUILDING IS A FIREARM FREE ZONE. DO NOT TAKE YOUR GUNS INSIDE OTHERWISE YOU COULD BE EJECTED FROM THE RANGE.

From Sacramento
80W towards San Francisco
CA 113 North Towards Woodland
Road 29 Exit Make a Right on County Rd 29
Left of Aviation, if you Cross County Rd 95 you have gone too far.

Please confirm directions, I dont want anyone to get lost. http://maps.yahoo.com/

Sven may be making an appearance.
Directions from Yahoo.
1-6 from Sacramento
7. Continue on I-80 WEST
8. Take the CA-113 NORTH exit towards WOODLAND
9. Merge on CA-113 NORTH 4.2
10. Take the ROAD 29 exit 0.2
11. Turn Right on COUNTY ROAD 29 4.9
12. Turn Left on AVIATION AVE 0.2

It has four 7yrders,a multiple 25yrd pistol/rifle ranges. It has a 50yrd and 100yrd rifle ranges. You can shoot your pistol at the 50yrd line also. You get one or two targets for non-members, included in your range fees. There is also archery range and fishing (although I've never seen anyone fish). There is also a specialty range used for Cowboy Action shooting. $7 for non-members. $1 for members.

There are 2 skeet range, three trap ranges and 5 stand range. Trap can be setup to be regular, regular doubles, wobble and wobble doubles. I believe it costs, $4.50 for round of 25 for non-members. $3 for non-members.

BTW, if you want to become a member ($40), now is the time to do it, the membership year started Feb 1...you need to go to the pistol/rifle range 7 times (7x$6=$42 saving) and you'll make your money back. Each round of clays you save $1.50.

WE MEET HERE (REDRUM BURGER) AT 11am. I'LL TRY AND LEAVE A THR THING ON A TABLE SO WE CAN ALL EAT NEAR EACH OTHER.

DONT FORGET TO DOWNLOAD YOUR NAME TAGS.

Redrum Burger
Here is the physical address for Redrum Burger.

Redrum Burger
978 Olive Dr.
Davis, CA

(530) 756-2142

Shoot safe and I will see everyone tomorrow.

45R

Topgun
February 21, 2003, 12:21 PM
If you have
a. a few extra 9mm
b. a burning desire for jams
c. a fondness for a sore thumb from loading the mag

I will bring a Luger if you want to shoot one.

Poohgyrr
February 21, 2003, 01:08 PM
Sven,

That Tucker leather (and the 1911, from what I can see of the grips) looks nice. The Sparks for my Coonan isn't nearly as purty.:)

45R
February 21, 2003, 01:39 PM
Topgun-
Have you tried using hotter 124gr loads for the Luger. I hear that a wimpy 115gr 9mm round wont cycle the Luger very well. Bring it!

45R

pittspilot
February 21, 2003, 02:18 PM
"Does anyone have a .357Sig? I have heard good stuff about this round but have not had the pleasure to shoot one yet....hint hint!"

For a few bucks, I can swap out the barrel of my SIG and go with .357SIG.

I have fired one before, and it is really not much different then the .40.

Until the price of the ammunition comes down, I won't do the swap, since I don't think that .357SIG has much advantage over the .40.

Topgun
February 21, 2003, 02:41 PM
Yep, the 124's work better. But I'm cheap and still use Blazers.

I have some Geco HUGE bullet stuff in paper wrapping. They work purty good. Have no idea of bullet weight but guess 140+

Gary H
February 21, 2003, 04:21 PM
Have fun on Saturday. I've got to work. Next shoot..how about a Sunday???

Topgun
February 21, 2003, 06:12 PM
You say taking guns into the building can get you ejected from the range.

did you mean......EXTRACTED?

This could be important if anyone forgets. It could require wearing all sorts of protective clothing if you could get EJECTED.

Hate to see one of us stovepiped in the door.

