Romanian RPK, good deal?

PDA

Blade&Bullet94
February 5, 2012, 11:22 AM
hey everyone. going to be getting my tax returns soon, and was considering buying myself something fun. at the local shop, there is a romanian rpk, fixed clubfoot stock, and i believe they have the bipod, for around $500. is this a good deal? also, is this rifle compatible with all the different aftermarket ak accesories?

If you enjoyed reading about "Romanian RPK, good deal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TurtlePhish
February 5, 2012, 11:39 AM
That sounds like a good price for a fun gun :D

The only differences the RPK has from the AK are the heavy barrel, sights (sometimes), and bipod. It should fit almost all the aftermarket stuff. I recommend a 75rd drum. :evil:

Buck Kramer
February 5, 2012, 12:41 PM
Just make sure it has the bulged front trunnion that makes it a true RPK. Century built a few using the normal AK receiver without the bulged front. The stocks and everything else aftermarket should fit except the front hand guard because of the thicker barrel. There are quad rails available but they are harder to find and are ~$80 instead of ~$40-50 for normal AK's. The only difference in the sight is that the RPK has windage adjustable sights and most AK's do not. Good luck they are a lot of fun.

Blade&Bullet94
February 5, 2012, 12:52 PM
they have a drum on the wall beside it XD and im glad to hear its a good price, because this is a kinda small town and its an equally small store, they sometimes have their prices a little high. ill try and get some pictures tomorrow to post.

GCMkc
February 5, 2012, 01:20 PM
I bought two of these RPK's from JGsales. Both have correct heavy barrel, receiver, and bipod (I think it's correct),but one has straight sights, tight bipod, and overall tighter fit between parts and the other has super canted sights, wiggly bipod, and not as tight as fit between parts. They both shoot great and are quite fun. Aesthetically, they look awesome!

Blade&Bullet94
February 6, 2012, 01:39 AM
got another question on this rpk. if i recall correctly, it does not have a muzzle break, its threaded but doesnt have one on. looking around, it seems aimsurplus has 2 i like: a Bart door breaching break and your standard slant cut break, for $17 or $10 respectivly. i like the Bart break, but should i just stick with the slant cut one? the Bart is cool and intimidating, but i dont know if ill ever be breaching any doors with this rifle XD

ifit
February 6, 2012, 02:13 AM
is the rifle brand new? kinda weird not having a muzzle nut or a brake to go with it. look on the right side of the receiver if it has romania/cugir on it, your gtg. better pick one up as, i just came form jgsales site and their not even pictured anymore for sale, if they run out they usually post (backordered) but nothin. dang are we ever gonna see them again..glad i got one just in case....whew.

briansmithwins
February 6, 2012, 02:55 AM
I had one of these and it was a hoot!

Well actually, I had two. The first one I got suffered from sloppy mag disease and had a FSB that was so canted it would make you seasick. Classicarms sent me a return label and I gt a tight nice one.

Make sure the mags lock up to your satisfaction and that the FSB is on straight. Having either the front sight slide or rear sight windage cranked all the way over is a warning sign.

As far as brakes go, I put one of the $22 K-Var gill slit brakes on mine. It reduced recoil, was hardchrome lined, and wasn't very 'blasty'. I would get another one if I had another 14mm threaded AK, or stick with the muzzle nut thread protector. The slant compensators are useless unless you're running full auto.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16333&cat=286&page=1

BSW

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/briansmithwins/bsw_with_rpk_18jun10_1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/briansmithwins/452697481_zFK2j-O.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/briansmithwins/452709956_KowBp-O.jpg

Blade&Bullet94
February 6, 2012, 06:35 PM
well i dont know what planet i was on when i thought this was a rpk. on further investigation, it doesnt appeahr to be one. it has the rpk club foot stock, but thats it. the barrel is long and thin, the trunion isnt bulged, and the sights arnt windage adjustable, but odly it does have the loop for the carry handle, but no handle. it says its a romanian AES 10. also i was way off on $500, its $900. they also have a century wasr 10 for $560, and a century m72 sporter rpk, that DOES have the heavy barrel slant brake, bipod and bulged trunion, but the stock isnt the club foot XD its $630. any suggestions now?

TurtlePhish
February 6, 2012, 06:36 PM
Ask if you can swap the stocks on the AES and the M72. If it's Century then you better give it a good look over and make sure nothing's wrong with it.

Buck Kramer
February 6, 2012, 06:47 PM
http://classicarms.us/semi-auto%20rifles.htm

$600, heavy barrel, bulged trunnion, bipod, club stock If you want an RPK, this is it.

zoom6zoom
February 6, 2012, 06:56 PM
The AES-10 was the one with the wrong barrel, etc. The AES-10B is the current production with the problems fixed. $900 is about twice what that rifle should sell for.

All their prices are off the wall, and on the wall is where their rifles should remain.

CnRnut
February 6, 2012, 06:58 PM
Century has the AES 10b for $499 this month.

Blade&Bullet94
February 7, 2012, 03:21 AM
ya i suppose. theyr a small town shop catering mostly to hunters. i even tried asking the guy there and he told me i could probley teach him about "those kind of rifles" because he didnt have a clue.

briansmithwins
February 7, 2012, 03:31 AM
Between Classicarms and CAI, I'd pay the extra $100 to Classic as they won't bone you if the rifle is screwed up.

BSW

If you enjoyed reading about "Romanian RPK, good deal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!