Cleaning Nicotine???

PDA

Jackal
February 4, 2012, 08:16 PM
I recently acquired some old rifles and scopes that lived their life in a smokers house for about 50 years. Needless to say, they are all encrusted in ancient, disgusting, nasty nicotine (kids, dont smoke:barf:). Scopes glass are yellowed, rifle stocks are gummy. I am unsure how to clean the stocks and scope glass. One is a 1966 Browning T Bolt, with a 1955 Kahles Helia 2-7 scope (yes, german # 4 reticle). It reeks so strongly of nicotine that I can barely stand to have it in the house and I thought the stock had a runny finish.... nope, just dripping/oozing with nicotine. Anyone know how to clean this mess up without harming the wood finish or glass??? Anyone have a similar experience?

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning Nicotine???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HOOfan_1
February 4, 2012, 08:23 PM
I'd try rubbing alcohol. It isn't that harsh. Might want to try it on a small spot first though

Welding Rod
February 4, 2012, 08:52 PM
Mineral spirits maybe for the wood?

Greg Mercurio
February 4, 2012, 09:01 PM
Windex works well, and it's cheap when you buy it by the gallon. Followed by a clear water rinse, then WD-40. Remove the WD-40 and water matrix, then oil.

We did dad's whole house with windex and water. Then oil on the wood. It works.

Almost forgot. Wear gloves and a dust mask. The residue is unhealthy.

Carl N. Brown
February 4, 2012, 09:10 PM
I think the culprit is actually tar (tobacco residue) from cigarette smoke. Most nicotine is burned during smoking, forming part of the residue. Mostly its just yuck, kinda like the deposits from burning wood called creosote.

Shadow 7D
February 4, 2012, 09:18 PM
I think the culprit is actually tar (tobacco residue) from cigarette smoke. Most nicotine is burned during smoking, forming part of the residue. Mostly its just yuck, kinda like the deposits from burning wood called creosote.
What he said,
acetone or other mineral spirit
or a heavy detergent soap

Um, about the scopes, might want to call the factory and see if they can do something, cause, well the lenses are coated, heavy cleaning will destroy the coatings.

towerdog
February 4, 2012, 11:39 PM
I bought a smokers house, wow lots of wall washing, MR. Green or Simple Green worked great. Dish soap also worked really good and Dawn should not hurt the coating on your scopes

CmdrSlander
February 4, 2012, 11:46 PM
I bought a smokers house

:confused:I hope you got it at discount, I can't stand the smell :barf:

Shadow 7D
February 5, 2012, 12:10 AM
That's why they make Kilz brand primer, read the label, it says so right there http://www.masterchem.com/masterchem/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=5679559110f23210VgnVCM1000006b0910acRCRD

BCRider
February 5, 2012, 02:02 AM
All the options sound good except the one suggesting acetone. On blued metal? Sure. On any of the wood, painted surfaces or glass? NO ! ! ! ! Acetone is all to able to strip off many finishes such as paint or oil finishes. It likely won't hurt coated optic lenses but it WILL attack the rubber seating and sealing rings around the edges of such lenses.

You're going to want to strip the guns and optics down and clean each of the various pieces with the appropriate cleaners for each one. But acetone should not be part of the solvents unless it's for blued or properly coated metal parts of the guns. Oh, and obviously bare metal is fine as well.

For almost every solvent or degeaser mentioned I'd be sure to wear nitrile gloves. All of them will strip the oils out of your skin in short order.

Beak50
February 5, 2012, 07:42 AM
I agree with towerdog Simple green.

jblackfish
February 5, 2012, 07:50 AM
Never use acetone on any of the wood finish - it'll take everything off. Remember, acetone is fingernail polish remover - it "melts" a LOT of stuff! It'll sure do damage to your finishes.

kaferhaus
February 5, 2012, 08:27 AM
Do NOT use mineral spirits or alcohol on anything wood unless you know for a fact that it has a urethane finish. many old guns have varnish or cellulose laquer finishes and either product will damage the finish.

Any mild dish washing detergent such as "Dawn" with warm water will clean the residue off the wood.