50 Freak
February 21, 2003, 09:25 PM
Hey guys, am not bringing the 50 cal, just checked and have no ammo:banghead: So unless someone has some ammo lying around I see no reason in bringing it.

Sven
February 22, 2003, 04:01 AM
Excited to meet you all.

Paul "Fitz" Jones
February 22, 2003, 12:08 PM
I have one regular round in my collection, some brass and MG links.
I have only fired a 50 once and promptly walked back under the recoil about 10 feet.

What are they selling for nowadays??

They were a dollar each back in the 1960s I call that expensive shooting.

I have one really collectible, a triplex round developed to fire three bullets at once for Korean soldiers having the Chinese over run them.

John Paul

45R
February 22, 2003, 09:40 PM
GREAT MEET!
I just wanted to say Thank you to everyone who made this meet a sucess. Thanks to the guys from the Bay Area for driving out to Yolo County. I knew it was a far drive and I'm glad that it was worth it for you guys.

Thanks to everyone else who brought out their unique toys and shared them with everyone. Esp the Luger, M1 Carbine and the evil black guns. You know who your are.

Topgun: Next time we go you and I are doing some skeet shooting! Did your wife shoot at all?
DrJones: I have your "bifocals"
Sactown: That was a big grin on your face when I left
Sven: I hope you find your mags. Your little blowgun was very impressive.
WOT: Love the collection, see you at Mangan
Jayhway: I hope you feel better those burgers tasted like chicken. :) Really they did... :)
50 Freak: I dont have to say anything. Your always welcome to shoot with us!!!
Gumshoe4: I knew revolvers weren't for oldtimers :)
Pittspilot: I want a plastic Sig.
Poohgrrl: That was one great 1911
Paul Fitz Jones: Did you get enough brass? :neener:

Till next time.

We are going to have a theme.
It will be bring your .45s and your girlfriends or wifes...or BOTH

Drjones
February 22, 2003, 10:12 PM
I agree.

What a divine day!

Hmmm....started out at Redrum Burgers for some great eats, then off to the range.

I simply cannot describe the beauty of the land we drove through, and where the range is located.

It is indescribable.

Add to that a perfectly clear, blue sky, some great people, and LOTS of fine guns, and it all made for an exceptional event.

As gumshoe said, it really is especially meaningful to me as a Californian, to get together with other gun owners so that I don't feel quite so alien about my passion with firearms.

Thank you all so much for showing up.

We should DEFINITELY go there again!

Of special note was poogyrrhs' (sp?) .357 Coonan. Any gun that can make a 1-2 ft. muzzle flash in BROAD DAYLIGHT is a d@mn fine gun in my book! Thanks for the experience!

Of course I also appreciate everyone else who let me try out their firearms as well.

This is too fun!

Warmest Regards,
Drjones
Strati

Paul "Fitz" Jones
February 23, 2003, 12:01 AM
I am such an old timer that I hate to see anything go to waste and there were piles of old aged and rained on brass there. Ane the just fired brass was so shiny and pretty!!

My list is a list of long time reloaders with a Star press that was patented in 1933. And many of the owners are Senior citizens or close to it. So we value our brass.

I was given 3 rounds of 22 long ammo and was expected to bring home 3 cottontails for supper.

Any reloader is welcome to dig in my brass bucket but I am going to load the nice 30-30 I picked up myself. And I tried to convince some to pick theirs up with little or no luck.

There were pistols and rifles that I have not seen before having been incapicitated for two decades and I will be looking at that brass to see what it tells me and I have heard so much about Glocks bulging their brass.

Well anyway, I read brass for the stories they tell when my wife does not have me doing Honey Do's.

Since the names have already been mentioned there were 12 shooters signing my list not counting the pleasant lady shooters.

I got to loan my 1880s falling block Martini to a lady and gent and they were happy to fire 38 and .357 magnums in it. Next time I will bring an original 1892 Winchester in the same caliber even though It lost value in the process from formerly being a 32-20.

I also have one in 44-40 a Saddle Ring Carbine with a cowboy story to it but don't have any ammo as never found the right bullet mold.

