Presidential Candidates?

PDA

cidirkona
February 9, 2004, 04:18 PM
http://issues2000.org/default.htm

Is it just me or are there no decent candidates again??

Judging by his stats and statements, I think Cheney would probably make a decent president -- now if only he wasn't already Vice President for whom I think is a complete idiot, George W.

Is there any way for a Vice President to break it off with his President and run by himself for the presidency, against the current president?

-Colin

If you enjoyed reading about "Presidential Candidates?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim March
February 9, 2004, 05:12 PM
I dunno why you like Cheney :scrutiny:.

Other than that, I agree completely - put Dubya in there for another four, and he'll pick Supremes based mostly on their willingness to back the "Patriot" act and similar garbage and that scares the hell out of me.

But Kerry is simply Godawful and few of the Dems are any better at all.

HunterGatherer
February 9, 2004, 05:35 PM
I'd vote for Condi Rice in a heartbeat. Dubya could then go home to his beloved illegal aliens. Win/Win

Mulliga
February 9, 2004, 05:43 PM
Man, talk about the "lesser" of two evils.

On one side, W. has overspent on programs and meddled in things he has no business in IMHO (federal oversight of education, Patriot Act, signed McCain-Feingold). Plus, he would sign the AWB if it reached his desk (much like, as others have pointed out, his position on campaign finance reform). Not a sterling record from a libertarian point of view.

On the other, Kerry seems to be a two-faced politician who's more radical than Dean. He'd resurrect the AWB in a heartbeat if he thought he could get some votes out of it. He'd appoint pretty far-left judges and gun control might be on their agenda for a long time.

4 more years of W, I suppose. :barf:

grnzbra
February 9, 2004, 05:44 PM
Ah, yes, Condi Rice. Black and female. If only she were a liberal! But since she's not, none of the black organizations will back her and neither will any of the feminist organizations.

So, since it's going to be either Bush or one of the Democrats, we hold our noses and vote for Bush (unless we live in a state where he is either guaranteed to win or guaranteed to lose, in which case we vote our principals) and we immediately start a movement to draft Condi in 08.

How about a Rice/Powell ticket in 08?

bjengs
February 9, 2004, 05:53 PM
I'll tell you this: if you're bummed in November if your candidate loses, take heart that whoever wins the next term as Prez will inherit an AWFUL economy. If it's under Bush, he'll have no excuses because he and the Republicans have been pretty much in charge the whole time.

So, if you're a fan of Bush, it may not be so bad if he doesn't get re-relected.

ninjaj448
February 9, 2004, 07:26 PM
I first became aware of Condi Rice watching the Republican convention prior to the elections. Few people have impressed more. From what I've seen up til now, she has my vote for anything.

Thanks.

ninjaj448
February 9, 2004, 07:36 PM
I've noticed in this thread some thoughts on the 'economy'. What I haven't seen, here or anywhere else, are thoughts on NAFTA or the effects of the 9/11 attacks. I have trouble blaming our current CIC for the jobs that are marching to Mexico and our growers going under because they can't compete with imported vegetables from same and Canadian hothouses. Most people think of Clinton's legacy as gun bannishment and Oval office escapades, but he's the one that fought for and signed the NAFTA.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Presidential Candidates?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!