How to remove loctite from barrel?!

PDA

TonyM
February 5, 2012, 08:06 AM

I removed by rail and red dot from my Ruger Mark III and I obviously used to much loctite when I put it on. I used the removable loctite, however, I can't seem to get it off the barrel where it ran onto and dried when I installed the rail/sight. I've tried fingernail remover and it got some off, but not much. How can I remove this without marring/damaging the stainless steel finish of the gun??????
:cuss:

If you enjoyed reading about "How to remove loctite from barrel?!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hAkron
February 5, 2012, 09:55 AM
How about that brass version of steel wool that is used for marine applications? Most hardware stores carry it. Maybe blast it with a little CPL to get it moving?

dprice3844444
February 5, 2012, 10:03 AM
used for cleaning pots n pans at supermarket too

Gunnerboy
February 5, 2012, 10:53 AM
clp break free

Chip1wa
February 5, 2012, 11:15 AM
I work for Loctite's Industrial Division.

Cured threadlockers form a thermoset plastic. The removal using fingernail polish remover is coincidental. It won't dissolve thermoset plastics.

Methylene Chloride softens cured anaerobic products (threadlockers) enough that you'll be able to scrape with a popcicle stick or toothpick enough you can remove the product.

I'm not sure what methylene chloride will do to a blued finish, so put a drop on a hidden part of the pistol before you try this.

Dirty

Mizar
February 5, 2012, 11:22 AM
Take a cigarette lighter and heat the loctite until it starts to smoke - you want to basically burn it. Scrub the remaining black, smelly filth with bronze brush. If there is some coloring left on the steel try to scrub it with acetone. If that fails just get a 250 - 300 grid sanding paper and gently sand the area following the direction of scratches. Use strips of sanding paper and hold it just on both ends - do not apply finger pressure directly to the receiver.

Boris

rcmodel
February 5, 2012, 12:18 PM
Go to a hobby shop and get a bottle of Hot Stuff CYA adhesive debonder.

(Super Glue Debonder)

http://www.caglue.com/US-1-Super-Solvent-debonder-2oz_p_35.html

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "How to remove loctite from barrel?!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!