I think the Yolo range is ideal for all that wish to attend as it is between SF and Sac and each city has its own area ranges. Even so we are "Local" center of the state Californians and it was nice to meet net members from my Star ReloadersGroup (WE ARE IN LOVE WITH BRASS), THR, TFL, SIG,FFF, COWBOY, CALGUNS where I am also a moderator, SIXGUNS and not everyone wrote their lists.

Does Yahoo count?? :>)

SVEN had a baptism of fire for his new, georgeous, bargain and nicely accurate GI M1 carbine that were only designed to be shot at man sized targets. So Sven is one lucky guy.

John Paul

Sven
February 23, 2003, 12:16 AM
Might have been the most fun I've ever had shooting. Thanks, everyone.

A few photos to whet your appetite for my full report:

http://www.imageseek.com/sven/2003_02_22/_hills.jpg

1.5 hour drive to Yolo... California, as beautiful as ever...

Got some scoped pellet gun action in on the Beeman P3:

http://www.imageseek.com/sven/2003_02_22/_p3_match_10yds.jpg

http://www.imageseek.com/sven/2003_02_22/_saa_2shots_10yds.jpg

...then shot this 2 shot group with (non-High Roader) "C"s chromed Ruger SAA revolver:

Then took two shots from the M1 Carbine at 25 yards:

http://www.imageseek.com/sven/2003_02_22/_m1_2shots_25yds.jpg

Then shot powerful Coonan .357 Mag:

http://www.imageseek.com/sven/2003_02_22/_coonan.jpg

Met the legendary John Paul who helped teach me how to pick up brass (and so much more), along with a ton of great folks, High Roaders and non-High Roaders.

So refreshing to be outdoors, hanging out with like minded people. We had PERFECT weather.

Then a 2.5 hour drive home through traffic. But a smile on my face.

http://www.imageseek.com/sven/2003_02_22/_sunset.jpg

Looking forward to meeting up with you guys again!

-s

Topgun
February 23, 2003, 12:23 AM
That range was so impressive that the wife and I joined on the spot.

It is literally a shooting PARK.

And good to see everyone again and the new shooters too.

Yes, 45R.....Sondra shot the .22 PPK. She wants me to bring the K22 next time. THat was the gun I ....TAUGHT ....her to shoot with.

She just did everything I told her to do back those 40 years ago and nailed a beer can 1st try...No bad habits to break.

Gonna be hard to beat the weather from today. Grandkids are gonna be taken there ASAP.

Fishing, archery, pistol, rifle, 7 yard, 25 yard, 50 yard, 100 yard, skeet, trap...........Holy smokes!

I feel PRIVILEGED to belong to something like that.

This was one FUN day.

Sactown
February 23, 2003, 02:44 AM
That was a good shooting day. Excellent people, great facilities, and who could ask for a more beautiful day!! Yolo Sportmans Association has it all. Did anyone shooting on the 100yds rifle range feel a little weird about the skydivers landing in the field next to us? I look up from shooting and it looks like Red Dawn. I had a great time we should meet there again soon.

Sven
February 23, 2003, 02:54 AM
Another update: video footage of the carbine's second shot, filmed by John Paul "Fitz" Jones:

Tip: This is a large file - 3.6 megs. You may wish to 'pause' playback until the file has been completely downloaded, then play it, for smoothness:

www.imageseek.com/sven/2003_02_22/m1_mix3.AVI

http://www.imageseek.com/sven/2003_02_22/m1_cycling.jpg

Can't wait to meet again!

Pendragon
February 23, 2003, 03:44 AM
wished I coulda made it.

wife wants to get out and do it - she said she would even try IDPA :)

catch you all next time - hopefully I will have a new .45-70 (shhh!)

