Trimming the telephone pole!

PDA

C5rider
February 6, 2012, 12:51 AM
I've got a Ruger Blackhawk 357 that I love but, there's only one hitch. That front sight! :what:

I had it out last weekend and we were shooting 100 yards out to some "reactive targets". Problem wasn't with the height of the front sight, but you could hide a VW behind that thing at 100 yards. I was wondering if anyone has thinned down the top part of the sight so that it isn't so thick. You could leave the bottom section the standard thickness so that your windage doesn't get sloppy. Anyone done this?

I know that there's always the 6 o'clock hold so that things don't get behind the sight, I've always held that "Where the dot is, where the spot is!" I've got fiber optic sights on my other gun and it works for me. It doesn't matter much on a closer shot, but when I want to reach out and touch something, it gets pretty big, pretty fast.

I was thinking of thinning down the top part and putting a dab of orange paint for the hole indicator. Just wondering if anyone else has done this. Pics of such work and an evaluation of the benefits would be awesome.

If you enjoyed reading about "Trimming the telephone pole!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CraigC
February 6, 2012, 01:09 AM
That would be a step in the wrong direction. The six o`clock hold is the only way to do it. Nobody who shoots sixguns at long range uses anything but a good post front sight. And by long range, I mean a lot longer than 100yds. So it sounds to me like your problem is more technique than equipment.

rcmodel
February 6, 2012, 12:58 PM
+1
Learn the Six-O'Clock hold.

You can't make a front sight thin enough that a small target can't hide behind it at 100 or more yards.
And if you can't see it, you can't hit it.

Setting the target on top of the front sight blade is the only-est way to do it if you want to hit it.

rc

C5rider
February 6, 2012, 01:52 PM
Guess I'll just have to re-adjust my sights... :(

Thanks guys.

If you enjoyed reading about "Trimming the telephone pole!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!