Makarov/cz 82

PDA

jrkfantom
February 6, 2012, 01:57 AM
Hey guys, i'm considering buying a cz 82 or a bulgarian makarov. After a bit of reading though, i'm concerned about losing my brass. I'll be trimming 9x19 to 9x18, and after all that work for a couple hundred cases i'd hate to not be able to find any of it. Any of you guys with a mak or cz be able to tell me about how much of my brass i'll be likely to recover?

If you enjoyed reading about "Makarov/cz 82" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
joneb
February 6, 2012, 03:21 AM
With my EG Mak I'm happy to recover 90%

Mark the case heads with a marking pen, in case there is untrimmed 9x19 laying about.

I use a 19 LBS recoil spring it helps keep the brass closer The last shot will launch that brass in a different location, that's where the bulk of the missing 10% lies.

jrkfantom
February 6, 2012, 11:34 AM
Is it safe to say that the distance and spread of the brass is like that of an ak?

joneb
February 6, 2012, 12:44 PM
Is it safe to say that the distance and spread of the brass is like that of an ak?

It depends on the load. The hotter the load the farther the brass flies and the more it spreads out.

beatledog7
February 6, 2012, 12:56 PM
Don't mean to hijack, but I wasn't aware that one could simply trim Luger brass to Makarov length. You still need a set of 8x18 dies, right?

rikman
February 6, 2012, 02:20 PM
I just installed some 9mm Mak dies on one of my turrets and was looking at the specs of both cases ...they're not the same, 9mm luger is a tapered case more so than the Mak.....

cougar1717
February 6, 2012, 02:44 PM
how much of my brass i'll be likely to recover?

How tall are the weeds where you shoot? :)

CZ 82/83's eject the brass almost horizontally. You'll find most of it 90 degrees to your right about 12-15ft away. No comment on how long or what percentage you're likely to find. When working up a load with cut 9x19 cases, I take a large box with me. Shooting the gun rested on some sandbags, I just put the box directly to the right of the gun with the bottom flap pushed into the box at an angle so that the hot brass doesn't fly out and get my arm. 100% recovery.
Now, if I could only find a way to stand up and recover all that brass. Maybe it's time to get one of those electro-brass-magnets that's strong enough to attract my empties into a neat, little pile! ;)

BemidjiDweller
February 6, 2012, 02:52 PM
9x18 launch into low orbit, I find a brass net with a box or tarp under it will contain them to a nice area. Just make sure you are not too far away from the net, mine likes to launch them over if I am too far away.

bluetopper
February 6, 2012, 08:48 PM
Cut 1mm of length of 9mm Luger (9x19) brass to make it 9x18. Then use your 9mm Mak dies to bell the case mouth and charge the case, seat and crimp your .364" bullet then firing, fire forms the brass and takes the slight taper out of it.

Marlin 45 carbine
February 7, 2012, 11:52 AM
I have a Makarov - I've found that Wolf military classic (camo box) and silver bear ammo both shoot well in it. just a bit sooty though. cheap, reliable and hard hitting but of course no reload. I do have dies so I scrounge range brass cases to load, a warm load with jhp - they shoot good too - a bit better groups than the Russki ammo. Hornady seems to be the best slug for them and PP the best powder so far.

jdgreen
February 8, 2012, 11:54 PM
Shooting outdoors, 80% is good recovery in my book. 60 or 70 percent is probably more typical. Mine chucks it 15-20 feet. If I have the space, I lay out a large painters tarp for the brass to land on. I haven't found a brass catcher that I like or that works any better than picking it off the ground.

I use a red sharpie and mark the head stamp on my reloads. If I see anyone else picking up brass, I tell them to beware of the stripe on it. They usually find some of mine and give them to me :)

For trimming the 9mm luger I use the Lee 3 jaw chuck in my cordless drill with the ball-handled trimmer. I can do 3 or 4 a minute that way. I've probably done a couple thousand that way (at least). Lee's makarov case length gauge is to big to fit in the tapered Luger case unless you flare the case first. If you take some material off the shoulder (widest part) of the case length gauge, you can save that flaring step.

Hope that helps.

wingman
February 9, 2012, 09:46 AM
While not difficult to trim 9mm down to size I prefer to use 9x18 brass, I purchased some star brass and have found other 9x18 brass once fired, since I also load 9mm just don't want to risk the mix up or marking cases.

If you enjoyed reading about "Makarov/cz 82" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!