Poohgyrr
February 23, 2003, 04:28 PM
Yes, that is a pretty good range, I plan to go back. I had to take our ankle biter to the Vet and help with some chores so I missed Redrum, :(. But I did enjoy meeting everyone and a few who aren't on this list (yet). Got to try out a G30 (wow, as good as I've heard), a Valtro (really nice & tight, with a great feel to it), and one of those accurized Ruger 10-22's (geez, I can't blame the recoil for my bad shots with this little gem). Chatted with Paul, and picked up some fantastic grips for an old 3.5" S&W .357, he still has some left he's clearing out- you should check into them before they're gone forever..

FWIW, I know some folks were putting an IDPA group together at this range, and they still shoot Cowboy Action here too.

Looking forward to the next shoot.

Sven
February 23, 2003, 04:47 PM
Poohgyrr: The Valtro will be at all future gatherings I attend - glad you enjoyed it. I also was surprised at the Glock 30 - very soft shooting.

Thanks to Dr Jones for teaching me (in about 3 minutes) how to detail strip the slide on my Glock - 2500 rounds through my Glock 17 and this had never been done!

gumshoe4
February 23, 2003, 07:52 PM
I'll add my 2 shekels...

That was really fun and a beautiful place to shoot. I'm considering joining that gun club.

I want to especially thank Topgun for letting me try the Luger. As you said, everyone ought to be able to say that they fired a Luger once in their lives, and now I have!!

Also enjoyed that Aimpoint .45/.22 conversion (I probably got the optical sight name wrong-sorry).

I was pleased to see the number of Maks out there. They're fine shooters and pretty accurate, too.

Bart and I had a blast with our .357 Trapper leverguns. Mine is the first rifle I have owned. Bart warned me once I fired it, I would be hooked, and he was sure right!! That is one cool little rifle.

I hope everyone who wanted to got a chance to shoot the revolvers. I admit that I have a weakness for fine-tuned DA combat revolvers.

The Sig 225 continues to be a disappointment because of it's inability to feed hollowpoints. I tried 115 grain and also 147 grain JHPs, hoping that the bullet weight might make a difference, but it seems willing to feed only FMJs. Good thing I've got a Ruger if I need a 9mm!!!

It was a fine day for northern California shooters, but it wasn't just the guns. It was being able to put names with faces and to be around like-minded people who, unlike many in the state's population, have common sense and maintain personal responsibility. I think it would be very cool if the group kept going on a regular basis.

A special thanks is due to 45R for setting this up, and also to Yolo Sportsmens' Association for welcoming us.

I enjoyed meeting you all very much. If we can do it on a Sunday next time, I might be able to talk my wife, Dead-Eye, into coming with me.

pittspilot
February 23, 2003, 08:05 PM
Yep, those sure are fun.

Got a little caught up trying to sight the new .22 in. And then had to go and fire that Beautiful 10/22. What a tack driver.

Thanks again to 45R, although I will take some credit for suggesting YSA:cool:

Paul "Fitz" Jones
February 24, 2003, 12:00 AM
Since I live 20 miles from the beautiful Yolo range I am volunteering to advise everyone who signed in and some other local people in my files of future activities at the Yolo range. There are a lot if interesting Sunday activities and Saturdays look like they will always be good for us to be sociable and send some lead downrange.

I have have everyones e address that signed in but could not read Barts and Roberts writing.

I will send a post to all the local shooters about the activities if they are interested and I will remove their names from my YOLO list if desired. Your kids can fish free when you come with barbless hooks for catch and release but they need daddys heavy equipment as there are some really big catfish in there. Big net too.

John Paul

gumshoe4
February 24, 2003, 12:08 AM
Not sure which Robert you were referring to, but if, perchance, 'twas me...here is my email address:

lph10@surewest.net

Robert Friedman

Topgun
February 24, 2003, 12:19 AM
As I stated earlier, my wife and I took one look at the range and became members even before shooting.

They said we will get a newsletter. Hope so as those usually announce events and that group looks to be a great bunch.

All we could talk about today was the range. You see, we are so used to a combination of dust, gravel, and plywood that to see a range so neatly kept and run made us think we had found a shooter's heaven.

