It's chilly in Hell Today.

PDA

Amadeus
February 9, 2004, 02:52 PM
I stopped into Turners Outdoorsman (our local chain, gun, shop) yesterday to purchase a new magazine and a mag carrier.

I was reluctant to head over there because the last time I paid them a visit the counter jockey was -- well --- inept, ill informed, and bent on feeding me a load of myths, rumors, and painful inaccuracies.

However, this time when I showed up the counter staff was helpful and welcoming. There were several customers waiting for help and one of the clerks made it known that he was available to help the next person.

During the time I was there I spoke with two staff members. The first competently answered my questions on shotguns, prices, and configurations and imparted some basic information in a concise -- and mostly clear - manner.

The second clerk took the time to come out from behind the counter and guide me through my selection of a mag carriers. He talked me through some options, making notes on what has worked for him and his equipment. He even went so far as to retrieve a screw driver and a spare magazine to help me adjust the tension on one of the carriers before I purchased the item -- just to make sure it was the one I really wanted.

I was impressed and pleased and surprised. If I didn't feel like a superstar when I left I at least felt like I had been treated as a customer. With care, patience, and someone worthy of a sales clerk's time.

Nice job Turners. Better. Much better. Keep it up.

If you enjoyed reading about "It's chilly in Hell Today." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
longtom4570
February 9, 2004, 03:37 PM
It's funny when ever i visit San Diego my friend and i go to Turners and i see more M1 Garands and M1 carbines then in Arizona ***:scrutiny: I've have always thought of Turners highly, but also put them on the level of chain store knowledge and am also occaisianly been surprised.

Larry Ashcraft
February 9, 2004, 04:29 PM
Had the same sort of experience a month ago. Used to go to Arctic Pawn & Gun here and it was basically, well, a pawn shop that sold guns. They were a Dillon dealer but never had much in stock. A few handguns a rifles, mostly milsurp.

About a year or so ago, they moved to a larger building and became Arctic Shooting Supply. I went in there looking for a holster for my PPK. The place has completely changed, great stock of competition gear, LEO gear, and a HUGE selection of long guns and handguns. One of clerks is now a retired cop that I know. I was treated with such respect that I ended up buying a new KelTec P3AT and a holster for it and ordering a holster for my PPK.

Sometimes retail people can get complacent about customer relations. I know, I've been in retail for 34 years. Gotta try to stay fresh and treat your customers with respect every day.

tex_n_cal
February 9, 2004, 09:12 PM
Interesting...not to post off topic, but is one of these stores near Ontario?

Sydwaiz
February 9, 2004, 09:29 PM
Have a look see. Turners (http://www.turners.com) I'd like to know which Turners this was cuz the one in South Bay sucks!

Zer000
February 9, 2004, 11:02 PM
I bought my CZ75 at the Turners in Reseda. There were quite a few yahoos/bangers muzzling everyone in the store, but the salesmen were pretty helpful. I was pleasantly surprised.

If you enjoyed reading about "It's chilly in Hell Today." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!