Use alcohol and q-tips on the lenses. On the metal use whatever you like so long at it's blued and not paint (paint isn't new.... some gun makers have been painting firearms for decades...)

Jeff H
February 5, 2012, 09:19 AM
Windex works well, and it's cheap when you buy it by the gallon. Followed by a clear water rinse, then WD-40. Remove the WD-40 and water matrix, then oil.

Back in my smoking days I would use windex to clean off the truck's windshield. It always worked well, but sometimes took a couple applications to get the stubborn stuff off.

Lizard1911
February 5, 2012, 09:26 AM
TSP from the hardware store. I used it to clean the walls after my ex set the apartment on fire. Works great for removing grease smoke residue.

Prince Yamato
February 5, 2012, 10:06 AM
Start with hot water and Dawn dishsoap.

Jackal
February 5, 2012, 10:31 AM
Awesome, THR for the win. I will try the Simple Green and soap/water on the wood. I will also try alcohol on the glass, followed by windex, if that does not work. I'll post pics once things are clean:D.

gjcab09
February 5, 2012, 11:05 AM
I don't know why Murphy's Oil Soap wouldn't work for the stocks. It's made for wood, and people have been using it to clean their nicely finished tobacco pipes for ages.

XD 45acp
February 5, 2012, 03:30 PM
As a son of a tar coated smoker, who has been in those shoes.... One product that will do the wood and steel without any damage,...G-96. Plus it smells good.

armoredman
February 5, 2012, 04:01 PM
Lizard, there's a story behind that comment...

Simple Green worked for me to get cosmo out.
I quit smoking cigarettes some time ago, just a pipe once a day outside, and I can tell the massive difference. I also cannot stand to be in a place that reeks of cigarette smoke. Good luck on your cleaning.

Burt Blade
February 5, 2012, 04:08 PM
One more strong suggestion:

Clean it outdoors, wear gloves, and old clothes that can be washed in strong soap and hot water. That stink gets transferred, and sticks like skunk.

Chris-bob
February 5, 2012, 04:40 PM
That's why they make Kilz brand primer

Yup, take his advice and just paint over the tar. No reason to remove it. That's what paint is for.:rolleyes:

All kidding aside, why not strip the stock while you are at it and refinish it? If the finish wasn't that great to begin with, the smell and tar may have penetrated into the wood. Which means every time you take it out to shoot, you may start to smell it. If the smell offends you, then best attempt to remove it as mush as possible.

-v-
February 5, 2012, 06:11 PM
+1 on Dawn or other type of Dish Soap. Stuff is layered on, not chemically bonded on. A good detergent or degreaser and some patience should clean them up just fine.

BudW
February 5, 2012, 07:10 PM
Great question

1858remington
February 6, 2012, 01:24 AM
As a pipe smoker, and pipe collector, I have found that Bacardi 151 rum cleans the tar out of pipes pretty nicely. cant see why it wouldnt work on a gun.

armoredman
February 6, 2012, 01:45 PM
A fellow pipe smoker, hallelujah! Hard to find out here. I'll have to try that cleaning method on my pipes...good excuse to buy some Bacardi. How do you do it - run it through or scrub like a gun barrel?

IM391
February 6, 2012, 01:51 PM
Nictotine is water soluble, so start out slow and easy with the mildest products and work your way up. Be sure to allow the surface to dry before going to the next product and double check what you are using. You don't want to mix chlorine and a bleach type product and avoid amonia on bluing.

Mizar
February 6, 2012, 03:07 PM
Two pages about tar build up?!? Just use warm water and soap - works even on old and neglected pipe's mouthpieces. Ask the smoker...:rolleyes:

Boris

AK_Maine_iac
February 6, 2012, 04:42 PM
Would this be the smokers gun or smoking gun?

When i quit smoking 12 years ago i was down all the walls with just vinegar and water mixture. The house smelt like a pickle for a few days. The smoke smell was gone.

okiewita40
February 6, 2012, 05:27 PM
My moms house was coated in smoke. It was so bad it changed the color of the walls. We just mixed up Oxy-clean and hot water. took everything right off.

Chris-bob
February 7, 2012, 02:59 AM
Yeah, forgot about vinegar. Cleans smoke out real well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning Nicotine???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!