Yolo has a class act going. I am proud that we are now members. Your range officer let us use his spotting scope and was a very capable man. That also is a welcome change.

Just can't say enough good about it. From shooting in a reclaimed junkpile to a real range is almost too much of a shock.

Good day and good bunch. I hope future THR shoots are there also. (Besides, the wife and I now shoot for a buck...heh)

45R.....we DID do the ribs at Ludy's ....yummy...
That range also looks good for a THR ....PICNIC....hint hint...
IF it is allowed.

Topgun
February 24, 2003, 12:23 AM
that we may have forgotten that the whole thing was started by 45R !!!

THANK you, Nelson.

45R
February 24, 2003, 01:53 AM
Written by Pittspilot
Thanks again to 45R, although I will take some credit for suggesting YSA
Credits given :) The range is so empty alot of the time so I figured hey why not fill up the empty space. :)

Gumshot4: The girlfriend told me about you asking her to shoot a .44 :) The girl is nothing but game! She really liked your round guns. She still wants a DA/SA. Your going to have to have a chat with her about her tactical needs.

I'm glad that everyone had a chance to appreciate the wonderful weather that we had this shooting weeekend. It was a lot of fun to see some old faces and some new ones.

As Dr.Jones wrote :As gumshoe said, it really is especially meaningful to me as a Californian, to get together with other gun owners so that I don't feel quite so alien about my passion with firearms.

(I feel the same way brother!!! I feel the same way. Glad to see your Glock is reliable now. The 30 is one cool gun! I didnt get a chance to shoot your Beretta!)

I find it a blessing to share the same passions with such wonderful people. The purpose of this forum for me has always been a wealth of information when I was a newbie and continues to be a great resource to shooters world wide. I had chatted with Sactown candidly after a shooting session about getting a few of the shooters immediate area together and the results of this little conversation have been wonderful.

I found it quite ironic that skydivers occupied the airspace above us........................ I am glad that I'm on the ground and not in the air.

I decided after the sucess of the first 2 meetings that I am going to have a meet every month. March 22nd will be the next meet. All areas will be considered. Though Yolo seems like happy medium for everyone. I would love to head out to Spenceville sometime soon as it was alot of fun. You get to blast all kinds of various things. Only draw back is that the meet has to be set up very early due to the "moron hazard" that shows with with lots of ammo match with an IQ number listed on a beer as oz.

I just wanted to thank everyone for coming out and being on there best behavior! I credit you all for being safe in handling your arms as this is something that none of us take for granted.

45R

See you guys soon!

Sven
February 25, 2003, 03:14 PM
I found it quite ironic that skydivers occupied the airspace above us........................ I am glad that I'm on the ground and not in the air.

I can only imagine what those guys were thinking, coming down about 100 feet above the rifle range. I wish I had caught it on video, but I was caught up with my exotic pellet gun.

For those who missed it, I brought my German-made Beeman P3 with a scope... this gun has a VERY NICE two-stage trigger (about 2 lbs) and while not a perfect substitute for 'real' firearms training (as recoil is different, requires different follow through...), it can't be beat for learning breath and trigger control at less than 1/10 of a cent a shot!

http://www.imageseek.com/beeman_p3/beeman_scoped_small.jpg

If you missed it this time, it will be there next time I come.

Topgun
February 25, 2003, 04:19 PM
Where were you shooting pellet gun? Which range? 7 yd, 25 yd?

I have a Beeman FWB 65 that can be set for recoil or no recoil.

I usually shoot it in the back yard. It is an amazing piece of machinery.

Also have a Beeman R8 but neither pellet gun is great in wind. Did they have an indoor airgun place?

Sven
March 3, 2003, 03:02 AM
I was shooting on the short range with the pellet gun.

Love to warm up with the airgun, then to rimfire, then 9mm, then .45... and in the end, it is nice to step down again to work on trigger control.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sacramento THR Shoot 2-22/23-03" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!